Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

As cool as winter, as hot as summer and all Wizard [Harry Dresden]-Next book is not out!

1141517192023

Posts

  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The whole electronic thing always felt like a cheap copout to keep Harry from just using google, smartphone and gps to solve like 70% of his problems.

    Rivers of London has similar(ish) magic ruins technology thing going, but done so much better, instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

    Styrofoam SammichCptHamilton
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Technically, none of that clears it up completely, either. Could be a mix and match like Polaritie said.


    Full series:
    And it really should be as she was bullshited into taking the mantle against her will practically. If she loses her soul over it that's a crap deal. But then maybe it just will be, that be something for Dresden to feel guilty over.

    Nah, Dresden knows
    about the best times of year for removing/exchanging mantles, and has been personal witness to several transitions of Faerie Court mantles.

    It's practically Chekhov's Gun.
    hell he maybe can get santa to help him out

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

    I mean, Dresden Files does that, too? (Minor whole series spoilers)
    Like, wizards have lots of ways of doing long-range communication, there are a couple of times where Harry messing up technology becomes plot-relevant (including the USB-drive-with-sensitive-data bit) ...

    Re: Finesse (whole series spoilers):
    We don't see it directly in the books, because watching Harry stand around practicing spells would be kinda boring, but Harry's improving finesse is brought up in several different ways:
    1. He mentions it straight out when discussing how he had to relearn some stuff when teach Molly, in that several things he hadn't been able to do at all before were now at least possible
    2. The creation of mini-Chicago
    3. His magical artisanship in general, where his second set of shield bracelets was much better than his first - blocking all kinds of things instead of just bullets or punches, though it takes a bit more energy
    4. Etc.

    So, compared to the real magical heavyweights (e.g., Ivy, who basically took the equivalent of a single deep breath of magic and kept a bunch of Denarians on the run for minutes), he's still got a long way to go, but he's come a long way from the start, too.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    SleepForarRchanen
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

    Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

    No, it’s just that the definition of “modern tech” adjusts over time. A long time ago, magical people curdled milk. Or prevented radios from working. Nowadays, 1950s cars work okayish, but modern computerized cars shit the bed around the magically talented.
    That's literally exactly my argument? You just replaced the word newer with modern I guess?

    You seemed to be tying it to the age of the wizard, rather than the state of the world. McCoy and the Merlin would be screwing up cell phones, too, not curdling milk. McCoy drives a 1940s-ish truck, not a horse and buggy.

    Ah, well it does seem to be a bit both. Part consensus reality and part the wizard's own prejudices. Harry still can't use fancy electronics, but
    Molly and Butters seem fine with electronics. And I forget what that group of minor hedge wizards were called, but don't they have like, a UseNet group or something?

    I don't think that's entirely right, at least not the examples. Skin Games spoilers
    Butters is not a wizard. He's not even like, a minor "hedge wizard." At best he's maybe trending towards that at the very end of the series with Bob's help, but even that's implied to not really be Butters having any magic himself.

    I don't think Molly uses any electronics until she gets Winter Lady'd, and then she can, but it becomes a bigger deal. Her apartment had some electronic security or something maybe? But that was definitely the svartalfs, not her.

    Skin Game (and after via Short Stories)
    Butters (and the other Knights) do not have any issues with Tech at all. He sorta screws around a bit with Bob but doesn't have any wizard magic himself and mostly just has Bob relay information. Bob is just a spirit and they don't seem to have the same issue that Wizards do.

    Similar with Molly. I think when she was being crazy Bag Lady there was a reference to a cell phone that she kept powered down and even then had to replace it often.

    The spooky net folks are all fairly weak so apparently don't have that issue.

    Have the Alphas ever shown any trouble with technology?

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Re: @DevoutlyApathetic 's spoiler:
    Nope - the Alpha's don't have any issues at all. In fact, they at one point had a really, really awesome high-tech, new-model SUV ...

    ... until they let Harry borrow it.

    "The door is ajar."

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    DelmainDevoutlyApathetickimeSleepTofystedethMoridin889KetBrajdarksunHeirZibblsnrt
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    instead of just being an excuse to hamper the main character, it becomes an occasional plot point and has simple workarounds for day to day use.

    I mean, Dresden Files does that, too? (Minor whole series spoilers)
    Like, wizards have lots of ways of doing long-range communication, there are a couple of times where Harry messing up technology becomes plot-relevant (including the USB-drive-with-sensitive-data bit) ...
    In Rivers, wizards are perfectly fine using laptops, cellphones and pretty much any other modern technology as long as they commit to some simple precautions (though they can still break them by using powerful magic near them in an emergency).
    Dresden seems to break technology just by existing near it for a period of time.

