Options

[GAME ON]New Pokemon Thread! - DP Out now

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    it's not like 40 hours is a fault in any way either

that qualifies as a pretty long game, the majority of games don't even get that much out of the main story

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, Twilight Princess was 40 hours.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    it's not like 40 hours is a fault in any way either

that qualifies as a pretty long game, the majority of games don't even get that much out of the main story
    I don't think anyone plays Pokemon for 40 hours. You either play it one hour and decide it's not for you or go on for over a 100 hours because you become addicted and obsessive-compulsive about "catching 'em all", tweaking your team, breeding kickass fighting machines, etc. It's really not a middle of the road kind of game, which is also what makes it so great and an essential purchase. It has more content than even most console and pc games.

Tingle on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Muffin Man, please add Keith to the friend codes list

4510 6920 0429

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The things that they actually knock off points for are fairly legit

1. structure of the story and the overall adventure hasn't changed at all in ten years

2. graphics are a pretty minor update from barely animated sprites considering the DS has more power than an n64, which had 3D pokemon even back in the day

3. ditto with the sound as well

but, whatever, none of this is really a surprise

my copy of pearl is already on its way here

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »
    I have 80 hours on Silver (and I never even got all the Kanto badges)
    170 in Ruby.
    230 in LeafGreen.
    185 in Emerald.
    And... 12 hours in Pearl.

12 hours in Pearl! Go get some sleep.
    This is between today and yesterday and I didn't work much today. I only just beat the second gym.

Don't worry. It's envy talking. But go get some sleep.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mwaahaha. My best buy didn't break the street date, but I know an employee :D and now hold a shiny copy of Diamond. I haven't played a pokemon game since the original for the GB (Red4life). I have a couple of questions:

1. Why haven't the upgraded the animations and stuff during the battles? I was expecting something a little prettier.
    2. Is it worth lvling up the pokemon you catch in the beginning, such as Bidoof, Starly, or Shinx? I have a feeling it isn't, but I'm kind of a noob at this.
    3. Bidoof is fugly.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Mwaahaha. My best buy didn't break the street date, but I know an employee :D and now hold a shiny copy of Diamond. I haven't played a pokemon game since the original for the GB (Red4life). I have a couple of questions:

1. Why haven't the upgraded the animations and stuff during the battles? I was expecting something a little prettier.
    2. Is it worth lvling up the pokemon you catch in the beginning, such as Bidoof, Starly, or Shinx? I have a feeling it isn't, but I'm kind of a noob at this.
    3. Bidoof is fugly.
    1. If you don't think they've updated the animations, go play red again. The animations are kind of nice, although nothing spectacular.

2. Absolutely. Starly and Shinx are pretty good early on. I never used Bidoof personally.

3. Yeah.

Taya on
  • Options
    Blue PenguinBlue Penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I seem to remember somene breeding the old starters a la squirtle and such, but is there anyone planning on getting a bunch of duplicates of this generation's starters to pass around the PA community? If so Id really appreciate being able to trade you somethin for at least Piplup, if not piplup and the turtle (tortera? is that it?)

Blue Penguin on
    Pokemon Pearl
    Name: Blue
    Friend Code: 1633 0657 3055
    Let me know if you add me so I may add you as well.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007

1. structure of the story and the overall adventure hasn't changed at all in ten years

2. graphics are a pretty minor update from barely animated sprites considering the DS has more power than an n64, which had 3D pokemon even back in the day

I think 8.5 is a fair score. Nobody has high expectations for non-gameplay elements of the Pokemon games, but that's no excuse for them to half-ass it on graphics and sound each generation.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I seem to remember somene breeding the old starters a la squirtle and such, but is there anyone planning on getting a bunch of duplicates of this generation's starters to pass around the PA community? If so Id really appreciate being able to trade you somethin for at least Piplup, if not piplup and the turtle (tortera? is that it?)
    No problem. Breeding is very easy to do. There will be no shortage of starters for everyone, especially the D/P starters.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I already caught a ditto for mass Squirtle production. I'd imagine G/S/C will be least common set of starters.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    it shouldn't be that difficult if you make sure you get a female version of your starter

then you can just breed more of it and exchange it with people who want yours...if I understand breeding correctly

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »

3. Bidoof is fugly.
    1. If you don't think they've updated the animations, go play red again. The animations are kind of nice, although nothing spectacular.

2. Absolutely. Starly and Shinx are pretty good early on. I never used Bidoof personally.

3. Yeah.

1. I guess what I meant was the sprites are kind of bland. It seems like they should be more colorful or lively... or even animated more than slowly moving the entire sprite up and down. The special effects are 3d so I don't see why they didn't upgrade the sprites too.

2. Cool, thanks. I assume the pokemon you pick in the beginning is also worth leveling?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    man back in the day we didn't have no fancy breeding

all we had were our link cables and our friends

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ahh, so I'm right then?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    SpruchySpruchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To people complaining or going to complain about review scores:

Who the hell cares, sales wont be shaken, your enjoyment should not be hampered in anyway, and its pokemon...for the most part we know what to expect.

Spruchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Leveling your starting pokemon is not just recommended, it's almost necessary. No pokemon at the beginning of the game will come close to being as powerful as your starter, if trends continue through DP.

I've also decided that I'll probably pick up Pearl as well as Diamond.

Alpine on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I think 8.5 is a fair score. Nobody has high expectations for non-gameplay elements of the Pokemon games, but that's no excuse for them to half-ass it on graphics and sound each generation.

