As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I clearly don't fully understand the disc-making thing. The discs get bigger over the course of the generation? Then yeah, it's not always going to be possible to predict the biggest size a game could be.

The disc size is largely irrelevant in this. It's more a case of what they expect the average user to do. Even as more and more people are installing their games or downloading them I think it's a stretch to say that this is the case of the typical user, especially in the case of Nintendo, at least at first. The 8GB WiiU existed because there were a large amount of people who didn't care about installing/downloading games who simply wanted to pop in a disc and play.

However there is certainly enough people who DO install and download, for which the larger base sizes exist, and for the further subset, the option for an external drive.

Eventually Nintendo realized that even incidental information was building up and that with the bigger push on the estore games that the base 8GB unit wouldn't really work even for the average user, hence the removal of it.

I would wager with how much they have been pushing the downloadables though that the next system will have a more robust base storage, especially if it is indeed some sort of mobile hybrid thingie.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I clearly don't fully understand the disc-making thing. The discs get bigger over the course of the generation? Then yeah, it's not always going to be possible to predict the biggest size a game could be.

They don't

Wii U discs can hold more than 32 gigs

Your system should probably be able to store more than just one of your discs! That seems crazy to me that it wouldn't

And yeah, PS3 and 360 had the same issues, and were rightly shat on for it until their successor machines fixed the issue

hell, it didn't even take the successor machiens for teh 360 and PS3. later on in the life you could buy a sku of each that had 500GB drives. and I mean, in 2005, when the Xbox 360 came out, I don't fault microsoft for not necessarily having the foresight for 40GB game downloads a few years later, especially when the 360 was never really designed with it in mind.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    If Nintendo keeps developing hd games, won't they at some point need those games to start installing to a hard drive to alleviate load times?

I am a are I may not understand the issue well enough so anyone feel free to educate.

I mean, conveniance can't be the reason for needing to install a disk purchased game to the hd with the 4 and the One.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So a question that's been bouncing around my head since seeing the replacement costumes in Fatal Frame.

I've never played any of the Metroid games. I own the last one they made on the Wii and plan to play it one of these days, but it's not been a high priority.

Every time I've seen a Metroid game box art, she's wearing bulky power armor.

Where did the skin-tight blue suit come from? Just Nintendo going "hey, we need a hot female character and we already own this one"?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So a question that's been bouncing around my head since seeing the replacement costumes in Fatal Frame.

I've never played any of the Metroid games. I own the last one they made on the Wii and plan to play it one of these days, but it's not been a high priority.

Where did the skin-tight blue suit come from? Just Nintendo going "hey, we need a hot female character and we already own this one"?

the blue suit is the Zero Suit. She wears it under the armour. There are both good and bad reasons for seeing it in games. The good being it brings a different mechanic to the games because it gives Samus a new/different/more limited set of tools to work with. if done right it can be an interesting game mechanic.

The bad reason is that, well it's a skintight suit that can be busted out as "hey look she's in a skintight suit"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

In one of the earlier games at the end of the game she was revealed to be wearing a skin tight suit of sorts. This is basically what she wears under the power suit, and was either redesigned in another game later on and was then added to smash or was redesigned for smash, I can't remember which.

edit: ah here an article on the subject: http://www.gamesradar.com/a-brief-history-of-samus-in-her-underwear/

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    In one of the earlier games at the end of the game she was revealed to be wearing a skin tight suit of sorts.

Actually the out-of-suit Samus has been around since the first game, though you had to use a code to play as her.

She wasn't as sexy looking, but it's harder to represent that in just a few pixels on the NES. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    In one of the earlier games at the end of the game she was revealed to be wearing a skin tight suit of sorts.

Actually the out-of-suit Samus has been around since the first game, though you had to use a code to play as her.

Yes, but the blue full-body Eva suit design, as opposed to the leotard, first came about in Metroid Zero Mission, in which the extra chapter of the game begins with Samus's ship being shot down and her suit being destroyed, forcing her to metal gear her way through a Pirate base until she gets a replacement suit.

