As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Time and Gaming

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
The older I get the harder it gets to manage everything I want to play versus the actual amount of time I have.

One thing I noticed with this generation of consoles is that I ended up buying a ton of games I really wanted to play ... but never did/do. Crackdown sits on my shelf collecting dust, the same thing happened to Battlestations Midway (a GREAT game btw) and Lord of the Rings:BFME. Hell I'm still tempted to go rebuy LOTR:MFME every time I see it used. Only the upcoming release of C&C is the only thing holding me back from doing so ... barely.

With a massive increase in earnings over the past 10 years combined with more responsibilities (family/work), I find myself in the position of having more games than I could ever possibly finish, a lack of time to play them .... and perhaps most ironically of all the insatiable desire to buy more. (the "I'm a collector not a gamer" thread a few months ago sort of struck home ... except I sell games I'm not playing anymore ... so what the fuck does that make me? A consumer whore I guess.)

Anyways we've had threads before on this topic ... I'd like to explore more though how you guys prioritize what's important to play and what's not. How do you guys do it? How do you manage your gaming time and decide "Oh this title is worthy, but this other title is NOT WORTHY!"

Speaking for myself I follow the "Am I playing this?" rule. If a game sits on my shelf for more than a month, it gets sold back. Actions speak louder than words, and I've decided my good intentions cost me too much potential trade in money. =P

Bamelin on

• Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I play games that are fun.

If I don't have fun with a game I buy I sell it.

Simple really.

Don't sell the games you want to play, when a gaming drought hits you have plenty of stuff to play

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know how people tend to stop listening to new music and just keep playing the songs of their youth?

Yeah that's pretty much how I deal with gaming most of the time now. I havent the time to invest in learning new control systems, enemy flight patterns and stuff. I can however, plug in my USB flightstick and kick arse in X-Wing Alliance still, I can still complete Halo on legendary, and conquer the world in Civ etc, so I get all the ego boosting and satisfaction I need from familiar classics.

It makes me sad that there are all these games I'll never master, but I just remember that I'm playing these games for my own enjoyment and not just for the sake of playing the games.

I Throw an occasional new game in the mix once a month or somehing to keep things fresh, but generally its games from a few years back that I'll go back to again and again.

Now I'm off to play Impossible Mission while I listen to Springstein on my walkman.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I play games that are fun.

If I don't have fun with a game I buy I sell it.

Simple really.

Don't sell the games you want to play, when a gaming drought hits you have plenty of stuff to play

Same here, I don't understand the crowd that buys a game and for some reason doesn't like it, then lets it gather dust on a shelf instead of trading it in on something better.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a list of titles that I cycle out for each console. For example, TP is on hold for the Wii right now as I'm playing through Super Paper Mario. God of War II was just replaced by a trip through Ratchet and Clank. Gears of War is begging for mercy, but I won't let it out.

It's all about discipline people.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • AegiesAegies Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Try managing school, 2 jobs, a girlfriend, and a website. I feel your pain, I assure you. But video games are my primary hobby (aside from art and writing), and I find them rewarding enough to make time. But my website partners and I definitely have conversations about how we feel guilty for neglecting games like they're pets we don't spend time with.

Oh shit. Where's my cat.

Aegies on
    eat. sleep. game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bamelin you're taking the words right out of my mouth.

I'm almost 31, my wife and I are trying to raise a baby boy, pay the bills, and increase our earning potential so that we can pay a gazillion dollars for college in 18 years.

All that said I am still the most passionate gamer I know out of all my immediate offline friends and I sometimes wonder how I manage to game as much as I do.

It's not like I just like playing games... I fucking love the industry... I'm a huge fan of this particular form of interractive entertainment and it fucking consumes me. I can't explain it.

Now to the point: How do I choose which game I'm going to play that night? Oh man... the other night I literally found myself squatting in front of my pretty small library and nothing... not even GH2 was saying "play me! I will satisfy your need for engaging and joyful entertainment!".

I ended up looking for arcade achievements that I wanted and played some Mrs. Pac Man, Galaga, and Paper Boy.

