Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Yo mama so [chat], her [brainstorm] ain't even in the same canon!

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested/willing to honestly review before/by October 3rd on goodreads/Amazon, I've got e-ARCS (uncorrected proofs) of TAMER OF HORSES that I'd be happy to send along. You don't have to have read HELEN OF SPARTA to read this one -- and it is all Beast's fault because he asked for a Pirithous book.

anyway. just putting out there!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm actually going to give NaNo a serious attempt this year, so I might be poking around these parts more often. Hi!

Been trying to get all the worldbuilding out of the way before November, and my god do I suck at coming up with cool names for things. Wish I could just use some Latin, because Latin names are always badass, but that'll make my post-apocalyptic notRoman Empire way too on the nose.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    My current thing is trying to teach myself patience.

I'm not good at it -- I have a tendency to both start on and send out too many of my stories prematurely, partly because I'm eager to get it out the door, and partly because I'm eager to move onto whatever my next idea has been. But I think it yields stories that aren't as good as they could or should be, on the whole. My current kick is just trying to get one novel draft slowly completed, and letting my other ideas rest while I work on it. It's a bit frustrating, because I've grown used to being able to start on an idea, complete it, and then move onto something new far more often than this -- but I think I need this, for everything I work on.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I have developed a process for starting a scene that seems to work more reliably than the "stare at the blank page for an hour, scream, and mess around on Reddit for the rest of the day" method.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Soooooooo

Long time?

Long time.

Trying to write that novel burnt me right out. Like, for a while I thought I'd gotten writing out of my system, so to speak, because I lost all desire to write anything at all.

But it seems that's not the case, and I'm back for nano this year. I've had a setting in my head for some time, but no story to put there and I think I've got a story now. Might be derivative, but that's okay, because I think the setting is p cool.

So we'll see what happens this November. :)

Tube wrote: »
    No, I hate D&D more than the other subforums because it's more of a pain in my arse.
    tapeslingerrRootagea
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    So I kind of put quite a few creative endeavors to bed back when my kid was born last March. It's been a while, and I think a large part of my delay in returning to things is wondering where to begin. I've got a lot of projects I jump around from, most dealing with writing. The novel I started with last year's Nano has about 35k words to it, so I want to finish that. This Pulp Adventure Podcast series needs at least 6 episodes before I try pushing it. Got my short stories that I'm looking to publish/shop around, and the biggest thing I've got going now is writing up these Adventure blocks for a tabletop game I'm designing.

Last night was the first night getting back into things, I decided the best way to get started was to give luck a chance. I assigned each of my endeavors a number

1 NOVEL
    2 PODCAST
    3 POWER OUTAGE
    4 POWER OUTAGE
    5 CHILDREN’S BOOK
    6 WEBSITE
    7 PUBLISHER HUNT
    8 SOMETHING NEW

(weighed the game heavier due to it's potential to be more immediately successful) and rolled a D8. I think I'm going to roll this D8 now every night that I dedicate toward these things.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So who is doing NaNoWiMo this year?

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    So who is doing NaNoWiMo this year?

I'm probably in, depending on if I can kick things off right tonight. Got a plan, got over four hundred words already and I've barely started.

Also got a lot of other things I'm going to try to do this month, though, so weekends might get a bit packed.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm trying. Going to be completely pantsing it this year, complete with a bunch of random generators for "plot." Is there an official thread for it? I saw one for Camp Nanowrimo below, but it hasn't updated since March.

Also, do we have a website for our signature widgets? I saw that mine updated automatically, but I was wondering if we have a chart or whatnot again.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    And as soon as I say I'm in, I'm out.

Wrote my first two thousand words, and cripes. It is some of the worst word vomit I have done. No problem with the deadline, I can handle that easily enough, but the everything else... gah.

My writing style has developed over the years into a perverse but effective build, where I have to slaughter sections as soon as they go wrong, re-writing huge chunks repeatedly if they cause me problems before moving on, with any structure built on poor foundations rendered utterly worthless.

It's not a good match for NaNo when also working full time and trying to get half a dozen other things done at once.

Going to keep writing on other projects, but this? Yeah. This is not worth it.

I'm planning to be in, but I'm square on zero after two days. Catch-up isn't usually too tough for me once I get the ball rolling, though, so I'm hoping to gain some ground, like as not starting from tomorrow.

• liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    Not doing Nano, just continuing to do 2-500 words per day on Thrum. Once that book is done, I can do other things.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    Nano is a no-go for me this year due to school, but agent-directed revisions are totally finished on my completed novel and now he just needs to sell the thing, so that's cool.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The election got me a little behind on Nano, but I'm still writing more and more consistently than I have for a while. Helps a lot that I'm finally in a place where work isn't eating up a bunch of my willpower each day.

Need a writer for B2B blog content or other copy? Hire me here.
    I tried watching Arrow, but I'm getting bogged down by the endless chain of forced heterosexual romance plots in season 3. Someone breaks up and gets together every few episodes. I don't like forced romance plots in general, but this is pushing limits of reason. This could be such a good show if they focused on the crime fighting vigilante thing.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I tried watching Arrow, but I'm getting bogged down by the endless chain of forced heterosexual romance plots in season 3. Someone breaks up and gets together every few episodes. I don't like forced romance plots in general, but this is pushing limits of reason. This could be such a good show if they focused on the crime fighting vigilante thing.

