As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You're right, that's better.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Hey minecraft thread

What's the deal with the Windows 10 edition?
    Why/how is it different from the regular Windows edition?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Hey minecraft thread

Win10 is written with different code, can be played with phone/xbox versions(I think?), and is not moddable.

The regular Windows edition is the original java, and people can make mods for it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Is there a trick to making custom levels work on PC?
    I've downloaded a few for my kids, put them in his save folder but they don't seem to work right. One had a weird glitch where he can't go through a portal and one that's supposed to be the a copy of the 360 tutorial says it's survival mode, but loads in creative.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Is there a trick to making custom levels work on PC?
    I've downloaded a few for my kids, put them in his save folder but they don't seem to work right. One had a weird glitch where he can't go through a portal and one that's supposed to be the a copy of the 360 tutorial says it's survival mode, but loads in creative.

Are you using the Win10 version of Minecraft, or the java version?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Java...I think. I bought it from Minecraft.net not the Windows 10 Store

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    So, if they are vanilla saves, you should be able to just copy it to the saves folder. However, some worlds may have been built in a modded version of MC. If that is the case, you would need the same mods to properly load those saves.

It might also be possible that you are finding saves that are intended for the Win10 version, which won't load properly into the Java game.

Any chance you can link to a couple of the saves you've tried?

• Options
    Using the TU19 from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m9sjaa3zp8v73/Tutorial_Maps_Minecraft

I'm at work and can't remember any of the others off the top of my head.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Using the TU19 from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m9sjaa3zp8v73/Tutorial_Maps_Minecraft

I'm at work and can't remember any of the others off the top of my head.

I can check for sure when I get home, but Im pretty sure that is a save for the 360 version of the game. If you are using the Java version of Minecraft, those maps wouldn't work, because it's a totally different system. After a little searching, it's unclear if you could get xbox saves to work with the win10 version either.

• Options
    It loads and seems to have all the map content. But it's creative mode and unpopulated.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can change the game mode with "/gamemode survival".

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    Hey minecraft thread

Win10 is written with different code, can be played with phone/xbox versions(I think?), and is not moddable.

The regular Windows edition is the original java, and people can make mods for it.

Windows 10 edition has multiplayer with mobile versions, but no console versions. It uses Xbox Live for the login system. Every console's multiplayer is siloed right now, as far as I can tell.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hey Minecraft thread!

The Nintendo Switch version came out a few days ago and some people are getting it. Some for the first time! I know you guys are probably doing crazy PC mod shenanigans and shun the filthy vanilla console version but I didn't want to muck up the Switch thread anymore with Minecraft talk.

Overall it's a pretty cool release of the game, having it portable but fully-featured. The only compromises compared to the other console versions are that the max world size is about 3000x3000 instead of 5000x5000, and there is currently no way to communicate other than wooden signs which sucks. Presumably voice chat will be in once the console-wide voice chat is implemented in the next few months.

I beelined to setting up some underground pastures and farms and got enchanting going. Built this tower to house my enchanting table, anvil and such:
    BfRYd7w.png7E2N5g0.pngpbMUnIz.png

Also fully mapped out my seed and built a map room to house it, and labeled points of interest in case any other Switch players want to try it out:
    Ffu69kO.pngIfz7jDG.pngpE1TLqX.png
    (Click here for full size)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Any nintendo switch players that want to start out with 2 villages nearby type in Awesomeland for the seed. From spawn head southeast and southwest respectively to find each village, screenshot the map coordinates as well:

l4jwb0v1739c.jpg
    5ogcxvcqyani.jpg

• Options
    There's a max map size in the console versions? That must be miserable! How do you build giant world-eater mining contraptions with such finite space?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    There's a max map size in the console versions? That must be miserable! How do you build giant world-eater mining contraptions with such finite space?

Yeah, the ones with the lowest specs like Vita are limited to like 800x800 which is a postage stamp!

But I will say 3000x3000 is more than enough to spread out and build giant contraptions. It doesn't sound like much but in practice you can wander for a long time, as long as you can find a couple rare biomes, a village, some features like temples and spawners, you can make a good home for yourself and a couple friends.

Any nintendo switch players that want to start out with 2 villages nearby type in Awesomeland for the seed. From spawn head southeast and southwest respectively to find each village, screenshot the map coordinates as well:

Y'know it'd be awesome to clear out the land between them and build more similar buildings to fill the space and connect the villages! End their longstanding feud!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Speaking of mobile versions, I realized that I was the old generation of gamers the other day when I saw a bunch of kids playing MC with the touch controls. I bought MC for my phone a while back thinking it would be fun to play on breaks or w/e, but the touch controls just don't work for my sad, clumsy hands.

• Options
    Hanktheguy Hanktheguy Registered User regular
    Hey I thought this was about the real game not hacks

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So what's the Nintendo-themed Minecraft land like? Is it pretty much just layering some Mario structures over the usual creepers, endless caves, etc. or is it something different?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So what's the Nintendo-themed Minecraft land like? Is it pretty much just layering some Mario structures over the usual creepers, endless caves, etc. or is it something different?

There are two aspects to it...first it's a total texture replacement and changes the music too, and you can generate any random world with those textures or play Creative etc. Second, they included a custom-made world to go with those textures that already has a surprising amount of Mario content created. Giant pixel art, giant 3D statues, a complete re-creation of Mario World's map with Forest of Illusion and such, a Mario 3 area that looks like a Mario 3 map screen when viewed from up high, Peach's castle from Mario 64, even a massive Bowser's castle and enemy statues in the Nether. There are puzzles to solve with levers and apparently the goal is to discover every chest containing all the music records, some of which can be well hidden.

