As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Festival of the Lost is live! Big head mode and cavities for everyone!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Just did a PoE 34 (I need to finish the Varricks rep for those shaders) and a 3oC on one of the bosses dropped what turned out to be a 310 Invective.

So that's cool.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Control is the best gametype so I don't mind every IB match being that. I don't know if I'd even bother if it was Clash.
    I think that mixing some Rift in there would be fine.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Control is the best gametype so I don't mind every IB match being that. I don't know if I'd even bother if it was Clash.
    I think that mixing some Rift in there would be fine.

Control is great, but Mayhem Clash may be my favorite now. I don't even care if I win in that game mode.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »
    This may sound salty, but I'm serious. How does the PvP matchmaking actually put together teams? I ask this because I'm now on my 11th (yes, eleven) loss in a row on IB. I'm consistently >1.5 kd and the top 1-2 on my team, so it's not that I'm holding them back. It just seems like, by sheer averages, I would eventually wind up on a team that wins.

This isn't meant to be "boo hoo," but this literally gives me no incentive to keep playing. My medallions are maxed, and I can't gain rep without winning. There's nothing I can do better or different. I love the PvP in this game, but I'm honestly on the verge of walking away from this IB altogether because this matchmaking is so fucking awful.

Edit: Twelve

I apologize, but K/D doesn't guarantee wins in Control. If you are not holding more points consistently, even if you are killing the shit out of the enemy team your kills count for less. I mean theoretically it is possible to win holding only one point vs two all game just by sheer volume of kills, but you would need a LOT more kills than the enemy team to win.

On the flip side, you can die all the time, but as long as your team is holding two points all game, any kills your team makes count for more and your deaths count for less.

I regularly have a sub .5/6 kd in winning games because I die all the time, my pvp is basically the Fabian Strategy. I don't care if I die, as long as my death extends my teams hold on a point or prevents an enemy taking our point. If your team is playing Control like Clash with no emphasis on holding points, you are going to lose almost regardless of your team's K/D.

Edit: Again I apologize, I think I may be misreading your post. I initially thought you were talking purely in a K/D sense, if not please disregard.

Disagree

If you have a good KDR you are automatically scoring points while also denying the opponent points. And he specifically points out being at the top of the scoreboard on his team.

I mentioned this last thread but sadly I don't think it really sunk in with a lot of people, dying a lot in PvP is literally giving the opponent points. Every time you die you just handed the opposing team 100 points, plus 50 for each other player that shot you before you died, plus more for various other factors.

Crucible heavily values dying less than the enemy, even moreso than getting kills.

• never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Sorry to interject, but anyone up for scheduling a VoG raid? And yes, I know it's kinda weird that I have not done it yet.
    Commerce pointing and laughing in 3..2..1..

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Like literally if you go 0.5, even if you hold two points you've given the opposing team more points than you gained.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Sorry to interject, but anyone up for scheduling a VoG raid? And yes, I know it's kinda weird that I have not done it yet.
    Commerce pointing and laughing in 3..2..1..

Yo, I am down to do it possibly some time tonight. I got a friend who hasn't run it either. It is an awesome raid that everyone should check out.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Like literally if you go 0.5, even if you hold two points you've given the opposing team more points than you gained.

Sure, but having the points is more valuable than one individual's KD. If I can take another death, in exchange for holding a point, I'll take it. The other player gets the points for the kill, but every single kill by teammate gets a multiplier.

Obviously having a whole team of 0.5 KD players is dicey, but I haven't seen too many teams win in control with 1 point.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    Guys, really sorry but I can't make it to the 7:30 raid tonight.

If any Xboxers need that Ghost shell, there's a spot open:

https://www.the100.io/game/357621

I am not on the100 but I can take this spot

Are you the "guest" in the chat?

I'll invite you tonight in about an hour. =)

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I need @Al_wat to post a video of his deadly kiss-off with one of the players on the team that crushed us.

It was one of the funnier things to witness solely through the text readout of events.

rndmhero wrote: »
    This may sound salty, but I'm serious. How does the PvP matchmaking actually put together teams? I ask this because I'm now on my 11th (yes, eleven) loss in a row on IB. I'm consistently >1.5 kd and the top 1-2 on my team, so it's not that I'm holding them back. It just seems like, by sheer averages, I would eventually wind up on a team that wins.

This isn't meant to be "boo hoo," but this literally gives me no incentive to keep playing. My medallions are maxed, and I can't gain rep without winning. There's nothing I can do better or different. I love the PvP in this game, but I'm honestly on the verge of walking away from this IB altogether because this matchmaking is so fucking awful.

