Options

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I just got to the first King song

Hes incredible

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I just got to the first King song

Hes incredible
    He's Kristoff from Frozen!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So I'm probably not going to finish this because I have to listen to guns and ships 20 times on repeat

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There's something about It's Quiet Uptown that speaks to me very deeply.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So I'm probably not going to finish this because I have to listen to guns and ships 20 times on repeat

Everyone give it up for America's favorite fighting Frenchman!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Also I haven't really seen many people say it but Washington is really, really good

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Washington does a great job of capturing both larger than life figure and real person

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I stopped after the first half yesterday, cause I didn't know how it'd top Guns and Ships with the war finished. But then the second half was just as great! I think The Room Where It Happened might be my favorite.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    n reality, Chernow says that Alexander had a single friend, and no family at his wedding. Lin-Manuel Miranda gave his reasoning behind the change:

The real Eliza/Alexander wedding is too heartbreaking for so early in a musical. I decided to make it heartbreaking for different reasons.

:(

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    It was said earlier but in One Last Time where Washington talks about the "old vine and fig tree" it gets me everytime.

Also his line "Dying is easy, living is harder."

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also, god Damn does HERCULES MULLIGAN get me pumped every time

• Options
    Had to stop for the night at delegate battle 2 or whatever its called

I already knew that Hamilton argued against going to help lafeyette but still bums me out

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Had to stop for the night at delegate battle 2 or whatever its called

I already knew that Hamilton argued against going to help lafeyette but still bums me out
    He had a good point though.

Dragging the states into a European war that early when we could barely agree how to govern domesticly would have been a huge mistake. IMO.

Uriel on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    it's not the biggest or best song but farmer refuted is pretty friggin' great

The overlap between Hamilton and Seabury is so unbelievably good that I listen to it a lot

It's when they overlap homophones (have not your interests at heart/hard to listen to you with a straight face) that I get really impressed

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also, telling all my friends about this with mixed success. Weird that no-one else I know has heard of it. I mean, I guess that I've only really heard about it on tumblr and then this forum, but still.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I'm listening to this for the first time.

Good lord this is amazing.

Also as a sidenote @facetious are you a History teacher? Because I'm like a year away from having my degrees and stuff to do exactly that.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So how long until Lin-Manuel Miranda finishes his EGOT

I bet less than 10 years, cause if there's any sort of Grammy for original cast recordings, he's got it in the bag for the next time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I bet less than 10 years, cause if there's any sort of Grammy for original cast recordings, he's got it in the bag for the next time

He got the Grammy in '09. All he needs is an Oscar, which he will almost assuredly get for that Disney movie with the Rock

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Wikipedia shows he's already got the E G & T

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Will he be the first EGOT to also get a genius grant?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

He got the Grammy in '09. All he needs is an Oscar, which he will almost assuredly get for that Disney movie with the Rock
    Oh man I forgot he was doing the music for that

OH MAN HE IS DOING THE MUSIC FOR THAT

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think I like the war half of the play more?

Both are, obviously, fantastic and the governing half obviously carries a lot more dramatic weight and has the absolutely genius Cabinet Battles

But there are soooo many amazing songs in the War half and I like Lafayette more than Jefferson and HERCULES MULLIGAN and and and

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Wait For It, Satisfied, My Shot, Guns and Ships, You'll be Back, and Yorktown are all in Act 1

I don't think you can possibly beat that

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Wait For It, Satisfied, My Shot, Guns and Ships, You'll be Back, and Yorktown are all in Act 1

Plus Alexander Hamilton which is just perfection

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    @Nirya Not a history teacher, I'm what we term a "historic interpreter" - I work at a historic site in costume, leading tours, doing demonstrations, etc., generally showing what life was like in the period (I specifically represent an 1880s - and occasionally War of 1812 - soldier) while discussing the history of the site and how it ties into a broader context. The idea is to make it interesting and entertaining, while also being educational - getting people interested in pursuing further, whether that means asking questions after demonstrations, or doing their own further reading, or just having a better appreciation for history in general, etc.

