Options

[GAME ON]New Pokemon Thread! - DP Out now

• Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an example of something that would trigger Assurance's added effect? At first I thought something like poison, but that'd take effect afterwards. The only thing I can think of is recoil, and that's not terribly reliable.
    Recoil, confusion... spikes maybe. It seems pretty unreliable either way.
    Here's the best use of Assurance I can think of:

Gliscor @ Leftovers, Hyper Cutter
    Swords Dance
    Baton Pass
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Def/SpDef EVs

Sharpedo @ Leftovers, Rough Skin
    Taunt
    Assurance
    Earthquake
    Rest/Roar/Double-edge
    Def/SpDef EVs

The idea is to Swords Dance up with Gliscor, Roosting when necessary and Earthquaking anything it gets a chance to. When he's ready, he baton passes out to Sharpedo. Sharpedo Taunts, and that most of the enemy's attacks make contact with him, Rough Skin should proc nearly every turn. Then (assuming that Sharpedo is slower than the enemy) Assurance away for 100-power 100-accuracy STAB'd goodness. Earthquake is there for the inevitable Electric poke that comes out. I'm not sure about the last move, though. Sharpedo can't learn Wish/Roost/Recover/Softboiled, so he'd be stuck with Rest for a healing move, though he'd be getting hit every turn so he'd need it. Roar would be handy if he's facing a poke with no direct contact moves, while Double-edge would make him go out with a bang. I don't expect him to last more than a few turns, but he should take down a couple of pokes with him.

Though that means I need two Earthquake TMs, unless I replace Gliscor's.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I was reading the GBA exclusive list (GBA game in slot) and I see sandslash is only available on leafgreen. I don't have leafgreen, so does that mean I'll have to get him in a trade, or is there another way? Sandslash has always been one of my favorites, so I need him.

Edit: I just noticed lugia was on the unobtainable list. sorry I'm dumb.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I was reading the GBA exclusive list (GBA game in slot) and I see sandslash is only available on leafgreen. I don't have leafgreen, so does that mean I'll have to get him in a trade, or is there another way? Sandslash has always been one of my favorites, so I need him.

Also, lugia. How would I go about getting him, he isn't on the GBA list at all, but the OP doesn't exclude him.
    You get Lugia from Pokemon XD or from a Nintendo Event in Emerald.

I'm not entirely sure how those "GBA game in slot" Pokemon work. If that's the only way to get Sandslash, then I guess you'll have to trade for it. If you have access to online, it won't be any problem.

Taya on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm not entirely sure how those "GBA game in slot" Pokemon work. If that's the only way to get Sandslash, then I guess you'll have to trade for it. If you have access to online, it won't be any problem.
    If you are in a certain area, and you have a GBA generation game in your DS (I assume games like Pinball don't count), special wild pokemon have a chance to appear. I don't think these are all unobtainable, but rather another way to get certain pokemon.

Some Pokemon, however, such as older starters and legendaries, require the Pal Park GBA-to-DS trading.

EDIT: I stand corrected. All of these "GBA Slot" Pokemon are otherwise unobtainable.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If you are in a certain area, and you have a GBA generation game in your DS (I assume games like Pinball don't count), special wild pokemon have a chance to appear. I don't think these are all unobtainable, but rather another way to get certain pokemon.

Some Pokemon, however, such as older starters and legendaries, require the Pal Park GBA-to-DS trading.

EDIT: I stand corrected. All of these "GBA Slot" Pokemon are otherwise unobtainable.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I said, if you have access to online, the only Pokemon that you may have trouble finding are some legendaries. Anything that can be bred will be very common.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This is a list of GBA Slot Pokemon
    You can ONLY encounter these pokemon in the wild in D/P by having the proper GBA game in your DS. You do not, however, have to play the GBA games to get them. Just keep it in the DS and they'll appear in the wild in D/P.

These Pokemon do not show up in D/P at all
    You must play the previous generation of Pokemon to get these pokemon.

Obviously, trading is an option for both cases. NOTE: only friends have unlimited trading. Global trades can only be done if the pokemon you are recieving is already recorded in your Pokedex.

