As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My worry about Diablo 1 getting remade is that Blizzard will do it as an ARPG instead of a very paced dungeon crawl like it used to be. If the warrior is dashing around into shit and the dungeon is well lit, etc, it won't be the same at all. All Diablo 1 needs in a remake is looking fancier, the menu not taking up half the screen, and that's it. Maybe I can understand the warrior and rogue getting some abilities instead of "just attack" but not a ton plz.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    What I'd really like, but it way too much work, would be for Blizzard to just make a Diablo 3 "expansion" that would be remaking D1/D2

So, like, remaking Diablo 1 and all 5 acts of Diablo 2. New classes of Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer/Sorceress, Amazon, Druid, Assassin, reimagined in D3 ala the Necromancer.

You can take your existing characters into the older games, or you can make a new character and bring them from Diablo 1 all the way to Diablo 3.

Like I said, WAY too much work.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    What I'd really like, but it way too much work, would be for Blizzard to just make a Diablo 3 "expansion" that would be remaking D1/D2

So, like, remaking Diablo 1 and all 5 acts of Diablo 2. New classes of Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer/Sorceress, Amazon, Druid, Assassin, reimagined in D3 ala the Necromancer.

You can take your existing characters into the older games, or you can make a new character and bring them from Diablo 1 all the way to Diablo 3.

Like I said, WAY too much work.

I had a similar thought, then figured we might more likely get a Path of Exile style remake of Diablo 1 and/or 2 campaigns, as an online-only free to play game supported by cosmetic/QoL microtransactions. I could also see them launching it free to play with the Diablo 1 campaign remade within it, and sell expansion campaigns for Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 later. Blizzard is really leaning into the games-as-service monetization systems of late.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    My worry about Diablo 1 getting remade is that Blizzard will do it as an ARPG instead of a very paced dungeon crawl like it used to be. If the warrior is dashing around into shit and the dungeon is well lit, etc, it won't be the same at all. All Diablo 1 needs in a remake is looking fancier, the menu not taking up half the screen, and that's it. Maybe I can understand the warrior and rogue getting some abilities instead of "just attack" but not a ton plz.

This but also:

- Have a sprint option only usable in town or redo the town area so everything is closer so it doesn't take years to travel anywhere that's not the town center.
    - Include click hold to move and attack so our poor mice can live to see another day.

Other than that keep it the simple, slow paced, atmospheric dungeon crawler it is.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love all Diablo games and played them (single player campaign, one loooong run through) a bunch.
    but I never got what's fun about running the last boss for a billion times for no reason... it's not like there is anything you'd need the loot for after the last boss

and it was hacked to shit and you would have to follow a single CORRECT build since the character creation and so on and so forhty

I get that all that horrendous grind was extremely fun to a very particular kind of player, but I fail to see how re-releasing that would be interesting to any company. Not just in a "MOAR MONEY" sense... but what's the point of going all the work to remake the whole game from scratch and defeating all the technical issues just to get a few people to run that gauntlet again in high res?

Remaking D2 would be a billion times harder than redoing SC1 in SC2's engine, because the gameplay itself is far more different. And SC1 is probably still big in Korea... Even WoW classic makes far more sense.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Ideally I would love a full remake of D2 that retells the story and completely redesigns the gameplay. They could use it as sort of a test bed for ideas in D4. Realistically I don't expect that out of the Classics team at all, that's not what they do. If they remaster D2 it will be largely the same game with higher resolution art, new B.net infrastructure with fixes for exploits, etc. Their objective is to keep the classic games playable, not to reimagined them. You could probably expect some balance patches and the like but nothing huge.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    You can now respec your skill tree and you can use synergies. I thought those changes to QoL were all the changes you need to play Diablo 2 without an archaic system holding you back.

What you guys have for a list of wants for D2 remastered are pretty much what you want out of a new diablo game. What you will get from D2 remastered is exactly what you received from Starcraft remastered. The graphics, animations, and sound are what is required to make a game again.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I actually think D1 is the game that needs the remaster first, just in terms of art and sound. That game is so rough to play now.

Zek on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Zek wrote: »
    I actually think D1 is the game that needs the remaster first, just in terms of art and sound. That game is so rough to play now.

Honestly I like those things about it, from a retro perspective (not that they wouldn't improve them in a remaster). But it definitely needs like some mechanics improvements - like, nicety things.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Zek wrote: »

sound?

Diablo 1 is one of the few games I can think of that stands out in my mind as having the best sounds ever. I can't think of any game I've played that's made an impression on me in that manner. Possibly the first Resident Evil

edit: ugh, those two sentences are a mess

I really enjoy the sound in D1 and hope it never changes

Xaquin on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty ok with D1 visuals and sounds today, to be fair.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    They just need to put in controller support in those two games and they’ll have my money.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sure thing, you can now move the mouse cursor with a controller :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Diablo 2 has some legit bugs that need to be addressed, it really can't just be "we made everything look better." If it's still broken, it's broken. And I wouldn't buy it.

