As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Dual thread hunt and this one's dead. Go to new thread.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    manji wrote: »
    wide GL is great! you need to be charging your shots to do decent damage however and i would make sure you have artillery god and minds eye in your set up.

guard +2 will make your chip damage negligible. just fit in an upstab, then a charge shot in every gap you see. wyvern fire whenever its up, artillery god will reduce it's cooldown significantly.

if you're playing guard GL your mobility will often come from a running shot (forward and circle whilst blocking) followed by a charge shot.

I mean this is all accurate info on Wide lancing, but a real man ignores guard skills and brings a Normal / Long and just does the dash-poke buffered into a shot > quick reload > slam > Full Burst when not doing jump-slam > Full Burst.

Real Man strategy not applicable to Black Gravios, Shagaru Magala, and other stuff with lots of unblockable beam attacks with or significant mobility.

On a related note I really do need to build a set with guard at some point but I've been hammering through stuff with my girlfriend lately instead to get my multiplayer fix, and she's only HR5. Getting a lot better at Duals, though!

My problem seems to be in g rank everything is superfast and mobile. Ill only get a poke and a shell during an opening and then itll do its tailspin or charge through me across the map, or do one of the side hop things away. It just doesnt seem to do enough damage to cause trips/flinches very often. It has weird hitboxes too. I was fighting the 1/2 gore/shag caravan urgent and went to do a leap attack off a ledge multiple times and it looked like i was surfing the damned things wings and never actually "hit" it, despite being a downward slam.

It just seems like there are too many required skills for it and no real good way to get them. Seltas z and gemming in guard up and artillery novice and eating for bombardier gives like 12 skills, but no sharpness +1 or razor sharp. Its just too slow to take advantage of many of them. I almost want to try some GS critdraw/quicksheath set to see if that works any better. At least the lance gets the counter attack it can use while being immobile and the charge has multiple uses. GL needs some love, but it doesnt sound like it got too much in mhx.

It got a DBZ explosion and a cool heat gauge! What more do you want?

That said, Manji is spot-on about Mind's Eye. I'd use it if I weren't trying to swing rarely. I'm running Razor Sharp with HG Earplugs and Artillery God and a level or two of Expert depending on the lance at the moment, but I really do try to blast early and often. I've found that *HG Earplugs* creates windows and lets me blast often. A lot of sneaky close-in positioning and watching tells is involved, but the knockdowns come regularly.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Explosions? Whippersnapers.

In my day you got to poke with your lance and that was it and we liked it because that's all we had.

Did I ever tell you about how we had to fight Rathlos? Uphill both ways in the snow while only using the right stick. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

In my day you got to poke with your lance and that was it and we liked it because that's all we had.

Did I ever tell you about how we had to fight Rathlos? Uphill both ways in the snow while only using the right stick. . .

Was Rathalos too poor to afford the second A back then?

• Options

Yes

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Yes

Clearly he and Rathin had yet to acquire their nest egg.

*superman dive*

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Uphill AND underwater... both ways

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Hunting today?

• Options
        edited January 2016
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Hunting today?

Unfortunately I work and my evening looks pretty booked. If I end up getting free this evening I'll try to hunt if anyone's still going.

Seidkona on
      • Options
        Maybe tonight (assuming servers are up) yeah but my afternoon is booked until around 5ish.

• Options
        On about that same timetable and wouldn't mind.

• Options
        SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
        I'll keep a lookout for you guys.

• Options
        Evening's definitely booked.

I have interest from a new employer and I need to spend some time filling out some paperwork for them to move to the next step in the interview process.

• Options
        Heading on now.

• Options
        Taking a dinner break. Room's still open but I'm AFK. Should be back in 30-45ish.

• Options
        edited January 2016
        We now resume your irregularly-scheduled hunting activity.

EDIT: Closing.

Vyolynce on
      • Options
        Vyolynce wrote: »

Sorry to hit and run like that (certain parties felt strongly there were other things I should be doing), but heck of a job on the Silver Rathalos in particular. Been missing the chance to play with y'all.

• Options

Sorry to hit and run like that (certain parties felt strongly there were other things I should be doing), but heck of a job on the Silver Rathalos in particular. Been missing the chance to play with y'all.

Yeah we did surprisingly well on that thing. Thought it was going to be a rout until he combo'd me. Normally wouldn't have gone for the trap there but was kind of pissed off at it for that.

• Options

Yeah we did surprisingly well on that thing. Thought it was going to be a rout until he combo'd me. Normally wouldn't have gone for the trap there but was kind of pissed off at it for that.

Yeah. I need some commendations now but that's all between me and Eine Warheit. Which means I need Gog now I think.

