As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    But...but...Donkey Kong TF.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    But...but...Donkey Kong TF.

Release one more Donkey Kong Country Returns game, then a year or two later, the DKC Returns Trilogy can bundle them all together on NX, sold in limited numbers so it goes for ridiculous prices on the after market. Then sometime later on NX 2 they can just release it digitally for $10.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Then have another company help out on a huge, big budget Donkey Kong game that kills the franchise stone dead.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Then have another company help out on a huge, big budget Donkey Kong game that kills the franchise stone dead.

Followed several years later by the next game featuring the animal pals only (Donkey Kong will have a 10 second cameo) in a co-op tactical RPG that works to tell the backstory of Stanley from Donkey Kong 3.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Even if a game developer using an existing engine doesn't have to worry about platform differences, the engine developer most certainly did. And if an engine adds support for a new platform, it doesn't automatically mean that existing games will run on that platform. At absolute minimum, the game would have to be updated to be use the new version of the engine and a version for that platform exported/compiled.

Any specific game engine is not going to be a factor in whether the NX will play Wii U games.

All I meant was that I haven't heard the actual scope of the impact of the difference in architecture. I don't think I ever read a developer using the architecture as an excuse not to port a game to Wii U, or give anything concrete like "it takes 5x as long to port due to being PowerPC" etc.

The thing that costs the most resources in the porting process is almost certainly with regard to processing power differences, RAM availability, resource management etc. and not the architecture.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    and then we petition Nintendo to cancel it, all mention of Donkey Kong: Other D gets banned in the DK thread, and nintendo is doomed.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Cut out the middleman and let me play as Rambi directly? Yes please

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    While it sucks that the Wii U is coming to an early end after I've owned one barely a year, I still do not regret my purchase. I've had more fun with it and especially Smash 4 than just about anything in a long time. Until there is another Smash on the NX or whatever it ends up being called, I will be playing Smash 4 on my Wii U.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Man...I'm so conflicted. There's so much I hate about the Wii U, but I love to boot it up much more than my PS4. I hate the tablet controller battery life but man is it GREAT when you have to share the TV. Sigh...too bad you never got that momentum going Wii U.

I love my Wii U way more than any of the others this gen. I boot it up almost every day, even if sometimes it's just to watch youtube videos or something on my big TV. The Gamepad makes that much more convenient. And Hyrule Warriors is still my favorite game of 2014 :P

It's pretty much the only console that actually offers something that PCs don't.

Edit: In theory, the Wii U (and the 3DS) could eventually be completely replaced by a more generic tablet. In practice, tablet manufacturers are completely oblivious to the fact that touch screen-only controls are horrible, and show no signs of educating themselves in the near future.

jothki on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think it could mean two things: the NX is coming out this year and it's not backwards compatible or the NX is coming out next year.

I'm curious why you think that. IMO, all it means is they don't expect Wii U to sell much once NX is released (reasonable assumption given it doesn't sell much now :P). I don't really see backwards compatibility factoring in at all though. I mean, Wiis still sold after Wii U was released. GameCubes still sold after Wii was released, etc etc. People like to pick up the old generation on the cheap, especially when you have, say, a family on a budget who wants to get any kind of vidjamagame system for their kid(s) at the cheapest price possible :P Super cheap console with a big library of likely discounted games can be very attractive compared to brand new $400+ console with like 5 games :P

Except the Wii U doesn't even have the social cache of the Gamecube and it has the gamepad keeping prices up. I don't know if they can reasonably get the price of new Wii Us down to impulse buy territory. And your last point is exactly what I was saying, if the NX is backwards compatible it will have all of those cheap Wii U games in addition to it's 5 games but if it isn't then the Wii U still has a reason to exist. I think the demand for the Wii U in a post backwards compatible NX announcement is essentially nothing.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    jothki wrote: »
    In practice, tablet manufacturers are completely oblivious to the fact that touch screen-only controls are horrible, and show no signs of educating themselves in the near future.

In practice, until Nintendo releases a combined console-handheld device to blow everyone away the Tablet user share that would see physical controls as make-or-break is too small to sustain even whatever nonsense Nvidia has been trying to hustle.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    So in perpetuity.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    In practice, tablet manufacturers are completely oblivious to the fact that touch screen-only controls are horrible, and show no signs of educating themselves in the near future.