So... I came here to ask about the Writer's Well vs Writer's Block forum and I saw this.

Why the specificity? "Forced" romance plots are "forced" romance plots, regardless of sexuality.

Also what is the Writer's Well?

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    It's a place you need a forum account to view.

Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I noticed that from the description. Given we're not really a closed community, what does that accomplish? Is that sub forum not searchable via outside engines or something?

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    edited December 2016
    MKR wrote: »

So... I came here to ask about the Writer's Well vs Writer's Block forum and I saw this.

Why the specificity? "Forced" romance plots are "forced" romance plots, regardless of sexuality.

Also what is the Writer's Well?

Because heterosexuality in media is exhausting. There is too much of it in general, and Arrow season 3 takes it to extremes. I'm not exaggerating about the rate of breakups/get togethers. It requires an excessive suspension of disbelief. None of them are earned in the narrative. They just happen and end out of nowhere.

I can forgive it if there's at least one LGBTQ+ romance that doesn't involve death, violence, disease, or infidelity. Think of it like the Bechdel test. If every romance is heterosexual, it fails. If every LGBTQ+ romance involves death, violence, disease, or infidelity, it fails.

It also isn't a value judgement. Even Arrow, as grating as its obnoxious heterosexuality is, is a good show. You can fail the tests and still make good media, but it leaves a lot of the audience sighing and turning their heads while they wait for it to pass.

If you're going to be a hack, at least be an equitable hack.

MKR on
    I noticed that from the description. Given we're not really a closed community, what does that accomplish? Is that sub forum not searchable via outside engines or something?

That is the idea. Some people wanted a place to put stuff outside of search engine view, but we needed a writers forum that was visible to the public.

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

There are editors for real magazines that pay money who can view the forum and that stuff shows up on google searches as well so this gives us a better chance of getting feedback without stuff counting as having been published.

I believe we've had people get their stories downgraded to reprints because of having been posted here for feedback before, so it's not just paranoia.

tapeslinger
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances related to a minor depression last fall, I have a lot of time on my hands out February. So I now have a goal to have a story finished, edited and sent off for publishing by the end of March.

Hopefully it'll be good enough to sell, but the goal is to send it off regardless of quality.

Re. forum access for stories: As DoctorJest said, it's about prior publishing. From what I've seen, magazines wants first publishing rights. When a story is posted on a publicly available forum for all the world to see, that means it counts as previously published. As long as there's some barrier to access, like a forum account you should be fine. I've run into this a few times on other writing forums as well, all things considered it's a good precaution to take.

Magell
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    That was a thing that became more relevant when the editor of Clarkesworld posted in here.

Sucks about the depression MrGrimoire, but it's a good goal to have and reach.

tapeslingerDoctorJest
    edited January 2
    hey guys, speaking of Clarkesworld, i have an original story and a translation in the January issue: link

happy new year, writer's block !

Wank on
    tapeslingerDoctorJestRonin356
  • gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many hours per page a book works out to. Its not something I've tracked personally, though I'd eyeball and say "several" - maybe 3 hours a page. This is for the full process from the first word to hit that page to the final publication printing.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

edited January 18
    Probably depends on the book and the writer. Some are painstakingly crafted, others are written by maniacs who put out two novels a month.

DoctorJest on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yeah that's the kind of hours that you... really should try not to think about, ahahaha.

edited January 18
    Wank was warned for this.
    snip

Tube on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    That is indeed shameless, which is why we have a rule against it

And another one bites the dust -- Fantastic Stories of the Imagination is closing its doors...

http://www.fantasticstoriesoftheimagination.com/message-from-the-publisher/

Can't argue with the guy's reasoning at all, but it's a shame to see another market go.

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    so, uh

what's going on, WB?

you seem quieter than usual

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    I mostly write furry stuff and make music these days, and I have friends into the specific stuff I make for beta reading/listening who give solid feedback. Not much pulling me back here, aside from posts asking where everyone is.

tapeslingerDoctorJest
    I'm not writing much at the moment, because Reasons, which are probably not bad reasons as reasons go, but I should still probably be writing -- so bad Reasons in the final assessment. Hopefully all for the best in the long term even so, though.

It has been awfully quiet down here.

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Writing more for my indie comics. Hope to get at least decent, to serviceable.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    jfc, Dirigible! Good to see you back.

I'm still writing. Might actually have a novel query-ready this year. Also finishing off 3 self-pub series, which is 2 too many. Hope everyone else has been doing well these past months!

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Good lord, this place DID get quiet. Are we still invisible to non-logged-in peeps? Or is forum culture just not what it was ten years ago?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I think it's more the latter than the former; this subforum is no longer invisible.

I'll admit about 75% of the time I spend on the forums is in the AC of late, and that's... a lot less than it was five or six years ago.

In my case it's also been that I've gotten busier IRL? I'm still writing, but I've also got a lot to do in general. and some of that is in part specifically thanks to the help and support I've gotten from friends that I made in this space, but idk.

I also think it might be maybe a little more conversation conducive to do more than just duck in and say "wow, empty, huh?" over and over.

To that effect: hey, what are you all working on right now?

I'm still mired in the endless mess that is my space opera, but it's slightly less of a mess than it was this time last year, and I actually think I might be query-ready by the end of june, which was one of the goals I set for myself this year. Now, whether I actually do any of that querying is probably going to be... a challenge, but hey, I still haven't finished with those edits yet, so.

how about you?