Options

[Wrestling] Let me take a selfie

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    The Ryback can be fun, and he seems like a really funny guy, but he should never be near a title. Maybe tag titles. Maybe.

I'll say this for the big guy... It really seemed like everyone loved chanting Feed Me More at Smackdown.

How was Smackdown by the way?

People like chanting things. It's why they were able to pretend for so long that the Yes! chant was over, not Bryan.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    i could totally see the ryback as the top guy

he's charismatic and about at the level of an ultimate warrior or hulk hogan

now how long he could stay there is a whole different story
    I mean if Hogan and Warrior were active today I'd feel the same about them too

"strong meathead that yells a lot and is excitable" doesn't do much for me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Admittedly he was injured for a decent portion of it but considering the highlight of his recent IC Title run was dropping the belt to Kevin Owens I'd rather not see him with the big belt.

Like I know I personally don't dig Ryback but even putting aside my own views of his character I just don't think he's very good on the mic or in the ring. Not terrible at either, too, but not someone who should be the Champ.

I mean, The Ryback had to spend the majority of his IC Title run feuding with Big Show. You can't put that level of suck on The Ryback.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the big show should have retired after feuding with the big boss man because nothing he could've ever done afterwards was gonna be as good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Admittedly he was injured for a decent portion of it but considering the highlight of his recent IC Title run was dropping the belt to Kevin Owens I'd rather not see him with the big belt.

Like I know I personally don't dig Ryback but even putting aside my own views of his character I just don't think he's very good on the mic or in the ring. Not terrible at either, too, but not someone who should be the Champ.

He has his moments on the mic, but he would have to SO much better to overcome his glaring deficiencies between the ropes. He's competent and powerful and that's about it.

I feel like, if he's around for another decade or so, he'll be fondly remember at about the same level as Kane. Someone who could have some shining character moments, look scary from time to time, and win a few titles (even a world title), but who's in-ring work is just plain old passable 99% of the time. I mean, I love Kane the persona, especially his recent overly jovial Director of Operations character twist. But I cannot think of a "classic" Kane match where I remember his in-ring abilities blowing me away. Which is fine. He doesn't have to be a killer wrestler to deserve a job, a title or even a Hall of Fame spot one day.

But Ryback is on roughly the same ground ring-wise and is far below persona/mic-wise and he wants to be John Cena 2.0. There is a massive gap between "I can wrestle decent matches and keep my co-workers safe while doing so" and John Cena level superstardom. Ryback as World champion one day? Sure. Ryback as the next company carrying superstar? Nah. Not seeing it.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2015 was pretty great overall. I'll be getting their newest release Greatest Rivals Round Robin that features Biff Busicks last indy matches. The whole card looks excellent
    1. Biff Busick vs. Drew Gulak
    2. Eddie Edwards vs. Timothy Thatcher
    3. David Starr vs. Rory Gulak
    4. AR Fox vs. Brian Fury
    5. Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher
    6. Eddie Edwards vs. Drew Gulak
    7. Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee vs. Team Tremendous
    8. JT Dunn vs. Ricochet
    9. Drew Gulak vs. Timothy Thatcher
    10. Biff Busick vs. Eddie Edwards

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    they need to let the ryback be a bit of a goofball instead of super serious and intense

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

I mean, The Ryback had to spend the majority of his IC Title run feuding with Big Show. You can't put that level of suck on The Ryback.
    This is totally fair, woe be to anyone caught in a Big Show feud.

But I honestly can't think of the last Ryback match that was super great to me? Again, I admit I'm totally biased against him but the closest I can think of is Ryback/Owens at NoC and that's mostly because of the story Owens was telling about trying to take out Ryback's arms and when that didn't work just saying fuck it and cheating.

Am I forgetting anything from the past few months or so?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    the need to let the ryback be a bit of a goofball instead of super serious and intense
    This would definitely help. He seems perfectly likeable and goofy as an actual dude but all he does is talk about the Secret every few months and chant Feed Me More and talk about how tough he is.

Having him be a bit goofier or pairing him with a goofy manager would be very welcome.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I thought the Ryback/Heyman pairing worked way better than when they did Cesaro/Heyman.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Was Ryback/Heyman alongside Brock/Heyman? I remember Heyman talking about how he felt the Cesaro pairing failed because Brock was so white hot coming off of ending the Streak so anything he did with Cesaro just felt like second fiddle to the main attraction, which wasn't Cesaro's fault.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Or maybe (and I know this is insane) reform Rybaxel since it was the last genuinely entertaining thing he did. He was allowed to be the powerhouse of the group as well as be super goofy with his best buddy.

It's an easy fix, too. Have him lose to Kevin Owens for the title one last time or just have him lose to anyone else in the IC title picture. Backstage, his old buddy The Axe Man reappears to console him backstage. But he also presents an idea for Ryback to think on: Reform Rybaxel.

They even said they would eventually get back together when they broke up. It's so easy to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBYZetmb5k

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Shoemaker did an Article about the "Next Guy" to replace Cena while he's out.

His top contender is Sasha Banks.

I do not disagree.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    while I don't think he could be Cena 2 I also don't begrudge any wrestler seeing themselves as capable of selling tickets better than the folks around them. especially one that read the secret.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I liked Shoemaker's article, but Sami Zayn feels like the obvious Cena replacement on a one-to-one scale, especially with Kevin Owens as his Randy Orton, except the matches wouldn't get boring.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Sami Zayn is definitely a good choice. I cannot wait to see him on the main roster.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    W-O wrote:
    WWE Champion Seth Rollins, Wade Barrett, and Ryback are going to host one-hour workout sessions for fans in the United Kingdom next month. Yes, you read that right. You can buy tickets on Ticketmaster.co.uk by searching ‘A Unique Training Experience With WWE’. If anyone reading this attends the event(s), we want a full recap.

