As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Duelyst] pretty much Hearthstone tactics

• JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    Let's get some deck sharing!

I have been hitting the ladder almost exclusively with a Magmar Tempo/Heal deck and it's done me great so far.
    Here's what it looks like right now, although I've swapped the 2×Earth Sphere's for 2×Plasma Storm for some extra help against Abyssian/Vanar filling the board
    9nj8k5zwpde4.png

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I'll check that one out, thanks @Blue map

@jaunty did you use duelystdb for that?

did you use duelystdb for that?

Yeah, seems like a great site. Used the Community Deck Link to get the cost in Spirit

qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited November 2015
    How have the warlocks been? I would not have initially included them in a magmar list but they seem to make sense. Has the self inflicted damage been too much at any point? I guess earth sphere goes a long way.

One aside, it is annoying that so many things now put <name> x # as a format instead of # x <name>. It is dumb but always throws me off.

WingedWeasel on
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    So peripheral stuff for this game seems pretty meager (streams/podcasts etc.) Anyone have any to recommend?

I catch a guy called "thatsnotmypirate"

he plays some fun deck concepts

@WingedWeasel honestly the warlocks have been pretty clutch on a number of occasions. The damage comes in handy since a lot of my games are focused on making sure they have no monsters on the field at the start of their next turn whenever possible, and Warlock's 3/1 stat demands immediate attention since he becomes a real nuisance if they let me stack Greater Fort and/or Diretide Frenzy on him. Also works great as a way to get rid of artifacts.

qcklw92m98s0.png
    The artifact removal is a good point. I usually like to run the 2cc 2/1 that pings for 1 for a similar reason, it also can function as spot removal. But that is sort of a hold over from when the abyssian deathwath deck was much stronger.

edited November 2015
    didn't know this, but apparently this game has hidden quests ala hearthstone. just got the guy that gives your golems provoke from one.

WingedWeasel on
    welp on a 2-2-1 gauntlet run instead of a 4-0-1 because i accidentally hit end turn twice and then also targeted the wrong thing with the songhai 2cc deal 3 spell (opponent was at 6 and i had 2 in hand). gotta find a mouse because the trackpad/touchscreen on my tablet is clearly frustrating to use.

is there any way to show stats/abilities of something without hovering? as in select it then press a hotkey somewhere? if there is i haven't found it.

@WingedWeasel not that I know of, unfortunately
    also yeah, hidden quests: here's the ones we know of so far:

1 - Helping Hand / Lose 3 games. / 100 Gold
    2 - Welcome to the craft / Disenchanted cards. / 90 Spirit
    3 - Welcome to Silver Division / Reach silver tier in ranked (Or any higher new tier) / 1 Spirit Orb
    4 - Collector Supreme / Own 1 of each common card / 1 Random rare and 1 random epic cards.
    5 - Bloodborn / Unlock all basic cards for any 1 faction / 1 Spirit Orb
    6 - Entering the Gauntlet / Play 20 ranked games / Gauntlet Ticket
    7 - Best of Friends / Playing with a friend once. / 1 Spirit Orb
    8 - Epic Questor / Complete any 5 quests / 1 Random neutral epic rare card.
    9 - Art of War / (unknown) / 100 gold
    10 - Indomitable Spirit / Perform a lot of quests / 300 Gold
    11 - Legendary Questor / Complete 10-15 Quests / 1 Random Neutral legendary rare card.
    12 - ?? Namaste ?? (Armory based) / Apparently you have to purchase from armory. / Exclusive Snow Chaser emote.

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Tried it out.

Punked some people with Vanar, since my first pack landed a couple Vanar class cards, including an epic.

I'm not very good at this game, including once summoning three minions on the same row while an enemy Blast creature was on the board...

