As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So, if you needed any more proof that the aTm fandom is filled with horrible people, here's a piece of hate mail sent to their coach, tweeted by his wife.

(Tweet is linked because the content of said hate mail is against forum rules, which should say everything you need to know.)

But they said please!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, there's a PA state report showing that Paterno knew about Sandusky's abuses prior to his meeting with McQuery:
    CNN has obtained a Pennsylvania state police report that suggests that Joe Paterno had knowledge of at least one prior act of sexual abuse committed by Jerry Sandusky when Paterno met with whistleblower Mike McQueary in 2002. This version of events would seriously undermine a long-held belief among Paterno loyalists that the coach was mostly a peripheral figure in a series of university fuck-ups that allowed Sandusky to sexually assault at least 10 boys over the course of decades.

Of course, the JoPa Fan Club will dismiss this as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, it appears Michigan is getting in some early practice about how to lose to Ohio teams. They'll be well ready by the end of the season.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Texas wins 56-0 over Spartans. Great tune up for next week against the Trojans.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Eastern Michigan just beat Rutgers in Piscataway. Jim Delaney is the best.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Texas wins 56-0 over Spartans. Great tune up for next week against the Trojans.

Sarcasm.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Can Oklahoma and AN Ohio State University please contrive some way in which they both lose, please? Kthnxbye

• Options
    I'm okay with Oklahoma winning.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    As dirty as Utah and BYU are, their annual game should be called the Assholy War.

I'm sure I'm the first person to ever make this joke.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

This led to a third and goal from their OWN 7.

This is AMAZING.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Dangit Cougs, you can't let Boise State hang around or it'll bit you in the ass eventually.

• Options
    Oh look here comes the ass-biting

Leach you asshole, don't bench your senior QB in the second half of a close game

Oh great now he's hurt and throwing picks

Just a great development that couldn't possibly have been influenced by the coach playing head games

God I hate this prick sometimes

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wait Mike Leach, formerly of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, is coaching the Washington State Cougars? (I only kind of follow college football these days, I'm behind the times). Did Washington State decide they wanted some of that mediocrity spiced up with baffling coaching decisions? I have no idea why any major college would hire him as their football coach.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Wait Mike Leach, formerly of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, is coaching the Washington State Cougars? (I only kind of follow college football these days, I'm behind the times). Did Washington State decide they wanted some of that mediocrity spiced up with baffling coaching decisions? I have no idea why any major college would hire him as their football coach.

"Mediocrity spiced up with baffling coaching decisions" pretty much is the definition of the Cougs.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    We were happy to get him and he was happy to have a job where people would be happy to have him.

Despite his mediocrity on the national level, he's the best coach we've ever had and I say that with full awareness of his deficiencies.

• Options
    PAC12 after dark going to 3rd OT.

• Options
    BSU kicks FG

Cougs score TD! Cougs win!Cougs win! Cougs win!

Came back from a 21 point deficit in the 4th quarter!

• Options
    After Oklahoma won, sports turds have already begun the narrative that the road win will look good for them to The Committee. You could even hear the PbP guys jerking off whilst saying it. Plus, with having a CCG this year, the conference stock wile rise as well. Likely making this the first year where people actually care the fifth power five conference is left out.

Unless a two-loss Alabama is still available, of course...

Only twelve more weeks!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Probably the best moment of last night

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

He was fired less than a year after leading Tech to their best season ever and being on the doorstep of a national title game due to dumb Texas internal politics (Craig James and his son are absolutely terrible). It's probably the biggest mistake the Tech athletic department has ever made -- he's eccentric and makes some baffling decisions, but also pretty damn good at coaching offense. WSU was amazingly bad before he got there for quite awhile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    After Oklahoma won, sports turds have already begun the narrative that the road win will look good for them to The Committee. You could even hear the Play-by-Post guys jerking off whilst saying it. Plus, with having a Collectible Card Game this year, the conference stock wile rise as well. Likely making this the first year where people actually care the fifth power five conference is left out.

How I read it ...

• Options
    It would probably be more entertaining anyway.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

He was fired less than a year after leading Tech to their best season ever and being on the doorstep of a national title game due to dumb Texas internal politics (Craig James and his son are absolutely terrible). It's probably the biggest mistake the Tech athletic department has ever made -- he's eccentric and makes some baffling decisions, but also pretty damn good at coaching offense. WSU was amazingly bad before he got there for quite awhile.