• Options
    ok

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    You can now respec your skill tree and you can use synergies. I thought those changes to QoL were all the changes you need to play Diablo 2 without an archaic system holding you back.

What you guys have for a list of wants for D2 remastered are pretty much what you want out of a new diablo game. What you will get from D2 remastered is exactly what you received from Starcraft remastered. The graphics, animations, and sound are what is required to make a game again.

If a remaster is indeed what's coming and not a remake.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I would be down for D1 with better art and some QoL improvements.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    My worry about Diablo 1 getting remade is that Blizzard will do it as an ARPG instead of a very paced dungeon crawl like it used to be. If the warrior is dashing around into shit and the dungeon is well lit, etc, it won't be the same at all.

They should just go 180 and make it fully turn-based as Condor originally intended before Blizzard came on. I mean that might even be playable on mobile. Add in hunger and all the other dumb systems (permadeath/ no save scumming) to make it a true roguelike.

• Options
    all 3D model-based sprites replaced with claymation as originally intended

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    My worry about Diablo 1 getting remade is that Blizzard will do it as an ARPG instead of a very paced dungeon crawl like it used to be. If the warrior is dashing around into shit and the dungeon is well lit, etc, it won't be the same at all.

They should just go 180 and make it fully turn-based as Condor originally intended before Blizzard came on. I mean that might even be playable on mobile. Add in hunger and all the other dumb systems (permadeath/ no save scumming) to make it a true roguelike.

:bigfrown: I think the game is as rogue-like as it gets without getting seriously handicapping dueling and other systems.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    :bigfrown: I think the game is as rogue-like as it gets without getting seriously handicapping dueling and other systems.

There is no such thing as too much roguelike.

I mean who even suggested multiplayer would survive at all!

(For context, Condor originally made D1 as a turn-based single-player game. It was a by-the-books ASCII-style roguelike with pretty graphics, I think there's even some unused food assets. When Blizzard bought the studio and renamed it Blizzard North, they forced them to turn it into a real-time multiplayer test run for battle.net prior to Stacraft launch, which is why there is so much multiplayer jank like barely defined classes, horrible netcode. and most quests trapped in single player. This genre was basically invented by corporate greed overriding devs original vision for the game, which somehow turned out extraordinarily well.)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Apparently one off the vendors at BlizzCon put out a floor map that has a second big demo area that isn't on the official floormap, next to the Diablo demo area.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Geno for diablo 4

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Geno for diablo 4

Grinch Leak for Diablo 4.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Geno for diablo 4

Grinch Leak for Diablo 4.

Azmodan already exists. Play the Grinch's theme song over the course of act 3 and it's like Dr. Seuss every time Azmodan dialogue boxes at you.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Happy Blizzcon Day, everyone!

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'm at work. Keep me updated on announcements!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I won a virtual ticket from a free raffle that I entered for "why not" reasons, so I kind of feel obligated to watch even the stuff I'm not 100% interested in. Good thing I work early mornings and have the afternoon free!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    A fucking mobile diablo game!? Fuck off

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How much of this is viewable without a ticket?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    How much of this is viewable without a ticket?

Just the opening ceremony, IIRC.

• Options
    edited November 2018

For context, the demo area is showing covered boxes on tables that are too short to even hold a standard monitor. Ipads seem likely, but I suppose gaming laptops aren't out of the question.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Oh boy!

• Options

For context, the demo area is showing covered boxes on tables that are too short to even hold a standard monitor. Ipads seem likely.

Could they be Switches? I guess we'll find out.

• Options
    Okay, the crashing of hype for me has reached enjoyable levels.

DIablo 4! Wait, no Diablo 4? Diablo 2 Remaster! Wait, probably not on PC? Diablo Mobile game! Or wait, it could be a switch. Demoing Diablo 3 for switch that just came out.

Like, charting that on an enthusiasm graph, it'd totally be a straight line.

• Options

For context, the demo area is showing covered boxes on tables that are too short to even hold a standard monitor. Ipads seem likely.

That is my guess. Blizzard hasn't entered the mobile market yet and I doubt it ever will.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options

That is my guess. Blizzard hasn't entered the mobile market yet and I doubt it ever will.

Why? I think they would be foolish not to tbh. Even Nintendo is doing it.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah I don't think a mobile game is impossible, but I'd be a bit disappointed even as someone who hasn't followed Diablo in years. I'd be like, empathically disappointed.

Edit: Hell yeah bearded dude in D.Va cosplay. What a rock star. The host was all "what can you tell us about your cosplay"

dude: "Uh, I'm D.Va."

BloodySloth on
  • Options

Hearthstone's eleventy billion players notwithstanding?