As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Dual thread hunt and this one's dead. Go to new thread.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
First thing is first:
Voice Comms

Introducing: Monster Hunter Generations

This is the newest installment of the series which we were uncertain about a localization of until very recently.

Here's some extra information.

What is Monster Hunter?

Welcome to the game where in the goal is to kill off these guys with some form of pointy or shooty implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZAQ9_QK5s&noredirect=1

Monster Hunter is a series about hunting little things, making weapons and armor from the bits of the little things then eventually using those weapons and armor to hunt bigger things. Repeat until the next game in the series comes out.

Old Screenshots

xW2u4XK.png
H97GkCr.png
EK02j0t.jpg
wc2pcjF.png
1e7AVC8.jpg

Game Info and Useful Stuff
Kiranico MH Generations database
Athena's Armor Set Search for all game versions.
GaijinHunter’s MHGEN weapon tutorial playlist. Seriously. Watch these for your weapon
Web Based Armor Skill Simulator for when you can't run Athena's
Handy MH Generations Monster chart.

MHGEN Hunting Spreadsheet

PA MHGEN friend code data form
See the form entries.

Speaking of playing together. The generic PA password for rooms is

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    So has anyone actually used the PA Teamspeak thing or is that just a relic from like two or three threads ago? I think most of us have adapted to the presets-only communication by now.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    no one does.

It was a nice dream but. . .I am going to leave it there in case anyone wants the option so the info is readily available.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So apparently I vaulted directly to HR 51 upon joining a 7* room and getting dragged to G-rank kicking and screaming.

I guess I've been pretty thorough on the lower stuff?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »
    So apparently I vaulted directly to HR 51 upon joining a 7* room and getting dragged to G-rank kicking and screaming.

I guess I've been pretty thorough on the lower stuff?

Sounds about right. If you're blitzing through LR and HR just doing mostly Key Quests and armor farming runs you usually land in the low 20s once your limiter gets removed, but clearing out the Caravan is good for an additional 30ish at least.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Looking at some of the Gaijinhunter stuff I think my next project is the Seregios GL so I've got an option for when I don't have better ideas. Any other boxes I should check off at this point?

• Options
    Looking at some of the Gaijinhunter stuff I think my next project is the Seregios GL so I've got an option for when I don't have better ideas. Any other boxes I should check off at this point?

While you're farming Seregios you should probably go ahead and make his armor too. That stuff is awesome, even if the Bleed Resistance is never useful elsewhere.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think the gunner armor is better, in that Normal Up is a very good skill for both HBG and bows and not found on many armors. There are more alternatives for the blademaster one.

Also, it looks great.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ... so should I just understand the Silver Rathalos fight to be where I'll learn if people actually know what they're doing as opposed to understand how to do BIG DAMAGE?

• Options
    If you're finding out they can't hold on at G rank Silver, they are really good at faking it.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If you're finding out they can't hold on at G rank Silver, they are really good at faking it.

I'm fairly sure I'm still somehow at the very top end of HR, as I currently lack a G emblem and it's the 7* where I'm finding people who are alarmingly poor at things other than smacking stuff.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So has anyone actually used the PA Teamspeak thing or is that just a relic from like two or three threads ago? I think most of us have adapted to the presets-only communication by now.

I particuarly enjoy our one liner presets we have made for out fights haha

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

I'm fairly sure I'm still somehow at the very top end of HR, as I currently lack a G emblem and it's the 7* where I'm finding people who are alarmingly poor at things other than smacking stuff.

did you kill ukanlos

that's the final gate I think

or, I hope, because if the game goes just kidding one more monster before g rank one more time I think I am going to smash it

• Options
      Seriously wrote: »

did you kill ukanlos

or, I hope, because if the game goes just kidding one more monster before g rank one more time I think I am going to smash it

Ukanlos is the last one yeah.

• Options
      fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
      Any ideas what this fridays dlc is?

i assume elder hall savage jho?

J3qcnBP.png
    • Options
      Seriously wrote: »

did you kill ukanlos

I was beginning to suspect that; only on someone else's quest. I'll see if I can get him done in the near future so I can be a real boy, finally.

• Options
      Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
      I'm so behind and only HR7... :( And my Dual Swords are so weak!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
      3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    • Options
      edited November 2015
      fRAWRst wrote: »
      Any ideas what this fridays dlc is?

i assume elder hall savage jho?

I would also assume access to GR Goldie without needing the correct episode up.

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      manjimanji Registered User regular

While you're farming Seregios you should probably go ahead and make his armor too. That stuff is awesome, even if the Bleed Resistance is never useful elsewhere.

steve armour is G rank priority 1 really. i made barroth X for lance/ GL in order to make fighting him less of a hassle but given your pure GL love maybe run up seltas instead.

steve GL is a normal and having used long and wide gunlances a bunch i can't really go back. personally i use the molten tiggy for my all-rounder.

i finally fought g-rank savage jho in an expedition the other day. unfortunately it was a 2 monster quest and he escaped in the chaos. on the plus side i brought all thieving cats so i still got 3 carves worth of gear. screw you game, i know how you roll!

• Options
      edited November 2015
      manji wrote: »

steve armour is G rank priority 1 really. i made barroth X for lance/ GL in order to make fighting him less of a hassle but given your pure GL love maybe run up seltas instead.

steve GL is a normal and having used long and wide gunlances a bunch i can't really go back. personally i use the molten tiggy for my all-rounder.

i finally fought g-rank savage jho in an expedition the other day. unfortunately it was a 2 monster quest and he escaped in the chaos. on the plus side i brought all thieving cats so i still got 3 carves worth of gear. screw you game, i know how you roll!

