As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Canada Vote Day! - Liberal Majority

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I mean we had some candidates resign over social media behaviour this election

but it was stuff like saying a fencepost at Auschwitz looked phallic (and then justifying it by saying they weren't aware it was a photo of Auschwitz because they hadn't been aware what Auschwitz was), or making youtube videos of themselves sexually harassing telephone customer service agents

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Don't forget peeing in a mug (though that's surveillance footage and not a Youtube) and VirJiny Provost, who's 18 years old and posted in a Youtube that if she went to a desert island she'd bring her cell phone, a penis and a ton of chips.

Also she was born Virginie but changed her name's spelling to VirJiny, capital J, "to make it more like Ron's sister from Harry Potter".

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    VirJiny's answer was awesome though

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Why would you want a penis, specifically a penis and not a dildo

That seems

That would rot pretty quickly

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Honestly, no one cared when Mhairi did it either. It was generally accepted that it made her seem more human and increased her popularity a lot. There was no scandal.

Besides, maths is shite

:(

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That's gonna be pretty heavy

If they change to preferential voting I wonder how it will affect the ability of the cons to be elected in the future

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Math is actually pretty great
    I am however shit at it

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That's gonna be pretty heavy

If they change to preferential voting I wonder how it will affect the ability of the cons to be elected in the future

It'll probably tank it, which is half the point. Ideally the non crazy members of their caucus would just split off into another party to get elected while the reformers wither and die.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our conservatives dealt with it by forging an undissolvable (yet eternally strained) coalition with the major farming party. Neither of them like each other very much, but alone each party would be completely unelectable, so they seem to be in it for the long haul.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    via the d&d thread about this stuff:
    xHGGSc6.jpg

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Our conservatives dealt with it by forging an undissolvable (yet eternally strained) coalition with the major farming party. Neither of them like each other very much, but alone each party would be completely unelectable, so they seem to be in it for the long haul.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens in Canada.

A lot of Liberal voters who would gladly put the former Tories (Progressive Conservative under Joe Clark as their last leader) as their second choice in the election seem a lot less likely to do that with the Conservative party in its current incarnation, since it is, essentially, the Reform/CRAP party (my favourite unintentionally accurate acronym), which never saw any real success east of the Prairies.

Either they split back into two Conservative parties and risk some vote splitting with the more extreme right-wing party to get back some of their old supporters in Ontario and the East (or at the very least show up as the 'second' choice on a lot more ballots, if we go that way), or they see vote splitting as the far greater threat and keep their uneasy right-wing coalition together.

Whatever lets more NDP into office, I say.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

It'll be really interesting to see what happens in Canada.

A lot of Liberal voters who would gladly put the former Tories (Progressive Conservative under Joe Clark as their last leader) as their second choice in the election seem a lot less likely to do that with the Conservative party in its current incarnation, since it is, essentially, the Reform/CRAP party (my favourite unintentionally accurate acronym), which never saw any real success east of the Prairies.

Either they split back into two Conservative parties and risk some vote splitting with the more extreme right-wing party to get back some of their old supporters in Ontario and the East (or at the very least show up as the 'second' choice on a lot more ballots, if we go that way), or they see vote splitting as the far greater threat and keep their uneasy right-wing coalition together.

Whatever lets more NDP into office, I say.

In a way I hope all of this is now moot, if Trudeau keeps his promise that this was the last First past the post election.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I wanna talk about Trudeu's new Cabinet.
    #pipe wrote: »
    So Canada elected a new Prime Minister a couple weeks ago and yesterday he announced his new cabinet

It is a fucking baller cabinet.

