As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So when did they add the line "I'm a refugee on this planet" to the intro? Gee, I can't imagine what that must be referring to.

In other news, Dean Cain is still a huge Trump backer.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So when did they add the line "I'm a refugee on this planet" to the intro? Gee, I can't imagine what that must be referring to.

Looks like last week's episode.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Yup. And remember, Supergirl's penultimate episode, and season finale last year were titled "Resist" and "Nevertheless, She Persisted", respectively. It has not even remotely shied away from taking a big, bold fucking progressive stance about basically everything. Which is exactly what a Super___ show should be doing.

It actually makes me loooooove the scenes with Dean Cain because I secretly hope this absolutely boils his blood, but he knows it's the best paycheck he'll see this decade.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm not a religious person, but I don't like how the show had that religious guy go to such extremes. Why can't he just have a quiet little religious center in a worn-down building where Kara goes to once every few months to feel nostalgic and/or get back in touch with Kryptonian culture.

The problem, I think, is that the show was tackling multiple related but separate issues. The episode was about faith, but it was also about the sci-fi question of "Would people worship someone with the powers of a god as an actual god?" Then there's the issue of religion. In the show, Supergirl used to worship Rao back on her home planet. Not just a religion; an organized religion. The worship of Rao had traditions and ceremonies and stuff, which seems cult-y in our eyes but was perfectly normal in Kryptonian society.

I can kind of see how the writers got to the point where the religious guy was setting off a bomb. It's topical, sort of, and they needed to work within the limitations of the show. Which is to say, the show needs to have action and Supergirl saving people. The result, unfortunately, is that the religious guy ended up sort of cartoonish and that the above-mentioned issues were painted with a broad brush, culminating in "Dem cultist be crazy."

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I'm not a religious person, but I don't like how the show had that religious guy go to such extremes. Why can't he just have a quiet little religious center in a worn-down building where Kara goes to once every few months to feel nostalgic and/or get back in touch with Kryptonian culture.

The problem, I think, is that the show was tackling multiple related but separate issues. The episode was about faith, but it was also about the sci-fi question of "Would people worship someone with the powers of a god as an actual god?" Then there's the issue of religion. In the show, Supergirl used to worship Rao back on her home planet. Not just a religion; an organized religion. The worship of Rao had traditions and ceremonies and stuff, which seems cult-y in our eyes but was perfectly normal in Kryptonian society.

I can kind of see how the writers got to the point where the religious guy was setting off a bomb. It's topical, sort of, and they needed to work within the limitations of the show. Which is to say, the show needs to have action and Supergirl saving people. The result, unfortunately, is that the religious guy ended up sort of cartoonish and that the above-mentioned issues were painted with a broad brush, culminating in "Dem cultist be crazy."

Cultists are crazy. You're right that the show should put an emphasis that not everyone who is religious or devout is a crazy person, but there are many dangerous religious people in our own reality.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Cultists are crazy. You're right that the show should put an emphasis that not everyone who is religious or devout is a crazy person, but there are many dangerous religious people in our own reality.

Sure, but I think people are labeled cultists based on how crazy they are. If they were less crazy, they wouldn't be cultists. I think the worship of Rao (or is Roa?) can exist perfectly fine next to stuff like [insert marginal belief system]*.

I'm not too critical of the show because last episode handled the Martian religion pretty well, and that balances out some of this episode (even though last episode ended with Supergirl killing people).

*I was going to put New Age spiritualism there, but I don't think New Age hippies would appreciate being compared to a fictional religion. And I don't think they like being called New Age hippies either...

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Supergirl doesn't exactly have a history of doing things subtly. And sometimes that's for the better because some people don't get the message unless you really pound on the table and underline it a few times.
    Like the intro emphasising that yes, some of the greatest heroes in America are immigrants which have been welcomed by the country.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I think they did a good job of making religion in general to be okay with Kara's prayer at the end. There was also that super nice touch of having J'onn, who otherwise didn't have much to do in this episode sit down with his dad (established last week as the Green Martian high priest) to pray.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They changed the intro this season to focus more on the fact that she's "not from around here". I like it, but the line reads for the intro are pretty bad.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I'm also not a religious person, and I frickin' loved this episode. The faith and love they put into her really resonated something in my black, godless heart. The sheer weight of it bringing her to tears was amazingly well played, and I thought the extremist angle was reasonably well balanced. He wasn't going to kill anyone, they knew (albeit with inappropriate certainty) she would save them; there was no malevolence in it at all. He was genuinely frightened and confused when it wasn't working out. I love that he ultimately learned from that, and wishes to stick around to help her be the best Supergirl she can be; and hope she lets him.

