Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Yo mama so [chat], her [brainstorm] ain't even in the same canon!

KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new chat... and I'm feelin' gooooooooooddd...

What's the haps, writer nation?

VanityPantsAmaliatapeslingerbigrickcookCheeseliker

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Clowns to the left of me... @KCWise to the right... Here I am, stuck in the middle with you guys!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Home from the workshop
    Melancholic but optimistic
    Also, I have a ream of paper's worth of copies of my manuscript to go through >.<

QuothKCWiseAmalia
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    imma finish this novel by November if it kills me

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm going to finish mine during November if it kills you, too!

It was zipping along pretty well, and then I got to large chunks that kind of comprise the thematic linchpin of the whole thing and needed serious reworking, so I'm going considerably slower.

Still feeling good though, so...

In other news, Maddie was stuck on a story she's working on, because she had two people read it, and one loved it and the other didn't care for it. So she doesn't know what to do with it, and considered just scrapping it and starting a new one.

I told her she's now officially a writer.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    KCWisetapeslingerMagellQuothMKRbigrickcookAmaliagavindel
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Chat lives, chat dies, chat lives again!

Chat was born, chat has risen, chat will come again.

QuothAmalia
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Stab, stab, stabbity stab.

• gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    I decided to open this new chat with some dirty limericks. Then I spent 30 minutes writing and deleting dirty limericks in chat attempting to find a good balance of vulgar and "not getting banned". Finally, I scraped the entire post idea as stupid from the start.

It truly is the writing thread. All hail!

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

VanityPantsKCWiseQuothDoctorJestCalica
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    Stab, stab, stabbity stab.

To the tune of Aladdin's "One Jump Ahead".

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    AmaliaElJeffeCalica
  • tidbittidbit Empress Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's been raining here
    Washing away Summer Feet
    Crisp, refreshing rain

howtoleavehome.com
    Quoth
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I'm still not dead. Still writing, actually, just writing other things. Currently writing a short story that I cannot find the end for. It has an actual theme and everything, which usually helps, but it still doesn't want to give me a good ending -- just a whole heap of really crappy ones that I'm having to pass on. I need a good ending, damnit...

What happens in the beginning? What promise does the beginning make to the readers that has to be fulfilled by the end, one way or another? What questions must be answered and which are better left ambiguous?

tapeslingerDoctorJest
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I think I do know some of this, actually, now that I look at it -- I've asked these questions a few times, and I think the problem I may be having is at least partially getting to the end, as much as knowing what it's meant to be. So I'm just going to skip whatever's left, write the end, and then figure out how my story is supposed to end up there. It might solidify a few things in my head and help me pull everything together...I hope so, anyway.

tapeslinger
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I'm not dead either. I'm just trying to work, complete grad school and plan a wedding, so writing is difficult.

I feel like I might be dead.

I'm training for a triathlon, so writing is also being difficult. But I'm finding the balance! Slowly but surely.

Even though I really want to just lay in bed and play video games or maybe sleep. Definitely sleep.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, @Cheeseliker ! And grad school is no joke, either. Eesh. I'm sure you're getting plenty of writing done for school, at least!

And belated congrats on @Tapeslinger for making it through the VP gauntlet! Which is Viable Paradise and not the gauntlet that I put everyone in the IRC through--no one makes it through that gauntlet. Anyway: Awww yeah, way to go!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    NaNo approaches and I'm trying to decide which story hook to go with.
    No More Gods: A teenage boy wakes up in a fantasy world where the throne of God is empty, the afterlife doesn't exist, and the souls of the world's inhabitants vanish when they die. When he goes to sleep that night, he wakes up in the celestial throne room, where his exact doppelganger guards a broken throne and claims to have killed everyone who tried sitting in it, including the original owner. As the story progresses, the teenager starts to piece together the history of the world, the consequences of the empty throne, and the wheel of time that had frozen long ago begins to move again towards a finale that had only been delayed, not stopped.

Take Back THE END: A young woman wakes up with no memory of the last 24 hours in the middle of a shattered Earth. She is approached by someone who calls themselves the guardian of time and is then informed that not only is she the one who destroyed the world, but she did it in such a way that time itself had ended. Furthermore, as the one perpetrated this disaster she is the only one capable of undoing it. Now she must walk backwards through time, traversing the events of the cataclysm and all the ones leading up to it. On this journey she will discover her latent power, the truth of that final day, and the reason she chose to end everything.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Those who do not learn from their brainstorms are doomed to die beneath the wheel of chat.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Hey guys!
    Today I am the r/fantasy writer of the day, if anyone is over there doing the reddit thing! It's my only big promo for Blood of the Queen's release, besides showing up at WFC (who chose NOT to put me on a panel D:)

Anyway, if you want to stop by, I'd love to see your friendly face--er, handles?

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    KCWisetapeslingerbigrickcookVanityPantsWankMagell
    edited October 2015
    Grats @Amalia ! But I never go to reddit.

Also: While I probably won't do anything for NaNo, I hope to get my head above water medically speaking enough to partake in the forum more by December : x

Munkus Beaver on
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Amalia
    Gonna start popping back into the IRC now that my schedule's settled down into a regular routine again.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Amalia
    Way to go, @Amalia ! Looks like you've got some good questions popping up already!

My fingers are crossed for you, @Munkus Beaver! I hope your body gives you a break.