Isn't he an abusive asshole, or did that narrative get corrected?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    BSU kicks FG

Cougs score TD! Cougs win!Cougs win! Cougs win!

Came back from a 21 point deficit in the 4th quarter!

Yeah man that was a hell of a game

• Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

Isn't he an abusive asshole, or did that narrative get corrected?

That's up to how much you trust Craig James and his terrible son. It's sort of hard to separate fact from fiction when everyone involved is crazy to one degree or another, and anything further is just me speculating. The Tech administration was looking for an excuse to fire him at the time because they thought they didn't need him anymore and he's eccentric and tough to work with, which makes it even murkier. It was a huge mess of Texas good ol' boys and internal politics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you believe Craig James and Adam James and the Texas Tech administration at the time, Leach was fired for "mistreating" Adam James. They claim he made James sit in an equipment shed for hours as punishment for getting a concussion.

Leach contends that he was fired on Dec 30 2009 because if he was still the coach on Dec 31 2009 he would have been due about $2.5 million in guaranteed money.

• Options
    Baker Mayfield has 'apologised' for planting the flag in Columbus.

Teams to eventually feel shame for celebrating road victories any fucking day now.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    when was the last time goalposts came down?

• Options

Teams to eventually feel shame for celebrating road victories any fucking day now.

They should leave that flag up between home games to remind Meyer and Wilson and Coombs to fix their shit

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Oh dear, I'm feeling political.

You mean the people in a city called Columbus got upset about someone planting a flag on territory that wasn't theirs?

• Options
    I'm not sure many here are that upset about the flag.

We're pissed that an offense full of NFL prospects averages ~4 yards per pass attempt.

Or that the corners at "DB U" can't turn their fucking heads so as not to get flagged for PI.

But mostly that first one.

• Options
    does Ohio State really call itself "DB U"?

I mean, I've been calling them that for years but I suspect it has a different meaning than the one they're using.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Someday y'all will fire the WR coach whose only competency is talking shit on Twitter. I guess maybe recruiting.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    does Ohio State really call itself "DB U"?

I mean, I've been calling them that for years but I suspect it has a different meaning than the one they're using.

I heard a former player call them that. I had never heard it before, though they do send a lot of DBs on to successful NFL careers.

Some of their secondary make it, too!

• Options
    I'm not sure many here are that upset about the flag.

We're pissed that an offense full of NFL prospects averages ~4 yards per pass attempt.

Or that the corners at "DB U" can't turn their fucking heads so as not to get flagged for PI.

But mostly that first one.

Yeah, as an Oklahoma fan I felt the same thing last year. It's embarassing to have a team sing their fight song on your field, but I wasn't calling anyone "classless" or making a big deal out of it. I was pissed that such a talented team got rocked at home, and felt tOSU had every right to rub it in a little.

It's just like 5 really loud people making a big deal out of it. Neither celebration is some super egregious act -- I think it's awesome that we have a bit of a rivalry going now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 3: GEORGIA FANS ALSO BOUGHT THE MAJORITY OF SEATS IN THE PICK'EM. GO DAWGS!

Straight-Up (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    #25 UCLA (-3) @ Memphis - Who the fuck scheduled this game to be a nooner? Also when I went to ESPN, the preview said that UCLA was searching for an identity, and, you guys, their identity is Josh Rosen. That's literally it. Shit maybe sports journalism isn't that hard! Current Memphis coach Mike Norvell used to coach under Todd Graham, which I only mention because you have to consider him an early frontrunner for the ASU job when Graham gets fired in a few weeks.

#23 Tennessee @ #24 Florida (-4.5) - Well, I have questions. Question 1: Why are either of these teams ranked? Question 2: Do the oddsmakers think that Florida's defense is going to outscore Tennessee? Because their offense sure as hell isn't. Question 3: Can we put Florida's offense in Tennessee's turnover trash can? CAUSE THEY'RE BOTH GARBAGE BOOM NAILED IT SCORE ONE FOR ME SUCKERS!