My friend thinks I'm crazy for not focusing on one title, then moving on.

I just have to recognize that I have some sort of *want* to play some title.... and that really is OK. Even if I've paid $30 for Shivering Isles recently and only played 30 minutes of it I know that one day it will be there for me.

I've typed a lot... and haven't said much... but ya... I'm older, my family thinks I'm a bit childish for not putting away childish things but I know they are wrong for thinking so, but I know that I'm satisfying the corner of my brain that would go crazy without games.

My best advice is to let go and do what you like.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

It's not like I just like playing games... I fucking love the industry... I'm a huge fan of this particular form of interractive entertainment and it fucking consumes me. I can't explain it.

I've gotten more interested in the industry as I've gotten older in part because it's almost like watching a great sports match. A bloody sport match.

Nintendo with an E3 uppercut, 360 with solid Community based blows to the body, and Sony with the PR dodge and weave (who am I kidding lately they are getting the shit kicked out of them)

Bottom line, for me monitoring the feeds and watching the elbowing and jostling for position in the gaming industry and then commenting on these antics via 360Arcadians Live! is as interesting to me as gaming itself.

Bamelin on
  • RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm 31 and I can track how my gaming habits have changed over the years.

When I was little, I was at the mercy of my parent's money and played whatever I could get my hands on. I didn't own many games as I mostly just rented them on friday and spent the weekend playing the shit out of them to get the most out a two or three day rental.

When I became a teenager, had a job and some money to spend on games, I found myself spending a considerable portion of time playing. Since my preferred genre in the days of SNES/Genesis were RPGs, I would often play until my body forced me to shut down and get some sleep or eat something. I clearly recall the days of Phantasy Star 2 and Shining Force where I would ignore essential body functions in order to progress though the game. I ate when I absolutely needed to and I would sleep only a few hours at a time. This continued into my early twenties but tapered off considerably in my late teens when I actually carried on some kind of social life that involved drug use instead of video games.

Things have changed since I got married, got a real job and began planning for the baby that is coming in August. My priorities have changed, obviously, but at some point, so did my gaming habits. I began to put less emphasis on games that required a lot of time spent learning complicated controller moves and opt more these days for a streamlined fun factor. Since I only have a weekly total of bwteen 9 and 12 hours to game, I just can't put the kind of time in that I used to. I also don't have the attention span to juggle games like I used to. Today, I'll play one game at a time until I burn it out or something else comes along that I really want to play. Games that I'm no longer playing, I trade for a new title. I also won't buy a game that doesn't have either a long single player campaign or something to keep me coming back such as strong multiplayer. For example, recent games that have held my attention big time are Guitar Hero 2, Oblivion and Gears of War.

Since I don't have the time or money that I used to, I've had to find brand loyalty in a single platform. Obviously, as noted above, it's the XBox.

This is just me, though. While I balance a mortgage, bills, overtime at work, a relationship with my wife and so on, I have friends around my age that haven't changed their habits and their personal lives reflect this.
    Bamelin wrote: »

I've gotten more interested in the industry as I've gotten older in part because it's almost like watching a great sports match. A bloody sport match.

Nintendo with an E3 uppercut, 360 with solid Community based blows to the body, and Sony with the PR dodge and weave (who am I kidding lately they are getting the shit kicked out of them)

Bottom line, for me monitoring the feeds and watching the elbowing and jostling for position in the gaming industry and then commenting on these antics via 360Arcadians Live! is as interesting to me as gaming itself.
    This is actually something I completely neglected to comment on. I've become this way, too. I love following game news. The latest generation of consoles provided some downright nerdy drama with all the surprise twists and turns as they rolled out their new consoles. I actually thrilled to all the news that came out of E3 and found myself taking a Red Sox/Yankees approach to Microsoft/Sony as I adopted a "Suck it, Sony" attitude when all the ridiculous console bullshit started to trickle down. The introduction of the Wii practically got me high and this recent dry spell of games has left me jonesing. While I can't really afford to own more than one console anymore, I still bought a Wii back at Christmas and thrilled to Zelda and Wario Ware while turning my own and my wife's family on to Wii sports. My mom asks me if I brought the Wii every time I go over for dinner.