It's actually kind of confusing to figure out what all the Mario stuff is in terms of Minecraft objects and mobs. Probably useful to go into Creative and learn what's what from there. Sheep are Koopa Troopas, zombies are Hammer Bros, chickens are Goombas, furnaces are Bowser heads. A number of the paintings have been used up as decorations to various parts of the world, like clouds on Peach's castle wall I believe.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There are two aspects to it...first it's a total texture replacement and changes the music too, and you can generate any random world with those textures or play Creative etc. Second, they included a custom-made world to go with those textures that already has a surprising amount of Mario content created. Giant pixel art, giant 3D statues, a complete re-creation of Mario World's map with Forest of Illusion and such, a Mario 3 area that looks like a Mario 3 map screen when viewed from up high, Peach's castle from Mario 64, even a massive Bowser's castle and enemy statues in the Nether. There are puzzles to solve with levers and apparently the goal is to discover every chest containing all the music records, some of which can be well hidden.

It's actually kind of confusing to figure out what all the Mario stuff is in terms of Minecraft objects and mobs. Probably useful to go into Creative and learn what's what from there. Sheep are Koopa Troopas, zombies are Hammer Bros, chickens are Goombas, furnaces are Bowser heads. A number of the paintings have been used up as decorations to various parts of the world, like clouds on Peach's castle wall I believe.

...well, there goes 30 bucks.

Also kudos to Microsoft for letting Mojang go buck-wild with stuff for other systems.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    BTW besides the Mario world, there are other themed worlds, including both the texture reskin and the custom-made world. Two I explored were the holiday one (snow town, lodge and massive christmas tree) and the halloween one (creepy town and big theme park with roller coaster, and a mansion further off).

Some of them are not technically included in the purchase, and are demos you can't save in unless you buy it. But there are quite a few player skins and some extra world textures that come included.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Bad news: Thaumcraft is on indefinite hiatus.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1292130-thaumcraft-5-2-4-on-hold

Sounds like a few different modders are offering to pick up after Azanor, but who knows if that'll turn out.

• Options
    While this is news, it's sort of not news. If Thaumcraft 5 were ever coming out it would have been out by now. I know Azanor has been working on it, and there are beta builds and whatnot, but it's been obvious for a while that progress was moving very slowly and not for any technical reasons.

It's too bad, but people come and go from the modding community.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm surprised it lasted this long, considering every version seems to be a radical, insane change from the previous.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Honestly I'm surprised it lasted this long, considering every version seems to be a radical, insane change from the previous.

They're supposed to be. He got a kick out of doing different things each version. It will be missed, but there's new mods that will crop up and fill the void. It's not like the old versions of thaumcraft are unavailable.

• Options
    Nope nope nope, Thaumcraft is over, everything is ruined

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

They're supposed to be. He got a kick out of doing different things each version. It will be missed, but there's new mods that will crop up and fill the void. It's not like the old versions of thaumcraft are unavailable.

yeah but you cant refine the wheel when you are constantly inventing replacements.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Random question: I don't really understand the point of the slaughterhouse and meat ingots instead of just using a grinder?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Usually just for pink slime for laser drills.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Usually just for pink slime for laser drills.

I think you need..5 pink slime crystals per laser drill setup? so if you are deep enough end game, you will need a good production rate.

• Options
    Well, all you need is one pink slime, embiggen it, then grab it in a safari net and mass produce it. Which takes the slaughterhouse completely out of the equation at that point.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Well, all you need is one pink slime, embiggen it, then grab it in a safari net and mass produce it. Which takes the slaughterhouse completely out of the equation at that point.

i..did not know you could autospawn pink slimes.

is that a recent change? or did I just never find it out?

• Options
    I don't think it was a recent change, no. I know it worked in 1.7 Minefactory, I can't recall if I ever tried it in 1.6 or not.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Do you have to have a curse account to download modpacks?

I've been trying to use several different curse pack downloaders, like Vazkii's CMPDL (to avoid the curse client and registering a curse account) and nothing seems to be working. I'm honestly to the point where I think I may give up on minecraft if/when the FTB client finally goes away.

edit
    Spend 2 hours smashing my head against it, 15 seconds after making a post about it things finally start working. I fucking hate everything! :razz:

Buttcleft on
  • Options

I've been trying to use several different curse pack downloaders, like Vazkii's CMPDL (to avoid the curse client and registering a curse account) and nothing seems to be working. I'm honestly to the point where I think I may give up on minecraft if/when the FTB client finally goes away.

edit
    Spend 2 hours smashing my head against it, 15 seconds after making a post about it things finally start working. I fucking hate everything! :razz:

Curse was bought out by twitch/amazon, so if you have a twitch account you have a... twitch account. I don't remember if you need an account or not to download packs.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

edit

Curse was bought out by twitch/amazon, so if you have a twitch account you have a... twitch account. I don't remember if you need an account or not to download packs.

Nah, I finally got it working. As is the way of things.

best way to solve a problem is to complain about it, then it just magically starts working to spite you.

• Options
    Yeah, this Invasion modpack can go fuck itself.

Had an enemy walk through a glass wall (in a structure I found), and had another one kill me 3 times by striking me with lightning, while i was indoors, on the first night. I'm all for hardcore challenge, but this isnt hardcore, this is just fuck you.

• Options
    Anyone looking for a new Minecraft pack to play should give Farming Valley a shot.

Its basically Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley in Minecraft, Do quests for the harvest goddess, raise crops to earn money and build your town by having your carpenter build blueprints you buy and layout for him.

Only about half way through my first spring and its one of those refreshing and different packs.