As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uncharted!] You used to Chloe on my cell phone

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    GodDAMN

Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and the beta back-to-back make Uncharted 1 feel like the 2007iest 2007 game there ever was

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Finally loaded the Collection back up since the beta's over

One thing I was thinking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUYzDgs498

I think the Uncharted theme is one of the only recognizable orchestral themes in video games, currently

And that's for a good reason, cause it's real good

We haven't heard it yet for 4, and that's mildly distressing!

• Options

I think the Uncharted theme is one of the only recognizable orchestral themes in video games, currently

Good

Think about how cool it'll be when it shows up for the first time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Huh. Greg Edmonson isn't doing the music this time, Henry Jackman is.

Hmm.

Hmm.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUYzDgs498

I actually use the theme for the alarm on my phone. The day always turns out less epic than I think it'll be when waking up.

• Options

Good

Think about how cool it'll be when it shows up for the first time

My fear is that it won't

That'd be crazy, I know

But it's a whole different composer!

• Options
    John Williams isn't doing the music for future Star Wars movies, but you bet you're gonna hear his Star Wars theme in Episode 9

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    John Williams isn't doing the music for future Star Wars movies, but you bet you're gonna hear his Star Wars theme in Episode 9

I'm just saying

Uncharted 3's beta, you loaded right into the main menu with the theme going

4 was much more subdued!

(I actually agree with you)

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I may be a heathen, but I pretty much turn the music off on every game I play. I find it more distracting than anything else.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I may be a heathen, but I pretty much turn the music off on every game I play. I find it more distracting than anything else.

This is basically a nightmare scenario for me.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    alternatively, I'd happily have my entire life be subtly backed by the galaxy map music in Mass Effect

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Huh. Greg Edmonson isn't doing the music this time, Henry Jackman is.

Hmm.

Hmm.
    https://youtu.be/8U-TTvP0J98
    I'm okay with Jackman, so long as the soundtrack heralds the appearance of the villain with a discordant hawk screech every time.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Going through 3, I'm reminded of how some of its greatest strengths are also its biggest flaws.
    The whole boat graveyard/cruiseship bit is an amazing setpiece, both gameplay wise and technologically. It is one of the absolute highlights of that game.

It is also completely useless. It accomplishes nothing and is clearly, painfully shoehorned in. It's basically an Uncharted minisode, it could be removed entirely from the game and just be played on its own. There's a villain you're introduced to in the opening cutscene and who is dispatched at the end with no influence on the larger plot. The entire motivation for the thing, rescuing Sully, is for naught when it's revealed that of course they didn't have him. Not even thematically does it remotely fit in, a game about the Atlantis of the Sands, about traversing the Rhub 'al Khali desert, about Lawrence of Arabia and you're on a boat fighting pirates?

And when it ends, Drake is propelled off the boat where he clings onto driftwood until fate spits him back onto land and into the story again. They couldn't even write a way for him to get back to land, he literally just washes up on a beach apparently within walking distance of Elena's apartment. It's an incredibly poor implementation of an amazing gameplay sequence that probably shouldn't have been in the game to begin with.

But holy crap does the improved shooting help.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I have a secret

i've always liked the jetski part

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I have a secret

i've always liked the jetski part

It's close to being good

If it let you drive and shoot at the same time and kept the grenade launcher the whole time, I'd really enjoy it!

• Options
    Or, if you were doing driving or shooting, the other would be automatic.

• Options
    The second jetski part where they take away the grenade launcher, you can actually drive and shoot at the same time. Not surprisingly, running and gunning it gets you through that part a whole lot quicker.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Finished 3. There's a lot of really good stuff in there and there's some issues.
    Already talked about the pirate bit. The djinn enemies were a bad idea. I liked them thematically, I liked the story of them being figments of Drakes hallucinations overlaid on regular enemies, but gameplay-wise they sucked. More bulletspongy than any UC1 enemy, no way to stagger them which means that they will just run up on you and shoot you and you have nothing you can do other than run. And you can't even really run, because they teleport around, so you can be behind cover and suddenly, so are they. But worse, since it's usually flat cover, you can either be on one side of the cover or the other and they just teleported to the side of it, so you're not protected on either side. Basically you just die a lot until you hit the right combination of running around, grabbing explosive weapons and having sniper weapons on you. At least it's short, I think there's only three or four djinn encounters.

