As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]RIP Dominion 2011-2016. You will be missed (by Talith)

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Banner and Zz'rot is a combination I'm slowly gravitating towards building as often as I can on supports. I actually managed to win a game through solo pushing as Nami thanks to them, which feels really, really silly to me.

supports carrying - this is how it should be!

Support is the easiest position to carry games from. It's how I've gotten gold for the past 4 seasons. Not that I'm saying gold is good, mind you.

support felt TERRIBLE for me this season. The moment I switched away from it, I climbed pretty easily. Support feels like it's not as strong as it's been in the past.

• Options
    There's a big part of me that genuinely misses the GP5 item, boots and 20 wards full build support meta.

You died to a light breeze but you could see the universe.

There was something truly wonderful about basically being a glorified GPS

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Banner and Zz'rot is a combination I'm slowly gravitating towards building as often as I can on supports. I actually managed to win a game through solo pushing as Nami thanks to them, which feels really, really silly to me.

supports carrying - this is how it should be!

Support is the easiest position to carry games from. It's how I've gotten gold for the past 4 seasons. Not that I'm saying gold is good, mind you.

support felt TERRIBLE for me this season. The moment I switched away from it, I climbed pretty easily. Support feels like it's not as strong as it's been in the past.

It isn't. Top/Mid/Jungle are the key. Snowball your engage/pick and you win hard. Grab rift herald and use it to snowball further. Bottom can be losing pretty hard but if you use herald for 1-2 turrets it won't matter.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    reksai is like the peak of a champion that is only good in organized pro play

I need to put her on the shelf
    A large amount of Reksai's power is bundled into her powerful vision control and map movement, both of which are worth significantly less the farther below D3 or so you get. For solo queue carry you want more raw stats, not utility.
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think I need to stop playing ADCs. I seem to be pretty consistently doing well, but not being able to carry in a way that I can on a hypertank top lane or a mid. Maybe I should just start playing jungle again too.

For some reason I just bounce off jungling way more than anything else when I have a bad game.
    ADC is the weakest position to carry from (outside of support) because you're so dependent on your team to defend you against the plethora of leblancs, zeds, talons, and bruiser tops that can easily dive you and kill you with their level and farm advantage.

Much easier to carry as that bruiser top that can 1v1 anyone, or as an assassin that can instagib and dodge away.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Does this mean I should discourage my friend from playing ADC? Character-wise he strobgly leads towards ADC and mid-suitable champions. Or in Copper does it not really matter?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    No. If he is good at ranged characters he is good at ranged characters.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Cool thanks. Yeah he hates playing tanks lol. He just enjoys the ranged playstyles as opposed to facetanking.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Dear Top Udyr Who Wants To Splitpush

In order to afk splitpush, you should probably be able to either A. 1v1 the enemy toplaner or B. run away when 1 or more people come to you. As you are 0 and 5, and, coincidentally, the enemy Graves top is 5 and 0, perhaps you should consider a change in plan.
    Furthermore, the only tower you took required 3 of us to come help you top--sort of the opposite of how a splitpusher should be, don't you think?

Love,

Demoted to Silver 3 and Midly Salty About It.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    gam3p0tgam3p0t Registered User regular
    I never had a problem playing Irelia into Teemo last season. Let him push you in, max E, farm under tower until you get a gank or level 6 + sheen.

irelia also has something that counters teemo's squishiness. Any laner who can gap close him and punish him for misusing skills can beat him; but any laner without a gap closing ability is going to struggle heavily. Irelia you just let him get the blind off or even take a couple of free auto's to get below his health; Q>stun> autos when he fails to properly use blind; or if he blinds you can just back up and hope he follows and then just jump in and get the trade. My #1 pick against teemo top is wukong. Teemo can not handle it; there's just too many ways for wukong to outsmart him; gap close him and with teemo not building tank he cant handle the armor shredding spin to win.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Dear Top Udyr Who Wants To Splitpush

In order to afk splitpush, you should probably be able to either A. 1v1 the enemy toplaner or B. run away when 1 or more people come to you. As you are 0 and 5, and, coincidentally, the enemy Graves top is 5 and 0, perhaps you should consider a change in plan.
    Furthermore, the only tower you took required 3 of us to come help you top--sort of the opposite of how a splitpusher should be, don't you think?

Love,

Demoted to Silver 3 and Midly Salty About It.

Also - if you don't have teleport don't split push when there's a teamfight brewing somewhere. Like, seriously.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    the Panic Split Pusher is a lost cause in my experience. You either just have to start grouping with them or hope for a surprise turnaround

• Options
    Stomping the living crap out of a taunt-spamming Riven in lane and then going on to crush game and her face at every opportunity thereafter is just the best feeling after an otherwise shitty losing streak of games.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I mean dumpstering a riven is always a feel-good winning situation.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I know, that Riven players have the reputation for being the most obnoxious of them all

but from my experience, Vayne players are even worse, but i dont hear so much about it. Perhaps in other servers Vayne's are better, but Riven's awfulness is eternal?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    reksai is like the peak of a champion that is only good in organized pro play

I need to put her on the shelf

Rek'sai is a champ that takes a bunch of games to understand. That's why her solo queue win rate is pretty shit. It goes above 50% once you have 15+ games played on her, but who wants to lose all the time for 3 dozen games while you learn how to Rek'sai? Not me. I gave up on her after a few games, when I realized she didn't click with me immediately. I'm not patient.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I know, that Riven players have the reputation for being the most obnoxious of them all

but from my experience, Vayne players are even worse, but i dont hear so much about it. Perhaps in other servers Vayne's are better, but Riven's awfulness is eternal?

Last stats I saw were like a couple years old, but Yi players were actually the worst. Most likely to curse at people and flame.

Riven was up there, as was Lee Sin.

I don't know about Vayne, because I adc in most of my games and I don't play Vayne.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Asthariel wrote: »

Last stats I saw were like a couple years old, but Yi players were actually the worst. Most likely to curse at people and flame.

Riven was up there, as was Lee Sin.

I don't know about Vayne, because I adc in most of my games and I don't play Vayne.

Vaynes are often pretty terrible, yeah. It's partially because people pick Vayne with the thought 'I'm going to hard carry', and yet Vayne is very dependent on a nice protective support to survive until she can get some money; she also almost always loses lane, which probably makes the player a little upset, even though it's expected.

I hope I have time tonight to try to re-promote. I ended up queuing as mid for the past two games (I just wanted to play adc; what's the best way to do that? I thought bot/mid would give me adc for sure) and had some decent games as Lux (getting first blood, winning lane, having tons more dmg than my enemy midlaner) but not good enough to win. So, I should probably just play more support, since that's how I was winning in the first place.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The top 10 most reported champions, as of 2014, were
    Jinx
    Yi
    Fizz
    Tryndamere
    Akali
    Shaco
    Rengar
    Lee Sin
    Vayne
    Katarina

Basically "Fuck the rest of my team, I can solo carry". Unsurprisingly, supports show the opposite trend and tend to be the least reported.

• Options
    In my limited experience, Rivens are mean to enemy teams more often than they are to their own team, but are rude to both. Vaynes are mean to their own teams more often than they are to the enemy team. Never had a Vayne taunt or laugh spam me in lane. But have had Vaynes freak out at us as a team often.

This particular Riven was notable because she didn't stop spamming after I killed her the first or second time. She kept doing it til I took her damn tower and lane phase was pretty much over. I didn't tilt simply because I was killing her or forcing her out of lane at will and no amount of spam was going to make that feel less good.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i need to peel myself away from duelyst, grim dawn, and heroes of the storm for long enough to get some league in

i just don't really have a few of the champions i've been interested in adding to my list of go-to dudes, so i've spent more time than i've wanted to playing yorick, braum, sion, and nautilus

i had an account prior to this one that i lost my information for, so i wound up without any of my purchased roster, any of my skins, and any of my runes

the grind to get it all back has been a real love/hate affair

poppy always fucking brings me back in, though, even if i do wind up going 1v2 top against some obnoxious combination of dudes that completely shit on me in lane

must be the hammer and pigtails thing

• Options
    The top 10 most reported champions, as of 2014, were
    Jinx
    Yi
    Fizz
    Tryndamere
    Akali
    Shaco
    Rengar
    Lee Sin
    Vayne
    Katarina

Basically "Fuck the rest of my team, I can solo carry". Unsurprisingly, supports show the opposite trend and tend to be the least reported.