    Yes, Dresden Files does use the techbane in the story, but it always felt like a way to hamper characters for easier writing first and foremost.
    Like having poor cellphone reception or having everyone instantly scatter in a horror movie.

  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

    Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

    No, it’s just that the definition of “modern tech” adjusts over time. A long time ago, magical people curdled milk. Or prevented radios from working. Nowadays, 1950s cars work okayish, but modern computerized cars shit the bed around the magically talented.
    That's literally exactly my argument? You just replaced the word newer with modern I guess?

    You seemed to be tying it to the age of the wizard, rather than the state of the world. McCoy and the Merlin would be screwing up cell phones, too, not curdling milk. McCoy drives a 1940s-ish truck, not a horse and buggy.

    Ah, well it does seem to be a bit both. Part consensus reality and part the wizard's own prejudices. Harry still can't use fancy electronics, but
    Molly and Butters seem fine with electronics. And I forget what that group of minor hedge wizards were called, but don't they have like, a UseNet group or something?

    PARANET.

    If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    ElvenshaejdarksunRchanenMr Ray
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.

    SleepHefflingMoridin889RingoMr Ray
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    BlackDragon480DelmainJayrichoRingoRchanen
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.

    To be fair...i won't give my D&D players ubiquitous sending stones for the same reason.

    Elvenshae
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    "Has nobody in this town heard of Google?"

    steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.

    To be fair...i won't give my D&D players ubiquitous sending stones for the same reason.
    That said, those are not sold in every town for 20 to 50 coppers.

  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a closet. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    Heffling on
    If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    SleepkimedaveNYCElvenshaeNitsuaForar38thDoeMoridin889JayrichoRingoAuralynxVisskarRchanenVerminionMancingtomKetarDracomicron
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    I can totally see the paranet looking like a geo cities web ring to discourage the non magical folk looking too deep. They're just like thousands of other "weirdos" who like the paranormal a bit too much and blend right in.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    SleepElvenshaeXeddicusRchanenMr Ray
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObosoletePaper
    XeddicusRchanenDracomicron
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.

    If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    kimeTofystedeth38thDoeMoridin889NyysjanBlackDragon480jdarksunRchanenMr RayDracomicron
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.
    As long as that's only for smartphones and not easy to use granny models, that's kinda awesome.

    destroyah87kimeElvenshaeHefflingMoridin889jdarksunRchanenMr Ray
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember being able to differentiate what baud we were connecting at by the sounds the modem gave. "Crap, hang up, try again, we got the 28.8 line".

    Also, ringing up a simply unreasonable long distance bill accidentally by calling out to BBS's that were out of town (not international or anything, but not local either).

    Mistakes were made.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    HefflingjdarksunElvenshaeNitsuaFry
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.
    As long as that's only for smartphones and not easy to use granny models, that's kinda awesome.

    Correct. BlackBerry was shut down by vampire hunters.

    If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    But... there are gloves that work with the screens.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    DelmainDevoutlyApathetic
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    But... there are gloves that work with the screens.

    By letting your normal finger effect through.

    Moridin889webguy20NyysjanjdarksunHefflingElvenshaeSleep
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    But... there are gloves that work with the screens.

    By letting your normal finger effect through.

    Oh, is that how they work?

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Huh, so what is [Current Year] in Desden Files?

  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    Huh, so what is [Current Year] in Desden Files?

    It's a bit timey whimey because some of the earlier dates don't quite work. But around 2013.

    ElvenshaeKetBraMoridin889
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.

    Wouldn't a stylus be just as effective?

    DelmainDevoutlyApathetic
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Leeks wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It was much earlier when Storm Front set the rules, remember cells weren't ubiquitous in 2000, but I believe Butcher totally copped to it being an excuse to avoid having cell phones solve too many problems.
    Problem with long running book series that are not period pieces, the "normal" changes so fast.
    Remember when youtube was not a thing?
    Remember when Altavista was?

    I remember the time before the internet, when Bulletin Board Systems ruled the land and people were connected 300 baud at a time. When running a BBS required 20 land lines and a bank of modems in a close. A time when IRC was but an infant.

    I remember the ancient times of 1997, when Geocities ruled the social spaces, and every grocery store would include a free AOL CD with your purchase. A time when AOL Instant Messenger was used by all to chat. A time when Google was but a babe in the woods, and Internet Explorer was king.

    I remember the olden times of 2003, when MySpace was the most popular social media platform and AOL had tens of millions of users. When YouTube was first born.

    I remember the middling times of 2007 to 2010, when the upstarts slew the elders. Facebook declining offers in the billions of dollars crushes MySpace. Twitter becomes a source of breaking news. When Microsoft launched Bing in an attempt to kill the king of kings, Google.

    I remember the recent times of 2011 and on, when the few remaining elders and the many upstarts made of themselves the Kings of the Internet. And ware anyone who would attempt to dethrone a king, for these kings shape the world.