Hope that clears everything up for everyone.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wish they'd make an obtainable, possibly pre-evolved form of Mew. Like that weird Manaphy thing but not requiring having a Mew to get.

Jesus, anything, just make Mew easier to get!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Obviously, trading is an option for both cases. NOTE: only friends have unlimited trading. Global trades can only be done if the pokemon you are recieving is already recorded in your Pokedex.

Recorded in your Pokedex as seen not caught, yes?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    how soon can you start trading your old pokes to DS?

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Caught, not just seen.

But that is just for global stuff. Friend Code trades are just link the old link cable stuff with no strings attached.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Caught, not just seen.

But that is just for global stuff. Friend Code trades are just link the old link cable stuff with no strings attached.
    I don't think that's right. I believe you only have to see the Pokemon. I don't know for sure though.

Taya on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Caught, not just seen.

I don't think that's right. I believe you only have to see the Pokemon. I don't know for sure though.

Taya is correct.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Reigner wrote: »

Caught, not just seen.

Taya is correct.

God, I hope she is. Otherwise that's the dumbest thing ever. Why would I want to trade for something I already have?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    how soon can you start trading your old pokes to DS?

I'd guess you have to beat the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Caught, not just seen.

Taya is correct.

God, I hope she is. Otherwise that's the dumbest thing ever. Why would I want to trade for something I already have?

Nothing to 'hope' She's simply correct :P

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/wifi.shtml

Also, Zarcath
    http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/3rdgentrade.shtml

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wish they'd make an obtainable, possibly pre-evolved form of Mew. Like that weird Manaphy thing but not requiring having a Mew to get.

I lucked out - I got a Mew at the Toys R' Us event a while back (When FR/LG went Player's Choice, I think). I felt incredibly old - although I'm not. It was mainly little chinese tykes with their moms who looked angst-filled. I got some sweet Pokemon Mystery Dungeon stickers, though.

.. :oops:

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »

I lucked out - I got a Mew at the Toys R' Us event a while back (When FR/LG went Player's Choice, I think). I felt incredibly old - although I'm not. It was mainly little chinese tykes with their moms who looked angst-filled. I got some sweet Pokemon Mystery Dungeon stickers, though.

.. :oops:

We should trade.

Identities.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Wahoo!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So for the past few days I have been acting on a plan to get all of my old Poke's onto D/P and I was wondering if this will work.....

So I am taking all of my old ones from gold and blue and putting them onto Leaf Green using SP's. From there I will have a DS with D/P in it and a DS with Leaf Green in it, will I be able to take all the ones from leaf green and put them into D/P?

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So for the past few days I have been acting on a plan to get all of my old Poke's onto D/P and I was wondering if this will work.....

So I am taking all of my old ones from gold and blue and putting them onto Leaf Green using SP's. From there I will have a DS with D/P in it and a DS with Leaf Green in it, will I be able to take all the ones from leaf green and put them into D/P?

You can't trade between Red/Blue or Gold/Silver with any of the GBA games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So when you say only friends have unlimited trading, do you mean people who have their friendcodes saved, or do you mean real-life personal friends?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm venturing from the employee angst thread to talk about some pokeymans - please be gentle!

I'm working up a Gardevoir, and I've got a moveset looking like this:

Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

I'm not happy with Calm Mind, to tell the truth, but I can't think of anything better for it. I figured the Special Attack would be high enough that throwing down with a Ghost-type Shadow Ball would be okay; I've been burnt so many times in the R/B/Y days that I've come to fear and loathe the opposing psychic type.

Opinions? Comments? I'm not sure which way to go here.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    So when you say only friends have unlimited trading, do you mean people who have their friendcodes saved, or do you mean real-life personal friends?
    People that have swapped friend codes.

There is a "Global Market" that lets you punch in the specific pokemon you want and what you are willing to trade. Any person can take you up on it and the trade will go through. I believe that works even when you aren't playing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You can't trade between Red/Blue or Gold/Silver with any of the GBA games.

Oh. So all of the original games are stuck by them selves?