Speaking of being more active on the forums, I'm (finally) going to get the Genre of the Month thread up in the Well sometime in the next day or two in prep for November. I know most people will be slammed with NaNo, but hopefully the month timeline will leave you guys some time to poke your heads in and write a thing!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    VeeP maybe we should wait until January to start that up? Because NaNo and then Holidays? I know for me this is the busiest time of the year even WITHOUT NaNo in the mix.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

tapeslingerbigrickcookMadican
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Agreed w/ @Amalia

Already gonna be slammed for the holidays.

bigrickcook on
    http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    tapeslinger
    Wait how'd I miss Amalia's post? Congrats!

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Madican wrote: »
    Wait how'd I miss Amalia's post? Congrats!

ha!! thanks :)

• WankWank Registered User regular
    Okay guys, I'm done the first draft of my novel and now I need readers for 87k of dark YA, or maybe just Adult with young characters.

Post alien invasion, a boy named Bo with a mysterious Parasite injected into him manages to escape captivity, leaving his sister behind. He meets the Lost Boys, a group of escaped children led by the charismatic Wyatt and his cynical lieutenant Violet, both of whom realize Bo's Parasite is uniquely powerful and might help them turn the tide against the invaders. Bo can't entirely trust his new friends, but he will do whatever it takes to rescue his sister. Creepy aliens, nanobot allies, gritty settings and big action set pieces. Kind of a Half-Life 2 / Shade's Children mash-up with some ASOUE thrown in.

Any takers? PM me. Thanks!

VanityPants
    Thanks for the heads up, Quoth! Very cool.

And, not to piggyback too hard on Wank's request, but I'm hoping to gear up for some upcoming open submission periods and am hoping I might find a few good readers, too.

Title: The Folly of Kings
    Genre: Fantasy
    Wordcount: Around 80,000 words

Pitch/query:
    Once, Altair believed the old stories: heroes who walked in the light, who followed a path of justice. But a story is just a story, and a man is something else entirely…

Even a good man can do horrible things.

Every day the barbarians encroach further north, dragging civilization back into the dark. When Altair wakes after a head injury with the ability to hear the gods, he knows the truth: the barbarians can be beaten—if he’s willing to give himself over to the gods' will. He will kill kings and claim land—he will build a new world in the ruins of the old.

But his people think him mad. His father fears he’s cursed.

Exiled from his own kingdom and branded a madman, Altair will go south into the heart of enemy territory and take the stronghold of Dubloch, whose walls have never been breached. And he'll do it with just six companions.

To build an empire, a prince will become a warlord.

To save a kingdom, a good man may become a monster.

If you're interested, let me know!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    How much have you changed it from last time you sent Folly to me? I just reread it, and love it, so if there's substantial changes I'm willing to read it again.

If not I'll stand by my opinion of that fact that you got an agent who couldn't sell that book is a dumb.

Haha! Did you really reread it?! Thank you!

I think things are largely the same since then. I'm sure I've gone through and changed some wording around and some small edits, but I just glanced over what I sent you and I don't think there seem to be any substantial plot changes since then.

Re: Agents/Editors:
    I hope that's true! I've had two or so agents tell me that they really liked it, but they thought it was too small scale to sell in the Game of Thrones-based market, since it's largely just focused on Altair.

I had an offer from a small press for it, but didn't want to feel like I was "settling" and another indie press liked it but thought it was torn between being a very character-driven piece and an epic fantasy and wanted me to go back and make it one or the other.

So I've really just been unsure of if it holds its own and just needs to (hopefully, one day) find a place in the market, or if it really doesn't have a place and I need to make changes to lean it one way or the other.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    edited October 2015
    Why can YA have a plethora of character-driven AND epic fantasy mix novels but the adult market can't? (Or do I just have no understanding of what Epic means?)

ETA:
    I wonder if this is part of the problem for HONOR AMONG ORCS, actually. hm.

Amalia on

edited October 2015
    I wish I knew!

I'm guessing it's just something different in the (perceived) readership. I'm honestly not convinced that there's not a place for books like this, but I'm biased since they're the kind of things I'm writing, so I figured it's worth checking in with more readers and see what they think after reading it.

What I've gathered from the whole thing is that a lot of agents repping fantasy are, right now, really hunting for the next Game of Thrones, still. They're wanting something political, with a lot of POVs and broader focus since those are the easiest sales right now.

Edit: All of THAT said, there are certainly people being published doing different things and agents/editors out there picking up what they think is exceptional regardless of where the easy sells are right now.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Amalia
    I came home from work yesterday and was informed that my daughter has outstripped her school's ability to continue teaching her math, so now I get to be her math teacher.

I think I doomed myself when I went in for a parent-teacher conference and somehow wound up explaining to the teacher how to calculate your distance to the horizon given your current elevation and then we geeked out over geometry for like ten minutes.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    tapeslingerAmaliachiasaur11bigrickcookKCWiseQuothDoctorJest
    Oh yeah? Today my kid spelled "cheese" by himself!
    He spelled it "ches."

AmaliabigrickcookKCWisetapeslinger
  • gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    Ah, November, most sadistic month of the year. Herein, I sip my soda and devour the pain of NaNo participants.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm hyped for NaNo this year, I'm parked in the IRC for the first time in forever. Trying to decide whether I want to do normal sprints, or split my daily goal up by 16 and whittle away every hour I'm awake.

Need a writer for B2B blog content or other copy? Hire me here.
    I'll drop into the IRC later this evening to get started.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Quoth wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Today my kid spelled "cheese" by himself!
    He spelled it "ches."

Your child is just being efficient, having realized that "cheese" is the most important thing that can possibly be referenced by those letters.

I make tweet.
    tapeslinger
    edited November 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I came home from work yesterday and was informed that my daughter has outstripped her school's ability to continue teaching her math, so now I get to be her math teacher.

I am extremely jealous. Just stupidly jealous.

Munkus Beaver on
    ElJeffe