Options

[GAME ON]New Pokemon Thread! - DP Out now

• Options
    Blue PenguinBlue Penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From what Ive been seeing lately on several random forums (lol interwebz) it looks like a lot of walmarts are breakin street date. I might call mine when I wake up to check.

I swear this is a goddamn virus. I havnt been this excited since before g/s/c. Again, I blame you people.

Blue Penguin on
    Pokemon Pearl
    Name: Blue
    Friend Code: 1633 0657 3055
    Let me know if you add me so I may add you as well.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    I can see it happening already. One of the people that decides to supply us with the starters is going to find a shiney piplup or some shit and Im gonna wish I was a nice enough guy to care about others so I can be rewarded with shiney pokeys

Right now I don't own leaf green/fire red. And I really don't want to play through Diamond...then play through pearl...then go back and farm Ruby...THEN go buy fire red /leaf green...then play through them....

I'd much rather trade for them, considering that is a lot of time and effort just to get pokemon I probably won't ever use.

It would be awesome, however, to catch them all....

Well the good thing is that outside of the starters and legendaries, you can pretty much get all of them in D/P if you at least have the older games to put in the GBA slot (to allow the older ones to pop up in game as random encounters).

So 1 playthough of LG/FR will be able to get you all of them (or at least get you all but 2 of the starters)

and then 1 playthough of R/S/E will get you nearly all of them (short a couple of the legendaries and starters).

Apparently you can even dig up Fossils for the fossil ressurection pokemon in D/P after you get the national dex.

The only ones that will be a problem are the 2nd gen starters, and legendaries. Those you either need to play Emerald several times, or play the GC games to get.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    oldtypeoldtype Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From what Ive been seeing lately on several random forums (lol interwebz) it looks like a lot of walmarts are breakin street date. I might call mine when I wake up to check.

I swear this is a goddamn virus. I havnt been this excited since before g/s/c. Again, I blame you people.

I know, I loved RBY when I was like.. 14, but I did not care about G/S/C and literally did not know that R/S/E even existed.

But for some reason I HAVE to play Diamond and Pearl. Must be the Wifi connectivity. Or maybe I'm just regressing to a nerdy pre-teen again.

oldtype on
    Pokemon Friend Code: 0688 1761 6446

Feel free to add, just PM me.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How do you get one of those stands, and what is that stand for?

Pre-Order copy of both games from EBGames online. That's how I'm, supposedly, getting mine.

It's their peace offering for getting the game to you a day or two after the release date.

Personally, I'd rather have the damn game.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well the good thing is that outside of the starters and legendaries, you can pretty much get all of them in D/P if you at least have the older games to put in the GBA slot (to allow the older ones to pop up in game as random encounters).

You know what I didn't know?

THAT!

That's freaking awesome.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still don't understand why one person would want what's essentially two copies of the same game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still don't understand why one person would want what's essentially two copies of the same game.

Giving your younger siblings a copy and exploiting them is pwn.

oldtype on

• Options
    edited April 2007

"essentially two copies of the same game" is a misunderstanding. See that "essentially"? That fails to communicate "you get different pokemon in different versions.

And, for the record, i'm going to end up with two copies of diamond and a copy of pearl.

So i'm getting two copies of the same game. FTW!

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How do you get one of those stands, and what is that stand for?

You can also get it from preordering both games at any of the GS/EB stores.

The stand has 2 holes in it sized to fit the 2 Styluses for the preorder.

_J_ wrote: »

You know what I didn't know?

THAT!

That's freaking awesome.

I think someone posted these earlier in the thread, but here they are again:

Unobtainable in D/P without Trading

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/unobtainables.shtml

Found in Wild by having the GBA games (R/S/E/FR/LG) in the GBA slot of the DS

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/gbapokemon.shtml

All the rest should be able to be found through various methods in D/P after attaining the National Dex.

edit: merging my two posts. Hate double posting

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    woots.

Can berries be transferred over and planted in Diamond/Pearl?

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Because if Nintendo put out a Pokemon dildo, I'd go gay.

I'm already halfway there but that's beside the point.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, so that copy of Leaf Green that I bought but never got into perhaps will be of use after all.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, so that copy of Leaf Green that I bought but never got into perhaps will be of use after all.

Perhaps....

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    the only ones i dont own are ruby and leaf green (at least from the current games. I dont own any of the older ones).

Hell I even bought Ranger just to get that damned Egg for Manaphy. That sucker is getting traded as soon as I get the egg from it. (I hear each cart for Ranger will only produce 1 egg too... that will be one pissed off kid who get the used one to get an egg. heheh)

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, that breeding paid off okay. The Wailmer I finally got has a 30 DEF IV.

Anyway, I need some advice with his EV building. His nature raises Sp. DEF and lowers Speed, and this is his planned moveset:

Curse
    Avalanche
    Waterfall
    Substitute

Should I bother putting any EVs into Attack? Or should I just focus on his strengths? Should I pump HP and Def, since Sp. Def gets a Nature bonus, or just pump both defenses?

EDIT: Also, EVs and held items and such transfer over too, right? Not just level and attacks.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the biggest thing that disappoints me is theres pretty much no reasonable way for me to get and own a legit deoxys any time soon, if ever. that thing is fucking sweet.

i also really want the regi line for my own...goddamn.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Goddamn, you people can put down some Pokemon chat.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are Stark Mountain or route 227 near the beginning of the game? I want my Magby ASAP.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm going to faint your magby.

What now?

