Options

Come for the sides, stay for the [Thanksgiving]

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    It is SO WEIRD that you guys celebrate Thanksgiving in November.

Look, without Thanksgiving, November would just be this bleak and barren stretch of nothing between Halloween and Christmas. We need Thanksgiving in the same way we need Valentines Day to get us through the doldrums of February.

If it wasn't for Thanksgiving's placement in November, the amount of Christmas hype spillover immediately following Halloween would be even more ridiculous than it is now.

It isn't a perfect bulwark, but Thanksgiving is doing a heroic job of keeping Christmas decorations and advertisements (mostly) confined to December. Once Thanksgiving is over, the floodgates open and the yuletide deluge begins.

please tell me where you live so that i might move to this paradise

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I said mostly!

I guess it helps that I don't really ever go to the mall (edit: Now that I think about it, I go to the mall once a year, in mid-December to buy Christmas presents).

Or CVS/Walgreens type stores where they have a seasonal aisle. Maybe I'm just good at insulating myself from it.

But I haven't seen any Christmas specials/ads on TV yet, so that's something. And there's no carols on the radio at the moment.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is anyone doing Secret Satans this year?

Neville hasn't been on since June!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Is anyone doing Secret Satans this year?

Neville hasn't been on since June!
    Someone is being tapped to do it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Didn't this happen a month or two ago?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I've been looking forward to this thanksgiving for months now.

I just moved to Phoenix this past May, and I've been doing the solo thing for awhile. I have a bunch of folks that decided to fly in:
    -My Fiancee!
    -Her Mom
    -My Parents
    -My Sister

Also, my future Brother in law and his girlfriend are long distance driving to get here, so I'll have a lot of folks here. Super excited to see them all.

I haven't decided on whether to cook them ham or turkey.

Our parents will be meeting for the first time :O

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Related for all who might be interested, the cookie XXXchange will be launching in the next few weeks.

• Options
    So, my family is doing Thanksgiving a bit early since some family from out of town will be around!

24-27 people under one roof!

Menus are being prepared! Recipes are being tested!

Tur-duck-en!

Sweet and sour green beans and bacon!

YES!

• Options
    I love big Thanksgiving dinners/gatherings.

My family usually congregates at my parents' house for Thanksgiving and Christmas -- about 15-20 or so people. We set up a few long folding tables in the living room, as it's the only room in the house big enough to fit everyone. We all just eat and drink and tell funny stories and eat and be boisterous and eat.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Any holiday that involves appropriating furniture and/or rooms in order to fit everyone around the table(s) is a good one in my book. And we get to meet the newest addition to the family this year, my cousin's first child, so it should be extra entertaining.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The First Sign of Thanksgiving.

"I'm making three pies. Apple, Pumpkin, and Pecan. And yes, there will be vanilla ice cream."

sig.gif
  • Options
    I had sweet potato pie for the first time a few days ago

Holy crap!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I love me some thanksgiving! I'm going to cape cod for this year's, and I'm pretty excited. Never been before! Kind of apprehensive about cooking up the works in a rental house, but I'm sure it'll go well.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My family is doing our first thanksgiving today! We've got relatives visiting from Florida for my papa's 80th birthday, so we decided we should do a thanksgiving while they're here.

And then another one on thanksgiving because FUCK YES THANKSGIVING

• Options
    Hi5 for two thanksgivings!

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    It's a choice between a kickass Thanksgiving buffet for my roommate and I or going to a friend's house to go skeet shooting. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

• Options
    It's a choice between a kickass Thanksgiving buffet for my roommate and I or going to a friend's house to go skeet shooting. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

you need to figure out how to schedule both!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doing a faux thanksgiving for my friends today, so I can make sure I know what I'm doing for my family in a couple weeks. Going to get the smoker going here in about an hour for the turkey, and about ready to make the biscuit dough. Mmmmm!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh god... I don't know if I want two thanksgivings anymore y'all

I think I'm dying. Can you overdose on gravy?

• Options
    Oh god... I don't know if I want two thanksgivings anymore y'all

I think I'm dying. Can you overdose on gravy?

you can try!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Doing a faux thanksgiving for my friends today, so I can make sure I know what I'm doing for my family in a couple weeks. Going to get the smoker going here in about an hour for the turkey, and about ready to make the biscuit dough. Mmmmm!

Glad I did a trial run! The Turkey cooked about an hour faster than I had expected! It ended up slightly overcooked in one breast, but 3/4 was moist and juicy, and the overcook was just a bit, so even it was pretty good.

Ended up doing turkey, Vegetarian Sweet Potato Enchiladas (for our vegetarian friend), Mashed taters, French Green beans, stuffing, home made biscuits and pumpkin pie, and our friends brought salad and some chocolate and vanilla ice cream to go with the pie.

We also made a bowl up of crumbled bacon, so that people could add it to whatever sides they wanted.

It was truly glorious.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So

test run for my corn bread tonight

it went off better than expected. I will be putting honey and butter on my cornbread forever more!

12246643_10153682536678279_14911211943861502_n.jpg?oh=59974724c641ae4aa498c88eaa70aeb3&oe=56ED713E

12227090_10153682536703279_7373005264624453167_n.jpg?oh=aba886aeb13c9dcf358da6eafca4b18b&oe=56E87993

/drool

• Options
    One week away!

Anyone have any great recipes to share?

• Options
    The Second Sign of Thanksgiving.

"There's only going to be four of us this year, so we got an 18lb. turkey."

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    So, I've always grown up with the impression that Jurassic Park is a Thanksgiving movie. Which I know sounds weird.

