As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uncharted!] You used to Chloe on my cell phone

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Social Entropy++
301?cb=20100313020106

This is Nathan Drake

uncharted-3-donut-nate.jpg

This is also Nathan Drake

drake-cover-990.jpg

This is Canadian musician Drake

Uncharted-Nathan-Drake-Collection-Screenshots-700x350.jpg

Two of those three are featured in the Nathan Drake Collection, the collection of all 3 Uncharted games for PS4

Now running at 1080p and 60 frames per section, the Collection is a remastering of 3 incredible games, all to get prepped for

maxresdefault.jpg

Coming out March 18th, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0xy74Zrj8

It's still bonkers, as well as lethally charming

With the Collection just released, now's as good a time as any to reminisce

As well as remind me I should rewatch Indiana Jones

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Uncharted games are super fun. I got the trophies for beating all three on "crushing" or whatever way back when but I heard they added a mode even harder than that and I don't know if I have it in me.

Also I've played Uncharted 2 like 4 times, it's one of the few games I've replayed.

• Options
    So, decent chance this thread is just dead in the water

But one thing I learned about these games that I am finally putting into action playing them again via the collection

is the combat is WAY more fun when you actually take advantage of the mobility

Just run around blindfiring at dudes and punching them

It's a fairly unique way to play it that you can't really get out of most cover-based shooters

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    My favorites, in order

1) Uncharted 2
    2) Tomb Raider 2013
    3) Uncharted 1
    4) Uncharted 3

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The re-everything they've done on UC1 looks amazing, but once I heard that they'd gone back and actually fixed the shooting in UC3, that pushed the Drake collection up to must buy (at some point) for me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    The re-everything they've done on UC1 looks amazing, but once I heard that they'd gone back and actually fixed the shooting in UC3, that pushed the Drake collection up to must buy (at some point) for me.

I have not played 1 in years, but it feels fantastic and I'm having a ton of fun, even playing on Crushing

Also if I recall correctly a lot of the UC3 fixes were patched in within a year of that game coming out

That was such a weird thing, cause nobody could really articulate what was wrong with it, not even Naughty Dog

They just kinda had to fumble around until it was suddenly better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It was better, but it was never great.
    The most important change is actually apparent right out of the gate - a reduction in input latency. When Uncharted 3 first launched, users complained of sluggish aiming in comparison to its prequels. Of the three games, Uncharted 3 suffers from the highest input latency by quite a wide margin. In response to these complaints, Naughty Dog attempted to rectify the situation by implementing an alternate aiming mode in the first patch. Yet, even with this change in place, the game just didn't feel quite right.

In the move to PlayStation 4, Bluepoint is given the opportunity to finally put this issue to rest - and we feel it has succeeded: Drake's Deception now offers quick, responsive controls that are a pleasure to use. It's easier than ever to pull off accurate shots and there is never a sense that camera movement is weighed down by unwanted latency. Quite frankly, no game in this collection needed this tweak more than Uncharted 3, and the results here are excellent.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I only played 3 when it came out, and the change in gunplay frustrated me so much which is why I placed it below 1

I'd probably rank it higher after playing the updated version

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I love the banter in these games. In fact, the banter is one of the chief reasons why, as much as I like Tomb Raider 2013, I like the Uncharted games far more for the character interactions.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I only played 3 when it came out, and the change in gunplay frustrated me so much which is why I placed it below 1

My main issue with 3 was that it felt like they thought of these awesome setpieces (and DAMN were they awesome!) and then built the story around them.

And anyway the story felt kind of crap compared to the first two as a result, even though I thought the gameplay was top notch.

broken image link
  • Options
    Specifically they thought of the tech first, then built the setpieces around that, then built the story around the setpieces.

That's why the water looks amazing in the cruise ship pirate level in this game about a secret city in the desert.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I am having a helluva time going through Uncharted 1.

It just seems so rough! Uncharted 2 did every single thing (except for less Elena) better and having played it going back is so tough.

Also, shit damn, am I glad Naughty Dog learned what motherfucking checkpoints were between games. Christ, some of these bits are still so goddamn annoying.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I was waffling debating buying this at launch but with the Witcher 3 expansion and Fallout on the horizon, I figure I can wait a few months

Definitely gonna buy it before UC4 though

• Options
    I was gonna wait on the collection

But it was my birthday this past weekend and someone handed me a $50 Best Buy card and I went "well..." and now I have it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

My main issue with 3 was that it felt like they thought of these awesome setpieces (and DAMN were they awesome!) and then built the story around them.

And anyway the story felt kind of crap compared to the first two as a result, even though I thought the gameplay was top notch.