Which is why it's called the Zero Suit, after Zero Mission.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

She wasn't as sexy looking, but it's harder to represent that in just a few pixels on the NES. :P

Actually that's a misconception. If you finished the game under 2 hours Samus would remove the armor and then she's armor-less when the game starts over. I think most people believe the Justin Bailey code was necessary because they never achieved it on their own.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

They don't

Wii U discs can hold more than 32 gigs

Your system should probably be able to store more than just one of your discs! That seems crazy to me that it wouldn't

And yeah, PS3 and 360 had the same issues, and were rightly shat on for it until their successor machines fixed the issue

hell, it didn't even take the successor machiens for teh 360 and PS3. later on in the life you could buy a sku of each that had 500GB drives. and I mean, in 2005, when the Xbox 360 came out, I don't fault microsoft for not necessarily having the foresight for 40GB game downloads a few years later, especially when the 360 was never really designed with it in mind.

Or, in the PS3 (and PS4) you could just buy any high capasity Laptop drive and stick it in there.

Though I'm not sure what the big deal is setting up a portable hard drive for the WiiU is, outside of it taking up space and potentially being ugly. All you need is a cheap external drive, a Y-cable, and you're golden.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Thanks all for the zero suit explanation; sounds like it was a one-off thing that took on a life of its own for obvious reasons :)
    Barring the tutorial of Wind Waker, I haven't played any Zelda games either, but at least in that case it made sense for a princess character to have a very princess-like outfit.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    If Nintendo keeps developing hd games, won't they at some point need those games to start installing to a hard drive to alleviate load times?

I am a are I may not understand the issue well enough so anyone feel free to educate.

I mean, conveniance can't be the reason for needing to install a disk purchased game to the hd with the 4 and the One.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has optional data installs if you have the disc version of the game. Those alone are about 11 gigs, so I assume they are aware. However, the kind of games Nintendo makes don't tend to all that big. The only game coming out on the Wii U I can see doing what XBX is doing is probably Zelda U, and maybe FExSMT.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    From the comments section of Destructoid talking about Wolly World:

"I suffer from Depression, have for years and the other day I was having a rather bad bout of it, so I tried gaming to distract myself from everything and I decided to play this for the first time and its so happy, so infectiously delightful that it actually managed to break me from my slump for the duration that I was playing it... and that is enough for me to say that I love this game to bits, little woolly bits"

That's strong.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So apparently November's Famitsu will have an interview with Eiji Aonuma about Wii U Zelda games. While we will definitely get more details on the unnamed Wii U game, we'll probably also get confirmation about Twilight Princess HD.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

If the game you own is Other M, please understand that it is in many respects not representative of the rest of the series, and is in fact banned from discussion in the Metroid thread because it is such a controversial thread-ruiner whenever it gets dragged up.

Try Metroid Fusion or one of the others on the Virtual Console!

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Start with either Super Metroid or Metroid Prime.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    There's nothing controversial about Other M. It's universally hated.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    There's a contingent (to which I belong) that's merely ambivalent toward it.

But I'll grant you that you probably won't find anyone who'll fight for the game enthusiastically.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MovieBob will fight tooth and nail to defend that game, for some reason.

post.png
  • Options
    Please don't talk about it. This thread is too young to die.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

In one of the earlier games at the end of the game she was revealed to be wearing a skin tight suit of sorts. This is basically what she wears under the power suit, and was either redesigned in another game later on and was then added to smash or was redesigned for smash, I can't remember which.

edit: ah here an article on the subject: http://www.gamesradar.com/a-brief-history-of-samus-in-her-underwear/

The ending outfits from the two GBA games are more or less the least-objectifying ones they've done. The zero suit has issues.

That said, Prime II's ending handles it pretty well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    If they released Other M on Wii U VC I'd probably buy it

What I played of it was fun, just the dodge mechanic felt pretty weird

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Let's just say that for Other M the gameplay is mostly good and the story is "meh". As a Metroid game it's fairly mediocre, but on its own in general it's pretty good. Where it fails as a Metroid game is that it doesn't really encourage or even allow a lot of back tracking or exploration until way too late in the game (basically the end). And the story has too many contrivances to really hold up to much scrutiny (and will probably make even less sense as a newcomer), but if you can ignore it you'll probably have a fun time anyway.