The story is also weaker than UC2. Part of it was losing Graham McTavish halfway through, I really liked Cutter and it just felt flat that here's this interesting new chara--oh sorry, he broke his leg, he's gone for the rest of the game. And then the story just kinda falls apart. The whole pirate thing is random, Drake making it back to Yemen is random, Drake wanders randomly through the desert until he stumbles upon Marlowe's men, Salim showing up feels completely random, he's not attacking Marlowe's men because he wants to stop her from reaching Iram, he doesn't know about it until Drake tells him, they're basically just attacking Marlowe because they pulled aggro? And then he knows all about Iram, except where it is, Sully is the only one who knows that, except at the end, Salim shows up in Iram to save them. It's a mess.

Also Talbot, Marlowe's head goon, is just magic and that's never explained.

There's tons of great setpieces in the game, the burning chateau, the cruise ship, the abandoned village in the desert, the puzzles are better than UC2, but the way they wrote the script, starting with making up setpieces based on tech and then writing the story to string them together, that's just bad.

In short, UC3 should have been better than it was.

Now bring on UC4.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I think Uncharted 1 is singlehandedly propped up by the chemistry between Nolan North, Emily Rose, and Richard McGonagle

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm currently at 7:05 of my Uncharted 2 Crushing run, I have the crossing, the boss fight and the dash at the end to go. Do I make it under 8 hours?
    9? Lazarevic was a bitca on Normal, I dread him on Crushing.

Edit: 07:26:36, Uncharted 2 on Crushing. It's not exactly a speed run but I feel good about it.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I just booted this back up after a few months off to finish the last hour or so of Uncharted 3

I think that one's probably my favorite of the remaster! With the gunplay all polished up it's a blast to play, and besides the pacing destroyer that is the pirate section, I really love the story!

The ending supernatural bits weren't fun, though. Which is a shame, because
    everything after the hallucination is fun

I'd forgotten how cool the fight with Talbot at the end is, and Drake's "I've got nothin to prove" and then immediately contradicting himself is a really good character moment

• Options
    For the record, I have no intention of changing this thread title until at least the game is out

And even then, only maybe

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    We know he's in the next game, so it's all good.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I really like those shots of Nathan and Elena on the couch. I hope that doesn't mean she's sidelined like...an hour into the game.

• Options
    Nope nope nope nope

Game's out in 2 months, I like not knowing what it's even about

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. The production values on this thing are amazing. I'm not the biggest Uncharted fan in the world, I played and enjoyed them all as soon as they went on sale for the first time, but this? I'm so down with this. I'll have to get my greedy mitts on it day 1.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Nope nope nope nope

Game's out in 2 months, I like not knowing what it's even about

Yeah, I watched the E3 game play and went "OK I'm getting this" and I'm not watching any more

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Fuck that's an amazingly pretty game.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    edit: wrong thread

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I hate it but i have to give Sony credit for delaying it as much as they feel they need it.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Turns out there was a lot of Assassin's Creed concept art

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    2 days before my next week of vacation. I'll take it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jayricho wrote: »

One day before my third child is born... Shit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Well if it's the third it should be so routine that you probably don't even need to be there.

But this is the fourth Uncharted. You've got to totally be home to play it.

Viskod on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    picked up the ps4 collection today and started playing these

is the whole enemies being bullet sponges thing just an element of the first game, or is that basically an uncharted thing in general

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »

One day before my third child is born... Shit.

just tell your wife to hold it in

broken image link
  • Options
    It's pretty much bullet sponge all the way through. It just gets worse the farther you get into each game.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    my brother and i played through the whole thing on the easiest difficulty setting just to look at the scenery