And the Alex breaking down at the play bit and wassername having an am-I-a-shitty-parent? moment really twisted that knife in my dad-parts. It had a lot of heart.

The air was thick with dust.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    I liked Lena pointing out that she'd have to attempt to commit genocide on someone to be in with a chance at the 'Worst Mother' title in their conversation.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I liked Lena pointing out that she'd have to attempt to commit genocide on someone to be in with a chance at the 'Worst Mother' title in their conversation.
    Given who she's supposed to be... that may still be on the table. :eek:

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Supergirl Casts the Legion's Brainiac 5 With Defiance Alum Jesse Rath
    Talk about a smart casting move.

The CW’s Supergirl has cast Defiance alum Jesse Rath in the recurring role of Brainiac 5, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Half computer, half organic life and boasting a 12-level intellect, Brainiac 5 is a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes who travels to National City from the 31st Century to help Supergirl and the DEO battle Reign, the villain that L-Corp CEO Samantha Arias (played by Odette Annable) is on track to becoming.

Of course, Brainiac 5 in DC Comics lore has at times been more than a colleague of Supergirl’s. And as co-showrunner Andrew Kreisberg previously told TVLine of the character’s arrival, “Someone
    down the road will like Kara a lot, which will be a lot of fun.”

Rath will first appear in Season 3, Episode 10 — which is titled “Legion of Super-Heroes.” (In the comics, Mon-El aka Lar Gand/Valor also has an affiliation with the Legion, as does Saturn Girl — to be played by Amy Jackson.)

On Smallville, Brainiac 5 was portrayed by Buffy alum James Marsters in the Season 10 episode “Homecoming.”

Supergirl continues its season tonight at 8/7c with Episode 5, “Damage.”

In addition to his run on Defiance, where he played Castithan crime family member Alak Tarr, Rath’s previous TV credits include No Tomorrow, Being Human and 18 to Life. He was also featured in the online miniseries Assassin’s Creed: Lineage, a prequel to the bestselling videogame Assassin’s Creed II. A diehard comic book fan, Rath is also one of the creators and stars of the popular web series Fans.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I am super down with that casting, because all the Defiance people need to get more work on other shows because they were all fucking great and god damnit now I miss Defiance again.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'm still catching up and watched the Mars episode. I am really loving the choice of Lumbly for that casting, but not because of the animation history. I immediately recognized the voice from Buckaroo Banzai, where he was an alien
    XxZxEX0.jpg
    that shapeshifted into a human
    lwKmSBJ.jpg

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Supergirl Casts the Legion's Brainiac 5 With Defiance Alum Jesse Rath
    Talk about a smart casting move.

The CW’s Supergirl has cast Defiance alum Jesse Rath in the recurring role of Brainiac 5, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Half computer, half organic life and boasting a 12-level intellect, Brainiac 5 is a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes who travels to National City from the 31st Century to help Supergirl and the DEO battle Reign, the villain that L-Corp CEO Samantha Arias (played by Odette Annable) is on track to becoming.

Of course, Brainiac 5 in DC Comics lore has at times been more than a colleague of Supergirl’s. And as co-showrunner Andrew Kreisberg previously told TVLine of the character’s arrival, “Someone
    down the road will like Kara a lot, which will be a lot of fun.”

Rath will first appear in Season 3, Episode 10 — which is titled “Legion of Super-Heroes.” (In the comics, Mon-El aka Lar Gand/Valor also has an affiliation with the Legion, as does Saturn Girl — to be played by Amy Jackson.)

On Smallville, Brainiac 5 was portrayed by Buffy alum James Marsters in the Season 10 episode “Homecoming.”

Supergirl continues its season tonight at 8/7c with Episode 5, “Damage.”

In addition to his run on Defiance, where he played Castithan crime family member Alak Tarr, Rath’s previous TV credits include No Tomorrow, Being Human and 18 to Life. He was also featured in the online miniseries Assassin’s Creed: Lineage, a prequel to the bestselling videogame Assassin’s Creed II. A diehard comic book fan, Rath is also one of the creators and stars of the popular web series Fans.
    I really hope this leads to Mon coming back as a member of the Legion in his red costume.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It is so weird seeing characters referring to other characters...but with cast changes, things lost a bit of gravitas.
    I mean...when young-Kara runs to mom-Hank, I was like "wait...that's not Alur...ooooohhhhh riiiiiight...."

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I love the Legion of Super-Heroes with the force of a thousand suns.

This episode was a pretty big surprise for me. I'm so glad I haven't visited this thread for a few weeks. I knew something was up when I saw Mon-El in that ship and I was hoping for the Legion. And then it was!

