Options

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Additionally, the sing-song of "Well he/she never gonna be president now" has become our default reaction for anything involving the 2016 primaries.

Well i'm definitely going to be doing this now

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    I'm getting near the end of my history/formerly education major and damn near anything
    that gets people to give a shit about history is great. Musicals, TV shows, podcasts, movies... I don't care if they're as accurate as 300, at least that movie got some people I know to actually go out and get books on ancient Greece.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Man, the music in this. I just realized that the piano line of Cabinet Battle #1 is basically Phillip's piano theme (because it leads directly into its introduction).

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay where can I hear this Secretary of the Treasury musical?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

It's on Spotify and also there's a youtube playlist if that's more your speed

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    It's also free on amazon prime.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Hamilton! Have LaFayette take the lead.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Hamilton! Have LaFayette take the lead.

Yes sir!

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm not normally into musicals so I was skeptical I'd be into Hamilton

Then I listened to it and I'm way into Hamilton you guys

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm very picky with my musicals selection and normally can't stand cast recordings

And I listened to it once just to see what the buzz was

And then like a week or two later listened to it three days in a row because it stuck with me that hard

• Options
    It's all i've listened to since Saturday

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm very picky with my musicals selection and normally can't stand cast recordings

And I listened to it once just to see what the buzz was

And then like a week or two later listened to it three days in a row because it stuck with me that hard

I remember you saying that the once would be enough, because OCRs aren't your thing

And I just started thinking, "You'll be back. Soon you'll see."

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Like, I'd still prefer it if it was designed in more of a rock opera/mixtape format

But there's enough rad stuff that I keep needing to go back to it in the only form I can get it

• Options
    Gonna rap on "The Story of Tonight" for a bit, i/r/t how it slots with the show's overall themes.

I'd wondered for a bit how that song made the cut, when it's a bit of a downtempo, "filler" number. It's a nice respite, a chance to catch one's breath before the pace picks back up, but it seemed... Slight. So I started examining it more closely, trying to see what Lin-Manuel might see in it.

So you have these guys (Hamilton, Laurens, Mulligan, Lafayette) singing about how this night, their meeting, will be remembered. It will go down in history, this coming together of these great minds. But all four of them tend to be overlooked in the history books - I hadn't heard of Mulligan at all until this musical, and the other figures are little more than footnotes. Their meeting isn't spoken of, it isn't the subject of song and legend (Until now, which is its own bit of interesting). When they're caught up in the moment, they think this is gonna be big. And they're completely wrong, because they don't decide who lives, who dies, who tells their story. It's maybe the first instance in the musical of that idea that you can't predict the historical significance of a moment that you're in, and that any attempt to do so is a crapshoot at best.

That Lin-Manuel doesn't layer on the irony too thick, that he lets their voices be earnest and lets the historical context provide the irony, is so subtly done and perfect.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    hey you wanna know what was really dumb?

duels

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    You guys have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that musical theater is transforming people's lives for the better.

• Options

duels

Yeah

I mean, sort of

There's a lot of complicated history that goes into dueling

And while they definitely seem weird from an outsider's perspective, there's a cultural level to dueling that is, if nothing else, very noteworthy

I'd recommend Gentleman's Blood if you're interested in learning more about dueling

It's a solid overview of the custom and how it evolved through history

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I own and need to read that book.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

duels

I'd agree that they are both dumb and immature

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    When they were doing the wrap up I reeeealy expected the thing Eliza campaigned against to be Duels.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

duels

I'd agree that they are both dumb and immature

A quote from the event that led to the last fatal duel in Scotland:
    "Take that, sir. By God, sir, you shall more of this yet!"

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Neat fact for those of you who are familiar with Miranda's first musical (In The Heights), Eliza Hamilton actually founded the first school in Washington Heights.

Miranda almost included this in the end of Hamilton, complete with the orchestra playing a bit of In The Height's main theme, but decided it was too on the nose.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think for a solid week now the audio in my head has just been a loop of the DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA bits from the King George interludes

Yeah I've been humming those bits a lot lately.

You both have company . . .

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think for a solid week now the audio in my head has just been a loop of the DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA bits from the King George interludes

Oh course Josh Lyman would be a fan.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I WANNA SEE BRADLEY WHITFORD SING YOU'LL BE BACK SO BAD

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I WANNA SEE BRADLEY WHITFORD SING YOU'LL BE BACK SO BAD

I was literally downtown that day

I am so upset I didn't see him

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Oh course Josh Lyman would be a fan.

It's funny jumping over to his twitter and seeing how much of it is him nerding out over Hamilton

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I hate all of you. I now have the first song stuck in my head.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I hate all of you. I now have the first song stuck in my head.

That just means you have to keep going.
    Until they're all stuck.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think my single favorite thing is the growling "RISE UP"s in Right Hand Man

Here comes the general

RIIIIIIIISE UP

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really like the breathless delivery in Aaron Burr, Sir

like it kinda shows how excitable and enthusiastic Hamilton is

• Options
    I think there's only one line in the whole show I don't like, ("I called you here because our odds are beyond scary"), and even that line is okay. It's just ever-so-slightly clunky in a musical that's otherwise basically perfect.

Then again, Washington explicitly mentions how his eloquence is overstated by his men, so the slight clunkiness could totally play into that. Hmm.

Fuckin' Lin-Manuel. What a dick. Even a line that could be perceived as a bum line can just as easily be read as intentional stylistic and thematic decision.

• Options
    I really dig all the little reaction sounds/comments from other characters during songs. LaFayette's "wow." after Mulligan's first verse in Aaron Burr, Sir, Hamilton's "oh, shit." when Burr mentions his lover is married to a british officer

and like, a third of "We Know"

"you see it was my wife you you decided to-" "whaaat"

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm loving the amount of re-listen value the whole thing has, if just because there's so much stuff going on in each individual song (and line (and sometimes word/note/etc)) that someone willing to pay some attention is going to keep finding more neatness as you go through.

Going back to the musical as a way of showing off the history, I was especially struck by Your Obedient Servant after reading the actual letters between Hamilton and Burr that precipitated the duel. When you account for the scrupulously polite and longwinded wording of the letters, the tone worsening in the letters feels pretty much the same as in the song. Burr still starts with a "um, dude, really?" note and flares up at Hamilton's "I'm not sure which of my countless affronts you're reacting to, sir" in much the same way.

It would've been easy to just have an increasingly nasty exchange of letters, but I love that he actually modeled the primary sources, if in a really condensed way.

(I also like how the tone was handled in the song too; you can feel the tone deteriorating and going out of control as opposed to a straight-up planned callout.)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    In his own house? Damn.

• Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    Just got back from a group run during which I pitched Hamilton to the people I was with for a full mile. I guess that's what happens when I have to leave the headphones at home now?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I really like that a lack of primary sources became both a plot point and a defining character moment

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    i love love love how excited king george is about the idea that america's going to collapse under john adams

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    i love love love how excited king george is about the idea that america's going to collapse under john adams
    Jesus christ this is going to be fun!!!

CYpGAPn.png