Edit: Twelve

That's pretty bad. I hope their matchmaking starts to consider 'play session' at some point, because it doesn't feel like it does. I'm not saying put me on the right side of a blowout, but it seems like matchmaking is always considering some overall number and not the asskicking I've been receiving for the past hour.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

Sure, but having the points is more valuable than one individual's KD. If I can take another death, in exchange for holding a point, I'll take it. The other player gets the points for the kill, but every single kill by teammate gets a multiplier.

Obviously having a whole team of 0.5 KD players is dicey, but I haven't seen too many teams win in control with 1 point.

If you hold one point, you'd need a 1.5kdr across the team to make up for the point differential

If you hold two points, you can dip closer to .5

The point is, KDR matters. Ultimately, killing people is how you get points, and each control point is worth 50 points per kill, while the kill itself is worth 100

• dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    Getting 40-50+ sword ammo per heavy box...
    It's so nice to have surplus again.

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I need @Al_wat to post a video of his deadly kiss-off with one of the players on the team that crushed us.

It was one of the funnier things to witness solely through the text readout of events.

ahh unfortunately i forgot to record it

it was hilarious though. we were being absolutely stomped. I saw an enemy running at me, I did the blow a kiss emote. They stopped shooting at me, and then did the blow a kiss back. In a fraction of a second I busted out my shotgun, lunged at them, and killed them.

they sent me a message after: "RUDE"

Elki wrote: »

If you hold one point, you'd need a 1.5kdr across the team to make up for the point differential

If you hold two points, you can dip closer to .5

The point is, KDR matters. Ultimately, killing people is how you get points, and each control point is worth 50 points per kill, while the kill itself is worth 100

I didn't say KD didn't matter, I said individual KD doesn't matter. If the whole team doesn't manage to get 2 kills after I died defending a point and giving up the 100 points, then yes I'm on a net drag on my team.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Actually my math was a bit off

You don't need that high a KDR to offset only having one point I think, and you definitely can't fall that low even with two points whole staying point neutral

@rndmhero Hopefully running with PA was enjoyable, even if we suffered our fair share of ignominy and @Muffinatron lag-switching like the villain he is.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Hammer bros are so hilariously broken in PvP.

So a Gunslinger gets 3 shots of golden gun, no damage reduction and they have to hit their opponent dead on.

Hammer bros get damage reduction, their hammers have aoe damage and (thanks to Cauterize) when they kill someone they regen health.

How did that get through internal testing?

Looking forward to running my Titan once my Hunter hits rank 5.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I am broken sick, barely any voice- Im dropping from the 8 pm raid tonight- theres 3 alts- have fun and ty!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    @rndmhero Hopefully running with PA was enjoyable, even if we suffered our fair share of ignominy and @Muffinatron lag-switching like the villain he is.

Woah there. The door was open, no lag switching going on here.

It's not my fault we get paired with Americans when I'm in a fireteam full of people based in America...

oh. wait.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yay! IB game 1 is me getting put into the trailing end on the losing side of a pubstomp defeat. <3

STARTING THE NIGHT OFF RIGHT. lmao

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    You should still be trying to get 1.0

Theoretically, if everyone has a 1.0 KDR, the game comes down to zone control

The more your KDR fluctuates, the more you're forcing the rest of your team to get their KDR higher to make up for it

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I hope this weekend I can get in a fire team for some Iron Banner. Though only with people who kind of suck so that we don't get paired against too many lag switchers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Woah there. The door was open, no lag switching going on here.

It's not my fault we get paired with Americans when I'm in a fireteam full of people based in America...

oh. wait.

In all seriousness, considering your frequent NAT issues, have you ever tried implementing Bungie's recommended port-forwarding for Destiny? If not, I imagine doing so could at least make it so communications are a bit more consistent, if not gameplay as well.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Match 2: another vs fireteam (looked like 5)

Got it to a low spread (500 point) loss and it gave me a legendary chest engram. No complaints.

90% sure we (myself and the other people that got dropped in around the same time) could have won that one if it was a fresh start instead of getting put in because of quitters.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

So a Gunslinger gets 3 shots of golden gun, no damage reduction and they have to hit their opponent dead on.

Hammer bros get damage reduction, their hammers have aoe damage and (thanks to Cauterize) when they kill someone they regen health.