    I remember these times because I am old and decrepit at only 41 years of age. And soon, you too shall remember the dead fads of generations ago and wonder at the marvels of this Modern Area...this Information Age.

    I used to remember a bit more than you, but at the severely old age of 51 I can barely remember my name.

    I do miss BBS’s. I used to be on one where we had weekly meet ups !

    Yeah, I fondly recall the days of 8086's and how excited my parents and their friends were with the releases of the 8088's. And the massive speed up of games in going from an 80286 to an 80386 (286 to 386).

    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    For a modern gaming perspective, I love that in Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition that vampires can't use cell phones without expending blood to make their fingers live.

    Wouldn't a stylus be just as effective?
    Most of those still rely on you to work.
    You could probably find some device that does the job though, provided the storyteller/gm/whatever is a reasonable person.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear it's not about 'us' so much as a material that manages to complete the circuit.

    I don't know the full science behind it, but could accept that a 'dead' hand wouldn't have the same conductive properties as a 'live' one. In setting, I'm cool with that.

    I'm pretty sure a stylus has nothing to do with relying on 'us'. It's just a material that has the right conductive properties to work with the screen. That could be a good workaround for vampires who can't be bothered using a resource to make a call, but I could also see it being a matter of, much like normal people, many find it a nuisance to have to use it at all.

    I get that some people like them, and have seen remarkable art done with one, but if I'm just phone posting or wiki'ing something, the last thing I want is to have to poke at letters with one of those.

    Even if I were immortal, I can't see that annoyance go away.

    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)

    Real edit: well that's annoying; it's available on Amazon.com, but not on .ca. Might be able to avoid shipping by checking local gaming shops, but DFRPG isn't exactly a huge name that I'd expect to find easily on shelves either.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Delmain
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jim Butcher announced that Evil Hat Productions had the Dresden Files license in December 2004 and that they were due to launch the game in Summer 2006. Evil Hat started recruiting playtesters for The Dresden Files in late 2007, starting external play-testing in January 2008 and playtesting continued through 2008 and 2009. The game was opened for preorders in April 2010 and released in June 2010, to coincide with Origins 2010.

    Announced in 2004, aimed for release in 2006, actually released in 2010.

    It's... basically the Dresden Files in a nutshell at this point. :-P

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Elvenshae38thDoe
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Forar wrote: »
    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)
    I'd really like to read the Paranet wiki on the Red Court vampires.
    Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    ForarElvenshaeRchanenHeirPolaritieMr Ray
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)

    I'd really like to read the Paranet wiki on the Red Court vampires.
    Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

    Weakness = angry wizard.

    RchanenHeirPolaritie
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers @kaid @see317

    ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    ElvenshaeRchanenDelmainPolaritie
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorry about that Ket.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I've always wondered if maybe Harry's fear of technology was all him, and all other wizards can use cell phones.

    Luccio's a wizardly computer geek in the novels - she enjoys reading about programming and computer science, even though she's said she can't actually use them.

    (Now I'm wondering if there actually are any wizard programmers in the setting. Write your incantations out in longhand, pass them off to a muggle to implement...)

    Elvenshae
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers @kaid @see317

    I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.

    If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    HeirForar
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers @kaid @see317

    I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.

    Ok, I only said that because there was someone reading through the books for the first time a few pages back, and people have been spoiling most important things in the thread

    But you do you

    ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    kimeElvenshaeZibblsnrtCantide
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hey so spoilers, guys. Pretty damn big spoilers kaid see317

    I don't mean to be an ass, but Changes came out 8 years ago. OP only has restrictions on Skin Games, which at this point is still 3 years old.
    The OP wrote:
    Also, use spoilers for major events or twist. If you are discussing the new book put everything in spoilers for the newest book, some folks gotta work for a livin'. For older books try to keep it to minor stuff unspoiled and major stuff spoiled.

    I'd say that's a major event

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    kimeKetBraElvenshaeRchanenPolaritieMoridin889MazzyxCantide
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling that this long of a break between books is really gonna hurt the popularity of the series going forward, especially with what, like eight more books planned?

    I remember when that RPG was going to be a big deal and the TV show was supposed to be a big deal and that all has more or less passed, then almost another decade before the next book.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    kimeNitsuaHeir
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I could swear it's not about 'us' so much as a material that manages to complete the circuit.

    I don't know the full science behind it, but could accept that a 'dead' hand wouldn't have the same conductive properties as a 'live' one. In setting, I'm cool with that.

    I'm pretty sure a stylus has nothing to do with relying on 'us'. It's just a material that has the right conductive properties to work with the screen. That could be a good workaround for vampires who can't be bothered using a resource to make a call, but I could also see it being a matter of, much like normal people, many find it a nuisance to have to use it at all.