In practice, until Nintendo releases a combined console-handheld device to blow everyone away the Tablet user share that would see physical controls as make-or-break is too small to sustain even whatever nonsense Nvidia has been trying to hustle.

Yeah, the market for a gaming-focused phone/tablet just isn't there. Nvidia tried. Sony tried. Hell, Nokia tried. It's just that gaming hobbyists tend to consider mobile gaming a distraction at best, shovelware at worst. Meanwhile, the general public isn't going to play a premium for gaming-focused features that they're never going to use.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Yeah, the market for a gaming-focused phone/tablet just isn't there. Nvidia tried. Sony tried. Hell, Nokia tried. It's just that gaming hobbyists tend to consider mobile gaming a distraction at best, shovelware at worst. Meanwhile, the general public isn't going to play a premium for gaming-focused features that they're never going to use.

This is honestly what has me the most worried. Handheld market share gets smaller every year with the phones and tablets eating share, to the point I imagine a lot of developers will not develop for handhelds as much anymore. But the phone and table market is basically toxic to making what most of us would consider solid full games, and only a very few such have succeeded there. The market is crystallized in a state where paying for games is a premium thing instead of a basic assumption, and piracy is both ridiculously easy and outrageously common on anything that actually costs money up front. And you can't charge prices that would be reasonable on something like, I don't know, Final Fantasy Explorers, because the mobile market sees a 6€ game as a pricy deluxe thing. And then add the control problems that are compounded by the fact that external gaming controls basically negate the primary advantage of portable devices, and that only makes it even less enticing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    This news is bummer to me, I love the Wii U, it's probably my favorite Nintendo console, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the writing has been on the wall for some time now. Every single person I've recommended it to has given me a funny look, even my friend who's a complete Star Fox nut, winning the PAX Prime Star Fox contest two years in a row, sent me a text the other day asking if he could come over to my house for a week to play through Star Fox Zero.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

This is honestly what has me the most worried. Handheld market share gets smaller every year with the phones and tablets eating share, to the point I imagine a lot of developers will not develop for handhelds as much anymore. But the phone and table market is basically toxic to making what most of us would consider solid full games, and only a very few such have succeeded there. The market is crystallized in a state where paying for games is a premium thing instead of a basic assumption, and piracy is both ridiculously easy and outrageously common on anything that actually costs money up front. And you can't charge prices that would be reasonable on something like, I don't know, Final Fantasy Explorers, because the mobile market sees a 6€ game as a pricy deluxe thing. And then add the control problems that are compounded by the fact that external gaming controls basically negate the primary advantage of portable devices, and that only makes it even less enticing.

Well there's some good news. Steam often is a place where the most interesting mobile games can go (Republique, FF games, etc) and Apple TV is pushing for a standard platform where paying money for something past Angry Birds would be reasonable.

• Options
    I still love the idea of a hybrid console/handheld model, where running on a handheld just runs at low PC settings basically, less AA, lower res, closer LOD models and less dense foliage. Buy one game and you've already got it for both platforms. Great incentive to buy both devices if you have one or the other. Keeps a handheld with buttons relevant. Nintendo could pull it off.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I still love the idea of a hybrid console/handheld model, where running on a handheld just runs at low PC settings basically, less AA, lower res, closer LOD models and less dense foliage. Buy one game and you've already got it for both platforms. Great incentive to buy both devices if you have one or the other. Keeps a handheld with buttons relevant. Nintendo could pull it off.

Ya know... and this is just because I am a cranky old man - I am tired of charging shit. I don't want a device that requires I keep it charged and then I have to worry about it dying on me as I play like with the Wii U.

It's a petty complaint but the less power consumption the new controller has the better, imo.

Note: I *love* Wii U Gamepad. I have huge hands and it is perfect. It's great. Comfy. But I hate it dying because I can't shut it off for half the games I play.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    anyone want to buy a Zelda Edition Wii U

it's broken, but barely used =/

• Options

Ya know... and this is just because I am a cranky old man - I am tired of charging shit. I don't want a device that requires I keep it charged and then I have to worry about it dying on me as I play like with the Wii U.

It's a petty complaint but the less power consumption the new controller has the better, imo.

Note: I *love* Wii U Gamepad. I have huge hands and it is perfect. It's great. Comfy. But I hate it dying because I can't shut it off for half the games I play.