#18 Kansas State (-4) @ Vanderbilt - I don't know. Vandy's defense looks real good, and Kansas State's offense looks real good, but all I could think about when looking at this game was the juxtaposition of these two fanbases. On the one hand, you have small, private school Vanderbilt, with their rich-person snob and polo shirts, and then you have Kansas State, with their salt-of-the-earth, ain't never met a JuCo transfer they didn't like attitude. That alone makes this matchup worth it.

Ole Miss (-4) @ California - Ok, forget the game: here's what I really want to talk about. Ole Miss is having it's Infractions Hearing this week regarding Hugh Freeze calling hookers from his work phone (as revealed by professional snitch Houston Nutt), which has led to this fantastic piece of reporting:
    COI chair and Xaiver University athletic director Greg Christopher denied an August 16 request by Mississippi State to have officials from MSU attend the event “as observers.”

THAT IS SOME GRADE-A RIVALRY SHIT RIGHT THERE! Mississippi State wanted to be observers in the same way I go watch my neighbors shoot off fireworks: you know it's going to end up poorly for someone you dislike, and that makes you giddy as hell.

Against the Spread (spread in parenthesis courtesy of Yahoo)
    #9 Oklahoma State (-14) @ Pittsburgh - Still trying to wrap my head around Oklahoma State being ranked 9th in the country right now. Pitt outgained and almost held a 2:1 ToP advantage over rival Penn State last weekend, and still managed to lose 33-14, which is maybe the most Pitt thing ever. Also, don't run a screen from your own end zone, you dumb idiots.

#10 Wisconsin (-17) @ Brigham Young - Have we been putting a bunch of BYU games on the pick'ems early because watching them lose to real teams that don't pull dirty-ass bullshit is fun? That's up to you to decide (the answer is yes). This week: Wisconsin will just sit on Tanner Magnum for 60 minutes, which should be a real treat.

Purdue @ Missouri (-7.5) - New Purdue is out here doing things like this:

This is real fun. I like you, new Purdue. Meanwhile Missouri is out here not playing much defense and getting smoked by a Will Muschamp team, and they're still favored by 7.5. That seems about right.

Oregon (-14) @ Wyoming - From the people that brought you Oklahoma State playing a road game at South Alabama on a Friday night, we present: Oregon on the road at Wyoming! Future NFL bust Josh Allen gets another opportunity to show what he can do against a Power 5 opponent and it is going to go so, so poorly for him.

Texas @ #4 Southern California (-15.5) - In the run-up to this game, USC's sports media department wanted people to know that Texas never officially beat USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, because the game was vacated due to USC cheating. Which leaves me with two feelings. #1 - Of course USC only starts admitting they cheated and accepting their punishment to spite someone else. #2 - Sorry USC, but you can never take this away from me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeiXFtkGp2s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVu3YplUqSs

Hook'em.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (Straight-Up) (spread in parenthesis courtesy of ESPN)
    #3 Clemson (-3) @ #14 Louisville - Last year's meeting between these two teams was one of the best games of the year, and Clemson would go on to lose to Pitt before winning the National Championship, while the wheels fell off for Louisville later in the season, but at least Lamar Jackson won the Heisman. This year's meeting should be similarly good, as Clemson's defense still looks like a group of murderers, while Louisville still has Lamar Jackson, and a pretty bad defense that is going to require Lamar Jackson to do ridiculous things for an entire game this year. The biggest question is whether Clemson's offense can take a step forward after a rough game against Auburn last week.

Go here to enter your choices: https://goo.gl/forms/gb4MYsWtSU8K5stD3

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I think, eventually, ESPN's in-depth analysis of UCLA will end up as 'not-USC'.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Congratulations, Nebraska.

EDIT:
    And congratulations, UCLA. Next time when the opponent is blitzing near the redzone, try running the ball.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    So after that hit in the Memphis/UCLA game I'm curious about the extent of the targeting rule. I have no idea if it was a targeting type hit, the angles suck and I don't want to watch a bunch replays of a kid getting knocked out, and none of the announcers mentioned it being reviewed or anything. Given the defender was standing fully upright it looked like the blocker went upward to make the hit so I would have figured the hit warranted a second look. Or is this a situation where defenders on kickoff's aren't afforded the protection?

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    End of first quarter, ECU-VT, I check the score before running some errands. 17-7 ECU. Pleasantly surprised.

Get back home by the end of the third to see that VT now leads 57-17.

So glad they got rid of Ruffin. /s

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.