As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    It's gotten an interesting range of reviews. People who loved old Fatal Frame for just what it was seem to rate it highly (it's maxed at 85%), while those who are fans of more contemporary horror games have crapped all over it (as low as 40% from a few places). Complaints are that it doesn't change the formula and only tries a few new things, virtues are an improved camera obscura system and your character can run now, speeding things up for segments you've done before.

Your character could always run.

Huh, when i was reading a review thread elsewhere one of the points brought up was the presence of a sprint button.

I haven't tried it yet. I might try the demo just for some Halloween fun. The game might be a little large for my Wii U's internal drive at 16 GB, but how big is the demo?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It's gotten an interesting range of reviews. People who loved old Fatal Frame for just what it was seem to rate it highly (it's maxed at 85%), while those who are fans of more contemporary horror games have crapped all over it (as low as 40% from a few places). Complaints are that it doesn't change the formula and only tries a few new things, virtues are an improved camera obscura system and your character can run now, speeding things up for segments you've done before.

Huh, when i was reading a review thread elsewhere one of the points brought up was the presence of a sprint button.

I haven't tried it yet. I might try the demo just for some Halloween fun. The game might be a little large for my Wii U's internal drive at 16 GB, but how big is the demo?

Oh hell it's 16gigs?? Well, fuck that I guess.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Oh hell it's 16gigs?? Well, fuck that I guess.

Time to clean the fridge! Or buy an external hard drive. Hmm, maybe I just won't bother. Way to sell your games, Nintendo.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought a 500 GB drive so no worries for me if I decide to get Fatal Frame

But the fact that I even had to, Jesus

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I bought a 500 GB drive so no worries for me if I decide to get Fatal Frame

But the fact that I even had to, Jesus

I have a 2 TB drive for my WiiU that's, uh... it's been doing some work recently.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I bought a 2 TB drive myself. When I lay my WiiU down it'll go right into my computer and be used for backups. I'm not even mad.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really hope the NX isn't another "Hard Drive sold separately" situation.

edited October 2015
    I'd rather them do that over increasing the price of the NX.

urahonky on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    As long as it's able to power the hard drive itself, I don't mind having to get one, but the external power requirement suuuuuucks.

Taramoor on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I just have a 64GB flash drive plugged into the back of mine. Sadly that's been enough over the life of the Wii U. the only game I've ever deleted that I bought was ZombiiU, becuase i ran into a glitch that made it impossible for me to progress when I was about 80% done the game.

I hit a point where I had to close a door to stop the zombies from getting to where I am, and you progress past that point. It was also a checkpoint. As the door was closing a zombie that I was fighting hit me and the push back pushed me to the other side of the door. The game checkpointed, the zombies on that side disappeared, and there was no way to re-open that door from that side since you were never meant to be on that side of it when it closed. I killed myself, ran back to that spot, and...door was still closed, no way to open, no way to progress. closed the game, deleted it, and cried myself to sleep. That was still one of my favorite Wii U games.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    As long as it's able to power the hard drive itself, I don't mind having to get one, but the external power requirement suuuuuucks.

Y Cables are beautiful things.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I just have a 64GB flash drive plugged into the back of mine. Sadly that's been enough over the life of the Wii U. the only game I've ever deleted that I bought was ZombiiU, becuase i ran into a glitch that made it impossible for me to progress when I was about 80% done the game.

I hit a point where I had to close a door to stop the zombies from getting to where I am, and you progress past that point. It was also a checkpoint. As the door was closing a zombie that I was fighting hit me and the push back pushed me to the other side of the door. The game checkpointed, the zombies on that side disappeared, and there was no way to re-open that door from that side since you were never meant to be on that side of it when it closed. I killed myself, ran back to that spot, and...door was still closed, no way to open, no way to progress. closed the game, deleted it, and cried myself to sleep. That was still one of my favorite Wii U games.

