As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Just Another Manic [Job] Thread

QanamilQanamil xRegistered User regular
We are free from Morrissey! Let's keep the musically themed titles going though.

Jobs! Here's where you talk about how terrible they are the gift of employment.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Job thread!

Remuneration Review finally finally finally came through.

Boss pulled me into the meeting room handed me my envelope and letter, which I opened and then proceeded to succeed at not having my eyes fall out of my head

4.6% raise!!

Highest amount in the team, highest paid person in the team now!

And sadly because our new corporate overlords are all about the money saving and not giving to the employees at all, andy new members that join our team will be getting significantly less. Like I'll be making approx $10k more than any new hires. I'm apparently making more money than some team leaders over in our new Sister company.

So I've been told to make sure that my Union instincts of discussing pay are silenced.

But man, I"m feeling a LOT more valued and appreciated than I was last week.

I never even dreamed I would see this kind of money...

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm happy for you, @lonelyahava. <3

I posted about this in the last thread, but in a few days I'll be taking a 10 day trip to learn (the very beginnings of) the historic trade of making 18th century shoes. I'm hoping to make this a vocation, in one way or another - ideally, performing and interpreting the trade to the public at a historic site. But it's probably a ways off before I get to that point.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I have a brand new job. I'm super excited. And I came in this morning, and the announcement still hasn't been made. Grrrrrr... It goes into effect for Monday, so she'd better tell people sometime soon!

At least I got celebratory Mexican food last night :)

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So I talked with our quality control manager for about an hour this morning, mostly about the lab position I was interested in, and that he wanted to see me about.

Turns out they'd already gotten the position filled the day before with someone already on that shift, but about halfway through our conversation, the manager said that he wished he'd come to me about the job first, because he felt like I'd have been a much better fit than some rando temp from our packing department. But not only did he assure me that I'd be top pick in (the not unlikely) case the new guy doesn't work out, I got a recommendation from him placed on my employee record saying I should be strongly considered for something more engaging and higher-level when a spot opens up. Something like the lab, or the front office, or possibly supervisor.

So while I'm only sort of annoyed that I didn't get the department change, the recommendation from him carries an obscene amount of weight in this company, and could lead to pretty good things.

And as a funny aside, when I mentioned I was willing to take a pay cut (to lose my lead and shift bonuses) and worse hours to get a job I'd enjoy more, he asked me how much I make now, all said and done. I told him. He replied: "You wouldn't be losing pay. Trust me."

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yesterday I took the AP US History class and the JROTC cadets and formed them up to do a mock War of 1812 battle with line marching and so forth.

It was pretty much chaos, but the right kind of chaos.

Considering it was their first time, the wheels were not the worst I've ever seen!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Wheels are so hard. But damn do few things give me more satisfaction than doing them well.

Real strong, facetious.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Wheels are so hard. But damn do few things give me more satisfaction than doing them well.

Yeah. I kept telling them every time their line broke during a wheel that they would have all died.

Ironically the non JROTC students did better than the ones who've had drill experience before.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Wish it was Knob thread.

I think it makes sense - wheels can be rather counter-intuitive, so it's probably harder for someone who already has some marching experience to figure it out.

Also like, even if you take a group of people who are all good at wheels and throw them into formation, it's still probably going to be bad until they get used to each other. It's so ... teamwork-oriented.

Real strong, facetious.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Bored at work, decided to clear out my desk drawers.

Found a letter opener. Fine, ok, it's an office, a 6" blunt steel blade for opening letters is legit.

Thing is, there's scoring and whetstone scuff marks at the tip. Someone has sharpened this.

The guy who used to sit here now sits behind me after effectively being demoted.

*on edge*

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Eight years as of today.

Eventually I want to be like Captain Pike, where they wheel me out to solve some game design problem via a series of beeps.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    One of the email servers at work has been getting hammered with spam mail in the last two weeks. It's getting anywhere from 25-50 per day which by most standards isn't a lot, but we were getting zero as of two weeks ago.

The servers are offsite and I can only log in and add new filters. However, I can only create very basic filters where my only option is to filter based on who the email is from. Each day is two to three different gibberish@gibberish.*** address all identically formatted from the same ip address.

Looking at the full header of any email the server does have SpamAssassin installed but it's disabled and version dated 6-11-2008. I've called the person who can physically access the server to ask them to update the software, but that's as much as I can do from my desk.