Honestly, my favorite's Long, but I don't mind the other two. My aggravation about Silver Rath is based largely in trying to get a Chariot Gun done. I'll need to grind out the trades to make the Lagiacrus one at some point, too.

I'm pretty sure I cancel out of stuff by dashing sideways often enough in fights that the Stevelance would therefore save me a lot of headaches, though.

Auralynx on
    • Options
      you could always consider making luna's sun for a long/ fire GL. it has shocking elemental damage, to the point where i've made a set with fire attk +2 to get the most out of it. i used that to kill chaos gore and get out of G2...

• Options
      Give me a regular lance any day. People call it boring but damn it is it isn't the most mobile thing once you get how to use it.

• Options
      i like the lance a lot, i just think you have to be good at evade lancing to get the most out of it.

also being tripped by a long sword when i'm trying to block an attack makes me crazy

• Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      Give me a regular lance any day. People call it boring but damn it is it isn't the most mobile thing once you get how to use it.

I gave it a shot in Tri when I Gamefly'd that a few years ago. I don't think it'll have the oomph necessary to be fun for me until Cross comes out and I can ram dudes with a super charge.

I'm using Gunlance, Hammer, Greatsword, and Charge Blade; I pretty consistently like the weapons with "and now I am hitting you really hard," options.

• Options
      edited November 2015
      I am very much a man who consistency appeals to over flashy. I can precision strike the monster's hitzones with the lance like no other weapon.

I'm not even a big evade lancer as I prefer counter/blocking. I am not sure why I stopped and went crazy on the SnS but I am probably returning to my lance in some fashion with MHX. (and maybe before then. I do have the Dala lance ready to go. I just need to make a set for it and hone it.)

Seidkona on
    • Options
      my problem with guard lancing is the transition from a block to a standing thrust is just a little slow for my liking. don't get me wrong though, i still love the thing. my brief stint playing TERA was purely so i could get my poking fix between MHFU and MH4U!

• Options
      finally made it to g1

in the end to deal with ukkie I cobbled together a horrible armor set from materials I had lying around that gave me fire attack +3, and nothing else, went completely ham, and eventually it forgot not to die

god what a slog

are these the real monsters now? so far they're delightfully high energy things, I'll take harder monsters shadowed by their frenzied cousins or surprise apex rajangs over horrible endless hp sponges any damn day of the week

• Options
      The elders are a mixed bag but they're not all like that.

• Options
      I meant specifically dalamadur and ukanlos, I've spent the past month banging my head against just those two

I could deal with the high-rank versions of kushu and teo fine, when I didn't win I at least saw where I was lacking and could address it

but you hit something for fifty minutes straight and at the end you lose and you don't even know how close or far away you were

BUT THAT'S IN THE PAST NOW

eventually I'll have to go back to pull out the stuff for the kushu charge blade and dolly glaive but right now I'm gonna make some really pretty equipment

• Options
      Dalam, Uka, and Akantor (and to a lesser extent Gog) are giant sponges, yeah.

• Options
      Gog might be to a point but I feel l like that fight is different and dynamic enough it gets a pass.

I really enjoy fighting him.

• Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      Gog might be to a point but I feel l like that fight is different and dynamic enough it gets a pass.

I really enjoy fighting him.

Yeah outside of his cheap attacks it's interesting enough to keep engaged. Dalam is less so, but still better than Shovelface and Tusky.

I don't think anything in 4U is as spongy as Goldbeard was in 3U, though. Jhen maybe but that fight hardly counts thanks to all of the artillery.

• Options
      Hey I know! Let's all fight Dalamadur again. . .

HEY! Wait! Come back!

• Options
      TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
      Dalam, Uka, and Akantor (and to a lesser extent Gog) are giant sponges, yeah.

I don't know about a 'lesser extent', Gogmazios has the most HP of any monster in the game.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    • Options
      But like Entaru said, he doesn't feel like a sponge. Uka and Akantor are just land whales with angry breath attacks in mostly featureless arenas.

Having access to dragonators, ballistae, cannons, and the demolisher also helps.

• Options
      fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
      im home all night for mon huns if anyone else is down

i just finished the teostra del sol. little bummmed about its raw but man it was my fav fire gs in mhfu and now its even cooler blast

J3qcnBP.png
    • Options
      I too am now a legit G-rank guy.

Ukanlos gets much easier when someone breaks the legs so I can bowl him over repeatedly with blasts.

• Options
      finished my hammer set last night. kinda sad i had to lose consti +1 for sharpness +1, but the teo hammer only has a tiny bit of white, even at max level. tried it out on a s. nerscylla, hitting a spider with a hammer so hard it exploded was 100% amazing

• Options
      Opening a room if anyone's up for hunting this evening.

• Options
      @Vyolynce
      I'm pretty sure I just dug your room up searching. I'm Orville.

• Options
      edited November 2015
      Much as I love blowing things up I think I need to get better at aiming those. I'm fairly sure that for now you do more damage in the time you lose flying across the room than I do with a Full Burst. ;)

Thanks for the help, man. Should make it much easier for me to start getting up to snuff.

Also, hunting with you > getting solo hunts crashed by an Apex Rajang for some damn reason, which happened on the Desert Seltas one earlier.

Auralynx on