As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    One of my favorite moments is when Burr and Hamilton are talking in ... I think Story of Tonight Reprise

"She's married."
    "I see..."
    "She's married to a British officer"
    "Oh shit"

Which is just suddenly not sung at all or any music behind it, it's just perfect

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    How interesting might I find this as a non-American with no experience of musicals?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Just listen to the first 3 tracks and if those don't grab you, you might not be into the rest

Edit: the thing is that even if it weren't historical, the music and performances are all incredible. It just happens to be about American history.

The Betgirl on
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I listened to the first track and it was fun, but I'm not in the habit of dedicating 2.5 hours to listening to music (or really listening to music much at all). Perhaps a better question might be what would be the best way to get the most out of it; listening all the way through, or pausing to go through the breakdowns and details on Genius?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    How interesting might I find this as a non-American with no experience of musicals?

If you stubbornly hate all hip hop, you won't like it.

Otherwise, it seems pretty great on every level.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I listened to the first track and it was fun, but I'm not in the habit of dedicating 2.5 hours to listening to music (or really listening to music much at all). Perhaps a better question might be what would be the best way to get the most out of it; listening all the way through, or pausing to go through the breakdowns and details on Genius?

I listened to it over the course of several days, just whenever I had the time, and it was perfectly fine

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I'm enjoying it immensely, as a similarly non-American without prior experience of musicals

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

The genius stuff really helps with stage setting and a brief on that moment in their lives/American history. My first listening did it reading the main annotation and then listening to the song, this will make it take longer though.

• Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You know what

Alexander Hamilton, the opening, is fucking perfect
    Yeah it is just a ludicrously strong intro

And somehow the play manages to keep it up from there!

It doesn't even stop! It just flows so smoothly into Aaron Burr, Sir, and everything just keeps going from there. It's really incredible how well the first...8 songs or so in the intro, until we get to introducing washington, just move together

You might even say it's NON-STOP

....I'm sorry

....I'll go now

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Cos wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You know what

Alexander Hamilton, the opening, is fucking perfect
    Yeah it is just a ludicrously strong intro

And somehow the play manages to keep it up from there!

It doesn't even stop! It just flows so smoothly into Aaron Burr, Sir, and everything just keeps going from there. It's really incredible how well the first...8 songs or so in the intro, until we get to introducing washington, just move together

You might even say it's NON-STOP

....I'm sorry

....I'll go now

why do you post like you're running out of time

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    We are Out Gunned!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the best part of this for me is that everyone involved seems to be having the time of their life, and Miranda himself seems like a really great person

little things, like before every show they hold a raffle to allow 21 lucky people to buy a front-row ticket for $10 (because hamiltons, of course), and because he wants even the people who don't win to get something special, every one of these raffles is accompanied by a 5-10 minute impromptu street performance by members of the cast doing something different every day

also his acceptance speech when he won his first Tony for In the Heights was absolutely incredible:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6icWf6CB8

Immigrants, they get the job done.
    1WM0jQD.gif

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Lin's Tony speech was the moment I went from "what's In The Heights? I've never heard of it" to "I am going to fly to New York to see that"

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The first place I heard of Lin Manuel Miranda was on House

He was even good there

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    For the record, anyone on the fence about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

This is a solo performance of the opening song when it was written back in 2009

If you like this, it only gets better from there

Yeah, OK, jumped over to itunes and bought the broadway recording before this video was half done. Thanks for making me aware of this!

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    A friend of mine who is a history major is being really annoying about this

I told him it's inspiring people to learn more about the start of the country and slightly more obscure people like Hamilton and Burr

To which he said, and I'm damn near quoting

"Fuck those dumb fucks, they should know this shit already because it's important, not cause some stupid play made it cool"

He gets like this whenever any cultural thing is about history

Like clockwork, every year the new Assassin's Creed makes steam come out of his ears

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Perhaps he should get over himself

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Hamilton is excellent historical fiction

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, history being in stuff is the best.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    A friend of mine who is a history major is being really annoying about this

I told him it's inspiring people to learn more about the start of the country and slightly more obscure people like Hamilton and Burr

To which he said, and I'm damn near quoting

"Fuck those dumb fucks, they should know this shit already because it's important, not cause some stupid play made it cool"

He gets like this whenever any cultural thing is about history

Like clockwork, every year the new Assassin's Creed makes steam come out of his ears

tell him literally every person alive thinks that the thing their major is about is the most important thing and everyone should know it

Actually don't tell him anything, thats a stupid shitty attitude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    the best part of this for me is that everyone involved seems to be having the time of their life, and Miranda himself seems like a really great person

little things, like before every show they hold a raffle to allow 21 lucky people to buy a front-row ticket for $10 (because hamiltons, of course), and because he wants even the people who don't win to get something special, every one of these raffles is accompanied by a 5-10 minute impromptu street performance by members of the cast doing something different every day

also his acceptance speech when he won his first Tony for In the Heights was absolutely incredible:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6icWf6CB8

Immigrants, they get the job done.
    1WM0jQD.gif

Also, he gets choked up reading the first few paragraphs of Chernow's book, which talk about Eliza in her later years.

• Options
    do doctors get fucking pissed about osmosis jones

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Bah, as someone who works a job where I teach people about history, I fucking haaaaaaate that attitude. And it's that attitude that often makes it difficult for visitors to be willing to ask what they perceive to be "dumb" questions. We should celebrate people wanting to learn, no matter what their starting point is!