Had a similar experience. Walked through a wall of fire into an endgame area. Looted it, including an important quest item. Later in the game none of the events in that area would trigger. Yay

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    urahonky wrote: »

Hard drive space is cheap these days

There's no excuse

Honestly there wasn't an excuse back in 2012 when the Wii U launched

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Y Cables are beautiful things.

Doesn't work for mine. Still riddled with constant errors if I ever plug in the drive. I'm just going to buy a powered drive eventually.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

There's no excuse

Is it? How much and how fast is enough? 250GB? 500GB? 1TB? Should it be notebook? SSD? Flash?

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Oh man, ZombiU is is the worst for that kind of thing. I was in the final stretch of the game and got glitched below the game world after being wedged between a door and a wall. I died, but my pack was forever lost in the "below game world", which contained a crucial endgame item I needed to open a door.

Needless to say I had to start from scratch and do it all over again from the beginning.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • VothVoth Registered User regular

There's no excuse

Is it? How much and how fast is enough? 250GB? 500GB? 1TB? Should it be notebook? SSD? Flash?

If we were using Microsoft as a price guide then they weren't cheap at all in 2012 :( Actually, they still aren't cheap for their new system.

If I remeber right, I bought a 3 gig external for about $180 in those days.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Hope you meant 3tb. Because if not, i got some sweet pc parts from 2005 i can get you :p

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Yeah I bought the 120GB Xbox 360 HDD for around $180 once upon a time. It seems that the XBox One allows you to sorta upgrade the HDD? I can't really tell. I know the PS3 was a standard Notebook HDD but you had to make sure it was thin enough to fit in.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the hard drive for the 360 was so expensive because it was proprietary and because Microsoft could.

On the Xbox One the hard drive is not user upgrade-able, but you can plug in any USB 3.0 external drive and use it as device storage. And as an added bonus you can take that drive and plug it into any xbox one, sign in with your live account, and just play the games on it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Fun fact: The very old, original 20 gig hard drive (and by extension the larger ones they had later) of the old original fat 360 is completely compatible with the Slim. You just have to get it out of the enclosure it's in, which is a bitch and a half if you don't have the proper screwdriver. It also doesn't sit very securely inside the Slim, but it still totally gets the job done.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    Fatal Frame for Wii U?
    I was wondering where that $50 went.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

There's no excuse

Don't be so obtuse. Of course there's no solution that will please 100% of your user base (I mean, there are Vita owners complaining about the 1,000 game/app limit, an upper limit most people find crazy), but if your included storage for your system you're selling can be maxed out with less than 5 games, you're being fuckin' cheap.

• Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    I think they could get away with putting in something like a 1TB 2.5" SATA drive. I think the PS4 and XB1 are both using 5400rpm drives, so keeping on par with that should keep the cost close to $50.

If they really wanted brownie points from their customers next time around, they could also go the PS3 route: add in a backup utility and allow the consumer to swap in/out their own drives.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
    Dirty wrote: »

There's no excuse

Don't be so obtuse. Of course there's no solution that will please 100% of your user base (I mean, there are Vita owners complaining about the 1,000 game/app limit, an upper limit most people find crazy), but if your included storage for your system you're selling can be maxed out with less than 5 games, you're being fuckin' cheap.

It's not like the game/space ratio is that much better on the HD Twins. 500GB sounds nice... until you realize games are now breaking the 50g barrier. And not even buying discs alleviates that, since they all install fully now.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

There's no excuse

Sure but if you have just the internal XB1 HDD, depending on the games, you can get (worst case) around 8 games installed before your HDD is full and that's ignoring patches and other updates. Installed HDD is 500GB, users get about 362GB of data onto it before it says it's full. Games like Gears of War are around 44GB in download size. I'm not sure if it needs more to unpack/install or whatever (don't have an Xbox 1).