RapscallionJones on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm just like you OP I'm low 30s and have a tons of games collecting dust. I dont sell them because I WANT to play them. But some more awesome game comes out and puts the other to the wayside. Okami is a prime example. Sitting there and I know its good.

I've found that the 360 has really helped me though. It's not nearly as popular as the PS2 (and never will be) so a great game isnt coming out every other day. And achievement points, love them or hate them, keeps me on a game a lot longer than it would otherwise.

and the cheaper arcade games let me collect while not busting up my wallet too much.

so I've gotten better. Battlestations: M is a great game you are right. But I only use it as a single player game 8-)

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
    edited April 2007
    Ya it really is like watching sports... you yell at the screen when Sony realeases those crazy ads... "WTF are you doing?!?!" Then cheer for underdogs like Puzzle Quest when they get crazy media attention.

I listen to all the podcasts, have all the feeds... and it's still not enough sometimes.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aegies wrote: »
    Try managing school, 2 jobs, a girlfriend, and a website. I feel your pain, I assure you. But video games are my primary hobby (aside from art and writing), and I find them rewarding enough to make time. But my website partners and I definitely have conversations about how we feel guilty for neglecting games like they're pets we don't spend time with.

Oh shit. Where's my cat.

I read that as
    try managing school, job, 2 girlfirneds, and a website

Now I dont have as much admiration for you as I did 10 seconds ago.

But yeah I feel everyone's pain. Between a career, the gym and trying to learn to program, my gaming time is dead. Maybe 1-2 hours of an MMO a couple times a week, then catching some downtime with my DS.

solsovly on
    edited April 2007
    I would definately have to say that for me time has become a major issue. I still love complicated games, but they need to be something I can do in 20 minute doses in case my wife needs me.

For example I really enjoyed the Shadowrun beta because the game can be played in short spurts but is far more complex than your average FPS. On the other hand Battlestations Midway while also complex, it required a time committment of at least an hour or more per Multiplayer match ... and this was something I find I don't always have.

Bamelin on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    As a 23 year old Business Analyst, I usually come home at 6 and have an hour to myself to eat dinner and then have the rest to do whatever. I mostly game for 2 to 3 hours depending on what I feel like.

I choose games based on my Genre of choice, JRPG's/SRPG's. I plan to play every game I have regardless of what reviewers or people thought. I have a huge backlog that I plan to finish and I usually buy games that I pre-ordered or find in my local EBGames store or wherever.

Granted I haven't finished much, but I do enjoy the genre and plan to play the games till I die.

Katchem_ash on
    edited April 2007
    As a 23 year old Business Analyst, I usually come home at 6 and have an hour to myself to eat dinner and then have the rest to do whatever. I mostly game for 2 to 3 hours depending on what I feel like.

I choose games based on my Genre of choice, JRPG's/SRPG's. I plan to play every game I have regardless of what reviewers or people thought. I have a huge backlog that I plan to finish and I usually buy games that I pre-ordered or find in my local EBGames store or wherever.

Granted I haven't finished much, but I do enjoy the genre and plan to play the games till I die.

This is how I used to game in my early 20's. Now that I'm married however I have to divide my evenings between my spouse and my mistresses (PC and 360). I really appreciate games I can play in both long or short spurts. FPS style games are great for this because you can have a couple short matches or an epic multi match evening.

Bamelin on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I have a list of titles that I cycle out for each console. For example, TP is on hold for the Wii right now as I'm playing through Super Paper Mario. God of War II was just replaced by a trip through Ratchet and Clank. Gears of War is begging for mercy, but I won't let it out.