I'm the same way, I never liked the forced move to wireless controllers. I have an outlet next to my recliner, my gamepad has never run out of power while I was using it. I've probably put over 1000 hours into my 3DS and it's been plugged into power for most of them. And my cell is a crappy old flip phone provided by my workplace that has a battery that lasts longer than a week!

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

I'm the same way, I never liked the forced move to wireless controllers. I have an outlet next to my recliner, my gamepad has never run out of power while I was using it. I've probably put over 1000 hours into my 3DS and it's been plugged into power for most of them. And my cell is a crappy old flip phone provided by my workplace that has a battery that lasts longer than a week!

Get on with the times, Sporky!

I also like wired better. Hi5!

• Options
    It's not that I'd turn down a better phone but all my friends are paying like $50-100 a month for theirs...free is the right price.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Ah well. It is what it is. Roll on the NeXt thing.

• Options
    Nintendo denies the report.

I can't read Japanese to parse the source myself, though.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Nintendo denies the report.

I can't read Japanese to parse the source myself, though.

I do read Japanese. :)

The original article, at

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO98745680T20C16A3TI5000/?dg=1

任天堂は主力の据え置き型ゲーム機「Wii U」の生産を年内にも終了する。

"Nintendo will be ending production of its flagship game machine, the Wii U, by the end of the year"

It's kind of cut and dry. It goes on from there to explain that poor software sales led Nintendo to decide that there was not a chance of turning around sales and talks about the upcoming game system.

The response article is pretty dry

任天堂は23日、据え置き型ゲーム機「Wii U」の生産を年内にも終了するとの日本経済新聞の記事について「当社からの発表ではない」として、「来期以降も生産は継続して行う予定」だと取材に答えた。

"On the 23rd, in response to an article in the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Nintendo announced that production of the Wii U would be continuing as normal from now on"

So pretty much just a "nuh uh, we're going to keep making them"

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think it'll take a week of playing the NX to convince myself I didn't buy rumor in a box

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    For anyone complaining about the battery life of the gamepad:

http://m.play-asia.com/wii-u-gamepad-high-capacity-battery-2550mah/13/707b45

Just get it. It's absolutely worth it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I am inclined to believe Nintendo's word, as they stopped producing Famicoms in 2003. But Maybe Nikkei meant that they will stop supporting with new titles? Regardless of the wording they used.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Oh, good grief with all this.

edzepp on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

No

You shouldn't have to

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Whatever. You can or keep being dissatisfied. The option is there. And some people might find the suggestion helpful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I just keep it plugged in behind my couch as I play. But I understand that everyone's got a different outlet situation.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

No

You shouldn't have to

Especially when you can get a half-dozen or more extension cords for that price, and just string them together.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

In Neogaf, some user who has been right in the past (conserning Pokemon B/W 2 reveal) said that we'll get some info before E3. That was almost a given, I know, but this kind of semi-confirmation (maybe) is nice. So, Direct coming before E3?

Grebnu on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Non Specific Action Figure will announce the NX, and star in it's launch title.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Grebnu wrote: »

In Neogaf, some user who has been right in the past (conserning Pokemon B/W 2 reveal) said that we'll get some info before E3. That was almost a given, I know, but this kind of semi-confirmation (maybe) is nice. So, Direct coming before E3?

About what was he right? Because I've heard of people being right about things as vague and predictable as "the next game will have new forms for existing Pokemon".

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Followed several years later by the next game featuring the animal pals only (Donkey Kong will have a 10 second cameo) in a co-op tactical RPG that works to tell the backstory of Stanley from Donkey Kong 3.

I was just sort of nodding like "yeah, yeah, yeah" to this -- up to that last part.

That part I am genuinely interested in.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just keep it plugged in behind my couch as I play. But I understand that everyone's got a different outlet situation.

This is what I do, my gamepad just stays plugged in the whole time I play, so battery life has never been an issue for me.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular

If they could do this and allow people to play the popular third party games like Destiny or The Division, they would sell a ton NXs. But, without the third party support, they might as well just go with the cheap console model (such as the Wii) that people will not minding spending the money to place along side their Xbox or PS consoles. The Wii U just missed the price point for this. It was too expensive for most people to have as a secondary console.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hell controllers nowadays seem kinda cheap. When I got my PS4 the charging cable they gave me was like 2ft long. When I bought another controller it didn't even have the charging cable with it. So right now I have two controllers and one charging cable and have to swap them out from time to time.

At least the Gamepad's charging cable is like 6ft long so I can plug it in the wall and have it reach me.