The only thing surprising about that list is that Shaco is not #1

I make it a point to report every shaco player for being a terrible human being.

• Options
    Can I ask something about splitpushing?

Let's say I'm Irelia, and I'm at the point where I cannot be dueled by any single member of the opposing team, and I have Rageblade and TP. Do I need to spell out for my team, "I'm going to splitpush, group and defend, fight if they send or more after me."

On the other hand, should I even try to split? Am I better off in most games trying to turn my 1v1 strength into helping my team group and fight?

• Options
    Whether you need to explain to your team you're going to splitpush is based a lot on what league you're in. If you're playing silver or below, you 100% need to let them know. It's not going to be assumed at that level. And to be honest, they're probably not going to know what to do with a splitpusher anyway.

If you're going to split push, you just need to ward a ton, because your team is NOT going to cover your ass. And if your team engages in a 4v5, which they will, you must quickly make the right choice as to whether you need to TP in or not. If your team can go 4 for 3 in a 4v5 and you can take objectives, you're good. But if your team is going to be 4-0ed in a 4v5, you better TP in or else your team will lose the game while you try to split.

• Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Can I ask something about splitpushing?

Let's say I'm Irelia, and I'm at the point where I cannot be dueled by any single member of the opposing team, and I have Rageblade and TP. Do I need to spell out for my team, "I'm going to splitpush, group and defend, fight if they send or more after me."

On the other hand, should I even try to split? Am I better off in most games trying to turn my 1v1 strength into helping my team group and fight?

You should type out that you are splitting, yes. Mostly I just see toplaners saying 'I have TP' and the rest is inferred. If you think your team might be dumb say 'I have TP and will split, you guys should [fight/take tower/take dragon] if they send 2-3 for me.'

• Options
  • Options
    Of the games I've lost recently, several of them were due to a failure of my team to respond to a splitpushing threat. It can be very effective. Just make sure that either
    1. you are well-warded and will be able to run away if they come for you or
    2. your team is in a position to capitalize on your death (ie they will actually do something with a 4v3 advantage. If they just mill around, it was not worth.)

• Options
    Of the games I've lost recently, several of them were due to a failure of my team to respond to a splitpushing threat. It can be very effective. Just make sure that either
    2. your team is in a position to capitalize on your death (ie they will actually do something with a 4v3 advantage. If they just mill around, it was not worth.)

I have definitely won some games just heavy splitting when my team knew to basically not 5v4 while I went to work in toplane. The #2 issue is what I fear will happen the majority of the time, but I will definitely try to type out the basic plan in chat going forward.

• Options

I have definitely won some games just heavy splitting when my team knew to basically not 5v4 while I went to work in toplane. The #2 issue is what I fear will happen the majority of the time, but I will definitely try to type out the basic plan in chat going forward.

Yeah I mean even as an experienced player who is pretty used to this playstyle (the one guy in Tuesday night League is an amazing splitpusher), I still appreciate someone actually spelling out that they have tp, so that I don't have to tab and look and see if they do. Also it reassures me that they might have some intent to tp in if we get engaged on/stuck in a 4v5.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Also, if you know to ward and can bug out when the other team comes, or if at least your team is good at sieging when up a man, split pushing when you're 0/5 and you can take your 5/0 lane opponent out of the fight to deal with you, it's not really terrible.

if you can get away and your team is good at sieging.

Because if you're an 0/5 Udyr, you're really not going to do anything in a fight but die, so if you can effectively remove a 5/0 graves from the fight, that's actually pretty great.

• Options
    So when I split, say I'm pushing top, I ward the bush near gromp/krugs, and also the corridor by T2 tower. Is this correct warding?