(There's also classist undertones to assuming everyone should know certain things, but that's another discussion...)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    He strongly believes every American citizen should read the Federalist Papers in their entirety

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    He strongly believes every American citizen should read the Federalist Papers in their entirety

And I beleive every american citizen should understand the importance of proper password and online identity management

tough shiiiiiit

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Tell him Hey, this is why you gotta take those liberal arts classes Mr. history major

Alternatively, tell him to be careful how he proceeds, good man

NeoToma on
  • Options

jesus christ who has that kind of time?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I get that attitude, honestly. I've been there myself in the past. I love history, I find it absolutely fascinating, and I've often joked that the reason I studied history instead of literature for my undergrad is because history has the better stories.

So every time I encounter someone who prefaces their love of something like Hamilton with a, "You know I usually don't enjoy history, but..." it raises my hackles a bit.

Because history is that good already, if you just are willing to throw yourself into it and learn about it.

Of course, getting pissy about that is the wrong attitude to take, because what the person said is not, "History blows, nerd" but "Wait maybe history is a cool thing, even if you are a giant nerd."

And I think it's sometimes hard to connect those dots, but that's what you gotta do.

• Options
    I recently left a job working at a historic foundation, and I picked up a lot working there—but it was all Civil War/Reconstruction history. History covers literally all time, and it's silly to expect everyone to know everything or that your favorite period of time is better than another.

Also, listening to Hamilton prompted me to buy and start reading Chernow's biography and bone up on my Revolutionary War knowledge, so boo to your friend.

• Options
    even hamilton's own wife was like "wow this is a lot..."

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    History is absolutely fascinating but I only have so much time I can devote to anything that isn't trying to keep myself alive! If I had infinite free time you can bet I'd dig into some history, but, yknow, I have to study for my own majors.

I get it, but it's just not possible for a lot of people.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I get that attitude, honestly. I've been there myself in the past. I love history, I find it absolutely fascinating, and I've often joked that the reason I studied history instead of literature for my undergrad is because history has the better stories.

So every time I encounter someone who prefaces their love of something like Hamilton with a, "You know I usually don't enjoy history, but..." it raises my hackles a bit.

Because history is that good already, if you just are willing to throw yourself into it and learn about it.

Of course, getting pissy about that is the wrong attitude to take, because what the person said is not, "History blows, nerd" but "Wait maybe history is a cool thing, even if you are a giant nerd."

And I think it's sometimes hard to connect those dots, but that's what you gotta do.

It sounds like Mr Gs friend isn't even saying its good/interesting, just that they should know it because its important

which like, many things are

but time is not infinite

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    History is hard to get into because(as in all things) there is a lot of bad history out there.

It should be real hard to make it uninteresting but people find a way

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    History as taught in schools is also complete fucking garbage the vast majority of the time. It took having a really good teacher in 8th grade who actually, like, tried to make things interesting for me to not actively hate history. And now look at me. (And this is why I'm so passionate about my job, which isn't purely about just reciting facts but more getting people involved and interested in learning more.)

So something like Hamilton that is likely to appeal to people who might not otherwise have a reason to care about history is actually super important, I feel.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

It sounds like Mr Gs friend isn't even saying its good/interesting, just that they should know it because its important

which like, many things are

but time is not infinite

Yeah

I mean, history is really important

But that's why people devote their entire lives to studying it

That's why we have historians

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    ‘Hamilton’ is saving NYC’s education system
    Last week, the producers of “Hamilton” announced a partnership with The Rockefeller Foundation through which 20,000 underprivileged New York City high-school students will be given tickets for $10 (one Hamilton).

Students will be required to complete a research project on a historical figure, event or document and then turn their research into an “artistic expression,” such as a song or poem, which
    they’ll then share with the cast of “Hamilton” before special student-only matinees.
    The modern way Hamilton’s story is told — Miranda weaves rap, hip-hop, pop music and traditional Broadway together in one beautiful tapestry — along with the fact that the astonishingly talented cast is comprised of mostly black and Latino actors, has led to underprivileged, minority students coming away from the show with a changed view of America and themselves.

I spoke with a group of students at Democracy Prep Charter High School in Harlem who were fortunate to see the show during its run at The Public Theater. To say the show was mind-opening for them would be an understatement. “Hamilton” was a “profoundly transformative experience for our kids,” School Principal Natasha Trivers told me. It clearly was.

One African-American girl told me, “ ‘Hamilton’ made me realize that this is our country, too.”

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Ran a half-marathon almost two weeks ago and Hamilton took up over half the playlist I set up.

If I didn't use certain songs to pace myself, it would have comprised the whole thing.

So good.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    a problem with how history is taught is that the people of history are dehumanized and good historical fiction reminds us that figures like alexander hamilton and aaron burr were still humans with lives, not just robots who did this thing at this date

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    ‘Hamilton’ is saving NYC’s education system
    Last week, the producers of “Hamilton” announced a partnership with The Rockefeller Foundation through which 20,000 underprivileged New York City high-school students will be given tickets for $10 (one Hamilton).

Students will be required to complete a research project on a historical figure, event or document and then turn their research into an “artistic expression,” such as a song or poem, which
    they’ll then share with the cast of “Hamilton” before special student-only matinees.
    The modern way Hamilton’s story is told — Miranda weaves rap, hip-hop, pop music and traditional Broadway together in one beautiful tapestry — along with the fact that the astonishingly talented cast is comprised of mostly black and Latino actors, has led to underprivileged, minority students coming away from the show with a changed view of America and themselves.

I spoke with a group of students at Democracy Prep Charter High School in Harlem who were fortunate to see the show during its run at The Public Theater. To say the show was mind-opening for them would be an understatement. “Hamilton” was a “profoundly transformative experience for our kids,” School Principal Natasha Trivers told me. It clearly was.

One African-American girl told me, “ ‘Hamilton’ made me realize that this is our country, too.”

i'm not crying you're crying

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Additionally, the sing-song of "Well he/she never gonna be president now" has become our default reaction for anything involving the 2016 primaries.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX