As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    From their website ...

ReedPOP
    383 Main Ave
    Norwalk, CT 06851
    United States of America
    1(203)8404800

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    they generally route everything through email though. As long as the domain is actually legit (and it's not someone spoofing as that domain), I would say that's a legit email.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    if I were him instead of a new address I would have them held at will call at this point and pick them up

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    zambixizambixi Neko Nanny Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    Well, I got stonewalled by BCEC as well, where they only listed the information that we're aware of already. So, that's it. I have no confirmation that there will be a shuttle like there was last year. If not, then it's recommended to hop the hotel shuttle to logan airport and take the silverline to BCEC. Make sure you have a pass or change for the bus just in case.

The silverline bus is free, or it was when I rode on it last week.

• Options
    The silver line is free if you get on it at the airport. It is not free if you get on at any other stop.

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    zambixi wrote: »
    Well, I got stonewalled by BCEC as well, where they only listed the information that we're aware of already. So, that's it. I have no confirmation that there will be a shuttle like there was last year. If not, then it's recommended to hop the hotel shuttle to logan airport and take the silverline to BCEC. Make sure you have a pass or change for the bus just in case.

The silverline bus is free, or it was when I rode on it last week.

Silverline is free from the airport to the BCEC. It is not free on the way back.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    DameonBrassDameonBrass Registered User regular
    So now that the guidebook is live and schedules are mostly confirmed, does anyone have any guidance as to how early one should show up for the Tabletop Tournaments? Only going on Sunday and super pumped that's when the Fluxx event is happening.

Formatted for this board by placing it on a piece of wood and banging a few nails through it...
  • Options
    JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    Just noticed that metal detectors have been added. I always carry a swiss army knife. Is this going to be a problem?

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So now that the guidebook is live and schedules are mostly confirmed, does anyone have any guidance as to how early one should show up for the Tabletop Tournaments? Only going on Sunday and super pumped that's when the Fluxx event is happening.

Go and sign up as soon as you arrive.

Anyone notice the tabletop area looks incredibly small compared to every other year? Or am I looking at the map on the app wrong?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jurgman wrote: »
    Just noticed that metal detectors have been added. I always carry a swiss army knife. Is this going to be a problem?
    As that can be considered a weapon, yes it will be.

During public hours (starting at 8 AM), the convention center has required the show to conduct bag checks for weapons and dangerous goods. Please note this is for dangerous items only, and does not include food, drinks, etc. The North Lobby entrance will have three queues: Those without bags, those with bags, and those picking up badges. We are working closely with the center to try and reduce any delays this process may cause, primarily by increasing BCEC staff to increase bag-check throughput. Guns, knives, pepper spray, or mace are not allowed inside the convention center.

InfiniteNuLL on
  • Options
    BobbyWasabiBobbyWasabi Registered User new member
    Where are rules for each console tournaments posted? Also, the Mario Kart 8 Tournament is listed to be in the Handheld Lounge and not Console, is this a mistake or is it taking place in the Handheld Lounge?

• Options
    graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    I looked and looked but I couldn't find this information anywhere so sorry if this has been answered before. I am diabetic, I have been to Pax East every year so far and it was never an issue for me then, but it is a big one this year. I have a very strict diet where I cant simply grab something from the snack / food kiosks or in some cases not even the food court. Will I be able to bring my own food in because of my dietary restrictions and if so will I need some sort of ID bracelet that says "Diabetic" or a doctors letter noting my diabeticness? Yes I realize that diabeticness is not a real word.
    ): D>

• Options
    SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    I looked and looked but I couldn't find this information anywhere so sorry if this has been answered before. I am diabetic, I have been to Pax East every year so far and it was never an issue for me then, but it is a big one this year. I have a very strict diet where I cant simply grab something from the snack / food kiosks or in some cases not even the food court. Will I be able to bring my own food in because of my dietary restrictions and if so will I need some sort of ID bracelet that says "Diabetic" or a doctors letter noting my diabeticness? Yes I realize that diabeticness is not a real word.

As mentioned in the bag check section:
    I heard you have bag checks - can you tell me more about this?

During public hours (starting at 8 AM), the convention center has required the show to conduct bag checks for weapons and dangerous goods. Please note this is for dangerous items only, and does not include food, drinks, etc. The North Lobby entrance will have three queues: Those without bags, those with bags, and those picking up badges. We are working closely with the center to try and reduce any delays this process may cause, primarily by increasing BCEC staff to increase bag-check throughput. Guns, knives, pepper spray, or mace are not allowed inside the convention center.

As I recall you can always bring food and drinks in with you. They had no problems with my water bottle last year and I know a few friends brought snacks for the lines.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Anyone notice the tabletop area looks incredibly small compared to every other year? Or am I looking at the map on the app wrong?

It looks tiny. And the expo floor looks ENORMOUS. I'll be gaming as much as I can at Pre-Pax Board Game Night this year, because finding a table in tabletop might be impossible.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I don't think Tabletop looks any smaller this year than last year. Either way, I hope Magic gets a smaller portion of the Tabletop area than it had last year.

• Options
    jayh0va wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

It looks tiny. And the expo floor looks ENORMOUS. I'll be gaming as much as I can at Pre-Pax Board Game Night this year, because finding a table in tabletop might be impossible.

I dunno. It seems pretty close actually. I thought the same when I first looked, but it seems wider this year? Comparison:

http://funkyimg.com/i/2a3Pp.jpg

It might be that the scale of the map is just all over the place this year. Trying to line them up is impossible =(

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Solanales wrote: »
    I dunno. It seems pretty close actually. I thought the same when I first looked, but it seems wider this year? Comparison:

It might be that the scale of the map is just all over the place this year. Trying to line them up is impossible =(

Yeah, thats a good call. Seems like a scale issue. Looking at last year's map, I dont remember PC being THAT big, so hopefully tabletop doesn't get shafted this year!

jayh0va on
    npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options

Yeah, thats a good call. Seems like a scale issue. Looking at last year's map, I dont remember PC being THAT big, so hopefully tabletop doesn't get shafted this year!

Right? I remember the queue room being much larger than the ESL arena but on the map they're given the same size. Either way, I love the tabletop section so I'm hooping it's given some proper room.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular

Just chiming in that I've brought my own food and drinks into the con every year no problem.

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »

Just chiming in that I've brought my own food and drinks into the con every year no problem.

Ditto. I pack a bag with snacks and drinks. We also order delivery to the doors and eat there.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    PoliticianPolitician Registered User regular
    anyone know what day's and time's will call is available?

• Options
    Politician wrote: »
    anyone know what day's and time's will call is available?

You can pick badges up between 1pm - 8pm on Thursday, 8am - 8pm Friday and Saturday, or 8am - 4pm on Sunday.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options

Right? I remember the queue room being much larger than the ESL arena but on the map they're given the same size. Either way, I love the tabletop section so I'm hooping it's given some proper room.

https://twitter.com/rkhoo/status/718120314643853313

There's your answer!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options

https://twitter.com/rkhoo/status/718120314643853313

There's your answer!

Based Robert with the answer lol. Thanks!

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm stunned it's smaller. It was jam packed last year.

• Options
    Could be an economics thing ... maybe BYOC has grown as a revenue stream and they fed it more this time, who knows

• Options
    coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    I see a lot of talk about places to eat, but I would just like to add some places that are great to go if you don't eat meat/dairy. Boston isn't the most Veg friendly town, but it does have some great places. That being said, there aren't really many places near the BCEC.
    • Chipotle - This is probably the closest. It's a little bit less than a mile walk. It's also by south station, so you can just take the silver line back there. 101 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210
    • My Thai Vegan Cafe - This place is hard to find info on, and google says it's closed, but it's said that for the last year, and I just went there last week. Great thai food, though they do rely heavily on meat substitutes. - 3 Beach St #2, Boston, MA 02111
    • Veggie Galaxy - I LOVE THIS PLACE. It's basically a vegetarian/vegan diner. They serve classic bacon and eggs type food all day, and have great diner type dinner stuff too. Everything on the menu can be made vegan. Try the Cheesey Fries with the house cheese. This place is in Cambridge, but it's just two steps off the Central Square T stop. - 450 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
    • Walnut Grille - This place is in Newton, so it's about 40 minutes out on the D branch of green line. Right off the Newton Highlands T stop. This is more contemporary veg fare, and is very good. Most things can be made vegan. - 1203 Walnut St, Newton Highlands, MA 02461

BONUS
    • Oakleaf Cakes Bakeshop - Bakery that has a selection of vegan cupcakes, and cookies every day. I think they also have coffee and lattes and the like. - 12 Westland Ave, Boston, MA 02115

VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular

Great question!

I brought backpack with me everyday to pax that was stuffed with Cliff Bars and other assorted snacks. The security people never even gave me a second look, so I would say bringing your own food is fine!

VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    I got what I wanted, confirmation!