    I get that some people like them, and have seen remarkable art done with one, but if I'm just phone posting or wiki'ing something, the last thing I want is to have to poke at letters with one of those.

    Even if I were immortal, I can't see that annoyance go away.

    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)

    Real edit: well that's annoying; it's available on Amazon.com, but not on .ca. Might be able to avoid shipping by checking local gaming shops, but DFRPG isn't exactly a huge name that I'd expect to find easily on shelves either.

    Capacitive touch screens (the type on phones and tablets and such) rely on the thing touching it not only being conductive but also being grounded. Humans are pretty much always relatively grounded and human flesh is a decent conductor. Holding a copper rod with an insulating glove will make said rod not work as a stylus but holding it in your hand will. The stylus that you can buy for various devices uses conductive rubber that effectively makes contact with both the screen and your hand, again relying on you being grounded and conductive.

    Dessicated flesh probably wouldn't work with a phone (leather is not a great conductor, for example) and Vampire: the Masquerade, at least last time I played it, never really delves into how...moist...a vampire is at any given time so I could see potential for needing to freshen up your animate corpse a bit to use a touch screen, even with a stylus.

    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    RingoNyysjanPolaritieLeeks
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)
    I'd really like to read the Paranet wiki on the Red Court vampires.
    Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

    My attempt on that:
    On XX/YY/ZZZZ, the entire Red Court died. How this happened remains unclear. Rumors suggest it may be related to Warden Commander Harry Dresden assuming the position of Winter Knight the day before. What is clear is the totally of the event - no vampires of the Red Court are known to have survived, and all institutions known to be controlled by them (and many only suspected) were plunged into chaos. The remainder of this article is being preserved as historical record.


    I like to think the Paranet wouldn't have known right away what happened. At least not until the White Council put the word out that the war was over. I would expect they would announce the Red Court had been slain in its entirety, but they wouldn't mention anything of how. At most, acknowledging that an assault on the Red Court had been executed, and that there was little chance any member of the court had escaped. Truthful while implying a far superior position than the Council actually had (the assault actually being a desperation move... though I suppose Ebenezer's involvement makes it easy to claim it was totally sanctioned, if perhaps too successful). No mention of Winter's involvement, though the Paranet would have known Dresden had taken the mantle of Winter Knight since Mab advertised that to the whole Nevernever.

    I'm curious how much the Paranet was told about the war - I'm sure the White Council was just fine with publishing an official guide to red court vampires and how to avoid them, and Dresden would have told them how to keep their heads down in that fight anyways. I doubt it went much further than that though.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Though now I'm imagining the wiki that the Paranet must have going, and the running battle with edits that would occur as other beings/their minions try to change things up, insert false information, etc.

    I have to assume that the Dresden Files RPG probably touches on some of these elements. I have the first 2 books, and I think the 3rd is just outright about the Paranet. (Fake edit: it is)
    I'd really like to read the Paranet wiki on the Red Court vampires.
    Just pages on pages of lore and information on location and movements and assorted strengths and weaknesses crossed out, the only annotation: Nevermind, Dresden was here.

    My attempt on that:
    On XX/YY/ZZZZ, the entire Red Court died. How this happened remains unclear. Rumors suggest it may be related to Warden Commander Harry Dresden assuming the position of Winter Knight the day before. What is clear is the totally of the event - no vampires of the Red Court are known to have survived, and all institutions known to be controlled by them (and many only suspected) were plunged into chaos. The remainder of this article is being preserved as historical record.


    I like to think the Paranet wouldn't have known right away what happened. At least not until the White Council put the word out that the war was over. I would expect they would announce the Red Court had been slain in its entirety, but they wouldn't mention anything of how. At most, acknowledging that an assault on the Red Court had been executed, and that there was little chance any member of the court had escaped. Truthful while implying a far superior position than the Council actually had (the assault actually being a desperation move... though I suppose Ebenezer's involvement makes it easy to claim it was totally sanctioned, if perhaps too successful). No mention of Winter's involvement, though the Paranet would have known Dresden had taken the mantle of Winter Knight since Mab advertised that to the whole Nevernever.

    I'm curious how much the Paranet was told about the war - I'm sure the White Council was just fine with publishing an official guide to red court vampires and how to avoid them, and Dresden would have told them how to keep their heads down in that fight anyways. I doubt it went much further than that though.

    On the other hand...
    On the other hand the Paranet has a guy who tracks how often boats are rented and uses it to claim that dark forces are on the rise. And he was right.

    shryke wrote: »
    The Democrats aren't crazy but they are still, you know, running the US and it's foreign policy. Which is in the "you don't have a global hegemony without bombing a few eggs" wheelhouse.
Sign In or Register to comment.