Other M just wasn't the game people wanted, although I'd like to see some of the ideas and mechanics taken into better environments. Probably won't happen though. There won't be a single Metroid game this gen...
    Play Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission
    And then get the Prime Trilogy

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Is Zero Mission on Wii U VC yet?

• Options
    Not in US.

Yep, it's a bad decision.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    So apparently November's Famitsu will have an interview with Eiji Aonuma about Wii U Zelda games. While we will definitely get more details on the unnamed Wii U game, we'll probably also get confirmation about Twilight Princess HD.

When does it come out? The magazine, I mean.

• Options
    Not in US.

Damn it makes me angry. What the hell, Nintendo.

MNC Dover, punch Reggie next time you see him. I just know he's responsible... with his big old smug face and wearing that stupid Metroid pin.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

A magazine interview doesn't feel like the ideal place for a reveal like that anymore. Most of the time they like to have control over global broadcasting of the announcement through a Direct, marketing they have complete control over. However, they still seem to be reeling from Iwata's passing and aren't doing Directs, so perhaps they would make an announcement there.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

When does it come out? The magazine, I mean.

Tomorrow.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering about Mario Tennis. The stuff they've showed so far is super bare-bones, to the point that i wonder if this game is going to be even more content-bare than Open for 3DS.

Fortunately i'm not getting it at launch (waiting the extra two weeks for XCX), but i have to wonder what's up, especially because they've been very careful on their wording about multiplayer, leading to substantive doubt that this even has online play.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I'm wondering about Mario Tennis. The stuff they've showed so far is super bare-bones, to the point that i wonder if this game is going to be even more content-bare than Open for 3DS.

Fortunately i'm not getting it at launch (waiting the extra two weeks for XCX), but i have to wonder what's up, especially because they've been very careful on their wording about multiplayer, leading to substantive doubt that this even has online play.

There's no way it doesn't have online play. That said... yeah, the videos look super bland. Which I hope is not indicative of the final game.

Mario Power Tennis is so damn good. I just want them to make that same game with online play and HD graphics.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Not in US.

Do JP and Euro versions have the unlockable NES Metroid? Also, does Wii U VC DK64 have Arcade DK and Jetpack?

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »

If the game you own is Other M, please understand that it is in many respects not representative of the rest of the series, and is in fact banned from discussion in the Metroid thread because it is such a controversial thread-ruiner whenever it gets dragged up.

Try Metroid Fusion or one of the others on the Virtual Console!

Well, like I said, I've never played any of the Metroid games, and this one I bought mostly because Team Ninja. If it's terrible, I won't take it as an indictment of the franchise. If I wind up loving it, it sounds like I should just keep that to myself, though.

• Options
    Nah

If you like it there's nothing wrong with that

Fuck the haters

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah only keep it to yourself if you don't want to hear pages and pages of social commentary on a game they've probably never even played. Don't pretend to hate it for fear of people not liking you or whatever.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The only thing I didn't like about it was the motion controls, and how they wanted you to move the Wii Mote around to switch to missiles, and switch to first person. I found it annoying.

I really liked everything else though.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Those specific haters or just in general?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    There's legit good stuff about it, but talking about them is like trying to have a conversation about the merits of the Star Wars prequels. That hill has been bombed over so many times that nothing good can grow there any more.
    I liked the game's acrobatics, though. Really clicked with the feel of the Super Metroid style.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah only keep it to yourself if you don't want to hear pages and pages of social commentary on a game they've probably never even played. Don't pretend to hate it for fear of people not liking you or whatever.

Or pages and pages of social commentary on a game they have played and now have the horrible memory seared onto their brains for an eternity.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    There's legit good stuff about it, but talking about them is like trying to have a conversation about the merits of the Star Wars prequels. That hill has been bombed over so many times that nothing good can grow there any more.
    I liked the game's acrobatics, though. Really clicked with the feel of the Super Metroid style.

Exactly. The Metroid Prime games were great, but at the end of the day, Samus was slow and clunky in those games. Very unlike the quick and agile Samus of the 2D games. Other M was much closer to how she should handle in a 3D space.