As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    So people using a VPN to unlock, what program are you using? Trying this guide on Reddit (which is a minefield) and not seeing where the program is on the linked website.

I was considering going this route but the sketch levels are higher than I think I'm comfy with. Besides, I know some people don't necessarily worry about the EULA but I have a feeling I'd be THE GUY who gets his account turned into confetti and swept into a waste bin for something as benign as using a VPN.

I'm pretty sure I did this with BL2 but completely forgot how to actually do it. I think the main issue isn't you breaking street date, but you getting the game for less than you should (i.e. Russian copy for like 30 bucks versus full 60 bucks).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Dr. Chaos
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I'm contemplating an appropriate name for a male hero.

I'd really like a name that Codsworth (and possibly other NPCs?) is going to say, but I don't think a complete list has been released. I kinda wish Bethesda would do that, because restarting over and over to test what ol' Cods will say isn't the pinnacle of what I imagine to be fun discovery.

Here's the latest list that I could find, on Reddit. There are a few threads, though, so this may have different entries from the one I posted a few days ago.

Here is a list of names that /u/PM_ME_FREE_STUFF_PLS has confirmed so far, in alphabetic-order. Also OP has stated that, "Gender is irrelevant. Codsworth just refers to you as Mister [Female Name]":
    Aaron
    Alex
    Alexis
    Alice
    Andrew
    Anna
    Archer
    Assface Confirmed!
    Atticus
    Bill
    Blake
    Brown
    Caleb
    Catherine
    Carter
    Charlotte
    Chloe
    Chris
    Christian
    Connor
    Corey
    Damien ("Damian" doesn't work)
    Daniel
    David
    Dawson
    Deckard
    Dick Confirmed!
    DJ
    Dylan
    Elizabeth
    Emily
    Eric
    Ethan
    Evan
    Evelyn
    Gary
    Gavin
    Grace
    Griffin
    GROGNAK Proof!
    Hawk
    Hines
    Jacob
    Jake
    James
    Jason
    Jay
    Joel
    John
    Jordan
    Joshua
    Juan
    Julia
    Justin
    Kayla
    Kevin
    Laura
    Lee
    Leon
    Liam
    Logan
    Louis
    Lucas
    Luke
    Malcolm
    Mark
    Marty
    Mason
    Matt
    Max
    McFly
    Micah
    Nathan
    Nora
    Pete
    Phil
    Quinn
    Richard
    Rick
    Riley
    Robert
    Rock
    Rocky
    Rose
    Roy
    Ryan
    Sam
    Sara
    Scott
    Sebastian
    Steve
    Stuart
    Thomas
    Todd
    Tyler
    Victoria
    Wayne
    Will
    Wilson
    Wyatt

List of names that are confirmed NOT working:
    Adolf
    Ahmed
    Albert
    Anakin
    Aurora
    Balothy
    Barbara
    Beth
    Bort
    Brandon
    Caesar
    Cameron
    Chuck
    CJ
    Clem
    Codsworth
    Dale
    Dalton
    Damon
    Dayton
    Dickface
    Duke
    Edwin
    Fletch
    Geoff
    Gerrett
    Gideon
    Giovanni
    Gus
    Harley
    Harrison
    Heisenberg
    Homer
    Jade
    Jerry
    Jesse
    Jesus
    Kira
    Korra
    Kyle
    Leif
    Lennox
    Lilith
    Lisa
    Lord
    Louis ( some conflict: didnt work, did work ) (clarified: did NOT work)
    Lyla
    Mario
    Marlon
    Morty
    Motherfucker
    Neil
    Nick
    O'Connor
    President
    Rachel
    Robin
    Rodgers
    Rory
    Scorpio
    Shaun
    Shepard
    Spooky
    Triss
    Velma
    Veronica
    Victor
    Von Karman
    Wade
    Walter
    Wolf
    Woody
    Zach

Yeah it's cool that fans are going through and figuring out as many names as possible, but I'd just like to see a list from Bethesda that let me know everything I can pick. I guess a full list will come about eventually, and in the meantime I'm highly tempted to pick 'Wayne' as my character's name, just to have Codsworth refer to me as Batman.

...Which somewhat fits into the build I've been planning anyways; I wasn't planning on being super-stealthy, but the stat loadout I came up with was high in agility, so it wouldn't be out of the question. I'd need more INT to really make it work, as my build only lands at INT 5 which isn't enough for the Science perk.
    abotkin wrote: »
    Does anyone know for sure if Green Man Gaming will get me a code today if I buy it from them today? Their 20% off code works, so I'd rather go that route than buying directly through Steam, but only if I know I'll get the code in time to VPN it up tomorrow morning.

