Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Yo mama so [chat], her [brainstorm] ain't even in the same canon!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue The 25th WardRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I've been neck deep in more editing projects than ever; between Fate/Extra CCC(PSP), Persona 2: Eternal Punishment(PSP), and Sakura Wars(PC).

Maybe one day I'll get paid to do it! I'd be happy to share excerpts if anyone likes.

cj iwakura on
    wJyG2Dm.png
    The world will once again become steeped in fog. Welcome To The 25区 | 人生を殺す
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Anyone else having weird issues with the mobile version of the forums? When I go into a subforum on my phone it's like it just loads without the style sheet. I'm assuming it uses a style sheet for mobile.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    The forum is always hit or miss with me on my phone.

Sometimes it displays just like it does on the computer (which I like), other times it displays a mobile version that always just takes me to the very first post of a thread and makes me scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the latest posts.

I always just assumed it was my punishment for using a Windows Phone, though.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • WankWank Registered User regular
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Guys! I am at World Fantasy Con and there is not a huge pile of my books on the book swap table! People are KEEPING them to read!!!!! Now if only some more of them would BUY the sequels...

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    KCWiseQuothtapeslinger
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The forum is always hit or miss with me on my phone.

Sometimes it displays just like it does on the computer (which I like), other times it displays a mobile version that always just takes me to the very first post of a thread and makes me scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the latest posts.

I always just assumed it was my punishment for using a Windows Phone, though.

This happens to me sometimes. If I clear my cache and browser history, it goes away.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    tapeslinger
    okay, so.

I just got back from a super awesome signing/author event, WITH GARTH NIX, and I totally held down my end of the table like a pro! I am so pumped. I can't even believe I was there with so many awesome author-people who are WAY huger than I am. it was totally amazing/awesome, and ahhhhhh!!!!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

QuothbigrickcooktapeslingerElJeffeKCWiseDoctorJestCalica
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    Man, the Clarkesworld queue is really shifting today -- they've burned through 105 entries in their queue just while I've been watching...

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I downloaded the Scrivener trial. I resisted for so long because I saw the corkboard and thought "ew skeuomorphism," but it turns out this is one of the rare times it's done well. This is a strong contender for my limited discretionary income. Do you have to buy a new license for updates? I can't get a clear answer anywhere on their site. I paid $20 for a piece of software once, and found I was on the last update for that major version. I want to know what I'm paying for.

MKR on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    The license applies to new updates; I've had it for ages and have never had to re-buy anything

KCWise
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I also love Scrivener! I have had the windows version since beta! Never had to pay for updates, ever. I love the way it's organized. I use it for novel writing and organization, usually in conjunction with Word.

They always give a discount code for NaNo winners. You gonna wait for that or go for it now?

tapeslinger
    It looks like the NaNo 50% codes always leak, and they don't seem to mind, so I'm going to wait.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Scrivener gives discount codes to NaNo winners? I've been toying with that for the past few months, so now I have even more motivation to win.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    I actually switched over to Scrivener about a month ago when I started using a new laptop without a copy of Office on it! The transition was kind of rough at first, but I'm actually really enjoying it, now. Especially being able to write in full-screen mode so I can block out any distractions.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hi chat thread. I'm sleepy.

Over the past couple weeks I've had these wispy lines of poetry or prose or.. something that come and go in my head. When they hang on particularly strongly I record them, which has only happened twice.

Ever.

This is pretty far outside the sphere of things I normally feel compelled to do, and I'm not really sure what to do with them. They're just sort of.. there.

I don't poetry ever, I'm awful at it, and I'm sure these things are embarrassing as hell, but they itch. What would you do with them? Hide them away forever? Delete them? Post them to your livejournal? They aren't so much stories.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I'm taking a small break from the current novel to write about drunken mech pilots cause that's what I want to write about at this exact moment.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    DoctorJesttapeslingerQuothElJeffe
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    I want more drunken mech pilot stories in my life.

tapeslinger
    @ceres -- my Dad writes a lot of poetry, mostly just for himself. He just collects it, sets it aside, and then comes back to look at it all later. A lot of it's personal, some of it's funny, and some of it is just him playing with ideas from other poets (which, he says, is a great way to appreciate just how damn good some of them are at what they do). But he writes them, keeps them, and doesn't judge them in any way until he's able to look at them cold.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's a completely foreign medium to me; I don't even like it very much aside from song lyrics.

