As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    As someone who has seen quite a lot of Lois&Clarke and Smallville I find it pretty endearing.

They're not gratuitous cameos (like Stan Lee appearing in every marvel stuff ever), but they seem to have a mind for "Hey. We need this part. Can we make this a continuity nod?". Touches which, IMHO, shows that Supergirl is a series made by people who've made an effort to study the franchise and background material. In Supergirls case that ranges from the mainstream (like the episode where Supergirl tries to figure out her Supergirl costume and rejects several versions which are shout outs to previous supergirl costumes) or the Lobo reference to more obscure like the Zook reference.

P.S: I wouldn't mind them casting John Glover as some kind of villain.

Christopher Reeves' cameo in Smallville was really on the nose, in contrast one of their best was Terrance Stamp as the voice of Jor-El.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I know it's a dumb little thing, but I just watched Homecoming and was pretty glad to see some small acknowledgement that Maxwell Lord was a major player in season 1.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Going back a fewmeps, did the cyborg Superman thing seem out of place to anyone else? In the comics, he actually looks like Superman and tried to pass himself off as Superman. This just seemso like some guy who decided idea to steal the name.

Also, I want to like Kevin Sorbo, but finding out his Trumperism really turned me off to him.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Going back a fewmeps, did the cyborg Superman thing seem out of place to anyone else? In the comics, he actually looks like Superman and tried to pass himself off as Superman. This just seemso like some guy who decided idea to steal the name.

Also, I want to like Kevin Sorbo, but finding out his Trumperism really turned me off to him.

It definitely seemed out of place to have him name himself Cyborg Superman.
    Just because that's an incredibly clunky and goofy sounding name for a person who's supposed to be a threat. Try saying it outloud and sounding menacing.

I think if they had Wynn or one of the other hero characters name him as Cyborg Superman in a mocking way ("You're trying to save the world from the likes of Superman? What are you but a cheap knockoff? A Cyborg Superman?" kind of thing) it would have worked better. Just have him shrug and say it's as good a name as any, then go back to kicking ass and/or taking names.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm about 10 minutes in.

Why the heck would a museum with Van Gough's on full display have no one working security?

1983-07-10.gif

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm about 10 minutes in.

Why the heck would a museum with Van Gough's on full display have no one working security?
    Maybe they've realised they're in a world where security is meaningless. Superheroes catch regular criminals, and anyone who's capable of dealing with a superhero is just going to kill whatever security you put in their way.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Good lord Melissa Benoist is great casting as Supergirl; that entire opening scene was adorable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm about 10 minutes in.

Maybe they've realised they're in a world where security is meaningless. Superheroes catch regular criminals, and anyone who's capable of dealing with a superhero is just going to kill whatever security you put in their way.

Makes sense, just make sure the alarm notifies your local caped vigilante and you save a bunch of money on hiring guards.
    I'm more curious as to the physics that make an alien race invisible to cameras, while letting them remain visible to the naked eye.

Wynn's girlfriend:
    Anyone else disappointed that they went with the "Sorry Nerdy Tech Guy, your hot alien girlfriend is just using you for her own nefarious purposes" shtick?
    Sure, it looks like the writers tried to turn it around at the end with them trying to keep the relationship going, but it seems like a pretty lousy trope to use.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm more curious as to the physics that make an alien race invisible to cameras, while letting them remain visible to the naked eye.
    Eh, when you're dealing with a series where aliens can fly without even the thinnest explanation as to how, I just take this kind of thing in stride.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Oh good. Kara-Zor-Racist is back.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Schrodinger on
  • Options
    I guess Melissa realized that getting married to her love interest from Glee was a mistake.
    Is now dating her love interest from Supergirl:

http://www.etonline.com/news/213344_melissa_benoist_and_chris_wood_are_a_couple/

I guess that means that Cat Grant's son has no chance of taking over the empire now.