32GB is really, really (really) low. There's no doubt about that. I believe that when they made the hardware they weren't thinking about digital downloads (didn't digital downloads show up months after release? I can't remember anymore). I'm making the assumption that the NX will have 250GB of internal data. That seems to be around the sweet spot for their games.

edited October 2015

There's no excuse

It's not like the game/space ratio is that much better on the HD Twins. 500GB sounds nice... until you realize games are now breaking the 50g barrier. And not even buying discs alleviates that, since they all install fully now.

There is no PS4 or Xbox One game you can purchase - not a single one - that will not fit on your hard drive

If I hooked up my 8GB launch Wii U today, I would not be able to play Fatal Frame

So no

They're not remotely the same

UnbreakableVow on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

There's no excuse

There is no PS4 or Xbox One game you can purchase - not a single one - that will not fit on your hard drive

If I hooked up my 8GB launch Wii U today, I would not be able to play Fatal Frame

So no

Considering the Basic Wii U only has something like 3GB of usable storage I would imagine a good chunk of the Wii U's retail library wouldn't work.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    I wasn't making a 1:1 identical comaprison.

Christ, the hell is up with your attitude this morning?

There's no excuse

So no

Considering the Basic Wii U only has something like 3GB of usable storage I would imagine a good chunk of the Wii U's retail library wouldn't work.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-destructoid-wii-u-game-file-size-guide-291062.phtml

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

There's no excuse

So no

I have an XBoxOne and Wii U. They both suck in this regard since you really need external hard drive for both of them. Wii U you CAN get around if you buy physical only, but realistically, no matter what next gen system you're using, you need additional storage.

Not being able to play more games on my XBox, even when I have the disc, until I free up hardware space is really awful.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There's a depressing arms race.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    It also really doesn't matter that harddrive space is inexpensive. It's still not free which means it still drives up the cost of the system. You already have people complaining the system costs too much, so any additional cost is going to be even that much more prohibitive. When that cost is associated with something that is fairly optional and can be added on later if the individual user wants to then it really doesn't make sense to force it to be in every system, when a good portion of the install base isn't going to care.

Which is why it wasn't, and why it's perfectly valid to get an external drive if harddrive space IS that important to you. You service both crowds and keep the overall cost down (and every bit helps in that regard)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    It still is a good idea for your minimum-size system to have enough room to at least have one of the largest file size game that you can put on your physical discs.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It still is a good idea for your minimum-size system to have enough room to at least have one of the largest file size game that you can put on your physical discs.

If installs are mandatory, at least. Nearly all my Wii U games are physical, the only issue is the ones I've gotten digitally for free or through some special deal, like Club Nintendo Game & Wario or free-with-pedometer Wii Fit U.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Depends on how popular they expect the game to be. In this case not even enough to make physical disks for it which would get around this issue, which suggests they think the install base who would want to play this game would be the sort that would have gotten an external anyways.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

This sort of requires a lot of forward thinking. Just how big are games going to get by this generation's end? I'm sure at the time of the Wii U's launch, 8 gig and 32 gig seemed minimally enough in Nintendo's eyes.

That 8 gig one now though, not so much. Which is why they also don't even sell the thing anymore.

And just for general comparison, the 360 for its entire life technically had this same exact issue. There are versions out there with only 20gb drives (the original), an almost pathetic 4gb drive (the slims), or even no hard drive (the other original, though thankfully the eventually wised up and cut that cord).

I clearly don't fully understand the disc-making thing. The discs get bigger over the course of the generation? Then yeah, it's not always going to be possible to predict the biggest size a game could be.

edited October 2015
    I clearly don't fully understand the disc-making thing. The discs get bigger over the course of the generation? Then yeah, it's not always going to be possible to predict the biggest size a game could be.

They don't

Wii U discs can hold more than 32 gigs

Your system should probably be able to store more than just one of your discs! That seems crazy to me that it wouldn't

And yeah, PS3 and 360 had the same issues, and were rightly shat on for it until their successor machines fixed the issue

UnbreakableVow on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Wii U clearly needs to get a licensed version of Storage Wars. Yeesh!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page