As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    fortis wrote: »
    Just as you posted that, the President announced he was resigning.

Yeah, I saw that. Says a lot about the power that football teams have in the SEC, among a lot of other things.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Willing to bet that would work most places, not just in the SEC. Had the players joined the fuck Brandon protest last year we wouldn't have had to wait a month to see him fired.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Willing to bet that would work most places, not just in the SEC. Had the players joined the fuck Brandon protest last year we wouldn't have had to wait a month to see him fired.

I think the thing that helped the players at Mizzou was that they had the support of the coaches. That gave them the backing they needed to make the announcement.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 11 - IN WHICH WE RECOGNIZE THE FUTILITY OF EXISTENCE AND ALSO IOWA'S CURRENT RANKING

Also a reminder: Hate Week is around the corner! Get your submissions in by November 23!

Straight-Up (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    Pittsburgh (-3.5) @ Duke - Remember like 3 weeks ago when we were talking about how these two schools would be fighting down the stretch for the ACC Coastal Division Title? Well, no you don't because first off no one even knows who's in the ACC Coastal in the first place, and #2 because no one talks about the ACC unless it's Clemson or Florida State. Anyway both of these two teams have stumbled recently, which has also allowed North Carolina to fully weaponize themselves and take the drivers seat in the division. Still, both of these teams need a win to still have a chance in the division. A Pitt loss in particular virtually guarantees North Carolina will be playing in......Charlotte? Really ACC?

#21 Memphis @ #24 Houston (-7) - This game is not as shiny as it was last week. That's because Memphis got barraged by Navy last week. And since I've talked about Memphis a ton this year, let's look at Houston, which is a robust 30th in Offensive S&P this year. Not bad considering they've blitzed most of their opponents into submission. The Cougars also have solid wins over Louisville, Cincinnati, and put up 34 points on Vanderbilt (SEE IT'S TOTALLY POSSIBLE TO DO FLORIDA). Neither team in this game has an amazing defense, and you have to assume Memphis will put up a better effort after getting embarrassed last week, but Houston winning preserves what will be a ridiculously important/good matchup in the final week against Navy.

Oregon @ #7 Stanford (-10) - Oregon has been rounding into actually-competent form in recent weeks. The defense is still a joke, but the offense finally resembles what we're all used to, most likely thanks to Vernon Adams being healthy again. Which is good, because the Stanford Death Machine (tm) is up this week, and they can win the North with a victory here. A loss by Stanford doesn't hurt them from a divisional standpoint, but with a #7 ranking, Stanford still is very much in the discussion for the CFB Playoffs, and if they win out they have as good a shot as anyone else at making the field.

Washington State @ #19 UCLA (-9.5) - Make sure you down as much coffee as possible to be awake for this one. 7:45 PM PST start time because God wants me to be as drunk as humanely possible by kickoff. Both teams sport prolific offenses and suspect defenses, though both units have rounded into form in recent weeks. UCLA is, somehow, still technically alive in the CFB Playoff discussion thanks to a backloaded schedule. If they win out, they'd have picked up wins down the stretch over Wazzu, Utah, USC, and (most likely) Stanford. On the other hand, that Wazzu looks as good as they do now, having qualified for a bowl in a year that they opened with a loss to Portland State (still the best football team in Oregon) is a testament to the program.

Against-the-Spread (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    #8 Oklahoma State (-14) @ Iowa State - Ok, I'll admit it. This is cruel of me. I just wanted to remind everyone what happened the last time an undefeated Oklahoma State team with championship aspirations went to Ames. I don't think history repeats itself, mostly because this isn't the greatest tradition in college football (that would be a highly-ranked USC team going to Corvallis and losing to Oregon State, a feat they pulled off 3 times in a row).

#2 Alabama (-8) @ #17 Mississippi State - Oh look, another year where a Mississippi State team that hasn't beaten an opponent with a pulse ends up with a ranking they don't deserve, and will summarily get slapped around by the Crimson Death Star. Mississippi State does possess one of them dual-threat QBs that always seems to give Alabama trouble for no good reason, but again, you saw what they just did to LSU, and LSU actually has talent. Maybe Lane Kiffin will just forget he has Derrick Henry in the backfield again?

Miami @ #23 North Carolina (-13) - And in the polar opposite corner of Mississippi State: North Carolina! I assume the committee is still punishing North Carolina for that season-opening loss to South Carolina, which is understandable since Steve Spurrier was essentially practicing his short game on the sideline and not even paying attention in that game. Yet the Tar Heels have looked good since that opening loss, including putting up a basketball score on Duke, which given the rivalry here was pretty ironic. Miami is 2-0 since firing Al Golden, which I swear is totally a coincidence and not an indictment on such a great coach. I can't wait for him to be coaching Maryland next year. It'll be great.