• Options
    It depends on how far up you're splitting, and who has control of what. How many towers are down in each lane changes the paths enemies can take to you, how far up you are, etc. My general rule is if I'm pushing past river, I like to have a couple wards in the enemy's jungle on the side nearest to me so I can see if they're coming that way. If they're coming at you from further away, it means your team is turtling and you can't split push in that scenario, because the entire enemy team will come gangbang you while your team hides.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    speaking of split-pushing, i love the weird moments i've been having lately where i buy a sunfire and just start chomping my way down a lane and through multiple towers while the enemy team keeps picking dumb fights and getting shit on 5v4 because our carries are too fed and our supports counter theirs

meanwhile i've got a full convoy of dump trucks just hauling the rubble of their towers off to the gravel yard and i've been named a genocidal war criminal by whatever race of creatures the minions belong to

if they even are a race now and not still just summoned constructs i don't know they're fucking minions herschel they're not people anymore

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    That moment, when you Blitz support during the most important moment of the game when we are defending against buffed by Baron enemy team buys only AP, goes alone into enemy jungle, and dies horribly, while our LB dies after one hit and says she plays while high.

That's it, i am unistalling this game for month, i have had enough.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    So when I split, say I'm pushing top, I ward the bush near gromp/krugs, and also the corridor by T2 tower. Is this correct warding?

I'm not sure which bush you mean, because the one I'm thinking of (left pink ward below) would do you no good: if someone showed there you'd already be caught. Of the three bushes near Krugs (pinks in below), I'd only ward the right one when splitting; the other two probably don't give me enough warning to get out.
    A8PclEJ.jpg

A coaching session I watched once broke warding down into three types; I'll regurgitate that from my notes for your benefit (split pushing stuff at bottom)
    • Spot Hitting a point like dragon or baron. It doesn't give you any warning, or chance to react (because they're already there), but it does give you information (eg let you see to try to steal, time a Jinx/Ez ult, decide whether to try to clean up after). This is the least valuable type.
    • Traffic Warding high traffic areas. This is important during laning, and for rotations.
    • Linear Creating a line of wards that makes an area of safety. This gives good coverage and warning when you are siege-ing; this is what you see most often in the LCS.
    For defensive wards (traffic and linear), think about distances. Assuming moving with similar speeds, in a best case scenario that ward needs to be far away enough that when you spot someone coming, you can actually run to safety. A lot of midlaners ward the river bush next to them, but he talked about how it does little good given that most junglers can get you from there, before you can retreat to safety*. On the other hand, if you (as blue midlaner) ward farther out in a high traffic intersection, like this:
    QGo8B9B.jpg
    You should be able to see them coming with plenty of time to retreat (and it's also likely to help your top laner spot incoming trouble too). It's similar for top laners; sticking a ward in river bush is fine when you're blue side, if you're not past the river. If you want shove up at all though, that ward really needs to be down near scuttle crab to give you time to run all the way back to your tower's safe zone before the jungler can cut you off.
    0ZZXRRq.jpg vs zSkfScD.jpg

For split pushing, you really want to have some kind of linear warding going on:
    bJ5d1kQ.jpg
    The wards near river need to be much farther from top lane, because enemies coming from that direction can cut you off. On the other hand, the more parallel their attack path is to your intended escape path, the closer they can afford to be. If you've got two charges on your yellow trinket you can set up the above; or at least the right two if you've got a blue trinket. Scuttle/teammate wards can easily replace the river one.

It all depends on a zillion things; you can get away with less or need more depending on which team has better poke, siege, wave clear, fed members, pressure in other lanes and so on. But the most important takeaway for split pushing, from what I've read, is having sufficient warning to escape anything you don't plan to fight - and making your ward line far enough out that your wards aren't simply telling you who is going to catch you out.

*But you can also play against the other side of the lane to increase your safety distance, and escape into your jungle instead of tower so that they can't cut you off

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hey, this is neat. Little bit of official analysis about Bard and more supports more generally.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Hey, this is neat. Little bit of official analysis about Bard and more supports more generally.

@credeiki

• Options
    edited March 2016
    ForceVoid wrote: »

credeiki

man....this is totally what I would have liked to do in the alternate reality where I was successful at my on-site interview to become an analyst for Riot rather than having totally flubbed it :'(

oh well, as a defense contractor I have more time to play games, so...

(I'm probably being signaled here as a support main rather than a data analyst but can't help but think about what might have been)

credeiki on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That feeling when you manage to out-damage your team's Jax as Sona. And somehow still win.

• Options
    ahh, just when I thought I might never win again, the matchmaking gods granted me an afk enemy midlaner and an S- on my bro Nautilus.