A Decorated Canadian Military Officer who is also a Sikh as Minister of Defence
    sajjan.jpg

An Aboriginal Legal Scholar as Justice Minister
    wilson-raybould.jpg

An Inuit as Minister for Fisheries and Oceans. That's a Sealskin necktie he's wearing
    CS-6-GVWEAA17Pr.jpg

The best part was when Trudeau dropped this fucking bomb of an answer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk2aSBrR6U

12208734_10156149309560403_8627829858016462762_n.jpg?oh=7d2b680a431f568e96313c66d778494c&oe=56BD8560

I'm overwhelmed by how weird these appointments seem, and by what it means that they seem weird

like the fact that the minister for science is a Nobel Prize winning actual scientist is insane and unheard of, but I'm pretty sure it should actually be the norm

what do you guys think?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    First I've seen someone called an Inuit in a long long time. Usually I see people call them Eskimos, which I'm almost certain is a slur. Though I am curious what the difference between Inuit and Canadian Aboriginal is.

Also that looks like a fantastic cabinet.

Madican on
  • Options
    Inuit is one of the First Nations of Canada.

Together with the Yupik Nation of northern Alaska, they were collectively known as Eskimo for a long time.

As a term it doesn't have derogatory origins, but has fallen out of favor because of a history of use as a slur.

The difference between Inuit and Canadian Aboriginal is that the former is a small part of the latter and should only be used to refer to people actually from the Inuit Nation. There are hundreds of First Nations, members of any of which can be referred to as Aboriginal.

• Options
    even Aboriginal is starting to fall out of use, hence the renaming of the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs to Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs

the most commonly preferred terms to use are indigenous/indigenous peoples, or First Nations

• Options
    also our new Minister of National Defense got incredibly high praise from the head of the Coalition Task Force in Afghanistan for his apparently unheard of intelligence gathering skills, which consisted largely of working with local populations and building trust.
    Headquarters

Coalition Task Force AEGIS

Regional Command (South)

Kandahar Airfield, Kandahar, Afghanistan

16, September, 2006

Chief Constable J.H. Graham

LETTER OF APPRECIATION—DETECTIVE CONSTABLE NUMBER 1967-HARJIT SAJJAN

1. I have had the pleasure of having Constable and Major Harjit Sajjan work for me for the past nine months on OPERATION ARCHER/ATHENA, Canada’s contribution to the global war on terror in Afghanistan. I must say that Major Sajjan is one of the most remarkable people I have worked with, and his contribution to the success of the mission and the safety of Canadian soldiers was nothing short of remarkable.

2. Maj Sajjan was specially selected for the demanding and challenging task of acting as the Liaison Officer to the Afghan national Police on behalf of the Combined Task Force (CTF) Aegis HQ because of the civilian skillset he brought to the table as an undercover narcotics officer. His job further changed into being a special intelligence officer working direct to Commander CTF Aegis because of his ability to understand and exploit criminal networks. He consistently provided the most timely and accurate intelligence available, and he personally fused broad sources of information into an extremely coherent picture upon which most of the formations major operations were based. Not only did he display a rare high level of intellect and experience in his analysis, he also demonstrated remarkable personal courage in his collection efforts, often working in the face of the enemy to collect data and confirm his suspicions, and placing himself almost daily in situations of grave personal risk. His products were cogent and demonstrated a profound understanding of the Taliban (TV) and tribal networks which were critical to making formation and unit operations successful. He was the best single Canadian intelligence asset in theater, and his hard work, personal bravery and dogged determination undoubtedly saved a multitude of Coalition lives. Through his courage and dedication, Major Sajjan has singlehandedly changed the face of intelligence gathering and analysis in Afghanistan.

3. He tirelessly and selflessly devoted himself to piecing together the ground truth on tribal and Taliban networks in the Kandahar area, and his analysis was so compelling that it drove a number of large scale theatre-resourced efforts, including OPERATION MEDUSA, a large scale conventional combat operation that resulted in the defeat of the largest TB cell yet identified in Afghanistan, with over 1500 Taliban killed or captured. I rate him as one of the best intelligence officers I have ever worked with—fearless, smart, and personable, and I would not hesitate to have him on my staff at any time in the future. I have advised my chain of command that the Canadian Forces must capture his skillset, and seek his advice on how to change our entire tactical intelligence training and architecture to best meet the needs of future deployed units fighting in extremely complex human battlespace.