As far as I'm concerned, if the update doesn't work we should just close that email account since it's not the one we give to any of our customers or clients. It's always been a backup account but I had to start using it a few years ago when the primary account stopped receiving any more email. A year or two later I was given the log in information for the server, and found out it had over 5 years of email that had never been cleared out. I deleted everything older than three months which is what I had been keeping on my computer here, but when I deleted email here it didn't actually delete it from the server because it was POP3 and not IMAP (it's still not IMAP) and it worked fine again. At most, 3-5 real people send email to the compromised account, and I could easily enough send them and email to tell them to use the other email instead.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Bored at work, decided to clear out my desk drawers.

Found a letter opener. Fine, ok, it's an office, a 6" blunt steel blade for opening letters is legit.

Thing is, there's scoring and whetstone scuff marks at the tip. Someone has sharpened this.

The guy who used to sit here now sits behind me after effectively being demoted.

*on edge*

At least he was kind enough to supply you with a weapon. Fair sport.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Local forecast says 0% chance of precipitation... so why is SNOW coming out of the SKY?! WEATHER-MAN, YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yes, coworker, the bathroom does smell because there's a big class going on next door and a steady stream of people are using it. This is normal, it is a bathroom. No, this does not mean it needs to be cleaned by an inmate every time someone drops a deuce and no I am not going to be the one to go ask them to do so. Spray some air freshener or close the door if it bothers you so much. Or hell go ask them yourself instead of trying to get me to do it.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Today in first world problems:
    Isn't it super annoying when the perforations on the 2ply toilet paper don't line up?

Related:
    I have not witnessed another improperly hung toilet paper roll in the last 2 months. They must have finally learned.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Isn't it super annoying when the perforations on the 2ply toilet paper don't line up?

Related:
    I have not witnessed another improperly hung toilet paper roll in the last 2 months. They must have finally learned.

First-World Solution (amazing trick): Separate the ply and unwind JUST the outer layer by one rotation. They will now line up as this corrects a mechanical error in the manufacturing process.

Tayrun on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    When I read Heart of Darkness in high school, I was struck by the Engineer and the main character's description of him and explaining the "demon that would come out if the needle stayed in the red" (paraphrasing). I was curious why this indigenous person would make a better engineer.

Then I hit the work force, and now I understand. He feared the machine. My coworkers in past jobs do not. From the asshole who thought safety railings on a trash compactor were optional, to the guy telling me to fuck off and sticking his arm into a whirling mass of machinery to retrieve fabric.

Fear.

edited November 2015
    Tonight is parent-teacher conferences. Otherwise known as I am sitting in my library reading the internet for 6 more hours.

Going to try and get some of this grad assignment done while I am here.

Librarian's ghost on

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    "I'm tired of homework taking up all my free time"
    "how much time did you spend doing it last night?"
    "I didn't bring it home"

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »

Related:

First-World Solution (amazing trick): Separate the ply and unwind JUST the outer layer by one rotation. They will now line up as this corrects a mechanical error in the manufacturing process.

I figured this one out on my own, and I assure you I was SO STOKED when I did.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When I read Heart of Darkness in high school, I was struck by the Engineer and the main character's description of him and explaining the "demon that would come out if the needle stayed in the red" (paraphrasing). I was curious why this indigenous person would make a better engineer.

Then I hit the work force, and now I understand. He feared the machine. My coworkers in past jobs do not. From the asshole who thought safety railings on a trash compactor were optional, to the guy telling me to fuck off and sticking his arm into a whirling mass of machinery to retrieve fabric.

Fear.

The Tech Priests of Warhammer 40k have the right idea - claim everything is powered by appeasing the machine spirits with chanting and sacred oils and don't futz around with the settings or everything might explode and nobody's made anything new in thousands of years so good luck getting a replacement

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    "I didn't bring it home"

Most of the time when I complained about homework in college, I was really complaining about feeling guilty for playing video games instead of doing my homework.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Dear Mr. Asshole,

My offer of going above and beyond to assist you was rescinded somewhere around the point you cursed at me, or perhaps around when you screamed at my poor bewildered volunteer student. No, you cannot 'take backsies' your threat to complain to my manager and get me fired. Please, please do call him, and don't come back.

*insert middle finger gifs here*,

SilverWind

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "I didn't bring it home"

Most of the time when I complained about homework in college, I was really complaining about feeling guilty for playing video games instead of doing my homework.