I think it's because NBC used to show it on TV every Thanksgiving (or around that time) for a few years when I was a kid, so I always made that connection.

Also the "6-foot turkey" line.

What are some other good Thanksgiving movies?

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am not looking forward to the 5 hour drive to Eugene.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    So, I've always grown up with the impression that Jurassic Park is a Thanksgiving movie. Which I know sounds weird.

I think it's because NBC used to show it on TV every Thanksgiving (or around that time) for a few years when I was a kid, so I always made that connection.

MST3k!

well bad movies anyway

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    I am not looking forward to the 5 hour drive to Eugene.

but you could listen to Alice's Restaurant 15 times!

• Options
    Unpopular opinion: I really don't like Alice's Restaurant.

Nothing makes me wish I was listening to Woody Guthrie quite like listening to Arlo Guthrie.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Work is having their Thanksgiving feast early today. I got ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, collard greens, cranberry sauce and apple pie for later in the afternoon. (And by later in the afternoon I mean approximately five minutes after I finish the main course.)

I don't plan on eating again until tomorrow around noon.

• Options
    Unpopular opinion: I really don't like Alice's Restaurant.

Nothing makes me wish I was listening to Woody Guthrie quite like listening to Arlo Guthrie.

He's not for everyone!

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

I really like Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter and Robert Downey Jr. Pieces of April is pretty good, but the end is a little schmaltzy.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Doesn't one of the cable networks do a Bond marathon over Thanksgiving? I remember watching a lot of Bond at Thanksgiving in high school.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a bonified Thanksgiving classic.

Other than that, I dunno. Dutch, maybe?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Try football?

I mean, from Thursday on, there's a shitload of NFL and College games on through the entire weekend (it's college rivals week too, which generally means better/more emotional games for the players) so even if you don't have a particular team to root for, or are curious about the sport, it's worth checking out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: football is the equivalent of a movie with one or two really cool scenes and absolutely nothing in-between. 95% of football is boring as hell.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Friendsgiving 1:

Let me preface this by talking about the Friendsgivings that came before this.

For a while, there was a bar where, every Monday, I would play trivia and sing karaoke. I did this for about three years straight, and during that time, met a whole lot of truly great people. There were people that would only come for one Monday, share their stories on the patio of this bar in-between songs, chain-smoking, nervous to set foot on the stage, but always interesting and real.

Then there were the regulars, the folks there every Monday come hell or high water, and these people soon became close, close friends. One of them, we'll call her K, had an annual Friendsgiving, and three years ago, I was invited. It was a great time; all of the Monday superstars, K's parents, her parent's friends, K's other friends, a two liter bottle of wine, shooters - good food, good jokes. A closed off porch for us smokers where there always seemed to be a fresh pack on the table for people just looking to hang out and swap stories. The parents all loved hearing about the karaoke exploits and what I did for actual work. There may have been singalongs. Like, I'll roll my eyes at a singalong because come, on guys, but I'll still dive deep and belt with the rest of them.

K recently got a travelling job, meaning she wasn't going to be in town, so the Friendsgiving duties were picked up by my old roommate, we'll call him W. W and I used to be very close, but during the year we lived together, I lost my job and my constant presence at the apartment was grating. When we moved out, we became better friends, but he moved across town and my car started giving me trouble, so financially I wasn't really in a place where I could do much of anything outside of play video games. I hadn't seen a bunch of my friends in a long time, so this seemed like it would be a fun even to go to.

The guest list was smaller than it had been last year, but W had a smaller apartment compared to K's parent's house. I arrived, bringing chips and dip (and a flask) and greeted everyone, including W's other roommate, N. N... doesn't like me. I met her at a party a few years back and the next time I saw her, I didn't recognize her, so I was like, "Oh, hey, sorry, I'm sure we've met, but I don't actually remember your name." and she told me, and then for whatever reason, I thought it would be a good goof to pretend to forget her name every time I saw her since.

Which she thought was very, very offensive. And there's also a pretty big probability that W has told her some stories about living with me - we got on each other's nerves with our respective behavior (he was a slob; one time while cleaning I found a petrified meatball under the coffee table that he had dropped at some point and never bothered to recover. I was a drunk.) But as a show of good faith, that I was actually a decent person, four months ago, I friended N on Facebook. The friend request remains unanswered.

Anyway; we're all having beers/liquor/wine, I'm popping out back to smoke, but I noticed that the consistency of this gathering is odd. There are people there who are already friends - two distinct groups that seem to have a fear of intermingling. The kitchen is crowded, so I go out into the living room and sit down with a buddy, and we're talking. A larger group wanders in, and no one is talking, so I try a few things to get the conversation going.

(On the count of three, everyone's favorite color!

On the count of five, everyone's favorite actor, phone book style, last name first, first name last!

Hey, has anyone seen Avatar?)

but it's not taking. Eventually someone tells a joke, and I think, great! Ice-breaker!

But it was a Dad joke.

So everyone got out their phones and went to joke websites, and started telling jokes from their screen. Which wasn't terrible. But the clean jokes quickly ran out, and they devolved in short order to racist ass, sexist ass 'jokes'. My new roommate, who was at this event as well, tried to call out how gross these were, to be shut down, every time, by N.

"They're just jokes, honey. Calm down."

After about an hour of this, we stepped outside to smoke, and when we came back in, they were setting up Cards Against Humanity.

So we left.

That was... rough.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: football is the equivalent of a movie with one or two really cool scenes and absolutely nothing in-between.

So, Burn After Reading?
    Just kidding
    There weren't any cool scenes in Burn After Reading

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the rocky movies are thanksgiving movies

6vjsgrerts6r.png