4. I cannot thank you enough for allowing Constable Sajjan to deploy with us on OPERATION ARCHER, and he has been an outstanding representative of the Vancouver City Police. I would ask that you pass my personal thanks on to Constable Sajjan, and to those who supported him and his family while he was over here with us. I pray that he stays safe now that he returns to the challenges and dangers of his “everyday job,” and ask that if I can ever be of assistance to either Constable Saja, or your Department, that you do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

David Fraser

Bridgadier General

Commander, CTF Aegis

• Options
    It's constantly evolving. The most important thing is to be cool with referring to people the way they want to be referred to.

A friend of mine doesn't like any of the umbrella terms, she prefers to be referred to as a member of the Squamish Nation.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
  • Options

that knife being a symbol of a Sikh's duty to defend the vulnerable from oppression
    "A Sikh must also have the courage to defend the rights of all who are wrongfully oppressed or persecuted irrespective of their colour, caste, or creed." - Guru Gobind Singh

I mean, I'm an atheist but I have absolutely no problem with the idea of my Minister of National Defense being a man of faith, especially if he believes strongly in stuff like that.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Honestly, no one cared when Mhairi did it either. It was generally accepted that it made her seem more human and increased her popularity a lot. There was no scandal.

Besides, maths is shite

:(

anvcefr.jpg

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    "One of our members is openly ginger."

That's... not something we need to be proud of, is it? I guess it's intended to be a joke, which I did get a chuckle out of, but it's not like a serious thing that "Hey guys! We have a redheaded member in the Cabinet!"

"Huzzah!"

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    "One of our members is openly ginger."

That's... not something we need to be proud of, is it? I guess it's intended to be a joke, which I did get a chuckle out of, but it's not like a serious thing that "Hey guys! We have a redheaded member in the Cabinet!"

"Huzzah!"

it's 100% a joke because the person who made that list is a ginger

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gotta appease the ginger-extremists.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Juuuust needed to be clear about that. Humour and politics are rarely a thing seen together.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I went as Justin Trudeau for Halloween. Curled my hair, grew a little douchebag goatee, gave out candy and leaflets. It went down really well, I'm just disappointed it'll never work that well again.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Damn, I usually shake my head at the ol' "this country's going to the dogs, I'm moving to Canada" tantrums, but damned if you guys aren't making a compelling case for actually moving to Canada.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Damn, I usually shake my head at the ol' "this country's going to the dogs, I'm moving to Canada" tantrums, but damned if you guys aren't making a compelling case for actually moving to Canada.

Good luck. Last I checked, you either need prior citizenship, to marry a citizen (to start the process), or be in an in-demand STEM job.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Or an ISIS refugee terrorist hellbent on the destroying the very fabric of Canadian society. According to many gnashing Conservatives I know, that'll make you a shoe-in.

Edit: This fills me with feel good feelings. Hopefully it plays out into a net-positive for our country.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/behind-the-scenes-with-justin-trudeau-on-his-1st-day-as-pm-1.3304860

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Good luck. Last I checked, you either need prior citizenship, to marry a citizen (to start the process), or be in an in-demand STEM job.

Or be one of the 25,000 Syrian refugees that our new PM has promised his government will bring here by the end of the year

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Or be one of the 25,000 Syrian refugees that our new PM has promised his government will bring here by the end of the year

Or that.

• Options

Hmm...

Any of you Canadian forumers interested in a green card marriage?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

That shows the different classes for immigration and who is eligible/in demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes to the site over the next couple of months as the new government's immigration policy is implemented.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Hmm...

what are you bringing to the table?

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

Hmm...

I'm good with computers and am decently handy around the house. I can be a "Player 2" for games. Also I have a car. That's useful, right?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Will suck dick for citizenship.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

Hmm...

I'm good with computers and am decently handy around the house. I can be a "Player 2" for games. Also I have a car. That's useful, right?

But how are you against moose?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    That list of canadian cabinet facts is pretty cool

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    The Conservatives have named Rona Ambrose as interim leader, which is the first woman in charge of that party interim or otherwise since what, Kim Campbell?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053