Poop.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    People that have swapped friend codes.

There is a "Global Market" that lets you punch in the specific pokemon you want and what you are willing to trade. Any person can take you up on it and the trade will go through. I believe that works even when you aren't playing.
    Oh good, I was about to be pissed if I had to find someone near me to trade with for something I didn't have in my Pokedex.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm venturing from the employee angst thread to talk about some pokeymans - please be gentle!

Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

I'm not happy with Calm Mind, to tell the truth, but I can't think of anything better for it. I figured the Special Attack would be high enough that throwing down with a Ghost-type Shadow Ball would be okay; I've been burnt so many times in the R/B/Y days that I've come to fear and loathe the opposing psychic type.

I'd stick maybe Hypnosis or Confuse Ray over Thunderbolt. That way, you have at least a turn to use Calm Mind while they switch out or beat themselves up. The only issue with this strategy is that Garde is not really that speedy and will easily fall prey to physical counters. Also, if you are going with a Synch trait, use Confuse Ray so Hypnosis doesn't become useless.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm probably going to stay away from the global market to keep from getting an ill-gotten 'mon.

I mean, you can look at ebay and just look at a TON of people selling 386 Emerald carts with like level 100, Shiny, everything with 999 Masterballs and all kinds of ridiculous crap.

I wonder if they have a way to keep cheated-'mons from being traded.

That'd be great.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd imagine they'd have the most obvious methods (illegal moves, stats that exceed the max base, etc.). Nonetheless, it is possible some kid got pass the security but was still dumb enough to breed some data corrupting pokemon.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

I'd stick maybe Hypnosis or Confuse Ray over Thunderbolt. That way, you have at least a turn to use Calm Mind while they switch out or beat themselves up. The only issue with this strategy is that Garde is not really that speedy and will easily fall prey to physical counters. Also, if you are going with a Synch trait, use Confuse Ray so Hypnosis doesn't become useless.

Would I have to breed for Confuse Ray? It sounds like a solid way to go, but after trying (and failing) to breed for a Modest nature, I just threw my hands up in frustration and said, "WHAT THE HELL!?!"

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Gengar family learns Confuse Ray naturally and breeds with the Gard family.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp are also options for Gard.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Cool - thanks for the help!

... just 40 some hours to do it.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Will-o-Wisp is a very good option given its low defense but pretty nice special defense.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

That set up is my Gardevoir's set up. Sent out against a special attacker, you can get in a couple of calm minds before starting to go on the offensive. If you really just hate CMing with your Gardevoir, you can always use another poke to baton pass some CMs to it.

If you do that, Will-o-Wisp is a good replacement for any move you take out. It's really the only move you can get to make it so that physical attackers don't just eat Gardevoir alive.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where did the previous thread go? I wanted to see if someone answered a question I had

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Cool - thanks for the help!

... just 40 some hours to do it.
    Gastly/Haunter/Gengar can breed with the gardevoir family? I thought gengar was only in the indeterminate egg group...

Oh right, so is the gardevoir family. Dur. I thought they were humanshape.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How difficult will this game be to understand for someone who hasn't played a pokemon game since the original Red.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not difficult.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    i gotta break out my ds tomorrow to grab my friends code, as ive never had a reason to find it out before now.

and i mentioned before but i will say again, i will be holding off on starting my own game for a while so i can hook people up with all the starters they could dream of. this is to balance out all the hojillions of pokeymans im gonna beg off other people.

edit: and if people wanna start sending me pm's with what starters they want, preferred name (if any), and friends code, i can get it all ready to go before the FINAL COUNTDOOOOOWN is over.

Houk you are a saint and if you get me the grass and fire starters, I will so totally give you a mew or celebi if you need one as soon I can access the park. I have 2 mew's and 3 celebi's I think so I can part with one of them.
    late, but you are a man among men. i dunno which of those i would pick. ideally id take whichever one is tougher to find, but eh. all things being equal, im thinking celebi.

make sure and shoot me a pm once you get friends code, along with whatever names you might want your starters to have.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are the friend codes in the manual or..?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.