• Options
    sig.gif
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Bah
    Anyone else disappointed that there wasn't a reference to Lobo?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    And once again
    we are reminded that President Marston (lulz) is an alien. I thought it was amusing that Hercules was the 'good' parent here, and it ended the way I figured.

But seriously, no one is going to mention how Maggie's Ex looks like Alex?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Good lord Melissa Benoist is great casting as Supergirl

Yes.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kara is serious about her
    Settlers of Catan. They kept that game on the table even after the bounty hunter interrupted.

Also Alex & Maggie are still the cutest.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The only personal gripes I still have with this show is how under powered they are making Mon-El. But I hope that goes away eventually.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The only personal gripes I still have with this show is how under powered they are making Mon-El. But I hope that goes away eventually.

They actually made a point to show that he has powered up a bit:
    Mon el comments on how fast Kara is, and then at the end of the episode he super speeds to her defense. Its possible his being under powered is actually mental.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    MagicPrime wrote: »

They actually made a point to show that he has powered up a bit:
    Mon el comments on how fast Kara is, and then at the end of the episode he super speeds to her defense. Its possible his being under powered is actually mental.

I hope that's the case. I wonder/hope if and when Mon-El gets a costume if it will be the Black T-Shirt Red S, since I am thinking Mon is the series "Superboy."

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    I assume that Mon-El is underpowered because it takes time for his body to adapt to the new sun.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That was the weirdest iZombie espiode ever.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    skeldare wrote: »
    That was the weirdest iZombie espiode ever.

Yeahhhh, I know that the CW loves their comic crossovers, but it is super weird that they have that much of a paradigm shift for iZombie in a different show.
    RIP Ravi.

I thought they shut down Max Rager, but this Biomax Rager is like a whole different product.

But seriously.
    They are telegraphing Lena's villain turn very hard, but it's certainly not giving the SuperCorp shippers less to work with. They were perhaps ten seconds from desperately making out at the end of this episode.

EDIT:

Snapper Carr remains the best.
    Kara: "I heard Supergirl saved you."
    Snapper: "She was there."
    Kara: "Did you say, 'Thank you?'"
    Snapper: "Once, to my divorce attorney. It was uncomfortable for everyone."

ALSO:

Say, Winn...
    In a town with a lot of anti-alien sentiment, maybe you shouldn't let your alien girlfriend with a super distinctive face go around beating up humans. Or, at least, you know, get her a mask or a hood or a scarf or something.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I just got around to watching the latest episode...and holy crap, I don't think I've gotten this frustrated with a show in a long time. Can somebody please explain to me two things:
    1) When it became obvious that Alex was doomed, why couldn't J'onn rip Alex's location out of Rick's memory? I know he said that he couldn't read Rick's mind because he's "blocking" J'onn...but given that the episode ends with J'onn removing specific memories, that's not exactly consistent.
    And 2) when the stakes are "Release this person who I am emotionally connected with or I kill person you are emotionally connected with" and the death-wheels of the machine that are going to kill the hostage are already in motion, why did nobody (and I'm talking specifically about Maggie here...cuz I'm not sure if Kara would go down the path of Injustice here) say "If she dies, your dad dies too"?

And a personal observation:
    Holy shit...I absolutely loathed the whole damseling of Alex. Throughout the episode, I was saying to myself "They wouldn't possibly kill off Alex!" and then I had to catch myself with the realization of "Oh wait...this is now on the CW. Well'p...if she dies, I'm done with the show." It's shit like that that turned me off of Arrow mid-way through season 2.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, I just got around to watching the latest episode...and holy crap, I don't think I've gotten this frustrated with a show in a long time. Can somebody please explain to me two things:
    1) When it became obvious that Alex was doomed, why couldn't J'onn rip Alex's location out of Rick's memory? I know he said that he couldn't read Rick's mind because he's "blocking" J'onn...but given that the episode ends with J'onn removing specific memories, that's not exactly consistent.
    And 2) when the stakes are "Release this person who I am emotionally connected with or I kill person you are emotionally connected with" and the death-wheels of the machine that are going to kill the hostage are already in motion, why did nobody (and I'm talking specifically about Maggie here...cuz I'm not sure if Kara would go down the path of Injustice here) say "If she dies, your dad dies too"?