It's impossible to say for sure. They did already send out codes to those who pre-ordered, so if they still have codes available, you're likely to get one pretty fast. The only trouble would be if they ran out.

Toxic Pickle on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I use Private Internet Access for other things already, so I plan on using that to get a New Zealand IP.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So people using a VPN to unlock, what program are you using? Trying this guide on Reddit (which is a minefield) and not seeing where the program is on the linked website.

i have used flyvpn in the past but it seems like steam has got a lot more locked down - even after a quick trip to new zealand my store remains £denominated. idk if it affected unlock times or not

I recall some article a while back about your account being tied to a country now. Some people ran into trouble with that after moving to a new country.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Taranis wrote: »
    I use Private Internet Access for other things already, so I plan on using that to get a New Zealand IP.

if you change your ip do you find your store location changing, or is it remaining with where your payment options are located?

steam for me no longer seems to change my assumed location based on ip, as my payment options don't change

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I used a three day trial of a free VPN for Skyrim, be warned that they tend to get absolutely crushed when stuff like this happens.

I had a friend recommend PIA a few years back for general usage, I'll see if he still thinks it's good.
    Does anyone know for sure if Green Man Gaming will get me a code today if I buy it from them today? Their 20% off code works, so I'd rather go that route than buying directly through Steam, but only if I know I'll get the code in time to VPN it up tomorrow morning.
    Unless they're out of keys, you should get the code soon or immediately.

if you change your ip do you find your store location changing, or is it remaining with where your payment options are located?

steam for me no longer seems to change my assumed location based on ip, as my payment options don't change
    The big thing with Steam used to be people would VPN to Russia or wherever to buy things for cheaper. Check the Fallout 4 page in Steam while VPN'd, that should be in what they think is your local time.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    SoftEther has never failed me.

Also, the last time I used a VPN unlock was just a couple months ago, so I don't think anything is different. All you should be doing is turning on the VPN, opening Steam, decrypting/opening game, going into offline mode, then turn if off and stay in offline mode.

Are you the magic man?
    Heir
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    S-1
    P-3
    E-4
    C-7
    I-9
    A-1
    L-3

That seems like a solid Rick Sanchez build. Immunity to chem and alcohol addiction, loads of science, and a bit of luck.

BobbleNightDragon
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »

I was considering going this route but the sketch levels are higher than I think I'm comfy with. Besides, I know some people don't necessarily worry about the EULA but I have a feeling I'd be THE GUY who gets his account turned into confetti and swept into a waste bin for something as benign as using a VPN.

I'm pretty sure I did this with BL2 but completely forgot how to actually do it. I think the main issue isn't you breaking street date, but you getting the game for less than you should (i.e. Russian copy for like 30 bucks versus full 60 bucks).

From everything I've ready I think you're 100% right here and probably totally safe.

I'm just trying to decide if I really need to play the game that badly. I'm pumped about it and a little frustrated with the way the launch is being handled so I want to be one of the sly foxes out there jumping into the wasteland early but I also don't see anything wrong with just accepting that I'll have to wait until midnight and that's just that.

Just checked. The store currency didn't change when I logged in with an Aussie IP.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Just checked. The store currency didn't change when I logged in with an Aussie IP.

What about the store countdown?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Also, the last time I used a VPN unlock was just a couple months ago, so I don't think anything is different. All you should be doing is turning on the VPN, opening Steam, decrypting/opening game, going into offline mode, then turn if off and stay in offline mode.

while i like softether there is no NZ server and the Australia servers seem to go down every day at some point or at least vanish from the relay list.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

The big thing with Steam used to be people would VPN to Russia or wherever to buy things for cheaper. Check the Fallout 4 page in Steam while VPN'd, that should be in what they think is your local time.

the store page is based on your location, so im pretty sure it wouldnt update

its still denominated in pounds either way and displaying english time

obF2Wuw.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Ok so Freedome worked. At least in terms of changing the web browser version of Steam. Game unlock in 16 hour versus 1 day and 8 hours.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend

No. :bigfrown: It still says 32 hours instead of 16.

It worls on the website when I'm not logged in, but changes to the correct timezone when I am. The client just says the correct release date regardless of my IP.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Last year I accidentally unlocked Beyond Earth early when I turned on my VPN for something else.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Shogun wrote: »

while i like softether there is no NZ server and the Australia servers seem to go down every day at some point or at least vanish from the relay list.
    There isn't?