Arkansas @ #9 LSU (-7.5) - You had one job, LSU. Beat Alabama and you're home free. But no, that was too difficult. And now you get to turn around and play Arkansas for the Golden Boot in this totally-not-a-rivalry game that you've had issues with in the past (hi 2007!). And it's not like Arkansas is bad - they've suddenly remembered how football works and can be competitive against any opponent. Plus, Bret Bielema totally had sex after beating Ole Miss last week, and he was very vocal about it. I imagine he just drops his pants and has sex on the 50 yard line logo if the Razorbacks win this game.

Minnesota @ #5 Iowa (-12.5) -

And that's all I have to say about that.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK
    (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN) (straight-up)
    #12 Oklahoma @ #6 Baylor (-2.5) - I honestly have no idea how this one will play out. Baylor tried out their new QB, and they definitely beat Kansas State last week, but it was very different than what we've seen Baylor do this year. And, no offense to KState, now the level of difficulty jumps way up with Oklahoma. This is also week 2 of the Big 12 Meat Grinder (tm) that was built as a fuck you to people pointing at the lack of conference championship. Which, in hindsight, is still really rough, because every good team's schedules got backloaded and they're all going to totally take each other out and this is exactly how the Big 12 gets left out again.

Go here to enter your choices: http://goo.gl/forms/us3dwe0gKQ

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Pinkel is stepping down at Mizzou due to a lymphoma diagnosis.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Wow. That's unfortunate.

What a roller coaster week for him/them.

Edit: Diagnosed back in May. Wonder why he waited until now...

VishNub on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    There's a longer statement that I haven't read. It's possible that it got worse, or (cynically) he's being forced out because they suck.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Thank god ESPN has been frozen for the last few days. It isn't like I wanted a choice in my college viewing.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What a terrible fucking call on Indiana.

The PI to keep the drive alive wasn't particularly good either. Mo Hurst got tackled on third down, too. #BigTenRefs

I don't know about that. I'd just flipped over.

This game continues to terrify me. Indiana's going to win one of these eventually.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dear Michigan defense... I think Indiana's going to run. Just a hunch.

Edit: And that's when they decide to pass? Jesus Indiana... bad call.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah, tried to get cute. Just keep running Howard.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Fear the #CHAOSTEAM

Feel awful for them. My mentor teacher is an IU grad. Hoping they win their last two, but given that they are the CHAOSTEAM they'll probably blow one.

Go Buckeyes. I feel dirty.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You should.

It's like he just handed it to them.

Nice hold by the Duck defense (!). And good hustle by the RB.

Stanford/Oregon has the feeling of a Law of Gus game. Stanford hits a 49 yard field goal to take a 23-21 lead as the half expires.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    so Baylor, and Stanford are looking to lose, and LSU bombed this match too.

looking more and more like Henry might get that Heisman this year.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuck Stanford

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Go Buckeyes. I feel dirty.

NEVER

/dons mask

/roots for osu with alt persona

Booker hurt, Utah done.

edited November 2015
    The most Iowa team.

EDIT: Survives and advances.

enlightenedbum on
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    There's a longer statement that I haven't read. It's possible that it got worse, or (cynically) he's being forced out because they suck.

Guys on the radio were talking about this. Apparently he said he wanted to keep coaching as long as he felt physically and mentally able to do it. I imagine he's realized that going through another offseason of recruiting and everything would be more taxing than he thinks he can do. Plus, you know, focusing on trying to overcome and survive the lymphoma is more important than football.

Nick Saban yells at a reporter because the reporter doesn't take Alabama's next cupcake opponent seriously.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 12 - IOWA STILL UNDEFEATED PRAISE CORN JESUS

Also, remember that if you want to say mean things about your rival, you need to turn that in by the 23rd. And, just in case you were wondering, ASP decided to double-down on my dumb idea by making almost every rivalry available as a pick'em next week.

Straight-Up (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    Baylor @ Oklahoma State (EVEN) - Man, Oklahoma State just can't catch a lick of respect. I don't know if the ridiculous amount of turnover luck in the win over TCU is playing a part, or that it took till late in the 4th quarter for the Cowboys to put away Iowa State in Ames (and to be fair, that has been a difficult task for recent OkieState teams). But I still don't know how Oklahoma State can't even get the three point home-field advantage over a Baylor team still starting a freshman QB after getting beat by Oklahoma. Nothing makes sense. Go Hawkeyes. Eat at Arbys.

Texas Christian @ Oklahoma (EVEN) - SPEAKING OF NOTHING MAKING SENSE! I'm assuming the people making this line are assuming the Oklahoma team that showed up against Texas is due for a return any day now, and that maybe TCU will be healthy enough for this game. But on the real, though: we can't rule out that Texas is throwing their season in an attempt to make Oklahoma look even worse. It'd be the best coaching job Charlie Strong has ever pulled off.