Holy shit...I absolutely loathed the whole damseling of Alex. Throughout the episode, I was saying to myself "They wouldn't possibly kill off Alex!" and then I had to catch myself with the realization of "Oh wait...this is now on the CW. Well'p...if she dies, I'm done with the show." It's shit like that that turned me off of Arrow mid-way through season 2.
    J'onn's telepathy is always breaking down, or blocked, or being overwhelmed by the mental something or other because otherwise he'd be able to wrap up 60/70% of plots before the first ad break, same as the transporters on Star Trek not being able to get through the local atmospheric interference because of the main deflector warp field something.
    And threatening to murder someone doesn't have much weight if the person issuing the threat is Supergirl, or associated with Supergirl because then Supergirl would be expected to stop them.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

J'onn's telepathy is always breaking down, or blocked, or being overwhelmed by the mental something or other because otherwise he'd be able to wrap up 60/70% of plots before the first ad break, same as the transporters on Star Trek not being able to get through the local atmospheric interference because of the main deflector warp field something.
    And threatening to murder someone doesn't have much weight if the person issuing the threat is Supergirl, or associated with Supergirl because then Supergirl would be expected to stop them.

Which is why I was thinking one particular character could possibly get away with doing it. The funny part is...
    Even Rick stumbles across how Maggie could do it: "You're a cop...you can just walk right in the front door." Yeah, guess what Rick: she's a cop and knows how to avoid the cameras and/or make it look like an accident, you dip-ass! And, to be fair, Kara was gone plenty of times for Maggie to make the threat...especially during the last hour of the countdown.

I guess what it comes down to is that I get irate af and go into hyper-nitpick mode when this kind of plot is used.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    My complaint about it was
    well, other than J'onn's mental acuity changing throughout the episode, is that basically Supergirl undermined Maggie the entire time,
    and backed her into a corner as far as ideas. Then Maggie does the one thing she's forced to do, and Supergirl admonishes her for it.

And then they're friends again.

But really, this episode revealed that Alex wears boxer-briefs and that's pretty much perfect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    For about 20 seconds, I was convinced that the entire situation was just a ruse on Alex's part to bring Kara and Maggie closer together.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Serious question, people. (new episode)
    Where can I find a "Mo Bacon" food truck?

It seems important.

Also, Winn for the win with the technobabble
    Winn wrote:
    Yes, here at the DEO we scan for many things.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Cat Grant.

Oh, how we've missed you so.

• Options
    Lead dust seems like a really dumb idea for a weapon.

Especially when you have these things called bullets, which do not require any form of new equipment and are far more humane/easier to clean up.

Like, good job, Jimmy. You just contaminated your own workspace for all the people who work there. Did the lessons from Flint Michigan teach you nothing?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I love how
    The queen of another world is arguing with the US President, and Cat Grant is like "uhh, excuse me, can the grown up talk now?"
    and Rhea is like "whotf is u?"
    and the Pres is all "my bad Ms Grant"

Also I really love that we just got Calista Flockhart, Teri Hatcher, and fucking Lynda Carter on screen together.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    So am I the only one who thinks that : spoilers from this weeks episode
    They are going do CW Superboy using Lena Luther and Mon Els DNA?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think I saw there is now going to be a Black Lightning show starting, so they're going to run out of nights of the week for their shows if they aren't careful.

They already run out of good writers for them all :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    So the title of next week's episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPq_Z-3o5M

• Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    I think I saw there is now going to be a Black Lightning show starting, so they're going to run out of nights of the week for their shows if they aren't careful.

They already run out of good writers for them all :(

Well I meant introduce a new character.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Ah, my mistake!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, who's baby was that leaving Krypton in an escape pod in the end teaser? They showed the house/family logo but I don't recognize it.