"The PAX shuttle from the airport hotels was not on their website last year because it was added last minute, but it was provided by the same shuttle management company that provided all of the PAX shuttles. Because the MBTA had experienced multiple issues last winter, the client did not want the PAX attendees relying on MBTA service from the airport hotels which is how they typically directed attendees who stayed in that location in the past.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no plan to add shuttles to the airport hotels this year, as there have not been any major issues with public transportation. I have attached last year’s flyer for PAX shuttles which includes the contact number for CMAC, which is the company that provided all of the shuttles if you would like to reach out to them.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you, but if there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know."

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I got what I wanted, confirmation!

"The PAX shuttle from the airport hotels was not on their website last year because it was added last minute, but it was provided by the same shuttle management company that provided all of the PAX shuttles. Because the MBTA had experienced multiple issues last winter, the client did not want the PAX attendees relying on MBTA service from the airport hotels which is how they typically directed attendees who stayed in that location in the past.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no plan to add shuttles to the airport hotels this year, as there have not been any major issues with public transportation. I have attached last year’s flyer for PAX shuttles which includes the contact number for CMAC, which is the company that provided all of the shuttles if you would like to reach out to them.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you, but if there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know."

Aw, no big conspiracy? Oh well.
    TruthIsOutThere.jpg

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So, this might be a controversial question, but:
    If I believe there may be a problem (security- or attendee comfort-wise) with a particular exhibitor or guest, who should I contact and how? Is this a thing I can even do?

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    If I believe there may be a problem (security- or attendee comfort-wise) with a particular exhibitor or guest, who should I contact and how? Is this a thing I can even do?

Probably safety@paxsite.com would be the email to contact them with.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Probably safety@paxsite.com would be the email to contact them with.

This is correct

• Options
    tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    In your guys' experience, are you able to check in early at the hotels? My boyfriend and I should be getting into Boston around 9AM on Friday, and are trying to figure out if we'll be able to check in or will have to leave our bags.

Also, how efficient is the airport? We're going to be limited on time getting from the airport to the hotel, and I'm not sure if I wanted to take a checked bag or just run off the plane with my carry-on xD

• Options
    It really depends, re: hotels. For Friday, maybe, because most of the non-con folks will probably be out by then, but I wouldn't count on it. You can call ahead that morning and let them know when you will be arriving and that you would like early check in if available.

I've never had a problem with BOS and checked luggage, but that's a huge ymmv.

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    In your guys' experience, are you able to check in early at the hotels? My boyfriend and I should be getting into Boston around 9AM on Friday, and are trying to figure out if we'll be able to check in or will have to leave our bags.

Also, how efficient is the airport? We're going to be limited on time getting from the airport to the hotel, and I'm not sure if I wanted to take a checked bag or just run off the plane with my carry-on xD

For checking in early, this varies a lot and is really impossible to predict. The earliest I've ever been able to check in at any hotel is 9AM. Last year at PAX East my room wasn't available till after 3pm on Friday, but each time I checked and while waiting around in the lobby a little bit at one point, I saw person after person checking in with no problem. It all depends on when your room is cleaned and available. If the hotel wasn't too busy the night before, that makes things easier. I'd say in my experience, it's 50/50 for being able to check in early.

I would suggest calling the hotel after the information transfers from OnPeak to them and asking for an early check-in. They can't guarantee it, but it might help.

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Yes, you should be able to check in early at the hotel. At the very least, you can drop bags at the hotel. Or, the BCEC has a bag check that is open late (and typically only costs a few dollars). Logan is a mixed bag, it depends which airline you come in on. I don't have any trouble getting from Logan to South Station (main transfer point for the T) within 20-30 minutes. What you'll want to do is take the Silver Line shuttle from Logan to the convention center / South Station, depending on where your hotel is.

If you're very concerned with getting to be in line first at the BCEC, I wouldn't be. The line will be enormous no matter what, but it'll also evaporate pretty quickly once people are let in. I wouldn't be too fussed about getting in early unless there's a talk or panel you absolutely must see.

Cabadrin on
    e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    I'm coming in on Delta and staying at the Element. I will hopefully be taking an Uber since the Silver Line stops about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Delta comes in on Terminal A, which should be fine. It's not a huge terminal. The Element is that new hotel near the BCEC, right? Honestly taking the Silver Line shouldn't be an issue either - you'd walk down D St. to the hotel, maybe a 5-10 minute walk from the Convention Center stop. If you really want to take an Uber, sure, but you'd probably only save 10-15 minutes. If that's worth it to you, sound like a plan!

e2TtnRd.png