Arizona @ Arizona State (EVEN) - THE TERRITORIAL CUP! And both teams are...not great. Both teams had eyes on the Pac-12 South title, but both have really fallen to the wayside. That said, both teams are coming off big wins, with ASU winning on the road over Washington and Arizona pulled off the upset over Utah. Both teams can put up offensive numbers, and will refuse to play defense if at all possible. Also, for two programs that don't have a ton of national prominence over the years, this rivalry can get really heated. Definitely a fun game to watch.

UCLA @ Utah (-2) - I.....I don't even know anymore. UCLA looked listless and awful in their loss to Wazzu last week, and yet they still have a shot at winning the division. Utah suddenly isn't in control of their own destiny after losing to Arizona, and needs USC to lose at some point. So, even with both losses last week, this is still a huge game. Again, nothing makes sense. Go Hawkeyes. Eat at Arbys.

Louisiana State @ Mississippi (-4) - This game had big implications a few weeks ago. Now? LSU is completely out of the running for the SEC West, and probably needs to win out to salvage any hope they have for a good end-of-season bowl game. Ole Miss still technically has a shot at winning the SEC West, but they need Alabama to lose to Auburn, so they're basically out of the running too. Still, one of these teams is basically done after this game, and at this point both coaches might be coaching for their jobs in a dog-eat-dog SEC.

Against the Spread (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    California @ Stanford (-11) - THE BIG GAME. Stanford is potentially looking at a nightmare scenario here. If they lose this game, they'll need Oregon to lose to either USC or Oregon State, otherwise they'll win the division. And it's not like crazy things haven't happened in this rivalry game. After all, one of the most iconic college football moments involves Cal players running through the Stanford band en route to an improbable victory. It probably also helps that Sonny Dykes is somehow coaching for his job after bringing Cal back from the brink (going 0-8 against the other California schools at this point probably doesn't help).

Southern California @ Oregon (-4.5) - OREGON IS BACK! USC IS BACK! ONE OF THESE TEAMS IS GOING TO COME CRASHING DOWN TO EARTH! I'd bet on that team being USC, just because they haven't been this challenged since Notre Dame, meanwhile Oregon suddenly can salvage their season. Also, it's not like Eugene is a super-easy place to play in. Also, I'm sure this will be the game Cody Kessler proves he's a good quarterback against top-end competition and won't throw 3 interceptions or something.

Northwestern @ Wisconsin (-10) - Congratulations to Wisconsin! They're a top victory for both Alabama and Iowa, and have a chance to still have a really good season. Northwestern, meanwhile, is finally starting to look like the team we thought they were - good but not great. Both teams have a higher-level bowls still in play, so this is a pivotal matchup in the Big Ten West pecking order.

North Carolina (-6.5) @ Virginia Tech - North Carolina - the last true test for Clemson. That'll happen in a few weeks, though. Right now, North Carolina has to get past the Hokies and Frank Beamer's last ride. This is a sneaky matchup for North Carolina; VT isn't super talented, but they can take advantage of mistakes, and if a North Carolina team that hasn't tasted success before starts reading their press clippings and doesn't show up, we could get a repeat of the opener against South Carolina.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN) (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    Michigan State @ Ohio State (-13) (AGAINST THE SPREAD) - Sure was nice of Ohio State to suspend JT Barrett just long enough so that he could get in a game prior to this to shake off any rust. Michigan State still, somehow, has a chance to make it into the playoffs, and a win here would almost guarantee them the Big 10 East. Michigan is waiting in the wings for Ohio State, and I've been told by Michigan Men (tm) that they do need Ohio State to win here if they themselves will have any shot at winning the division, and when a Michigan Man is choosing to root for That Team Down South, you know things are serious.

Go here to enter your choices: http://goo.gl/forms/qXV4d1jkx3

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    BUTT BUTT BUTT

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The fact that there isn't any football being played in Michigan or Indiana today makes me very sad.

Edit: oh wait, there's some football in south bend tonight. I may actually watch some BC football this year.

Veevee on
    edited November 2015
    As someone who would have had a ticket to that game, I'm kind of glad.

enlightenedbum on
    I think PSU ran as many plays in the first half as Indiana did in the first quarter last week.

That is like the sixth consecutive Michigan game with a baffling targeting call.

First round Hackenberg spontaneously appears!

• LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Where are waists located?

These refs are atrocious. Block in the shoulder is called an illegal block below the waist.

It's not even badly done both ways. Every call is against Michigan. Hackenberg overthrows the safety over the top, call a gentle nudge because it was obviously catchable.

If we lose this game I'm going to fucking explode.

Oh boy, go Buckeyes.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I am quite surprised that Virginia Tech is headed to overtime against North Carolina, would be nice for them to get bowl eligible before the UVA game in Frank Beamer's final season. Also it would kill any aspirations North Carolina thinks they have for the playoff.

steam_sig.png
    Oh boy, go Buckeyes.

So, how much, exactly, did that hurt to say, bum?

This discussion has been closed.