• Options
        EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
        Finally got to play online again. First room we wrecked molten tigrex in like 4 minutes. Then we tried ukanlos and 1 guy died like 2s into the fight no exaggeration, then he died again and so did someone else. New room killed a magala pretty quick, then tried shag and one guy left a couple minutes in then the other 2 left or dcd. I stayed and killed it to my surprise. But ugh online is such a crapshoot now. 1/2 the lobbies have hr999 hosts and dont really want to mess with hackers.

Went on a crafting spree to try new weapons while i could only play offline. Man longsword got nerfed hard in 4. I mained it in 3 and dont remember it being so bad. I made the regios HH too but havent played with it yet. Im just worried it will be bad too. Ive pretty much only used IG GS and CB which are insane in 4. I dabble with guns but theyre more fun in multiplayer.

• Options
        fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
        HR999 may not be hackers, you can easily "farm" HRP with a decent group with the fata quests

even the offline HR red fata gives almost half a rank from 300-600, and you can solo that in g rank/expeidtion gear in under 5

J3qcnBP.png
      • Options
        Not to mention someone could be HR999 through a hacked quest and them not even know. there are people who troll under hr7 rooms and post customs for newer players. If they don't know whats going on it's a complete surprise to them when they unlock their HR and are 999 right off the bat.

There were people gloating about doing it to people as a "service" at one point.

• Options
        EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
        I know that people can do it legit with a lot of time and people post stupid customs, I just prefer to not even deal with it. If someone has played enough to get 999 legit, they have perfect gear and don't need other people to play with. I just don't see that person hosting random games because they probably don't need anything. I've got a few hundred hours played and am only like 150ish, but I've got quite a few end game sets and weapons. I cant even imagine all the crap I would have if I buckled down and just ground out another 850 ranks.

• Options
        fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
        I cant say I agree with your reasoning, some people just like to play the game continously

J3qcnBP.png
      • Options
        Ogretz and I (Archpriest) hopping on if anyone wants to join

• Options

Probably not tonight but I definitely will have extra time on my hands tomorrow...

• Options

Probably not tonight but I definitely will have extra time on my hands tomorrow...

I should be around. @ogretz @Entaru ?

• Options
            Fridays are always out for me. Maybe this weekend sometime?

• Options
            I may well experience sufficient snow to hunt things.

• Options
            I may well experience sufficient snow to hunt things.

"Sufficient snow", as defined by the state of North Carolina:
            CZUyVa7UAAI6Q8O.jpg

• Options
            Haha we had about 6 days off last year about the time MH4 came out. Perfect timing to be a teacher in NC. Now I'm back in Ohio and we'll never get snow days for anything under a foot.

• Options
              I posted that image on my twitter and a Canadian friend replied "I could play golf in that." :D

• Options
              I posted that image on my twitter and a Canadian friend replied "I could play golf in that." :D

Yeah, same deal when I was living in Atlanta. Couple inches and it was the damn apocalypse because the city had no salt / trucks / etc. and nobody could drive on it so they would ditch cars on the road to the condo complex or on the roadside.

It is unclear how bad we're gonna get it here in NY but I'll probably miss an in-person game night or two while it gets handled.

• Options
              PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, same deal when I was living in Atlanta. Couple inches and it was the damn apocalypse because the city had no salt / trucks / etc. and nobody could drive on it so they would ditch cars on the road to the condo complex or on the roadside.

It is unclear how bad we're gonna get it here in NY but I'll probably miss an in-person game night or two while it gets handled.

Yeah, its that nobody down south knows how to drive on snow that's the problem (you might, maybe, send the salt trucks out for that. Deoending on what kind of snow.)

Well, almost nobody. It kind of sucks for the people who do know how and now everything's closed.

Steam: Polaritie
              3DS: 0473-8507-2652
              Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
              PSN: AbEntropy
            • Options
              Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, its that nobody down south knows how to drive on snow that's the problem (you might, maybe, send the salt trucks out for that. Deoending on what kind of snow.)

Well, almost nobody. It kind of sucks for the people who do know how and now everything's closed.

My experience was that you could've ended that sentence after the word "drive," for several senses of "knows how," but yeah. I'd be like "whatever, let's get pizza" and the pizza place would be shut. Even the Target!

• Options
              @Vyolynce I should be free after 8

• Options
                blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
                @Vyolynce I could jump on if you guys need another.

• Options
                SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
                Help me get my gold crown and I'm in!

• Options
                Satsumomo wrote: »
                Help me get my gold crown and I'm in!

I, too, am also trying to get the Gold Crown.

• Options
                Room up. Regular pw. 35-3777-7822-3195

• Options
                  @TimFiji I'll jump in, though I don't know the pw.