Does he save all that stuff somewhere?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    In all kinds of places, actually -- some of it's on paper, some is in documents he has on his hard drive, and the like. A couple of days ago he decided to try and sort through them and pick out ones he liked to assemble into something, but I don't know if that'll come to anything.

For my hubris the other day my Internet connection at home has been stricken until probably Saturday at the earliest. There goes my "Update 30 days in a row" badge.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    I don't know if anyone else here is interested in writing furry/anthro stuff, but the Furry Writers' Guild maintains a list of paying markets: http://furrywritersguild.com/paying-markets/

@Madican -- pretty sure you can go back in later and update your day-counts individually if need be. Not all authors always have access to an internet connection, and sometimes, authors don't get the chance to update a word-count until after midnight one day -- I'd hope that it would still count as daily updates. Anything else would be silly.

nag note time! You guys and gals have one more week to figure out if you are in or out for Secret Santa Clandestine Claus 2015, in case you wanted to participate.

edited November 2015
    Quoth wrote: »

Never thought about it that way. I do seem to get more writing done when I think about the barriers as having causes and, if not solutions, mitigations. For example, I plan to buy Scrivener because it helps make up for my troubles organizing and focusing, which led to little or no actual writing. I have to come up with an organizational scheme, but the software provides tools to make it easy. Before, I'd get distracted looking for notes or trying to find a specific scene, or some detail of a character. Now I can have it all in one place.

MKR on
    Quoth
    That was a really great read, and my favorite kind of writing advice -- nothing so overly specific as to be useless, but not so broad as to be worthless, either. It was a super great refresher for me to have this week where I feel like I've kind of been throwing my hands up in the air a lot and doing less than I could because of that ol' self-defeatism bug.

Really interesting to read about the whole Hyperactive Helplessness thing, too. That's something I don't think I've really seen anyone talking about in those terms before.

Thanks, @Quoth!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Quoth
    Hey guys, just posted a short story for critique after a long stretch of focusing on only the novel. Go check it out in the Writer's Well if you are in the mood for a military sci-fi FPS parody...thing.

Broke the 30K barrier for the first time in any NaNo. Can't slack off now, I'm too close.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    ElJeffeKCWisebigrickcookQuothAmaliaCalica
    Hey folks.

I'm bad at titles, and I'm trying to come up with something catchy and evocative for this novel.

Sonically speaking, how does "The Tenth Muse" grab you for a kind of mythology-themed dark urban fantasy sort of thing?

(Thematically, it's a story about storytelling, so I'm happy with its implications, but I tend towards tone deaf when it comes to titles that just plain sound good.)

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    Is the tenth also the last? Maybe "The Last Muse" would be more evocative, but also maybe "Last" is overused in titles. I actually am trying to think of a title for the book you just recently finished and am pretty much stumped.

There are traditionally nine muses, and the idea is that humanity is basically a tenth muse, making up happy tales to mask over the unhappy truths that they're unable to accept.

So "The Last Muse" could be construed as the ninth, when I want it to imply an additional muse. Some good adjective that might imply that it's an extra muse would work too, but I haven't come up with anything that sounds cool.

I also don't want it to be necessarily a judgmental adjective, either, because I don't want to bias the reader on whether this is a good thing or not before they read the book.

I make tweet.
    edited November 2015
    Also, I think your book should be called "The Brother From An Othermother," because naming a serious work of fiction based on a pun is the best idea.

It's even a vaguely appropriate discriptor for Bo's and Violet's relationship!

ElJeffe on

I make tweet.
    Magell
    I like The Tenth Muse. I think the only problem with it is that you might run into the "a majority of people know nothing about Greek Myth or the muses so they won't know you're implying a bonus Muse." BUT. IF at any point INSIDE the book you address that, it should be fine.

I'd recommend against The Tenth Muse, since I Googled that name and up popped three other things with the name already, including a book of poetry, a series of superhero comic books, and a book about food. Last activity on the superhero comics was in 2010 though.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Yeah, the whole book presumes only a basic layman's knowledge of Greek mythology, including the muses, and I spell out anything pertaining to mythology that's thematically important.

Actually, it's probably better for laymen, because they won't notice the places where I take creative liberties. :)

Nice thing about their mythology, though, is that they have a god or monster for pretty much anything. So I need, say, a spirit thing that's actually the doppelganger of a dead person? Oh, look, eidolons! I need an eternal avatar of abject misery that's associated with nasty death spirits? Achlys and the Keres say hi!

The number of times I needed to bastardize some element of Greek mythology to suit the story is vastly outnumbered by the number of times when something was just sitting there, giftwrapped.

I make tweet.