It's all about discipline people.
    I've found that I work best if I stagger my types of games; like right now I'm working on Super Paper Mario (RPG/platformer), Twilight Princess (action/puzzle-dungeons), God of War II (balls-out action), EBA (rhythm) and Puzzle Quest (puzzle). I'm also trying Killzone Liberation (isometric action) but I don't really have my heart into it. If I have too much of an overlap, I tend to get my games languish -- like when I tried to play DMC3 and God of War at the same time. Shadow of the Colossus was shelved for ages until I was in the right mood and had enough time to really devote myself to it, and I'm glad I waited as I did because picking at that game in 30-minute chunks would have killed me.
    Now to the point: How do I choose which game I'm going to play that night? Oh man... the other night I literally found myself squatting in front of my pretty small library and nothing... not even GH2 was saying "play me! I will satisfy your need for engaging and joyful entertainment!".
    Oh Christ, I do the same exact thing, right down to the squatting, DVD case sprawled out before me, scratching my head and thinking, "Hmmm...." and then typically not playing anything. Choice paralysis and all that.
    Bamelin wrote:
    Anyways we've had threads before on this topic ... I'd like to explore more though how you guys prioritize what's important to play and what's not. How do you guys do it? How do you manage your gaming time and decide "Oh this title is worthy, but this other title is NOT WORTHY!"

Speaking for myself I follow the "Am I playing this?" rule. If a game sits on my shelf for more than a month, it gets sold back. Actions speak louder than words, and I've decided my good intentions cost me too much potential trade in money. =P
    I'm quick to jettison titles I'm not playing, too. I used to hoard everything but then my freshman year of college I needed some cash and realized I was more of a collector than a gamer, so I sold off about $800 worth of pre-PS2-era stuff to pay for Christmas, some extra bills and 4-5 GC games. Even now, if a title doesn't really grab me, I use eBay or GameTZ to swap/sell the title, even if I lose 10 bucks (I consider it an extended rental fee).

My personal solution has been to focus a lot more on handheld gaming, since I have a daily bus commute, but I've also pretty much sworn off of console RPGs entirely, even though I like them, because I don't have the devoted TV time anymore (would rather spend time doing something with the wife). And PSP/DS gaming while on the john is the best way to spend company time!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • BigSpaceMonkeyBigSpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I view gaming as a total and almost complete waste of time with little to no benefit for real life.

That being said, right now, my idea of a perfect day would be a clear sunny day in the low 70s and doing nothing but playing my 360 eating/drinking/bathroom breaks with no interruptions from anyone.

Also I'm 26 and have a full-time job and part-time grad school student.

Up until last week I hadn't played anything for 3 months. *Curse you responsibilities of being an adult*

*sigh* I wish I had more time so I could do more stuff.

BigSpaceMonkey on
    edited April 2007
    I think I have a responsibility to keep my mind sharp and gaming seems to do that. The programs I create at work draw on a lot of those creative problem solving skills I got from gaming.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    These days I find myself getting rid of a game if it isn't fun for me. I'm not looking for insane difficulty or a great challenge. If a game is giving me more stress than it relieves I just won't play it anymore. Unfortunately, it seems like most games put out these days are for the "hardcore" crowd that wants to suffer for their game. I call these people "game masochists" btw. I want a nice, fun, easy game that I can entertain myself with not some way to reaffirm my self worth or something.

vhzod on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    vhzod wrote: »
    These days I find myself getting rid of a game if it isn't fun for me. I'm not looking for insane difficulty or a great challenge. If a game is giving me more stress than it relieves I just won't play it anymore. Unfortunately, it seems like most games put out these days are for the "hardcore" crowd that wants to suffer for their game. I call these people "game masochists" btw. I want a nice, fun, easy game that I can entertain myself with not some way to reaffirm my self worth or something.

So drop the games down to easy.

yalborap on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

stop-posting.gif

Anyway, being between high school and college and not having a job yet (except for writing for a website, but that doesn't eat up a lot of time) has been good to my gaming career, I can basically play as much as I want. I'm not sure what to expect when I go to college though, I've heard lots of people say they game all day, and lots say they pretty much stopped altogether.

bruin on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a full time job and spend a lot of time with friends.. I now have a Wii, PS2, GBA, and DSLite. Between the great PS2 games, GCN games, Wii games, DS games, and GBA games that are or are coming out, I can't find the time to play all of the ones I want. Hell, I hardly have time to play the ones I already own.

