[Hamilton] or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Lin-Manuel Miranda

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    fun fact: during 'Meet Me Inside' on the Hamilton soundtrack, I almost cry every single time I hear the 'CALL ME SON ONE MORE TIME' line

every time i hear it i only hear the context in that my own father refuses to acknowledge my name no matter how many times i call him out

actually this fact isn't very fun but i felt like sharing it, it's a very powerful line to me anyway.

Aw, hugs

nicopernicusNeoTomafacetiousWeedLordVegetaOne Thousand CablesThe JudgeJacques L'HommeTofystedethSlacker71ThatDudeOverThereErin The Redchrishallett83
  • QanamilQanamil life cheated us all and i'm full of angst Registered User regular
    this thing has been taking over tumblr for the past month or so and now it's here

I guess I should check it out, huh

Yeah, it's been really interesting watching this rocket from just another musical to something everybody is talking about over the course of the past month or so.

Got repped in the Groove thread and really glad I gave it a shot because this is solid stuff. I like In The Heights too, also by Lin-Manuel Miranda, but not nearly this much.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Seeing this live seems like it would be a whole different experience than listening to the album

Everything I've seen of the live show looks like it wholeheartedly embraces and plays with the inherent silliness of a rap musical about the founding fathers, and you don't really get that out of the album

6F32U1X.png
    NeoToma
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Since someone referenced "Sit Down, John":

(1776 is a goofy little show but I have a lot of affection for it anyway.)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
    QanamilSlacker71lonelyahava
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    For those who haven't seen it, some straight-up (badass) raps from Lin-Manuel Miranda, Daveed Diggs, and Renée Goldsberry:

http://www.bet.com/video/hiphopawards/2015/cyphers/hamilton-cypher-explicit.html

The Betgirl-TalThe JudgeStraightzi
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Seeing this live seems like it would be a whole different experience than listening to the album

Everything I've seen of the live show looks like it wholeheartedly embraces and plays with the inherent silliness of a rap musical about the founding fathers, and you don't really get that out of the album

The album isn't afraid to throw serious but the entire King George role in the play definitely sets the tone as not exclusively that

Erin The Red
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    https://instagram.com/kathleengcameron/

watch these instagram videos please

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com
    -TalSlacker71
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    My favorite song changes from day to day. Right now it is either satisfied or burn.

-Tal
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Lafayette is one of my favorite historical figures so I've got a real big soft spot for Guns and Ships

CYpGAPn.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    For the record, anyone on the fence about this

This is a solo performance of the opening song when it was written back in 2009

If you like this, it only gets better from there

Fuuuuuuuck I really need to listen to this

IKknkhU.gif
    Ms DapperThe BetgirlBhowSlacker71WeX Majors
    The whole third fundamental truth verse from Satisfied cements it easily as my favorite in the album

-TalBeef AvengerDiplominator
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator mod
    I think "The Room Where It Happens" and "One Last Time" are kind of sneaking up my rankings

-TalNeoTomaJimothy
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Cheers Luv! King's RowRegistered User regular
    Room Where It Happens it a definite show stealer for me.

tumblr_oj5c1nDyyk1sk79exo1_250.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by beroberos Sig by jawlipops
    Satisfied takes the gold for me both for being a fucking banger as well as doing some incredible storytelling shit that I've never heard in a musical before

CYpGAPn.png
    NeoTomaPoorochondriacLasbrookAtari Soul-TalCilla BlacknicopernicusmasterofmetroidThe BetgirlZellpherYaYaLalaboxNarbusErin The Red
    God, Room Where It Happens? I'll give it a few more listens, it wasn't a standout to me.

ineedmayo.com
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I think "The Room Where It Happens" and "One Last Time" are kind of sneaking up my rankings

"my own vine, and fig tree" really gets me every time

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Ms Dapper
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Cheers Luv! King's RowRegistered User regular
    Burn hasn't done much for me tbh.

tumblr_oj5c1nDyyk1sk79exo1_250.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by beroberos Sig by jawlipops
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Charles Lee's "I'm a general. Whee!!!" also gets me every time

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    BlankZoe-TalDJ EebsThe BetgirlknitdanZibblsnrtCosQanamilYaYamasterofmetroidJimothyLalaboxNarbuslonelyahavaKetBraGreen
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Burr grows on me with each listen.

Fearghaill
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Charles Lee's "I'm a general. Whee!!!" also gets me every time

My only knowledge of Charles Lee comes from Assassin's Creed 3, where he is portrayed as a being made entirely of sweat and facegrease, so this was extra fun

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    CosDouglasDanger
    Speaking of Charles Lee, a musical moment I dig is "Meet Me Inside" beginning in 7/4, after his and Laurens' duel. Really the only moment that tries to capture the disarray/chaos in the immediate aftermath of violence, and the uncommon time signature helps pull the rug out from under the listener

also it does cool things for their flow and the "dropped" beat mirrors Lee getting fuckin' dropped, especially after the previous song was 4 dudes divided evenly into teams in 4/4

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    The BetgirlHermanoZibblsnrtKana
    I mean, I know they're not fictional characters or anything, but something I love about the portrayal of Eliza and Angelica in the musical is how unwavering their loyalty to each other is.