There's a pretty seminal work about the role, written originally for the National Park Service in the 1950s that's still relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_interpretation#.22Tilden.27s_principles.22_of_interpretation

But in general, it's less about reciting every specific date or whatever, and more about giving people something they can relate to to make history seem less.... alien. Or alienating.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hey you wanna know what was really dumb?

duels

All three duels in the play do a good job of portraying just how stupid and pathetic violence is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You cosplay history. That's awesome.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Burr being too late to notice Hamilton is shooting at the sky is possibly the most heartbreaking moment in the play

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Plus Alexander Hamilton which is just perfection

Even Aaron Burr, Sir is just excellent

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I've fired a cannon like 2000 times.

Also I get to fire antique rifles. And do lots of other things I never in my life thought I'd get to do on a daily basis, let alone all the random extra things I've gotten to do stemming from the job. (TV interviews, colour guard ceremonies, standing behind the governor as he gives a speech and shaking his hand afterward.... to name a few)

It's fun.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    @Nirya Not a history teacher, I'm what we term a "historic interpreter" - I work at a historic site in costume, leading tours, doing demonstrations, etc., generally showing what life was like in the period (I specifically represent an 1880s - and occasionally War of 1812 - soldier) while discussing the history of the site and how it ties into a broader context. The idea is to make it interesting and entertaining, while also being educational - getting people interested in pursuing further, whether that means asking questions after demonstrations, or doing their own further reading, or just having a better appreciation for history in general, etc.

There's a pretty seminal work about the role, written originally for the National Park Service in the 1950s that's still relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_interpretation#.22Tilden.27s_principles.22_of_interpretation

But in general, it's less about reciting every specific date or whatever, and more about giving people something they can relate to to make history seem less.... alien. Or alienating.

Oh hey, I was a historical interpreter for a year or so. It was (mostly) great!

• Options
    HOWEVER now that i've listed my favorite act 1's i gotta list my favorite act 2's

Both Cabinet Battles, Take a Break, Say No To This, One Last Time, Burn, It's Quiet Uptown, Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Burr being too late to notice Hamilton is shooting at the sky is possibly the most heartbreaking moment in the play

because i was bored i was looking at the wikipedia page on the burr-hamilton duel

apparently the customary way to throw away your shot was to shoot at the ground, not into the air, because then it was unclear if you were throwing it away or if you just missed, so if hamilton was throwing away his shot he kind of fucked up

apparently also there's a lot of dispute over whether he purposely threw away the shot or missed, or if he shot by accident because the pistol had a hair trigger, but whatever the reason it seems like burr's shot was undeniably justifiable self defense

obviously having him throw the shot away is the best thing to do dramatically and the show doesn't really mind futzing details in the name of dramatic license

• Options
    Shooting it into the sky is definitely more dramatic than shooting it down into the ground

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Shooting it into the sky is definitely more dramatic than shooting it down into the ground

his bullet lodged into a tree branch behind burr so it's not like he just shot straight up

basically it seems pretty unlikely that he intentionally threw the shot away. he probably either missed or misfired

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Nirya Not a history teacher, I'm what we term a "historic interpreter" - I work at a historic site in costume, leading tours, doing demonstrations, etc., generally showing what life was like in the period (I specifically represent an 1880s - and occasionally War of 1812 - soldier) while discussing the history of the site and how it ties into a broader context. The idea is to make it interesting and entertaining, while also being educational - getting people interested in pursuing further, whether that means asking questions after demonstrations, or doing their own further reading, or just having a better appreciation for history in general, etc.

This is really cool!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    also apparently one of the main reasons people assumed he threw the shot away was because he wrote a letter the morning of the duel that said he was going to

and then some other people speculate on whether that was truthful or if he did it so that even if he lost the duel he'd have left behind evidence that incriminated burr as a murderer

which sounds ridiculous

but alexander hamilton was kind of a ridiculous guy, so

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Yeah I could totally buy Hamilton doing that

Basically all of the founding fathers were crazy and weird in their own different ways and are so goddamn fascinating

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I have got to stop listening to this so close to going to bed. I have a hard enough time getting it out of my head in the first place.

Edit - Goodbye sleep.

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    seriously though

people in old times used to think "if you insult me badly enough then we need to go out to a field and SHOOT AT EACH OTHER"

why was that a thing?!