As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Okay so I realized the game actually has a manual of sorts in the ESC key system menu under Help. Read the Workshop and Settlement entries near the bottom of the list and settlers do consume food and water for happiness and survival. It says they will either use food/water resources from whatever your settlement is generating or what's in your workshop inventory, so that's probably why some people are seeing missing food/water they stored.

Also the help files say that if the Happiness meter gets too bad the settlers may revolt and you lose control of the settlement?

When assigning settlers tasks you can also assign them beds as well, since you need 1:1 settler to beds you can painstakingly assign sleeping areas and theoretically have a bed for yourself that no one uses.

BronzeKoopa on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    also does anybody know if the haircut magazines let you get undercuts? there are all these npcs with sick ass undercuts and im stuck looking like 1950s housewife rip

Looks like there was going to be something, but it may be unused? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/La_Coiffe

In the character creation, I went with the most 'bed-hair' look I could find, but later purchased a Pompadour Wig at a vendor that gives +1 Charisma. Oddly, rather than a Victorian socialite, it makes Mrs. Vaultsicle look like a slick corporate raider, which is still cool. And it stays on under a gas mask or helmet.

ive found a la coiffe, but it didnt give me an undercut yet

i want my sexy undercut ffs

Is an undercut the half shave? I got one in diamond city. I went back to the shaved all around ponytail in the back, since, well, same voice actress did Jack in Mass Effect who has that cut. Naturally, eyeglasses and no hat to ruin that look!

I've advanced the plot to the part where shit gets real real and all that. I think I will take a break and tonight build out Sanctuary - throw some metal floors down on something like a pier towards the river, gets some walls in the back. My five zillion turrets and followers have it covered sure, but I just want to clean it up. I wish crops snapped to grid.

Erin The Redjdarksun
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

the fact the game happens in late summer but theres no leaves is really dumb and contributes to the game visually feeling more homogeneous than it could

Uh, doesn't the game start with you thawing out in late October? I'm still only up to November 17th in mine. That said, Fallout science works on 50s sci-fi tropes and one of those was that nuclear war would turn the climate into a consistently desert-like affair so lack of greenery fits with the world view.

Definitely agree that Bethesda keeps wanting to do after-the-bombs scenery and not more believable for the time period scenery though. Some of the ruins look like they were resettled and then abandoned again which is at least an improvement.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I was walking around and all of a sudden one of the BoS copters is crashing right next to me. What is the point of this? I could not find anything to loot.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I was walking around and all of a sudden one of the BoS copters is crashing right next to me. What is the point of this? I could not find anything to loot.

The point is that the BoS is really bad at using vertibirds.

Dr. ChaosArthilBionicPenguinMegaMekZilla360
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i just had a pretty dank bug

piper got stuck in downed state, teleporting around after me and unable to do anything

loading, dismissing didnt fix

but sleeping on bed with her did, because the animation to get back up seemed to reset her state lel

fix companion by boning?

obF2Wuw.png
    jdarksunZilla360AiserouElki
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

the fact the game happens in late summer but theres no leaves is really dumb and contributes to the game visually feeling more homogeneous than it could

Uh, doesn't the game start with you thawing out in late October? I'm still only up to November 17th in mine. That said, Fallout science works on 50s sci-fi tropes and one of those was that nuclear war would turn the climate into a consistently desert-like affair so lack of greenery fits with the world view.

Definitely agree that Bethesda keeps wanting to do after-the-bombs scenery and not more believable for the time period scenery though. Some of the ruins look like they were resettled and then abandoned again which is at least an improvement.

its light until like 8-9pm and ur in boston which is how i calibrated im a REAL SURVIVOR i FLY BY THE STARS

sunset is like 5pm in late october there

but if thats the time then that explains it a bit, but they coulda tried a bit harder with the time of day then l0l

EDIT: checked and ur rite, im in december on mine

i guess they just had no interest in seasonal stuff

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    PLA
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

That explains finding squirrel bits and iguana-on-a-stick etc. in containers that ostensibly are from the old world.