Still won that one though, thanks to Draugr Overlord or whatever his name is.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    i never finished that gauntlet run on saturday. wonder whether it will save or it gets wiped (since things are still being tested). i felt the deck was really strong but had those uh...technical difficulties.

after playing for a couple of weeks I can see that this game has devolved in the same "strategy" as a lot of deckbuilding games....most damage comes out of hand, any minion that has to wait a turn to act is a liability, anything with a "fun" ability isn't practical because silence or other removal is so ubiquitous

as poorly implemented as the game was mtg tactics was a much deeper game

after playing for a couple of weeks I can see that this game has devolved in the same "strategy" as a lot of deckbuilding games....most damage comes out of hand, any minion that has to wait a turn to act is a liability, anything with a "fun" ability isn't practical because silence or other removal is so ubiquitous

I assume by deckbuilding you mean games that you build a deck prior to playing (as opposed to something that you build the deck during ala star realms or ascension). If so then yes there are going to be limiting factors on what is going to be competitively viable and (un)fortunately they don't really facilitate certain playstyles at the competitive level. However from the alpha duelyst has gotten a lot of balance tweaks so it is not as though the future is set in stone.

That bring said I also have noticed the "finisher" often being an out of hand "unpreventable" scenario in a lot of cases, unfortunately closing out games from 17+ life. It isn't necessarily bad, but does produce feel bad moments. It is a tough line to walk in a turn based game where you can't really interact on your opponent's turn (outside of a few effects). I disagree though with silence effects. I disagreed with kibler in HS regarding BGH and silence there as well. I think the game is fine with it existing, and that the addition of the other stuff (silencable targets that are "fun") while fine isn't imperative.

I think that duelyst can do some interesting things and I wouldn't write it off yet.

Also is the mtg game the one produced by Sony? If so I played it a bit maybe a month before they deactivated it. It was fun and would've liked to have seen it continue.

I assume by deckbuilding you mean games that you build a deck prior to playing (as opposed to something that you build the deck during ala star realms or ascension). If so then yes there are going to be limiting factors on what is going to be competitively viable and (un)fortunately they don't really facilitate certain playstyles at the competitive level. However from the alpha duelyst has gotten a lot of balance tweaks so it is not as though the future is set in stone.

That bring said I also have noticed the "finisher" often being an out of hand "unpreventable" scenario in a lot of cases, unfortunately closing out games from 17+ life. It isn't necessarily bad, but does produce feel bad moments. It is a tough line to walk in a turn based game where you can't really interact on your opponent's turn (outside of a few effects). I disagree though with silence effects. I disagreed with kibler in HS regarding BGH and silence there as well. I think the game is fine with it existing, and that the addition of the other stuff (silencable targets that are "fun") while fine isn't imperative.

I think that duelyst can do some interesting things and I wouldn't write it off yet.

Also is the mtg game the one produced by Sony? If so I played it a bit maybe a month before they deactivated it. It was fun and would've liked to have seen it continue.

Yeah MTG tactics was produced by Sony back when they were one of the first really strong f2p online presence. It worked a lot like duelyst but with a MTG flavor. You could make decks out of all 5 colors and each turn you would add mana randomly chosen from a pool proportional to the colors represented in your deck (no land cards). So if you had a red and black deck on turn one you could pull either red or black mana. Then on turn 2 you would have the color you pulled on turn 1 and an additional randomly chosen mana.

You started with 5? cards and the person who went first didnt draw. Tactically one major difference is that the the maps were relatively huge, something like 40x40 grid and movement rates were "average" 3 steps for player avatars to fast 6 or 7? steps. So kiting was a real possibility. The timer was a chess clock of 20 minutes a side and often matches went to time. Another major mechanical difference is each unit exerted a "zone of control" of 1 square around it where enemy movement would end when they touched. This meant every unit could effectively block off the enemy so it was much more difficult to ignore enemy units and go face. Also different from duelyist is the avatars had 5 attack when a 1/1 unit had 10 health so you couldn't effectively use your face as removal without buffing. Also each unit only counterattacked once, so you could absorb counterattacks with face or chumps to protect glass cannon type units. There was also extra damage from flanking which added a lot of positioning depth.