Shit. Was planning on using that one.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    when I use my newzie vpn and open steam the splash sale page is in NZ currency and prices but the store page remains in USD. I believe this is to combat people attempting to make purchases with a VPN to get better prices regardless if they care they get banned or not.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wiki has bits and pieces I haven't seen elsewhere. Articles aren't linked yet, though.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    when I use my newzie vpn and open steam the splash sale page is in NZ currency and prices but the store page remains in USD. I believe this is to combat people attempting to make purchases with a VPN to get better prices regardless if they care they get banned or not.

Yeah, that's probably the thing where your account is tied to your country, even through a VPN.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »

There isn't?

Shit. Was planning on using that one.

there isn't one that I am aware of. There are two aussie servers and one of them is garbage with almost no connection. The other is 1.4Mbps so if it gets hammered (it will) it might be useless anyway. I typically use SoftEther when I want to connect somewhere in Asia such as Japan. In the case of Fallout 4 that is a non-starter.

No. :bigfrown: It still says 32 hours instead of 16.

It worls on the website when I'm not logged in, but changes to the correct timezone when I am. The client just says the correct release date regardless of my IP.

Success! Found this in reddit:
    Mine works fine. Pro tip.. If you haven't already go to. Settings > Account details > Top right 'Store region' > Should be two options, UK & NZ > change to NZ
    Should work fine then, Oh and also change your download region to NZ too!
    Hope that helps.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3s0o92/issue_with_steam_and_vpn/

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My pipboy edition has shipped!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

davidsdurionsMaddocErin The RedBobbleQuidjdarksun
    that feeling when you suddenly remember that new zealand isnt 24 hours ahead of the uk

r-rip...

obF2Wuw.png
    Crippl3
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Just used their code to buy this, can confirm instant key.

OrokosPA.png
    jdarksunKid PresentableErin The RedArthilPhoenix-D
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My pipboy edition has shipped!

Just now got my notice as well

Now the wait truly begins

HappylilElf
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Any info about how to gain more SPECIAL points after the initial distribution?

Thinking of going 4-4-3-3-5-3-6, but there are some pretty nice perks I cant get with this.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You get to pick between a perk or a SPECIAL at level up. Also bobbleheads.

Sirialis
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    There are bobbleheads which give SPECIALS, but the general way is that, upon leveling, you get one point to distribute. You can either use that point to purchase a new perk, increase the rank of a perk you already have, or use it to level up one SPECIAL stat in order to get access to perks further up the list. It's a trade-off system.

Toxic Pickle on
    Quid
    I love the extra damage from Bloody Mess, the explosion itself - not so much, got a bit old with the out of place explosion caused by an Automatic Rifle and then having to find a severed eyeball to loot the guy.

Heir
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Luck tree has a skill where bullets will ricochet off of you and back at your enemies.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Erin The RedArthil
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Just a warning, if you're planning on watching any Fallout 4 streams, now they started appearing on the Live from Sony tab, on the PS4 videos tab - people are posting spoilers in the onscreen chat, so I'd recommend avoiding if you don't want to find out the ending, like I just have.

Fucking pricks.

BrocksMullet
    edited November 2015
    Do you get to pick some perks at the beginning? If so, how many? I've tried to stay mostly in the dark about the leaks, but I'm trying to set up a character, more or less ready to go on release with that handy Build Planner that was linked.

Edit: or do you need to sacrifice SPECIAL points to get perks in the character creation part too?
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Just a warning, if you're planning on watching any Fallout 4 streams, now they started appearing on the Live from Sony tab, on the PS4 videos tab - people are posting spoilers in the onscreen chat, so I'd recommend avoiding if you don't want to find out the ending, like I just have.

Fucking pricks.

I tried a guy posting endgame spoilers for Bioshock Infinite on youtubes comment section on the Official Trailer... and the spoiler was false too, didnt stop me from being annoyed until I beat the game and realized it was a lie though.

I dont know why people do something like that, is being a prick that great?

Sirialis on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Only one day left so I'm good as far as streams go.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Do you get to pick some perks at the beginning? If so, how many? I've tried to stay mostly in the dark about the leaks, but I'm trying to set up a character, more or less ready to go on release with that handy Build Planner that was linked.

start at lv.1 no perks until you level up to lv.2.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Sirialis
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    They did say leveling is also faster in this one and it wasn't that bad in FO3.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Odd that there are next to no ghoul or supermutant NCR soldiers in the mojave. All the ghouls seem to have been bunched into one outpost.

I guess discrimination really got going once Tandi kicked the bucket. That or they'll all hiding in California.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Some people have started posting created characters (retails in France, Brazil, and Germany breaking street dates). So glad customisation's handled in a normal lighting condition; so many games (even outside Bethesda) mess that up.

http://i.imgur.com/3oLuTqu.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/v5zmayU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/PwULxns.jpg

jdarksunBrocksMulletPoketpixie
This discussion has been closed.