• Options

This episode was a pretty big surprise for me. I'm so glad I haven't visited this thread for a few weeks. I knew something was up when I saw Mon-El in that ship and I was hoping for the Legion. And then it was!

My wife was like "who is that girl?"

"IT'S SATURN GIRL!!!!!!!"

"Uh... oooookay then."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I was thinking "Mind reading, shape shifter alien who's only pretending to be Mon-El to break into the DEO for nefarious purposes".
    Glad I was wrong on that one though.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I was thinking "Mind reading, shape shifter alien who's only pretending to be Mon-El to break into the DEO for nefarious purposes".
    Glad I was wrong on that one though.

I thought Mon-El was actually Chameleon Boy.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im sad they solved the "how do we make nice friend lady into bad guy" problem by "HER EYES TURNED RED AND SHES MEAN NOW"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I mean, better creepy Kryptonian sleeper agent trigger than some manufactured drama against Kara/Supergirl, I guess?

• Options
    Shouldn't her daughter be showing some super-powers by now? I know they same power should manifest when they come of age (Which is when exactly? Puberty? When they get their drivers licence? What?), so maybe not the full power set, but that never stopped baby Clark from lifting tractors and the like.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Shouldn't her daughter be showing some super-powers by now? I know they same power should manifest when they come of age (Which is when exactly? Puberty? When they get their drivers licence? What?), so maybe not the full power set, but that never stopped baby Clark from lifting tractors and the like.

I'm not a big DC comics buff, but do we have any examples of half-Kryptonians? Since that's what her daughter would be right, half-human/half-kryptonian?

• Options
    I thought Superman and Lois had a kid now in the comics? Or did that get Crisis-retconned away?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Well, Reign isn't exactly a standard Kryptonian. Her daughter may take after the father, or the development cycle is on a different timeline. We already know that having a kid changed Reign's timetable by itself...which puts us outside of regular human allegory.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »

I'm not a big DC comics buff, but do we have any examples of half-Kryptonians? Since that's what her daughter would be right, half-human/half-kryptonian?
    Superboy (Conner/Kon-El) is a hybrid made from Superman and Lex Luthor's DNA. He has tactile telekinesis that mimics most of Superman's abilities. He also developed powers like heatvision in the last decade or so.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    They changed the intro this season to focus more on the fact that she's "not from around here". I like it, but the line reads for the intro are pretty bad.

I noticed that they snuck in the refugee line, but I can't believe the sentence structure for this season and last. its like a horrible jumbled mess of run on sentence fragments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought Superman and Lois had a kid now in the comics? Or did that get Crisis-retconned away?

They adopted Zod's kid Post-Crisis, and they had their own recently I think? I'm not sure whether it's been retconned away or not.

• Options

Well, Reign isn't exactly a standard Kryptonian. Her daughter may take after the father, or the development cycle is on a different timeline. We already know that having a kid changed Reign's timetable by itself...which puts us outside of regular human allegory.

And magic may be involved.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    isnt the point of reign thats shes physically stronger than supergirl so she represents an opponent that cannot be straightforwardly overpowered

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So does anyone else think that sparkling water girl is a time traveler?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I assumed it was
    Barry's kid, who is probably a speedster. I dont know how much of a spoiler this is, and dont really know the comics, I figure they gotta start making stuff up sooner or later.

So the B plot on Arrow but supergirls cast..... . "I know were being invaded by nazis, but I'm worried about my moral compass". I know that's not really what that was, but yeeeesh save it for later.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I mean
    way back in DC Comics Pre-Final Crisis, We Swear there was XS. She's Barry and Iris' granddaughter, and was part of the Legion.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I mean
    way back in DC Comics Pre-Final Crisis, We Swear there was XS. She's Barry and Iris' granddaughter, and was part of the Legion.

Speculation
    That sounds logical, with Brainiac 13 and Saturn Girl making appearances this year.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular

Superboy (Conner/Kon-El) is a hybrid made from Superman and Lex Luthor's DNA. He has tactile telekinesis that mimics most of Superman's abilities. He also developed powers like heatvision in the last decade or so.

Didn't they retcon that to him having normal Kryptonian powers? At least in the Young Justice series they did. I always thought that was such a needless detail.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Didn't they retcon that to him having normal Kryptonian powers? At least in the Young Justice series they did. I always thought that was such a needless detail.

Yeah but in that case they went with straight up clone over a hybrid

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    if they dare set up james and lena rather than kara and lena i swear to gooby i shall summon the ghost of sappho to smite them

obF2Wuw.png