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    NO YOU ARE NOT

bruin on
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i havent played a pokemon game since red really so forgive me for asking a dumb question.

anyway i have diamond and i traded a machop for a abra in the town where there is the first gym...ive been leveling the sucker and i was just wondering when is it that abra will actually have a move that can do something besides just teleport. traded pokemon do eventually learn moves right... the abra is now level 13 (from 7) and still nothing but teleport. i feel like im doing something wrong.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ufo wrote: »
    i havent played a pokemon game since red really so forgive me for asking a dumb question.

anyway i have diamond and i traded a machop for a abra in the town where there is the first gym...ive been leveling the sucker and i was just wondering when is it that abra will actually have a move that can do something besides just teleport. traded pokemon do eventually learn moves right... the abra is now level 13 (from 7) and still nothing but teleport. i feel like im doing something wrong.

Once it's 16 it'll evolve and learn good moves.

bruin on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Goddamn, you people can put down some Pokemon chat.

Yeah, seriously.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    thank you i thought maybe it was a mean trick or there was some new element in making him nifty again.

ufo on
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Some pokemon don't learn new moves until they evolve or get to the level at which they would evolve. The idea behind this is that the effort to level the pokemon is more strenuous but pays off more in th end. In your case, Abra can eventually become Alakazam, a very strong pokemon. I believe at level 16 you abra will evolve into kaabra and learn some new moves.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    WTF the main quest is 40 hours long? That is my least favorite part of the game.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Pokemon needs a difficulty setting. The only difficulty part is if they have really high levels and their insane luck with everything. I fought Blaine today. His Rapidash does bounce. Paralyzes. Next attack crits and kills my dugtrio. I revive/potion. Bounce. Paralyzes a second time.

That's not an isolated event. Poison goes off on every move. Basically, if a move has an effect, it's chance to happen is the reverse of its normal value for the cpu. Poison Sting? Fucking 90% chance to poison.

Otherwise, the AI is retarded. So very retarded.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Pokemon needs a difficulty setting. The only difficulty part is if they have really high levels and their insane luck with everything. I fought Blaine today. His Rapidash does bounce. Paralyzes. Next attack crits and kills my dugtrio. I revive/potion. Bounce. Paralyzes a second time.

That's not an isolated event. Poison goes off on every move. Basically, if a move has an effect, it's chance to happen is the reverse of its normal value for the cpu. Poison Sting? Fucking 90% chance to poison.

The Battle Frontier (for the most part) would like to have a word with you.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »

WANT YOUR GAME TO BE HARDER!?

PLEASE PAY ANOTHER FORTY BUCKS.

Yeah, fuck that. Though I realize that will be in D/P, the whole Emerald/Crystal/Yellow deal always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, fuck that. Though I realize that will be in D/P, the whole Emerald/Crystal/Yellow deal always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I really hope they did some work on the utter retardation of the AI though.

Don't AI trainers pretty much pick out moves at random, even if they are moves that will do nothing to your Pokemon?

oldtype on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Since I have to complete this Shinou dex before I can transer pokemon I might actually play through the quest like normal people.

I think I will really shitty pokemon that way the game is somewhat challenging.

Edit: On second thought, no, fuck that. I will speed through like usual. I really, really want to get to the point where I can start making teams.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oldtype wrote: »

Don't AI trainers pretty much pick out moves at random, even if they are moves that will do nothing to your Pokemon?
    I've had trainers use Recover as their first move, before they even take damage. I also had a Skarmory try to poison a substitute like 4 times in a row. So, yes, most of the cannon fodder trainers do seem to attack randomly.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oldtype wrote: »

They used to. The GBA games fixed that a little bit, though (at least with gym leaders and important people). They'd (usually) pick the best attack available. If you're immune to an attack, they won't use it at all if something else has PP, and they'll pick super effective attacks over normal, and avoid ineffective attacks. A few trainers will even switch out if their current pokemon can't do anything to you.

They've never fixed the oddity where a pokemon will waste it's entire existence calm mind or dragon dancing itself to hell and back and never deal the killing blow.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've had Pokemon in FireRed use fire attacks against my fire types. Granted, Fire Spin does have a tactical function, but it's still pretty silly.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I would like them to add a super fucking hard difficulty setting. I would like to see what Game Freak could come up with without resorting giving things insane luck with OHKO, DT, and other shit.

I don't think many people would like playing Pokemon on a difficulty setting on par with, say, Netbattle.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't think many people would like playing Pokemon on a difficulty setting on par with, say, Netbattle.
    The kind of prediction and anticipation involved with human battling would require a ridiculous amount of time for them to put in. I'm not asking for the Deep Blue of Pokemon, just something that seems like it's trying to win and not just picking moves practically at random.

I also hate how type-oriented things are. It's understandable that random fights outdoors will have AI using one type, but Gym Leaders and the evil "Team"? C'mon, we figured out type counters back in Red and Blue.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I felt Team Magma and Aqua used a varied amount of pokemon types. Admittedly they were always the same differnt pokemon types, but still they tried.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, Rocket tended to use a lot of poison and ground/rock types. Not sure what the hell Galactic will use.

Has it been confirmed yet if the Event Pokemon bug made it in the English games?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, Rocket tended to use a lot of poison and ground/rock types. Not sure what the hell Galactic will use.

Has it been confirmed yet if the Event Pokemon bug made it in the English games?

Zubat. Rattata. Poochenya.

Evil people have a hard on for Zubat, Rattata and Poochenya.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Either that or they love walking through caves and tall grass in beginning areas.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.