As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    but lena 8'(

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Just caught up thanks to Netflix. Definitely my #2 CW superhero show, maybe #1 if Arrow S5 flubs the landing.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Laura Benanti Exits ‘Supergirl’; CW Recasts Role
    Laura Benanti is saying goodbye to the CW’s “Supergirl.”

“Smallville” alum Erica Durance has been cast to take over Benanti’s role as Alura for the upcoming season. Benanti had played Alura since Season 1, when the show debuted on CBS.

“Unfortunately Laura, who Greg and I have worked with for years going back to ‘Eli Stone,’ was unable to continue in the role due to work commitments in New York,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said. “But we are so blessed that Erica has come aboard to offer her own interpretation of Kara’s mother. We had tremendous success with a former Lois Lane last season with Teri Hatcher. We know Erica will continue the proud tradition of legacy actors joining our shows and creating new and exciting takes on classic DC characters.”

Durance is best known for playing Lois Lane for six years on “Smallville,” and also recently wrapped up five seasons as the star of “Saving Hope.”

“Supergirl” casting has been ramping up ahead of the show’s third season premiere. In May, it was announced that Odette Annable was cast as Reign, the season’s villain.

“Supergirl’s” third season is set to premiere on Monday, Oct. 9 on the CW.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I <3 Erica Durance.

She is my second favorite actress to play Lois Lane ever. Glad the show has her although I hate that it's a recast role as she doesn't really look like Benanti.

I hope that the third season picks up because I really did not enjoy season 2 very much. It was the least enjoyable of the Arrowverse shows last season to me. Legends was my favorite...go figure. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I <3 Erica Durance.

She is my second favorite actress to play Lois Lane ever. Glad the show has her although I hate that it's a recast role as she doesn't really look like Benanti.

I hope that the third season picks up because I really did not enjoy season 2 very much. It was the least enjoyable of the Arrowverse shows last season to me. Legends was my favorite...go figure. :P

Least enjoyable? Not in a set that includes The Flash, a train wreck that crashed into a tire fire.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Arrow>Legends>Supergirl>Flash.

This season, anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So I always kind of shied away from superman stuff because it never really seemed too interesting. Is this show actually good? I didn't hate smallville so maybe I'll like it. It can't possibly be worse than Iron Fist can it?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So I always kind of shied away from superman stuff because it never really seemed too interesting. Is this show actually good? I didn't hate smallville so maybe I'll like it. It can't possibly be worse than Iron Fist can it?

its goofy and well-meaning and sometimes poorly executed and not exactly highbrow but its fun

if you could swallow smallville you can swallow this

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Supergirl is excellent. If you enjoyed Flash or Arrow etc you'll definitely like it. Even if you haven't seen those, I'd recommend giving it a go

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Supergirl definitely has its heart in the right place. Even if they don't always stick the landing I usually appreciate where they were going with the material.

• Options
    Just be warned that the pilot is piloty as fuck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Just be warned that the pilot is piloty as fuck.

yeah its pretty bad. I feel like they should have done it flashback style, because the pace did it no favors (or make sense, really)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    that scene with lena in the first ep made me very sad

EDIT: I SPOKE TOO SOON WE HAVE MAJOR EMOJI DEPLOYMENT

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Reign-sama...

sig.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I hope they plan this wedding with the clear assumption that something will attack it. The only question is what and how.
    "Clark's agreed to fly down and provide cover outside so Kara can be bridesmaid, but we have panic rooms and cover points set up for when she needs to get out there and change costume without anyone noticing."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Nice. They got Carl Lumbly - the voice of Martian Manhunter on the Justice League animated series, to play his father on Supergirl.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/10/23/supergirl-season-3-martian-manhunter-father-carl-lumbly/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Did Supergirl just straight up murder a handful of white martians with a superweapon?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Did Supergirl just straight up murder a handful of white martians with a superweapon?

Y'know...gonna spoiler my whole response.
    It wouldn't be the first time she did something like that.

I had the same reaction in Season 2 when she killed the parasite-infected environmentalist. Was shocking then, still shocking now.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I had the same reaction in Season 2 when she killed the parasite-infected environmentalist. Was shocking then, still shocking now.
    Same here. I first thought that it banished them somewhere then remembered it would just kill them. But they were monstrous aliens and not humans so it doesn't count right?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    B-Plot
    The whole 'kids' thing is going to be why Alex and Maggie don't get married/do get divorced, right?