Though not long ago I found a master locked cargo truck with a deathclaw hand in a crate in back. Not sure how that happens...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    i think re: the visual style

the glowing sea is a step in the right direction

one of the beeferonies i have with their visual style is that they ignore what highly radioactive areas actually look like - eg chernobyl

they look like ~nature boyz~

this is chernobyl just 23 years later:

1281530725-chernobyl-exclusion-zone-23-years-after-power-plant-explosion_264977.jpg
    4986958232_68de30c04a_z.jpg

if they had a split between weird mutant radioactive forest, REALLY radioactive glowing sea shit, desert waste a la f1 f2, and old towns reclaimed + new towns it would be a lot more interesting

and then with the towns they could actually, you know, have some PLANTS growing on shit. the problem is their towns look like they were abandoned v recently, not 200 years ago. theres so much cool stuff that happens when a town is reclaimed by nature that the game completely ignores

boston itself feels very very sily as a consequence of this

The end of October is not late summer.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

That explains finding squirrel bits and iguana-on-a-stick etc. in containers that ostensibly are from the old world.

Though not long ago I found a master locked cargo truck with a deathclaw hand in a crate in back. Not sure how that happens...

Random loot generation in crates is.. not a big deal. Its impractical to expect handplaced loot, especially if they handplace low level loot and you get there high level, or vise versa.

Truck is easy to handwaved too as someone having picked and relocked it later as a stash or something.

PLA
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    this game gets the fallout vibe pretty well

I'm very disappointed with a lot of the dialogue and quest endings, it feels like someone was standing over them with a stopwatch every time a line of dialogue was tested or they had something written down screaming "NO YOU IDIOTS, GAMERS WON'T WANT TO READ/LISTEN TO THAT MUCH"

when you get the newspaper that piper writes the entire thing is literally about 3 paragraphs long

this continues for the whole game, places where some more exposition or dialogue with an NPC really seem warranted have none.
    Oh you just wanted to hear that I'm from another vault? You don't want to talk about your problem?

Oh I found out what's fucking up your vault, can I tell you? No, oh okay, we have to progress the quest until the problem escalates because we wouldn't want to reward people who search nooks and crannies in a way that might exclude the people that don't read anything

Let's not blame it on them thinking players don't want long dialog.

It's pure accounting and it's something we should have all expected when they announced a voiced character in a role playing game. I don't think any company has ever forked out the necessary money to fully voice what is effectively two main characters in a long ass game with variations of dialog for multiple scenarios. So you end up with short changed dialog. There's plenty of dialog, and just like with the 1 million endings of Fallout 3, Todd Howard oversells by saying they've recorded a lot of dialog, just that you need to take a small percentage of the 60 million lines they recorded and then divide that percentage by two.

There's a fair amount of dialog in the game, just not much, which is why you end up with 4 options in very brief conversations, most of which end a convo or lead to the same outcome.

PLA
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bethesda I'll pay hard money if you release a Shroud mod for the game that gives every conversation a chance for shroud dialogue CASH FUCKING MONEY!!!

I do like the idea that while doing that quest your old world character has a psychotic break and literally thinks they are the shroud. Also Macready said "Tunnel Snakes rule" never change Macready never change, ok change a little bit stop randomly disliking shit I do.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    PLAjdarksunArthil
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The jarring bit for me is how illogically well preserved some truly degradable things are. For example, the hanging calendar on the side of your fridge in your home is still in perfectly good shape despite 200 years of exposure to the elements, and the cardboard Mr. Handy box in the laundry room looks as shiny as the day it was brought home. And all the books and papers everywhere? Even diligent and active preservation struggles to keep paper products intact over time. I can accept, based on game-world-logic and some handwaving, that wooden structures have somehow not disappeared entirely and prewar food is somehow still edible and so on, but those cardboard and paper things throw me every time.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Zilla360Petesalzl
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bethesda I'll pay hard money if you release a Shroud mod for the game that gives every conversation a chance for shroud dialogue CASH FUCKING MONEY!!!

I do like the idea that while doing that quest your old world character has a psychotic break and literally thinks they are the shroud. Also Macready said "Tunnel Snakes rule" never change Macready never change, ok change a little bit stop randomly disliking shit I do.
    What the hell? That lil monster is in this one?