There isn't any pettiness towards each other, ever, and the musical never stoops so low as to add any real love triangle conflict. There is some angst but it largely serves the function of demonstrating how devoted Angelica is to her sister.

A more poorly written musical would absolutely have had them at each other's throats, I feel, regardless of whatever actual history says. Instead it's a very positive and ultimately uplifting sisterly relationship that ends up feeling incredibly refreshing.

The Betgirlmasterofmetroid
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Leslie Odom captures the smug appeasing nature of Burr so well in his delivery. Every time he and Hamilton have an exchange it bleeds through and I love it.

Zellpher on
    NeoTomaErin The Red
    You know what

Alexander Hamilton, the opening, is fucking perfect

ineedmayo.com
    BlankZoeZellpherMs DapperSpeed RacerFearghaillZibblsnrtCosmasterofmetroidJimothyvegeta_666LalaboxlonelyahavaErin The Red
    You know what

Yeah it is just a ludicrously strong intro

And somehow the play manages to keep it up from there!

CYpGAPn.png
    NeoToma
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You know what

It doesn't even stop! It just flows so smoothly into Aaron Burr, Sir, and everything just keeps going from there. It's really incredible how well the first...8 songs or so in the intro, until we get to introducing washington, just move together

ineedmayo.com
    BlankZoelonelyahava
    Honestly one of my favorite gags is King George's "Awesome! Wowww!" in What Comes Next

It's just so perfectly dickish

CYpGAPn.png
    The BetgirlZellphernicopernicusCosYaYaJimothylonelyahavaGreenMatev
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Honestly one of my favorite gags is King George's "Awesome! Wowww!" in What Comes Next

It's just so perfectly dickish

It's jarring as hell. One of the best laughs I got out of the whole thing. That and Hamilton's response in Cabinet Battle #2 got me the hardest.

e: wait, no it was
    SOUTHERN MOTHER FUCKING DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS.

Got me a lot of stares on the trolley.

Zellpher on
    Beef AvengerFearghaillSlacker71
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i finally listened to all of the back end

aw jeez

awwwww jeez

just

just gotta

wipe this water off my face

oh no i tripped because my vision is blurry and now i'm dead

Beef AvengerThe BetgirlNeoTomaQanamilYaYaseasleepymasterofmetroidLalaboxWeX MajorslonelyahavaGreenErin The RedMatev
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    For real though the word play in the lyrics of this thing are unreal

Are there any lines that don't have a double meaning

The Betgirl
    For real though the word play in the lyrics of this thing are unreal

Are there any lines that don't have a double meaning
    I'M A GENERAL

WHEEEEE

CYpGAPn.png
    lonelyahava
    I can't help but imagine Charles lee as the shitty greasy mustache man that he is in assassin's creed 3

• FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Oceans rise, empires fall
    We have seen each other through it all
    And when push comes to shove
    I will send a fully armed battalion
    To remind you of my love

BlankZoeGrey GhostThe BetgirlJayKaosNeoTomaCosCilla BlackJimothyknitdanSlacker71Moridin889KanaCimmeriiFlarneRobonunGreenErin The RedMatev
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Oceans rise, empires fall
    We have seen each other through it all
    And when push comes to shove
    I will send a fully armed battalion
    To remind you of my love
    LA DA DA DA DAAAAA

CYpGAPn.png
    FearghaillGrey GhostThe BetgirlJayKaosNeoTomaZibblsnrtKanaErin The RedMatev
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    You know what

Miranda said in an interview that he originally considered having the play be acted normally between songs, but the intro set the bar so high that he had to keep going and write the whole thing in song

BlankZoeThe BetgirlNeoTomawanderingThatDudeOverThereErin The RedMatev
    Lafayette is one of my favorite historical figures so I've got a real big soft spot for Guns and Ships

Everyone give it up for
    America's favorite
    Fighting
    FRENCHMAAAAAN
    sHkCShZl.jpg

(Daveed Diggs is incredible)

BlankZoeThe BetgirlHermanoCosMorivethThe JudgeJimothyZibblsnrtThatDudeOverThereErin The Red
    That and HERCULES MULLIGAN blew me the hell away when I first listened through

Just

So good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So this thing is super amazing, and in the related videos of him performing at the White House there's another super amazing thing

This made me tear up and I'm not even sure why.

The Hanged Man