As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    A mediocre USC team that could still win the Pac 12. The ACC has really let them down I suppose. Right now Oklahoma is looking really good, I have no idea how they lost to Texas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    A mediocre USC team that could still win the Pac 12. The ACC has really let them down I suppose. Right now Oklahoma is looking really good, I have no idea how they lost to Texas.

South Carolina beating North Carolina might be weirder.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Looks like Oklahoma is going to knock TCU out of the Big 12 race.

• Options
    I actually kind of expect TCU to lose to the three actually good teams in the Big 12. If TCU ends up losing to Ok. St., Oklahoma and Baylor I don't think they should be counted as a quality win.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OK this is really weird watching the TCU - OU game on the ESPN website. Every now and again the announcers pass it over to the studio, but they don't have the audio for whatever they are saying on the stream.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Watch ESPN doesn't get the studio parts.

• Options
    ND probably shouldn't turn the ball over five times if they want to control their own destiny. Fortunately, BC's offense is worse than anything Hoke ever put out there.

• Options
    Yeah Notre Dame is really not taking advantage of the opportunities afforded them. I mean the talking heads say that BC has a fantastic defense, but for a team trying to claim a spot in the playoff they need to do better. If they keep this up they'll lose to Stanford and be eliminated regardless.

Right now I'm thinking Clemson, Iowa, Oklahoma and Alabama.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot UNC in that list. If they beat Clemson they probably have a shot. But would need help.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Hrm for UNC to make it, I think they'd need Stanford to beat Notre Dame and Stanford not winning the Pac 12. Not that the Pac 12 champ is making it in at this point, but just to make Notre Dame look that much worse. They would probably also need Michigan to beat Ohio State, Michigan State to lose to Penn State and Iowa to lose the Big Ten title game (to I think Michigan in that scenario). I think an undefeated Oklahoma State team or a 1 loss Oklahoma would be ahead of a 1 loss North Carolina.

So plausible, though it requires beating Clemson who has really looked good most of the year.

-edit- Now to try and come up with a scenario in which Navy makes the playoff, because that would be epic.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That is legit impossible.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The only way Navy gets in to a four team playoff is to join the ACC.

• Options
    Bad punt snap and a hell of a run get TCU back in the game. Chasing points early they fail. Down 10.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    That is legit impossible.

But FiveThirtyEight gives them a (probably overstated) 3% chance at the playoff if they win out! I know it's a pipe dream, but I am curious as to what set of circumstances led to that result even 3% of the time. I'm guessing it probably required Houston to beat Connecticut, so yeah it's probably legitimately impossible. Navy still has a chance at one of the big New Year's bowl games though, which is very impressive from a service academy in this day and age.

-edit- Also going for 2 when down 10 isn't necessarily a bad idea, though yeah it seems early to be chasing points.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arkansas/Miss State is ridiculous, btw. On ESPN.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Navay was always pretty gritty. Being stuck as an independent doormat wasn't doing them any favours. Joining the AAC gives them a steady schedule of easy-to-beat teams and an improved position in recruiting.

I'm waiting for the return of Yale to the championship picture.

• Options
    So here's a question, is Oklahoma helped or hurt if Baylor beats Oklahoma State? On the one hand, it makes the win over Baylor look better, but on the downside it makes Bedlam slightly less impressive of a matchup. Of course, if Baylor beats Oklahoma State, and then Oklahoma State wins Bedlam, that would theoretically put Baylor in control of the Big 12. So many fun scenarios to speculate about!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Navay was always pretty gritty. Being stuck as an independent doormat wasn't doing them any favours. Joining the AAC gives them a steady schedule of easy-to-beat teams and an improved position in recruiting.

Isn't the biggest hurdle at any armed forces school being you have an obligation for service?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

Isn't the biggest hurdle at any armed forces school being you have an obligation for service?

Surprisingly I don't feel that it is. All of the service academies have pretty strict fitness requirements and size limits. You won't see a 350 lb lineman at any of them for that reason. I think that is a bigger problem than the lack of the opportunity to go pro (though the armed forces are probably willing to make special deals that involve only reserve service for people that get drafted).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed I have to root for PSU, too. Y'all have the Brandonest stadium atmosphere.

When I did college visits way back when, Happy Valley was the weirdest freaking place I visited. I still can't put a finger on exactly what it is. Definitely could've been in an X-Files episode though. Having fans that throw batteries at opposing fans doesn't help either.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Hell of a comeback by TCU.

EDIT: Then they go for two against a team playing a shitty backup QB.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    I'm annoyed I have to root for PSU, too. Y'all have the Brandonest stadium atmosphere.