Well, he's an adult now so I guess this means we can beat the shit out of him guilt free.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    What I would love to see for future games (for open-world RPGs generally) is some kind of split between the "specific main character narrative" and the open world, side-quests, faction-quests, location-quests, sandboxy stuff. Like once you did the main quest, it unlocked* "Lone Wanderer" mode, which was a set of alternate start choices for non-voiced protagonists, and just turned you loose on the world. That way the main quest could have a definitive end to your character arc, one way or the other. Maybe New Game + could just be importing the main character to Lone Wanderer mode.

*Alternatively, at the start of the game you choose: Main Quest (side stuff disabled; your character is focused), Normal (anything goes as usual) and Lone Wanderer (no main quest).

The jarring bit for me is how illogically well preserved some truly degradable things are. For example, the hanging calendar on the side of your fridge in your home is still in perfectly good shape despite 200 years of exposure to the elements, and the cardboard Mr. Handy box in the laundry room looks as shiny as the day it was brought home. And all the books and papers everywhere? Even diligent and active preservation struggles to keep paper products intact over time. I can accept, based on game-world-logic and some handwaving, that wooden structures have somehow not disappeared entirely and prewar food is somehow still edible and so on, but those cardboard and paper things throw me every time.

i assumed the food was still edible as a joke about how full of preservatives it was because 50s america no safety standards taken into the future etc

obF2Wuw.png
    PLAEtchwartsjdarksunCrippl3SiskaMoridin889DonnictonMegaMekJungleskyeZilla360Transporter
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    also does anybody know if the haircut magazines let you get undercuts? there are all these npcs with sick ass undercuts and im stuck looking like 1950s housewife rip

Looks like there was going to be something, but it may be unused? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/La_Coiffe

In the character creation, I went with the most 'bed-hair' look I could find, but later purchased a Pompadour Wig at a vendor that gives +1 Charisma. Oddly, rather than a Victorian socialite, it makes Mrs. Vaultsicle look like a slick corporate raider, which is still cool. And it stays on under a gas mask or helmet.

ive found a la coiffe, but it didnt give me an undercut yet

i want my sexy undercut ffs

There are only four issues, and it seems like only two are actually available.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

i assumed the food was still edible as a joke about how full of preservatives it was because 50s america no safety standards taken into the future etc

In the prologue, if you look at the food in your cupboard, I think your character says something like, "Blamo Mac-and-Cheese. Expires never."

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Like I said.. game world logic. Still doesn't explain cardboard. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    New Vegas had like one area with crazy vegetation, but also a vegetation-DLC.

DLC will likely add new worldspaces, so maybe it will be fun places.

Food fits into the SCIENCE! because..IIRC, it was dosed with radiation and soaked in preservatives.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't have all been eaten by now, but still, Food surviving is internally consistent with the SCIENCE! aspect

its light until like 8-9pm and ur in boston which is how i calibrated im a REAL SURVIVOR i FLY BY THE STARS

sunset is like 5pm in late october there

but if thats the time then that explains it a bit, but they coulda tried a bit harder with the time of day then l0l

EDIT: checked and ur rite, im in december on mine

i guess they just had no interest in seasonal stuff

No, not sun, your eyeballs are radioactive.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It seems the only consensus people have is the dialogue system is lacklustre at best. Several people keep saying the game is a big step backwards and lots of people disagree with that. Weapon mods, graphics, the special system all seem to hit pretty well with most people and miss a lot with some others.

But I haven't seen anyone applauding the dialogue system. I don't think the writing is particularly poor, but a lot of times I want to approach a problem a certain way but am unable to do so.
    vault 81 question
    I helped the girl find her cat, figured out the one dude is hooked on drugs thanks to his sister, and have my suspicions about the Depot family not being too faithful. But it seems I'm kinda stuck. I can't tell the overseer much, the schoolteacher won't talk to me after I said my stories are pretty graphic. Is that all there is there? I found a locked master terminal I need to go back to in a few levels but man. Seems like not much else to do there, or I'm missing something, or it bugged.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

piper got stuck in downed state, teleporting around after me and unable to do anything

but sleeping on bed with her did, because the animation to get back up seemed to reset her state lel

fix companion by boning?

