As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uncharted!] You used to Chloe on my cell phone

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It's just, the platforming is terrible. Half the time you'll go flying off course, or fail to initiate a jump. Just, it feels like dry gears trying to get Drake to do what I want to.

It's also fun when you get dropped into a combat arena with one point of solid cover, with enemies flanking you from both sides and getting genade spammed.

You get through it, but a lot of these deaths feel cheap. And this is coming off of Dark Souls 3 and Tomb Raider.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Uncharted is a solid first entry with a few big flaws

Uncharted 2 is fucking perfection.

Uncharted 3 is really good but they tried to do too much.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    UC4 has a bunch of visual filters, including cel-shading and "8-bit" pixelized (which also changes the sound)

https://youtu.be/7_SdXycfBG4

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Holy shit that cel-shading looks awesome

Also my god the level of detail Naughty Dog puts into moment-to-moment stuff

You're getting grabbed by a guy! Another guy's coming up to take cheap shots at you! Sully rushes in to grab THAT guy! You break free and shove him into a crate, which shatters!

None of that was scripted!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    https://youtu.be/D3A3UUa9ztM

Summary: Guy who was lukewarm on the first 3 Uncharted games liked this one a bunch, but finds many facetious faults with Nathan Drake's workout results.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

screen322x572.jpeg
    this Drake looks like he'd be mean to me at the gym

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Can I make Nate and Sully kiss in uncharted 4 a thiefs end

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

screen322x572.jpeg
    this Drake looks like he'd be mean to me at the gym

Nate. Nate Nate Nate... Dude, you gotta stop skipping leg day.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hmm, that game does something with an Uncharted 4 save.

And it's OK, I guess.

It's a phone game so it's got IAPs coming out of it's arse.

But it's a decent little puzzle thing.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    One of my favorite additions to the gameplay is the grappling hook, which I expected to be a simple tool for moving from platform to platform. It does that just fine at predetermined grapple points, but it also comes with a variety of other uses. If you’re swinging above an enemy and hit the melee button, Drake will come down on him with a tackle that causes his gun to fly from his hands. This would be satisfying enough, but I found myself smiling every time Drake finished this animation by reaching up and snatching the gun out of mid-air. Uncharted has always been great about letting you shoot from virtually any situation, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when I discovered that you can fire weapons while swinging from the hook. While this level of control may not be uncommon for the series, it’s hard to not feel like you’re in a big-budget action movie when you’re swinging through the air while raining sub-machine gun fire down on enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntXJJwEk1NA

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The consensus I'm seeing is the jump in quality from 3 to 4 is similar to the one from 1 to 2

And 3 was already really good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    One of my favorite additions to the gameplay is the grappling hook, which I expected to be a simple tool for moving from platform to platform. It does that just fine at predetermined grapple points, but it also comes with a variety of other uses. If you’re swinging above an enemy and hit the melee button, Drake will come down on him with a tackle that causes his gun to fly from his hands. This would be satisfying enough, but I found myself smiling every time Drake finished this animation by reaching up and snatching the gun out of mid-air. Uncharted has always been great about letting you shoot from virtually any situation, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when I discovered that you can fire weapons while swinging from the hook. While this level of control may not be uncommon for the series, it’s hard to not feel like you’re in a big-budget action movie when you’re swinging through the air while raining sub-machine gun fire down on enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntXJJwEk1NA

"...and Nathan not-so-begrudgingly agrees to untuck half of his shirt once again for another globetrotting adventure."

You're alright, Dan.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It's always weird to read a Dan review because he's writing voice is so different from regular Dan.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The consensus I'm seeing is the jump in quality from 3 to 4 is similar to the one from 1 to 2

And 3 was already really good

yeah this is nuts to me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Super thrilled at all of this. Can't wait for everyone to get their hands on it!

• Options
    The Giant Bomb review has a image captioned with "characters from the past are unlockable in multiplayer" and the picture is of Chloe

cmon guys chloe better be in the actual game

cmon

what?

cmon

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Do you want to know if she is?
    She's not.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The reviews for this are kinda nuts

I was gonna skip it but I'll probably pick it up when it's pretty cheap now

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I really need to play the old uncharted games. Got all 3 just sitting there, but the lure of like a thousand other things is too strong.

• Options
    Alright, 3 started

This bar brawl looks great cinematically but it hasn't aged well, gameplay-wise

If you're gonna come at the king that is Batman combat, you best not miss

Nathan Drake isn't Batman and he shouldn't be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I always thought three really ends strong.

It's a shame about that whole ship jumping shit.

The indoor ship stuff is cool. I loved running from the water.

• Options
    I kinda can't believe how many people are saying this is the best Uncharted game yet

2 is such a watershed moment for action games that I wouldn't imagine it would ever be topped

At the very best you'd get "well it's great, but it's no Uncharted 2 because what ever could be"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I almost wanna get Uncharted 4 just for the story, oddly enough

Like, all the commercials and trailers they've been showing in movie theaters and stuff with the whole sense of remorse about his adventurous life, I could totally get down on that

But I liked Uncharted 2 a lot less than 1, and I straight up disliked 3 enough that I didn't even finish it, so this series has just been on a downward trajectory

All of this meaning that even with all these glowing reviews out there, there's not a single one of them I can trust because they all talk like 2 was the best one

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    It sounds like 4 applies the Last of Us method of quiet, contemplative character-based storytelling to Uncharted

Which sounds like an a-okay way to go out, that's the best-case scenario for the Last of Us guys taking charge on Uncharted to me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Grr, I still need to play Last of Us.

• Options
    It also sounds like UC4 is adopting the Last of Us' thing of "being surprisingly long"

Last of Us was like 20 hours, and it sounds like UC4 is about 15

Every other Uncharted is 8-10 hours

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love uncharted one but every time vow says he liked it more than 2 my brain really hurts

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I love uncharted one but every time vow says he liked it more than 2 my brain really hurts

2 was amazing the first time, but it's all spectacle, more movie than game, which is cool if that's what you want

I found 1 infinitely more replayable, I beat it on every difficulty and then beat it on every difficulty AGAIN when they added Trophies so I could get my Platinum for it

My second run through Uncharted 2, I made it...a quarter of the way through? Once you know all its tricks, the second time through just isn't that fun

Uncharted 1 really had a shine in its combat, specifically room layout and enemy formations, it was very much that "combat puzzle" mentality that people talk about with Halo

Uncharted 2's combat sections felt really lacking comparatively, but I mean, why wouldn't they? They clearly were worrying more about collapsing buildings and fighting helicopters on the top of moving trains and a bunch of other mindless spectacle

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have finished Uncharted 2 more times than any other triple A game I've ever played, including twice on Crushing. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    That's real weird to me, cause I felt 1 and 2 were equal in replayability

I played both of them about the same, which is to say I Platinumed both

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It also sounds like UC4 is adopting the Last of Us' thing of "being surprisingly long"

I wonder how much of this is due to the "wide open" aspect of the world in it, rather than being as linear as the others.

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »

I wonder how much of this is due to the "wide open" aspect of the world in it, rather than being as linear as the others.

I'm not sure if this was their response to Tomb Raider or not but if it is I'm glad they were pushed that way

I wonder if it has light Metroid aspects like TR as well

• Options
    Preload is live everywhere but the US, where it goes live tomorrow

It's a 45 gig game, and a 5 gig patch

6F32U1X.png