However the interface was hideous, the application was poorly optimized, and the development was very poorly supported.

Overall duelyst is a much more elegant system and an analog for how Hearthstone streamlined card gameplay compared to a direct translation of MTG like Hex. The duelyst innovation of cycling one card for free a turn is great for preventing dead draws but at the same time the effective 3 cards a turn means you can't make tactical decisions based on what the opponent didn't have the previous turn.

Still I had a ton of fun in that game.

i do think maps should be a bit larger, and maybe more overall health. things were worse earlier, for example the magmar claws used to be +6 instead of +4. they have generally toned power levels down over time. i think given the size of the decks and how the format evolves you can anticipate certain things. although as you mentioned the double draw and cycle means combo stuff is going to be very consistent. i feel like the game is leaning towards the old VS system (as opposed to the remake). as in you need to make sure you hit certain things or fall behind considerably

i do wish that magic game still was around.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    hsdogdog aka dog, hearthstone player, is streaming duelyst right now for anyone who likes that sort of thing. should end up in the latter portion of this vod

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    finally hit rank 10 (and my first magmar ribbon at the same time)

holy crap that was painful, cant imagine the next 5 ranks will be any better

• Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular

What type of list are you running? I found that Magmar ladders pretty well, even if you don't have all the cards you'd really want.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    Blue map wrote: »

What type of list are you running? I found that Magmar ladders pretty well, even if you don't have all the cards you'd really want.

I'm handicapping myself but not crafting anything except legends, and not crafting multiples of legends I already have. To date I only crafted Zenrui who is a lot of fun.

So in my magmar I don't have any young silithars, in my lyonar I don't have the lions, in my vetruvian I only have 1 orb weaver, in songhai I don't have heartseekers or vipers, and in vanar I don't have glacial elementals or stun walls.

But still doing OK.

i finally got 8 wins in gauntlet and im SO DAMN HAPPY

• StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I made it up to Rank 5 with this deck, which is only just over 2k spirit assuming you have none of the cards, and then kind of stalled out. I seem to auto-lose to pretty much any songhai deck, and the other decks I'm facing at this point are making it a struggle.

StuffGuy on
    did we ever learn if gauntlet runs stay between days?

I'm about to start one, haven't played in a few weeks.

edited November 2015
    Variable wrote: »
    did we ever learn if gauntlet runs stay between days?

I'm about to start one, haven't played in a few weeks.

i can test it right now since i never completed the one from weeks ago.

edit: it does save the deck and record

edit 2: i think the 3 cost lionar thing that gives +attack equal to the target's health is really silly. it is virtually impossible to clear all a lionar player's creatures on any given turn and dropping that on it to make a 10+ attack critter out of the blue can often just end the game on the spot for very little investment.

WingedWeasel on
    Streamed about 8 hours of gauntlet on saturday and got 7, 2, 4 and 6 failing infinite pretty badly.

But I'm definitely getting the feel for drafting more.

Streamed about 8 hours of gauntlet on saturday and got 7, 2, 4 and 6 failing infinite pretty badly.

the 3 drop that grows each time your opponent plays a guy is a real pain. also the 5 drop that gets +1/+1for each card in their hand seems to show up a lot. the rewards also seem to be kinda meager?

the 3 drop that grows each time your opponent plays a guy is a real pain. also the 5 drop that gets +1/+1for each card in their hand seems to show up a lot. the rewards also seem to be kinda meager?

rewards are only meager if you dont take into account a free gauntlet ticket at 7 wins, thats 150 gold straight up in addition to the other rewards

otherwise they seem reasonable compared to buying packs, assuming the exchange rate matches hearthstone's roughly 1 spirit/dust for 1 gold

going 0-2 wins you do lose a bit

I think my very worst reward was 20? spirit for 0 wins, again not a major loss

maybe I'll start a spreadsheet to track rewards so we can figure it out better

The comparison to hearthstone gets a little weird when talking about spirit vs dust. You need extra cards (3vs2), there isn't the singleton legendary rule, and deck sizes are bigger.