On the inadvertently hilarious upside, this could be the reason why Alex will get shit-faced drunk on this year's Thanksgiving episode. It's a tradition!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Pleasedon'tkilloffMaggiePleasedon'tkilloffMaggie.

Like, break-up, fine. Has to leave town for a promotion, sure.

I don't want to believe that the Supergirl writers are insane enough to kill off another lesbian in a committed relationship.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Theory
    I think that Maggie will take an assignment in Gotham City where she can meet up with a socialite that has an interesting nightlife, and wackiness will ensue.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Also, something that kind of irritated me about the B-Plot
    "They're building a wall to keep us out. We're rapists and murderers to them."

Sure, because Earth-38's President is totally Donald Trump and not Alien Wonder Woman. I get wanting to be anti-current administration and all, but maybe this particular Earth isn't conducive to that specific claim.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also, something that kind of irritated me about the B-Plot
    "They're building a wall to keep us out. We're rapists and murderers to them."

Sure, because Earth-38's President is totally Donald Trump and not Alien Wonder Woman. I get wanting to be anti-current administration and all, but maybe this particular Earth isn't conducive to that specific claim.

They've been using the speaker of the house as Donald Trump.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    And alien racist senator from the first season was talking about how they should build a dome to keep out the illegal actual aliens.
    The viewpoint's been well established as existing there.

But yeah, it's the general problem of having superpowers and incredible technology, and still wanting to set something in a recognisable 'real' world.
    It's the reason they still have things like energy crisis's and cancer despite the superheroes powering their space stations with fusion power and so on.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I hope they plan this wedding with the clear assumption that something will attack it. The only question is what and how.
    "Clark's agreed to fly down and provide cover outside so Kara can be bridesmaid, but we have panic rooms and cover points set up for when she needs to get out there and change costume without anyone noticing."

Uniformed DEO agents everywhere. Weapon lockers in inconspicuous places.
    Limo? Nope, we're leaving in an APC.
    Other guests? Sure, let's invite Flash, Vibe, Green Arrow and the rest of their crews for the big day. It's just an alternate dimension, shouldn't be too tough for them to get here.
    Maybe the Legends can make time to stop by as well.

And then the wedding goes off just fine. No attacks, no emergencies, not even a mugging just around the corner that half the guest list have to excuse themselves momentarily to deal with. Just an improbably perfectly calm day.
    Not that any of the capes can enjoy it, because they're all aware of what happens when you've got this many heroes in one place. Except for Rory, he'll always enjoy an open bar.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Same here. I first thought that it banished them somewhere then remembered it would just kill them. But they were monstrous aliens and not humans so it doesn't count right?
    She was just talking about saving White Martians and she met a whole bunch of them. And one of her best friends is a green version of those same aliens she killed.

Like, what the fuck?

"Good job, Supergirl!"

*Hugs!*

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    And remember, all White Martians look the same.

"How did you know who to punch?"
    "I didn't."

sig.gif
  • Options
    watching lenas face when supergirl says "he moved away", trying to stifle her disappointment

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    watching lenas face when supergirl says "he moved away", trying to stifle her disappointment

And then the "when are you having kids?" bomb.

That was the awkward girl's night from hell, wasn't it?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    That was a really interesting episode.

• Options
    I wonder how many people worship Superman...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So Alex may be getting a new romantic interest.
    22351740_124156431625591_2681568440484888576_n.jpg

• Options
    It's not cheating if it's on another Earth. Everyone knows that.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It's not cheating if it's on another Earth. Everyone knows that.
    What happens on Earth 1 stays on Earth 1?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Sarah Lance
    just completely James Bond-ing her way through the female population of the Arrowverse is my favorite trope.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Sarah Lance
    just completely James Bond-ing her way through the female population of the Arrowverse is my favorite trope.
    Sooner or later she's going to meet her counterpart from another Earth, and we all know what happens then.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Wow, did not expect a Supergirl episode of all things to bring tears to my eyes. But them feels, yo!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    I wonder how many people worship Superman...

Just Jimmy.