To be fair, that's how all of the Uncharted games have been made (as well as most story-based games in general), which makes it pretty remarkable that the stories in the first two were as good as they were.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

The bug for making the baddies spawn in the water room still exists in the remastered game!

broken image link
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    This is what sold me on a PS4. Bought it that Friday. Still getting through UC1, normal difficulty. I'm not a masochist, and I love the puzzle solving 1000% more than the shooting parts anyway. Especially later on when those armored fucks come out. What's funny is that the first four games this system is going to have are all Naughty Dog games. The three Uncharteds, and I plan on picking up The Last of Us once I get through them.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brutal most definitely lives up to its name. Seems like it takes about 2 shots to get killed, and I haven't been able to pull off a Steel Fist combo yet. It seems to just, not work.

• Options
    I started The Last of Us in August and didn't get very far because I'm terrible at it. I think I died in every encounter. Then I started (and finished) Until Dawn and haven't gone back to Last of Us yet.

Whenever I do I'm gonna have to change the difficulty

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    UC4 makes me want a PS4, but I think I can wait. It's been ages since I played the Uncharted games, and elements of 3 left a bad taste in my mouth after the masterpiece and multiplayer dominatining that was Uncharted 2 for me. Maybe in the future when I have a PS4 I'll get it and this collection.

At any rate, these games and The Last of Us have cemented Naughty Dog as a studio I can get behind, even with their minor quirks and multiplayer hiccups, and I really hope I can get into that stuff again someday.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    If anyone values their sanity, don't try brutal difficulty. I'm on chapter 4 and I quit. Thank god it's not part of the list for the platinum trophy. Still, I feel like I need to burn my house down to rid the world of it's evil.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    These are some of the only games I can stand to play on hard difficulties, just cause you can take them kinda one at a time with each checkpoint

Which doesn't work as well in, say, Last of Us, cause there's overarching stuff in that game like resources you pick up and stuff you build

In Uncharted you are either alive or dead and that's about it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well that's.... unsettling.

• Options
    About half way through the first one and I'm beginning to remember how much the gun fighting kinda sucks. On top of there just being way too many dudes. After the first hundred guys you kill, these guys should have been screw that noise. I've just about killed all the pirate guys, and now the laser sight guys come and annoy the crap out of me. Always way too many bad guys in these games.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I've been playing through 2 since last week, and I just got to the blue guys and said fuck it, I give up.

I think I've done the same thing every time I've tried to play through it since it was originally released.

Maximum on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    About half way through the first one and I'm beginning to remember how much the gun fighting kinda sucks. On top of there just being way too many dudes. After the first hundred guys you kill, these guys should have been screw that noise. I've just about killed all the pirate guys, and now the laser sight guys come and annoy the crap out of me. Always way too many bad guys in these games.

incorrect

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    drake's fortune on crushing. it's been too long, old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk42liDf8bk

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I've been playing through 2 since last week, and I just got to the blue guys and said fuck it, I give up.

I think I've done the same thing every time I've tried to play through it since it was originally released.

use arrows

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

You're so close to the end!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    bsjezz wrote: »

This is the exact checkpoint where I gave up on Brutal.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »

This is the exact checkpoint where I gave up on Brutal.

do you need to play through on crushing to unlock brutal?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Yep. I'm just glad that Brutal isn't part of the main trophy list required for the platinum.

• Options
    Lol, you all are talking about brutal and crushing and I'm over here thinking about going to easy just to get past these stupid monsters in the bunker. My absolute least favorite part is this bunker, lol.

• Options
    i never understood why people hate the water room. such a great challenge - it's like, if you hate this, why play the game at all? strategic combat bliss

https://youtu.be/_ITs18B8zz4

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Probably because most people don't play it enough to know the spawn points or where they need to be at a certain point during the encounter. Like when the guys come out from behind you. If you don't know that's going to happen, you're dead trying to figure out where the hell those guys came from. It can be frustrating to repeat encounters.

• Options
    I always found the courtyard outside of the church and library far more irritating than the flooded room. Even more so since you have to fight through the area twice.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Probably because most people don't play it enough to know the spawn points or where they need to be at a certain point during the encounter. Like when the guys come out from behind you. If you don't know that's going to happen, you're dead trying to figure out where the hell those guys came from. It can be frustrating to repeat encounters.

eh, i guess. and i have played a hell of a lot of drake's fortune. but if you're going to go as far as glitching out the game to avoid a couple of enemy spawns, it's kind of beyond just not knowing where those spawns are

anyway. it's true that the better you know the game the more rewarding it is. such as the two locations where you can actually use stealth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGeiW2mhRs

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    last few vids from uncharted in case anyone's interested. part of the last chapter on crushing, and a couple of areas in brutal. i don't have the time or patience to beat the whole game on brutal but it's interesting to skip through and try out some of the cool areas. i may try the last courtyard / church encounter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQLrMKnOlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe_7kJsvrOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDGrcqMjgz8

now on to among thieves!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Omfg, stupid helicopter timed event, I hate you so much, I can't believe I forgot it existed.