Somebody please go to this.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think the key part of being a John Cena or being a Hulk Hogan or being a Steve Austin isn't that, you know, you get the fans behind you and you win a bunch of titles. The key to being the top guy is that what you do defines what everyone else is doing, I think. Hogan was the avatar of that huge, larger than life period in the company, where everyone was huge and the stories were simple. Austin was the driving force of the Attitude Era, really. He's the one who kind of forced the WWE's hand on switching to a more...let's say morally grey way of doing things, to be charitable. And Cena's reign has kind of rode the middle of those two eras, and it's been basically defined by the friction his reign has caused with older fans, and how they've been increasingly forced to react to fan complaints and revolts (I mean, we can talk about how complaining doesn't affect how they book, but they had a bunch of Daniel Bryan fans storm a ring in protest in a storyline, so they have, conclusively, acknowledged it).

So I dunno. I don't think that you can really point at a guy and say, "yeah, that's him, that's the Next Guy. I mean, they pretty clearly want it to be Reigns, but...I think his ceiling is probably around Orton's level. Which is pretty great! I mean, if we're talking NEXT CENA, and we're thinking, "gets kids to love the shit out of him," it's probably Apollo Crews, you know? I'm sure kids are going to be big fans of Sami, but I think that kids really do like to see huge, musclebound superheroes running around, you know? Especially if they have any sort of charisma.

I could see an argument for Sasha Banks, though. I think maybe they've got a real opportunity to build something really special with the stable of great women wrestlers, and Sasha is young and hungry enough to be the face of that movement. They absolutely have to figure out how to tell those stories on the main roster, and they have to, you know, remember she's there, but yeah, that could be a really interesting thing, to see if they can follow through on what they're building.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just watched the Mick Foley episode of Monday Night War.

Man, it must've been a hell of a thing to watch that dude at the time.

Even just watching the summary of his career, I was pretty impressed by his charisma and storytelling ability.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mick Foley is probably the best person that has been involved with WWE

He's just the greatest dude

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Read all of his books.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You should read his first book if you haven't, it's awesome.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    watching mick foley go from wcw to ecw to wwe is something i don't think i can ever put into words. like, you can watch it in clips and highlights now, but those years, that career was so damn special.

i bawled like a baby when he won that title. because i remembered his feuds with vader and funk. i remembered his time in ecw, when he renounced hardcore. i remembered the string of matches mankind put on to make everyone else look good. it was the perfect culmination of everything.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited October 2015
    also mick foley, daniel bryan, ddp, and sting are like

the only unequivocally good people in wrestling

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I'm so glad I got to tell Stilts the story of Foley's first WWE Championship victory during It's a Work!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    also mick foley, daniel bryan, ddp, and sting are like

the only unequivocally good people in wrestling

I feel like we can put Cena on that list, too.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mick Foley is like my favorite person in the world.

He's the only person I've met in person that honestly had me shaking from excitement.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    One of the most insane things about King of The Ring 98 that no one ever talks about is the fact that after the Hell in Cell, just a few minutes after in face, Mick came back out to do a run in on Austin vs Kane and got beat up.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    @Stilts Here is my Mick Foley related advice. Watch some interviews, watch his comedy segments and him winning the title. Learn to love him.

Then watch his I Quit with the Rock and learn what true pain and sorrow feel like.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't want to post it here, because there's a gnarly surgery scar, but Regal had a laminectomy on Wednesday, according to Twitter. Which...seems like a pretty serious surgery, and judging by what I'm seeing, I would assume it definitely means the end of his in-ring career.

• Options
    Yeah he had an interview about it

He said it was because he was going to train the recruits a bit but I'm guessing he was considering a match at Takeover but while the surgery went well and he feels great he's not going to be doing any work in the ring for the foreseeable future

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I thought his match with Cesaro was his unofficial send-off match, anyway. I didn't realize he was still considering more matches after that.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah he had an interview about it

He said it was because he was going to train the recruits a bit but I'm guessing he was considering a match at Takeover but while the surgery went well and he feels great he's not going to be doing any work in the ring for the foreseeable future

As long as he still does those wonderful bits as manager of NXT, I'm okay with that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Oh yeah, absolutely

He should be GM of NXT forever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    but Reigns has more than 3 moves

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    but Reigns has more than 3 moves
    wikipedia wrote:

Finishing moves
    As Roman Reigns
    Moment of Silence[140] (NXT) / Back suplex side slam[141][142][143][144] (WWE); used as a signature move in WWE
    Spear[145][146][147]
    As Leakee
    Checkmate (Spinning bulldog)[148][149][150]

Signature moves
    Drive-By (Running front dropkick from the floor to the head of an opponent draped over the bottom rope)[143][145][146]
    Exploder suplex
    Headbutt
    Leaping clothesline[145]
    Multiple corner clotheslines[151][152][153][154]
    Samoan drop[145]
    Sitout powerbomb
    Superman punch, with theatrics; sometimes in mid-air[143][145][155][156]
    Tilt-a-whirl slam[157][158][159][160]
    Throat thrust

Leaping clothesline and corner clotheslines. Your move Nash.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Watching Smackdown. Goddamn I loved that Bray Wyatt opening promo. I am so so soooo into this whole storyline.

Also Kevin is basically the perfect foil for Roman, both in that they put on dope matches together and also they are really diametrically opposed characters and also have the fun meta narrative of Kevin being the Internet darling and Roman being the "casual" fan favorite

Also Roman was good on the mic! Straight to the point, confident and just a little sassy.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.