I don't really have a great sample size either. I would be surprised if tracking in some form doesn't already exist.

The comparison to hearthstone gets a little weird when talking about spirit vs dust. You need extra cards (3vs2), there isn't the singleton legendary rule, and deck sizes are bigger.

I don't really have a great sample size either. I would be surprised if tracking in some form doesn't already exist.

I think the duelyst cards are cheaper in dust, like legends cost 900? to craft compared to hearthstones 1600 but yeah the comparisons would be interesting to figure out

The new legend Khymera is garbage. But its fun, good looking garbage. Other than the problem all big minions without gambit/dying wish have (remove for cheaper than to cast), there are so many trash tokens and only a couple of good ones. It says token minions so I assume it means only tokens that have the "minion" keyword and not vespyr or whatever.

For its cost the effect really should be buffed to "summon a random minion" so you can at least commit to rnjesus when you play it.

I'll keep playing it because comboing it with flash reincarnation is too cute. Also has a combo in lyonar with tempest.

edited December 2015
    Khymera annoys me more on the design end than the playability end. Not a fan of the random effects. They want it to be paired with global damage effects I guess, but there aren't many I am aware of and multiple uses would likely wipe the generated tokens anyway.

Edit: apparently there are ladder rank rewards? I saw some posts indicating that but I haven't yet logged in today.

Edit 2: yup, patch announcement confirms it. Very interesting. Gives me a reason to care about the ladder

WingedWeasel on
    To maximize my collection I'm not going to disenchant anything I don't have 3 of. And I'm not going to craft anything except for legends I don't have any of. This will prevent me from running full tryhard netdecks for a while but I'm happy if I can break rank 10 to get a copy of that season's legend.

I'm much more interested in gauntlet, just like in hearthstone I only play arena.

woot just scored my first 12 win gauntlet

rewards were gauntlet ticket, 90 gold, 165 spirit, epic (aspect of drake) and rare (fireblaze obelysk)

used mighty magmar, of course

standout cards in the deck were 1 warbeast and 1 jaxx, I also had 1 silithar elder but that never has any effect on games, it could have been any big card for how often it did anything, jaxx however did significant work

what is weird is I ended up with golem ramp synergy with 2 golem warpers, 2 of the 3 cost bloodshard golems, 1 hailstone, and 1 brightmoss golem and I got the ramp effect a LOT

ended up with either 2 or 3 natural selections which were clutch in a couple of games

had 2 nagas which are completely spectacular cards and i consider autopicks at this point

also had 1 earth sphere which only affected one game, not sure its worth drafting in arena compared to the minion based heals

I've seen more hearthstone streamers messing around with this game which makes me happy.

I still haven't played much in a few weeks.

I've seen more hearthstone streamers messing around with this game which makes me happy.

i havent much lately either, but that is because most of my card game time is on my tablet. which isn't stellar for hearthstone, but at least the touchscreen works there. both solforge and duelyst really force me to use the stylus which means i need to find the thing :L

I'm trying to stream my gauntlet runs but its hard to schedule streaming time around family stuff, doubly so to stream for enough hours to make it a "serious" thing

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I started up an account in this game and I'm having fun so far. Same username as I am here if anyone wants to add me.

nice!

and kibler (of magic and hearthstone) is streaming this now. very pleased to see.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    nice!

and kibler (of magic and hearthstone) is streaming this now. very pleased to see.

Yup. I've seen it a few times but that's what got me to try it.

I finally broke down and crafted 2 Jaxi's because they are too good

Trying a vanar aggro deck, so far its performing way better than a vanar value deck