When I did college visits way back when, Happy Valley was the weirdest freaking place I visited. I still can't put a finger on exactly what it is. Definitely could've been in an X-Files episode though. Having fans that throw batteries at opposing fans doesn't help either.

My sister and brother in law were at a Nebraska-Penn St game and a Psu fan threw an unopened can of beer at my visibly pregnant sister. So yeah. Fuck em

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

Surprisingly I don't feel that it is. All of the service academies have pretty strict fitness requirements and size limits. You won't see a 350 lb lineman at any of them for that reason. I think that is a bigger problem than the lack of the opportunity to go pro (though the armed forces are probably willing to make special deals that involve only reserve service for people that get drafted).

David Robinson served his two years. It's a lot less likely for sevice academy players to get drafted because teams need bodies now! It's a concern, sure. But I don't think it's a deal breaker.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Well David Robinson was kind of a special case, as he grew well above the normal height limit for the US Navy while at the academy; I believe he did 2 years active duty and then a bunch of reserve time. According to this article it was made an official policy in 2008 for all students of the service academies. The service commitment is probably a concern for the upper echelon recruits, who would be unlikely to want to attend a school that runs the sort of scheme (at least on the offensive side) that the academies typically rely on anyway. And of course, the reason they run the option schemes that they do is partly because of the military fitness requirements. For example, a 6'6" 20 year old male must be between 173 and 234 pounds, and if they exceed 234 pounds they must be below 20% body fat (according to Army Regulation 600-9). Without the ability to have linemen of unusual size (aka LOUSes), they have to get creative with their offensive schemes in particular.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Still, Navy won't get serious playoff attention without a flawless seasion or major conference hype. Even UConn got some BCS action just because of the Big Least.

And I belive the committee will still attempt to balance the playoff geographically. Especially since the first round takes place on New Year's Eve this year. Look for Stanford getting a big look if they dominate the next two games. Beating Notre Dame will definitely boost them. Otherwise the West Coast ratings will be replaced by ND ratings.

• Options
    Michigan/Ohio State line moved 5.5 points towards Michigan since it opened early this afternoon. That feels wrong. Now Michigan -3.

• Options
    Honestly, comparing the result of the games against Michigan State, it should probably be a coin toss / slight advantage for the home team. I'm not sure I'd give either team more than a 1.5 point advantage on a betting line.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We'd crush them if they played like they did last night against us, but there's no way they'll be that willfully stupid again.

We'd also crush the MSU team that played last night. No Cook = death for them against us.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    WSU QB Luke Falk left the game on a board last night after hitting his head on the turf in the 3rd quarter.

No news yet, and I wouldn't expect there to be anytime soon. Mike Leach's policy on discussing injuries makes Bill Belichick look like the world's biggest blabber mouth.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sad about Falk, he was never going to get real talk about the Heisman because of air raid, but that's still shitty.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    At this point he's almost guaranteed to be out for the Apple Cup, which they're playing on Black Friday for some stupid reason.

Like, that's obviously not the important thing here but I feel like if there was good news about his condition we'd have heard by now.

knitdan on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    knitdan wrote: »
    At this point he's almost guaranteed to be out for the Apple Cup, which they're playing on Black Friday for some stupid reason.

Like, that's obviously not the important thing here but I feel like if there was good news about his condition we'd have heard by now.

Yeah which sucks because that means like usual the cougs with a winning record will go into the apple cup with the better record and then lose to the huskies.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    DEADLINE TO WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR RIVAL FOR HATE WEEK IS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT PST. OTHERWISE I WILL WRITE MANY CURSE WORDS ABOUT YOU GUYS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE FACTUALLY ACCURATE.

ON AN UNRELATED NOTE THAT ISN'T BASED ON ME BEING UPSET THAT NONE OF THE MICHIGAN PEOPLE HAVE SUBMITTED ANYTHING, DID YOU KNOW MICHIGAN IS LATIN FOR "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY'S BITCH"? PRETTY CRAZY.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    HUSKY FEVER IS A VENEREAL DISEASE

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    HUSKY FEVER IS A VENEREAL DISEASE

Like Syphillis only worse because it makes you dress in purple and bark like a dog.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm still too mad at Urban Meyer to write anything coherent. He threw that game.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Scott Shafer fired at Syracuse. Everyone's firing everyone.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    University of Spoiled Children is...doodyheads! Yeah!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Oh, I'm sorry you bruined your life. But you know what they say - friends don't let friends go to Westwood.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Oh, I'm sorry you bruined your life. But you know what they say - friends don't let friends go to Westwood.

Just don't paint the bear.

VishNub on
This discussion has been closed.