I like to think 8.5 is taking into account the core gameplay is the same, unlike review sites/mags that bash it and give it a 6.5 for "not changing" then turn around and give Madden 200x a 9 for "the same classic gameplay we love".

I'm not saying they can't give Madden a good score. Just be fucking consistent.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man back in the day we didn't have no fancy breeding

all we had were our link cables and our friends

*Sigh*

I remember the good 'ol Red n Blue days.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't feel like creating a new post so i'll just ask here. To those of you that have owned a DS and a DS Lite, is going from regular to lite worth it? Ive been using my DS alot lately due to Puzzle Quest and with the impending release of diamond and pearl it looks like im going to be spending even more time on my favourite portable.

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I like to think 8.5 is taking into account the core gameplay is the same, unlike review sites/mags that bash it and give it a 6.5 for "not changing" then turn around and give Madden 200x a 9 for "the same classic gameplay we love".

I believe 8.5 basically means the core gameplay is still damn fun and never really gets old. Wi-Fi also plays into that as you get a surge of replay value. Really, points were docked because of shit that never changes (single-player, graphics and sound).

There's a potential new thread arguing what makes a sequel "good", but I personally say it depends on how good the core gameplay is. For Pokemon, it's damn solid. But, as you can, sites like IGN are slowly chipping away at its high scores due to a stubborn refusal to make leaps with the franchise.

Doesn't matter though. The series is fucking critic-proof. Just about every review starts off with "This is pretty much an exercise in futility as this game is going to sell a bajillion copies no matter what."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What sadistic son of a bitch decided to make a Wailmer egg take 10,000 steps to hatch!?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If you're playing pokemon for the story you need to get your priorities straight

I still believe most of the time between games goes to coming up with new pokemon

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If you're playing pokemon for the story you need to get your priorities straight

I still believe most of the time between games goes to coming up with new pokemon
    Throwing your hands up in the air and saying "That's how it's always going to be." isn't an excuse. I think we'll all be able to get on with our lives even if Pokemon never has a sweeping epic of a story, but it's still a weak point of the series and something worth criticizing in reviews.

Man, I'm just trying to kill time until Sunday. Starly is so going to be in my single-player team.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not saying that it's not a weakness, I'm just saying that I don't know anyone who plays pokemon for the story

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I believe 8.5 basically means the core gameplay is still damn fun and never really gets old. Wi-Fi also plays into that as you get a surge of replay value. Really, points were docked because of shit that never changes (single-player, graphics and sound).

There's a potential new thread arguing what makes a sequel "good", but I personally say it depends on how good the core gameplay is. For Pokemon, it's damn solid. But, as you can, sites like IGN are slowly chipping away at its high scores due to a stubborn refusal to make leaps with the franchise.

Doesn't matter though. The series is fucking critic-proof. Just about every review starts off with "This is pretty much an exercise in futility as this game is going to sell a bajillion copies no matter what."

I remember back when it became apparent that Game Informer was shit, (well...PAINFULLY apparent) they had a letter asking if Pokemon would ever die, with the "impending"(in game mag terms, last month) release of Gold and Silver. They replied it would never get old.

Next month, the review could be summed up as "IT'S OLD."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still get Game Informer

mostly for the articles, I rely on you guys for my reviews

it's good shitter material

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Toilet paper's more cost effective.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm looking for a Sassy Wailmer with Water Veil.

I've bred five Wailmer so far.

Every single one has had Water Veil, except for the Sassy one.

I'm going to kill somebody.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Toilet paper's more cost effective.

also more comfortable

but I enjoy GI

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Mushroom likes sassy fat girls.

MMMMHMMMM

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, it happens.
    You took 5 at once, right? It'll obviously take a ton longer if you only take one egg at a time.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, it happens.
    You took 5 at once, right? It'll obviously take a ton longer if you only take one egg at a time.

5 at once gives you a chance to be disappointed FIVE times instead of just once :D

*Glares at Cubone*

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Around PAX time, some magazines have a lot of free subscription offers. That's how I ended up with EGM anyways. When it comes to free things, Game Informer is tops just because their reviews have the potential to be so hilariously stupid. I'm convinced they don't even play the Mario Party series anymore.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm convinced they don't even play the Mario Party series anymore.

who does?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, it happens.

Of course.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    oldtypeoldtype Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm regretting ordering this online so much. I usually can't be bothered to get off campus to the mall, and I didn't think I'd want to play it THAT much.

Now, I want to play it THAT much. And the ****ing slow shipping is probably going to get to me about 5 days after release.

I'm going to die.

oldtype on
    Pokemon Friend Code: 0688 1761 6446

Feel free to add, just PM me.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm convinced they don't even play the Mario Party series anymore.
    who does?
    I buy it every few years. If I actually had a Wii, I'd buy the upcoming one.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oldtype wrote: »
    I'm regretting ordering this online so much. I usually can't be bothered to get off campus to the mall, and I didn't think I'd want to play it THAT much.

Now, I want to play it THAT much. And the ****ing slow shipping is probably going to get to me about 5 days after release.

I'm going to die.

Gamestop ships it the 22nd with 3-day shipping with a coupon code from their site.

Because you need a special offer to get bad service.

But yeah, if you got it from Gamestop.com without the shipping, considering there's probably no shipping on a Sunday, you'll get it the 30th. If 3 days is "special", I don't imagine 8(6 business days) is too far out.

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.