Early K/D stats from Iron Banner have Gunslingers edging out Sunbreakers on K/D very slightly, but there isn't enough info yet to really talk about why.

In my experience, they are two flavors of bullshit. Hammers are more annoying because you really can't fight back without suppression abilities, but Golden Gun is more lethal because if the Hunter sees you, you die (unless you are mid-super as a Sunbreaker).

I think sunbros, gunbros, and lightningbros need to have their supers weakened in PvP a bit, maybe with other stuff added to their kit if necessary. Dying to any of those 3 supers isn't fun, since your options for fighting back are "have a better super available to use immediately" "run away" or "die."

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Much thanks to everyone's replies. It turns out that the solution to my tilt, as in many things in gaming, was simply to play with a group of PA guys. Halfway to rank 3, two of the three weekly bounties done, and multiple steps of the shaxx quest over with. All in a few hours.

Edit: I will also swear, under oath, that @Muffinatron is a filthy lag switcher and should be reported to Bungie. The whole accent thing is just a ruse.

rndmhero on
    Yeah pretty much, being in a fireteam is the only way Crucible is remotely fun

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Is there really still no way to exchange materials for one another? I still have 100+ helium and spirit bloom because nothing I have uses them, but I have three items that all need spinmetal. And 10 marks per 20 spinmetal seems pretty dang steep when these weapon bubbles are taking 10 spinmetal a pop.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I can safely say "shoot the zappy guy" is a very strong counter to that super, since "shoot the zappy guy" is generally what happens to me. If there's any DR, it's minuscule.

Early K/D stats from Iron Banner have Gunslingers edging out Sunbreakers on K/D very slightly, but there isn't enough info yet to really talk about why.

In my experience, they are two flavors of bullshit. Hammers are more annoying because you really can't fight back without suppression abilities, but Golden Gun is more lethal because if the Hunter sees you, you die (unless you are mid-super as a Sunbreaker).

I think sunbros, gunbros, and lightningbros need to have their supers weakened in PvP a bit, maybe with other stuff added to their kit if necessary. Dying to any of those 3 supers isn't fun, since your options for fighting back are "have a better super available to use immediately" "run away" or "die."

Gun bros are no where near the level of bs as sun bros or lightnight bros, the closest analogue there is blade dancer, but blade dancer doesn't get a good ranged attack like lightning and sun (the little shock wave eats your super bar and can be jumped).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Losing is also way less frustrating when you're bullshit around in a group chat

• HounHoun Registered User regular

Force Lightning is really only good if you catch people with their pants down. Two dedicated opponents can drop you before you get a kill pretty easily.

dporowski wrote: »
    I can safely say "shoot the zappy guy" is a very strong counter to that super, since "shoot the zappy guy" is generally what happens to me. If there's any DR, it's minuscule.

It's actually fairly significant

But then "significant" in this sense means you could maybe take 50% more punishment in a game where the TTK for good weapons is about one second

Only reason I can see gunslinger having more kills than hammer bros is due to the sheer number of hunters in the game and so you'll have a lot of really good hunter players.

God knows my favorite kill in the game is the throwing knife head shot.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Gun bros are no where near the level of bs as sun bros or lightnight bros, the closest analogue there is blade dancer, but blade dancer doesn't get a good ranged attack like lightning and sun (the little shock wave eats your super bar and can be jumped).

Well " bullshit" isn't really a trackable stat. When I looked earlier, Gunslingers were best K/D with Sunbreakers slightly behind slingers. Unlikely that changed much, but its only been like a day of Man Bruce, so who knows.

Dying to either super isn't much fun.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I can't decide whether the hunter cloak is absurd or awesome.

I need that warlock bond, though.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else need the heroic Fears Embrace for the ToM quest? I've made it up to the last step and would love to have it to try out on Oryx's face this Friday. The regular version of that was hard enough; I'm honestly dreading what a heroic will be like.

Well " bullshit" isn't really a trackable stat. When I looked earlier, Gunslingers were best K/D with Sunbreakers slightly behind slingers. Unlikely that changed much, but its only been like a day of Man Bruce, so who knows.

True but dying to a gunslinger super is like a one time thing, where as with a sun bro on a small map you might die to the same guy multiple times.

pleasepaypreacher.net

True but dying to a gunslinger super is like a one time thing, where as with a sun bro on a small map you might die to the same guy multiple times.

Dying twice to the same super is throw your controller infuriating

I've had it happen with Stormtrance on small maps too

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I thought I wasn't supposed to be matched against premade teams in PvP?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.