"Help, I need...the d"

Though, yeah, I got that same bug with Strong at one point.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    vault 81 question
    I helped the girl find her cat, figured out the one dude is hooked on drugs thanks to his sister, and have my suspicions about the Depot family not being too faithful. But it seems I'm kinda stuck. I can't tell the overseer much, the schoolteacher won't talk to me after I said my stories are pretty graphic. Is that all there is there? I found a locked master terminal I need to go back to in a few levels but man. Seems like not much else to do there, or I'm missing something, or it bugged.
    I think I helped the girl find her cat, and stopped by the greenhouse lady to help her there, before a quest opened up that helped shed info on the vault. You might need to pay a stop to the Doctor as well since he also had something that you could do for him.

Basically, talk to everyone in the vault.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Winky wrote: »

fix companion by boning?

"Help, I need...the d"

Though, yeah, I got that same bug with Strong at one point.

Her reset button is just super inconveniently placed, apparently.

Pixelated Pixie
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

It's been a thing in every Fallout game since the first. Is it unrealistic? Yes, but no one really cares. The goal of Fallout is not to provide a "realistic" wasteland setting. It's a setting where post-apocalypse stories can take place.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Also, thank you christ that there exists a follower that doesn't get VERY ANGRY when I steal something that isn't nailed down. I was going to go insane.

Characters
    CorsinijdarksunZilla360

Twinkies are indestructible.

Pixelated PixieArthilTransporter
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Aegis wrote: »
    vault 81 question
    I think I helped the girl find her cat, and stopped by the greenhouse lady to help her there, before a quest opened up that helped shed info on the vault. You might need to pay a stop to the Doctor as well since he also had something that you could do for him.

Leave the vault and come back a like a day or so later, you'll get some residents talking about a boy in the infirmary with a mystery ailment and that will lead to a quest.

Just a tip for the quest, make a new hard save every minute or so and reload if you get hit and you can do it without also getting sick.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    What matters if stuff is internally consistent with its own laws of science and physics. Not if its consistent with real world science and physics.

I don't imagine they'd make the food indestructible and not develop a way to make the cardboard that way too

Aegis
    Foomy wrote: »
    vault 81 question

Leave the vault and come back a like a day or so later, you'll get some residents talking about a boy in the infirmary and that will lead to a quest.

Just a tip for the quest, make a new hard save every minute or so and reload if you get hit.
    What happens if you get hit? I did the place getting hit maybe a couple times and didn't see any adverse reactions. Is it % based or something?

Characters
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Fallout is supposed to be intentionally goofy. Realism isn't really its thing; it's a satirical setting.

Though, that does mean there's a bit of mood whiplash when it tries to get serious every once in a while.

Dr. Chaos
    Actually, I think a majority of books were completely garbage in prior games. They didn't last well, at all.

i also like the implicit capitalist logic in the brand name versions of stuff being worth more

wakemaster alarm clock better than ordinary alarm clock, etc

obF2Wuw.png
    WinkyEtchwartsErin The RedZilla360Transporter
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    vault 81 question

Leave the vault and come back a like a day or so later, you'll get some residents talking about a boy in the infirmary and that will lead to a quest.

Just a tip for the quest, make a new hard save every minute or so and reload if you get hit.
    What happens if you get hit? I did the place getting hit maybe a couple times and didn't see any adverse reactions. Is it % based or something?
    if you look under your stats screen you see a little pill icon in the top left corner, press q to get more info.

it's a -10 hp ailment that can only be cured by the medicine you get from the quest.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Winky wrote: »
    Yeah, Fallout is supposed to be intentionally goofy. Realism isn't really its thing; it's a satirical setting.

Though, that does mean there's a bit of mood whiplash when it tries to get serious every once in a while.

yeah i dont mind the goofy stuff, but i mind the bits that are them slavishly adhering to what they perceive to be a required bit of stylisation that actually isnt

every interior having the exact same type of decay is a straitjacket and makes things feel samey, and they have a lot of room to go between relatively looked after spaces and the completely overgrown and destroyed

hovering eternally in the rusty middle is v homogeneous

obF2Wuw.png
    Dyvim TvarOlivawPLAWinkyBionicPenguin
    vault 81 question

if you look under your stats screen you see a little pill icon in the top left corner, press q to get more info.

it's a -10 hp ailment that can only be cured by the medicine you get from the quest.

Well. Fuck.

Characters
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    question

if I have a bunch of stuff in a dresser and I scrap the dresser for parts using the building mode

what happens to stuff

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    or if like the dresser is in a house and I scrap the entire house

This discussion has been closed.