My main time complaining about homework was in highschool, where each teacher claimed we should spend a half hour minimum doing their class's work. With seven teachers total.

College was mostly reports and boy howdy could I whip up an A/B paper in about an hour for weekly classes.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    "I didn't bring it home"

My main time complaining about homework was in highschool, where each teacher claimed we should spend a half hour minimum doing their class's work. With seven teachers total.

College was mostly reports and boy howdy could I whip up an A/B paper in about an hour for weekly classes.

God, I wish my college experience was mostly reports. I kick ass at college reports.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    a kid is also probably getting expelled after today, but honestly it's a good thing. our program clearly isn't helping and he's so unstable and violent that at some point you need to put the safety of everyone else in the building first.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Well, the recruiter I met with last week no longer works for that recruitment agency. So that put me back a week in the job hunt. The person I got reassigned to seems like she's pretty good at what she does, so I'm not too concerned. It's more annoying than worrying in all honesty.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

Fear.

fear/respect of powerful machines is the correct approach

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Word is going around that next week is my last week

we're trying to keep it on the DL for the most part because... I dunno, we just are

but I am almost not looking forward to the reaction of the legal secretary that I've done a lot of work for, she's kinda come to rely on me a bit

(probably because I'm the only one patient enough with her to understand her thoroughly overcomplicated instructions)

I like her, though, she's just clearly under a lot of stress

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Finally feeling like my career is finally taking off.
    Getting lots of invitations from companies taking off (mostly gaming) wanting advice.

And doing lucrative consulting in addition to my new mostly-full-time gig that is amazing and side company.

2015 has been so many valleys and hills. :confused:

nevillexmassig1.png
    I have spectacularly failed gain the energy to do any of this grad assignment here tonight. I got so far as picking the database I have to look at and write about.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Remember remember the 5th of November

for a bunch of kids in Guy Fawkes masks filling streets of DC and absolutely killing the traffic

on the plus side my driver was completely taken aback when I rolled down the double decker bus with $40 in tips, he had never seen somebody do this during the day

VRXwDW7.png
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    There are five sinks in the washroom at work. The middle one has been broken for two weeks. But still, every time I go in there, I go up to the middle sink and stand there waving my hands around like a jackass until I remember that it doesn't work. Every time. I never learn.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just got an email letting me know that I've been selected to move to the next phase of hiring for one of the jobs I applied for with the city police department! It's a multiple choice test that I have to score a minimum of 70% on to move to the final consideration, which I'm not too worried about. I am a little bit more concerned with the fact that the test takes place on December 2, which means another month of bills before I could possibly see a paycheck.

I'm still excited though, it would be a pretty good job if I can get it!

I desperately want to start building a career in something - anything - that will start bringing me some kind of satisfaction.

But I have no post high school education and no experience in anything worth anything, so I keep feeling lost without any sort of direction.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I desperately want to start building a career in something - anything - that will start bringing me some kind of satisfaction.

But I have no post high school education and no experience in anything worth anything, so I keep feeling lost without any sort of direction.

If you want to get into supply chain, inventory control, purchasing, shipping, etc... look into an APICS certification. It will cost about $3000 over the course of 5 classes and tests, but it looks great on a resume and will give you a lot of knowledge to move into supply chain, then there are higher levels that you can get into.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I don't have $3000 to spare for something like that, sadly.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm in a similar boat korodullin; you are not alone in this struggle even though it may feel like you are.

I don't have any college degree even though I have enough credits to classify me as a Junior, which I've equally been told hurts (shows a failure to follow through) and helps (some is better than none). I have a 10 year work history in a wide variety of customer service jobs, but no management experience to put on a resume even though I was acting as a supervisor in virtually every job I've had because I'm the "Fuck it, I'm captain of this boat if no one else is gonna step up" kind of guy when management fails or isn't around.

Edit: Shit sucks, but I really hope you get can get ahead in life at some point. Just from the little I know of you, mainly from these threads, you sure seem like the kind of guy that deserves to catch a break.

Veevee on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you want to be on a desk somewhere or do white collar work - start working towards that degree. Try to get an entry level position in some large corp that helps pay for college (or work for a university). That way you can get it paid for and it shows initiative in the job.
    If not - look into trades. Electricians, plumbers, welders etc. all make good money when they're certified.

Note: for all of these things, you may have to move to where the opportunities are.

This discussion has been closed.