As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sul wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed that Fatal Frame didn't get a midnight eShop release.

I wasn't the only one looking then? I don't want to play this game in the daytime.

I just wanted to download it overnight to have it ready for when I get home. Now I'll have to wait a few hours tonight and probably not play it until tomorrow.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Not sure if this was already known, but Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is available in a slightly unusual way; a "Free to Start" game as Nintendo puts it. The WiiU eshop offers the prologue and first two chapters for free, and the upgrade to the all 14 chapters (together, not separate) is available as "DLC" (which it actually does download). Edit: Now that I think about it, it effectively amounts to the way Wolfenstein and DOOM were originally sold on PC. You get the first bit free and then the larger portion is a paid upgrade.

I also don't see any option to just buy the game outright, so it looks like Nintendo may be testing this style of release with this title. This almost-Shareware model (getting a decent chunk of the game to sample and having progress continue without a hitch once upgraded) is a thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of on console.

It was also a nice surprise that the price in the US eshop is just $50, rather than the $60 I was expecting. Not seeing this on the Amazon Digital Wii U shop yet. I hope the above doesn't put too much of a wrinkle in making games available that way.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Wow that is really cool. I would actually get it just to try it when I otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

I could see that actually getting quite a bit of sales that otherwise wouldn't happen.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I will def be trying it out now

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I will also be trying it out now. This would have been a game I otherwise would have completely ignored. Pretty smart way for a company to get their game out there. If you are confident in your product then this is a great way to get people to try out and hopefully buy it. This method won't work if you're putting out garbage.

IceBurner wrote: »
    Not sure if this was already known, but Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is available in a slightly unusual way; a "Free to Start" game as Nintendo puts it. The WiiU eshop offers the prologue and first two chapters for free, and the upgrade to the all 14 chapters (together, not separate) is available as "DLC" (which it actually does download). Edit: Now that I think about it, it effectively amounts to the way Wolfenstein and DOOM were originally sold on PC. You get the first bit free and then the larger portion is a paid upgrade.

I also don't see any option to just buy the game outright, so it looks like Nintendo may be testing this style of release with this title. This almost-Shareware model (getting a decent chunk of the game to sample and having progress continue without a hitch once upgraded) is a thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of on console.

It was also a nice surprise that the price in the US eshop is just $50, rather than the $60 I was expecting. Not seeing this on the Amazon Digital Wii U shop yet. I hope the above doesn't put too much of a wrinkle in making games available that way.

Yeah, it's basically a demo which is cool.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I downloaded the demo to see if I would like it and I think I'm going to get the full game. It's old school as fuck, but in a good way in this case despite the clunkiness (which seems intentional in the same way that Monster Hunter or the original Tomb Raider games are, making all of your actions deliberate). I've only played the first chapter and prologue and holy shit is this game scary. The sound design is excellent, and the sounds that come from both the television and GamePad simultaneously are nerve wracking, and the use of rumble as a heart beat ramps things up. My only complaint so far really is that the dialog sound level is too low and can't be adjusted.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCD8E5cJGE

Finally, a loud, fat, American 'Big Friend' type instead of all these pretty boys and pop idols. This game just keeps looking better.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Gamecube version is still the best version of that game.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Nice. This is the best edition of RE4.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Finally, a loud, fat, American 'Big Friend' type instead of all these pretty boys and pop idols. This game just keeps looking better.

I am laughing my ass off at they name "Barry Goodman". I bet he's a very good man.

At least they didn't go with Guy Jean.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Nice. This is the best edition of any Resident Evil game, period.

You were correct. I just made you more correct.

wunderbar wrote: »

Horrible lies and slander.

vagrant_winds on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Surprisingly, I found the Wii version a little better. Graphically there was virtually no difference, but having the pointer used to aim made combat a lot smoother and easier. Capcom did the right thing though and reduced the enemy drops as a result. In the GC version, I had an overflow of ammo and grenades, where the Wii version felt more like RE 1-3 with me having just enough extra ammo to get by an area.

To me, those small changes really changed the pacing and feel of the game in a good way.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I was deeply upset that RE6 didn't have motion controls after playing Wiimote RE4 and PSMove RE5. They're just so good in the series.

But yes, the motion controls make you hyper-accurate at aiming so the limited ammo is a must to compensate.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is RE4 the first third party Wii game to hit the eShop?

edited October 2015
    Is RE4 the first third party Wii game to hit the eShop?

No.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade* (though semi-pointless with the Vita remake with more story and content) and Trauma Team are both on the Japanese e-Shop.
    *Also, the English Wii version had a terrible localization.

vagrant_winds on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Surprisingly, I found the Wii version a little better. Graphically there was virtually no difference, but having the pointer used to aim made combat a lot smoother and easier. Capcom did the right thing though and reduced the enemy drops as a result. In the GC version, I had an overflow of ammo and grenades, where the Wii version felt more like RE 1-3 with me having just enough extra ammo to get by an area.

To me, those small changes really changed the pacing and feel of the game in a good way.

I don't think they changed the drops, the game has always had dynamic difficulty. Getting fewer drops is just a side effect of the combat being pathetically easy in that version.

Now I want to go play the GC version of RE4 again. Thanks everyone. Not like Halo is coming out next week or anything. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The Wii version of RE4 also had the extra Ada Wong missions as well I think.

The Wii version of RE4 also had the extra Ada Wong missions as well I think.

The Wii version had all the bonus content added in the PS2 version + more bonus content + the best control scheme.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The Wii version was the best version of PS2/GC/Wii because it had all the extra content but also let you use the GC controller, which is preferable to the horrible Wii remote aiming setup

The PS3/360 versions were both better than the Wii version because it had a much sharper look, all the content, and better controllers (especially the 360, that pad is glorious for RE4)

If this version somehow lets you use the GameCube controller using the GC controller adapter, it would be worth a look, but it almost certainly won't, so it's not

I will never understand how anyone didn't like pointer aiming.

Seriously. It's the only way to play the game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Because it isn't better?
    Yes, I deliberately did that in a troll-y way. I personally don't prefer it, but good on those who do

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Having played both for probably 300 hours each the Wii version is definitely easier and the pointer is beyond superior for aiming and crowd control.

Not preferring is one thing but it's the superior method. If you have a pistol grip for your wiimote it's almost transcendent

Except for that fucking crosshair

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

It makes my wrist hurt.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    which is preferable to the horrible Wii remote aiming setup

45909913.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I wasn't a fan of RE4, but aiming on the Wii was pretty good.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    The re4 wii controls were fun, but they weren't satisfying

Scoring a roundhouse or suplex in the cube version took (at least a little) skill and felt earned when you watched it happen. With the wiimote, there was no skill. Almost every enemy could quickly be dispatched with just one bullet, and kneecap-suplex-rinse-repeat got old really fast.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    There was still skill involved with aiming quickly and dispatching multiple enemies at once.

• darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    You could play Wii RE4 with a GC controller, you know.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    darren66 wrote: »
    You could play Wii RE4 with a GC controller, you know.

You could also play with the classic controller, which means you should be able to play directly off the gamepad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I didn't realize everyone was such a fucking crack shot.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Control preferences all come down to personal experience and body. Nobody's right or wrong.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Except for you, Enlong. You're wrong. ;)

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I didn't realize everyone was such a fucking crack shot.

Killed everyone I've ever met out here. Headshots all of, snap! Right on the medulla.

Edit: Oh. You mean in the game, don't you?

chiasaur11 on
    Fatal Frame is so good. But god the controls are so bad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA