Options

[Star Trek] The voyage begins again...

2456

Posts

  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Shatner and Montalban have great chemistry despite never having interacted during production (at least I don't believe so).

    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They interacted in the episode that introduced Khan in the original series.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Yes, but I was referring specifically to Wrath of Khan.

    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They probably read the lines as they would be speaking them while they were recording the other one's scene.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »


    So this means it is almost certainly set in the new universe. Guessing something happens in the new movie to setup the TV show?

    not necessarily... just basic showbiz marketing crap. they assume their fans are dumb cattle and if there's two things called star trek at the same time then one necessarily loses out

    I thought it was the other way around. Create massive buzz for product X, release it, then release product x and have it surf the blastwave.

    I mean, Marvel is doing that and it is working gangbusters

    but there's a lot of old-Hollywood producers that can't imagine working that way.

    I mean if DC was any kind of smart about it they'd have their new movies tying into Arrow and Flash. Hell, they'd at least link their three separate damn TV universes together. But nope.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    They probably read the lines as they would be speaking them while they were recording the other one's scene.

    Now, this is from Wikipedia, but: "[Montalban]'s major complaint was that he was never face-to-face with Shatner for a scene. "I had to do my lines with the script girl, who, as you might imagine, sounded nothing like Bill [Shatner]," he explained."

    If this is correct, then there was a disconnect between the two, which makes their interactions in scenes like this more impressive, despite the special effects shortcuts they take (they start interacting around 4:20 in):

    https://youtu.be/WCpYqWAIwFA?t=4m

    Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Nicholas Meyer intentionally sequestered Shatner from Montalban and vice-versa. He was trying to get a sense of distance between them out of the actors (since they never meet face to face in the movie either).

    sig.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Nicholas Meyer intentionally sequestered Shatner from Montalban and vice-versa. He was trying to get a sense of distance between them out of the actors (since they never meet face to face in the movie either).

    That is super cool

    It really worked out well for the movie I think because it definitely comes across.

  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I super, super want this to be good, please get this right, CBS.

  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am hoping New Universe, but TNG era.

    The adventures of Captain Wesley Crusher and the Enterprise.

    The part of Wesley Crusher would, of course, be played by William A. Wallace.

  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am hoping New Universe, but TNG era.

    The adventures of Captain Wesley Crusher and the Enterprise.

    The part of Wesley Crusher would, of course, be played by Jim Parsons.

    There we go.

  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Brolo wrote: »
    Trek order from best to worst:

    DS9
    Next Gen
    Original Series
    Voyager
    Enterprise


    I really liked Enterprise

  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    They probably read the lines as they would be speaking them while they were recording the other one's scene.

    maybe, maybe not. My guess is not.

  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    denihilist wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Trek order from best to worst:

    DS9
    Next Gen
    Original Series
    Voyager
    Enterprise


    I really liked Enterprise

    I enjoyed it too, but I wish they had spent way less time on the Xindi/Temporal Cold War thing and done more actual "here's the building of the Federation" like what we were kinda led to believe the show would be about. The last season when a different producer took over was much better and actually started to make good on that.

    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    denihilist wrote: »
    They probably read the lines as they would be speaking them while they were recording the other one's scene.

    maybe, maybe not. My guess is not.

    Could be not. Most of Khan's lines that Kirk hears are monologues, soliloquies, or one sided threats. Most of Kirk's lines are pleading, reactionary, or to his crew.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I didn't enjoy Enterprise. The characters and stories just never engaged me.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I might pay 6 dollars for this.

    Star Trek is like the only not-animated TV I have ever cared about.

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Enterprise gets way better on the back end, and its highs are at least higher than voyager

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Seven of Nine fought the Rock, so I'm straight up saying you're wrong to your face, cuz Scott Bakula didn't fight the Rock, and even if he did, I'd rather watch Jeri Ryan do it anyway.

  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Threshold vs Dear Doctor for worst episode

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm still holding out for James McAvoy as young Captain Picard and Tom Hardy as William T. Riker.

    if that motherfucker curves a phaser beam I'm out

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Seven of Nine fought the Rock, so I'm straight up saying you're wrong to your face, cuz Scott Bakula didn't fight the Rock, and even if he did, I'd rather watch Jeri Ryan do it anyway.

    The big show was on enterprise as a slave trader which is way better

  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Also zeus played the first klingon humanity ever encountered

  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also zeus played the first klingon humanity ever encountered

    And in that cross-cultural exchange, the Klingon learned about second amendment solutions.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think it would be interesting to do a Star Trek after Kirk but before Picard
    That gap of history would be interesting to do but then I feel they will take the easy way out

  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This likely means that we'll get a time travel episode to the year 2017. 3D printers are basically replicators already.

  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    While all five series have had time travel episodes, only TOS, Voyager and Enterprise traveled to (for the time) the contemporary period.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Seven of Nine fought the Rock, so I'm straight up saying you're wrong to your face, cuz Scott Bakula didn't fight the Rock, and even if he did, I'd rather watch Jeri Ryan do it anyway.

    The big show was on enterprise as a slave trader which is way better

    Let's settle this the old fashioned way: put 'em in the ring and see who wins!

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Seven of Nine fought the Rock, so I'm straight up saying you're wrong to your face, cuz Scott Bakula didn't fight the Rock, and even if he did, I'd rather watch Jeri Ryan do it anyway.

    Why not make it a Quantum Leap episode and have it all?

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Threshold vs Dear Doctor for worst episode

    Threshold is just dumb and kinda campy and at least had some fine acting from Paris.

    Dear doctor was offensively bad.

  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I want a prequel show about captain Robau and the USS Kelvin.

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The real question is, who plays Q is the new series?

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The real question is, who plays Q is the new series?

    John DeLancie.

    Also the real worst episode is A Night In Sickbay.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    And I'll say this again

    even if Q were to appear in the new movie or the new timeline or it happens in Kirk's time

    he should still be John DeLancie and directly reference Timeline-A Picard.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The real question is, who plays Q is the new series?

    John DeLancie.

    Also the real worst episode is A Night In Sickbay.
    Is that The one where Archers dog porthos pees on some aliens sacred trees? So Archer (a trained diplomat) threatens to come down there and piss on them himself because they got the dog sick?

  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    The real question is, who plays Q is the new series?

    John DeLancie.

    Also the real worst episode is A Night In Sickbay.
    Is that The one where Archers dog porthos pees on some aliens sacred trees? So Archer (a trained diplomat) threatens to come down there and piss on them himself because they got the dog sick?

    That's the one!

    And he spends the night in sickbay because Porthos is sick and he's too worried about his dog and he goes nuts.

    And there ISN'T any kind of alien infection or whatever to explain his behavior, the episode is written as if we're supposed to rationally be on Archer's side!

    sig.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Why did they let him bring his goddamn dog on the ship in the first place?

    Even Janeway had the good sense to leave her dogs at home and she is a psychopath.

  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Well, it was the first long-term space exploration mission, they probably figured it would help his and the crew's morale and play well to cameras.

    Besides, Data had a cat and Sulu had a Little Shop of Horrors hand-plant. Porthos was great, it's all just because Archer is a god damn lunatic.

    sig.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.