It's tough.

slash000 on
  • RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have the same issue. After moving out, finishing school and getting a job and getting married my free time has become limited. I have come to realize that the only way to have time for things I like to do is to actually manage time and think about how I use it. My solutions:

-No bringing work back to home. Work is work, free time is mine.

-Setting priorities. Sure, games don´t rank up at the top, but I enjoy my hobby so if necessary, I can move something that ranks less to make game time.

-Full use of all free time. I sit in the train for two hours every day. That´s when my handhelds come in handy.

-Split homework. I know what I´m supposed to do at home, I don´t need to worry about what my husband is supposed to do.

-Getting rid of time-wasters. In other words, I no longer have a TV. How much time do you spend watching TV even if you don´t really enjoy what´s on? Then why not do something that you will enjoy?

-Thinking about where the time goes. It´s amazing how much time you can waste just surfing the Net.

I think getting the TV out and having a projector instead, plus starting to watch the time I spend online, did the biggest difference for me.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I spend alot of time online too. I really find though the internet has really provided me with contact with alot of people I would otherwise have not known and a unique perspective only shared by internet dwellers.

Bamelin on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cutting out TV has been a big time saver for me, too, ever since I left high school. Now that shows are going online I can just watch the very few I want to watch when my schedule is best for it, and otherwise I don't even touch it. I actually haven't even owned a TV in a couple years, although roommates still keep one or two around. I suppose it'd help if I mentioned I'm a PC gamer, MMOs and such. Haven't owned a console in years either.

I'm definitly a "buy one game and play the fuck out of it" sort. For example, I want C&C 3, but my sister recently talked me into having some interest for WoW. I know I don't have time to play both. WoW was cheaper, and I could play with people I know, so I'm sticking with that til it no longer interests me, which could be a while. Hell, I've been practically married to CoH for almost 3 years now, I could count the number of other games I've bought in those 3 years on one hand.

Scooter on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Right noiw, I';m buying games faster than I can play them.
    I do this in the knowledge that I won;t be able to afford the next-gen for quite a while, so am confident my mounting PS2 backlog shpould tide me over for the next year, hopefully.

Xagarath on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just realized...

During weekdays, I'm at work most of the time, I come home and I'm tired and I eat. I have a little bit of time at night to play games. Not much though...

During weekends, I spend almost all my time with friends/family. I get almost zero time playing games on weekends.

Now that I have a wii/gcn/ps2/ds/gba, there are way, way, way too many games that I want to buy and play that I have any time to do so. Hell I've been cutting back on my game-buying, but I still have 2 ds games, 9 GCN games, about 12 PS2, 2 gba games, and 2 wii games that I haven't gotten totally through yet.

I just have no time and it sucks because I love gaming so much.

slash000 on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really find gaming culture interesting. It's one of the reason this site is good because it's everyone's opinion on all the games (also why I find Joystiq interesting because they are kinda bias but still report most things).

I still really want to finish Splinter Cell DA I think I've just finsihed the cruise ship mission and the JLA headquaters after where you know what happens and I really want to know what happens next. But since then I've bought Gears, and I've bough DOA4, PGR3 and GHII.

Now I got PGR3 and DOA4 for about 20 dollars australian each which is silly cheap and I've played multiplayer of it but really haven't explored the single player of those two.

I probably only manage less than 10 hours a week total on game though. I have been finding though that with Guitar Hero in the morning before work I'll have time to bust out a song as I only need five minutes to do that, which I really enjoy.

I keep wanting to go back to my Gamecube though I've been wanting to play Metroid Prime again for weeks but just haven't gotten round to booting the thing up.

It's strange though, I think I'm considered the "gamer" of my group but I probably play games the least amount of everyone it's more since I have such an interest in the culture I seem to have a general knowledge about most games. (That and when it's three on one in PDZ and the first team to one hundred I only lost by ten kills so I may actually be better than them as well)

Blake T on