Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

As cool as winter, as hot as summer and all Wizard [Harry Dresden]-Next book is not out!

1192021222325»

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Fearbreed wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    In Butcher's case its because of a big mess in his personal life getting in the way though iirc.

Yeah, Butcher had a lot of crazy juju there for a while. Renshaw had to stop to write his masters thesis. GRRM....there are no excuses. I know there is another series I was working on that is on hiatus but it's been a while and I can't remember right now.

GRRM last published a main book in 2011, and it's at least understandable that he's been working a lot on the HBO show and some side novels as to why he hasn't released the next main book.

Patrick Rothfuss last released a main book in 2011 and has mostly become an internet and D&D celebrity since then.

I think the former is far more understandable than the latter.

GRRM hasn't written for the show since season 4. Was he involved any substantial way with the back half of the series?

I'm not sure how much sympathy or frustration to have for stalled series. On one hand, it feels churlish to attack the author or their work because it's not coming out fast enough—despite social media, we never see more than a glimpse of what's actually going on in people's lives. And the people telling GRRM to finish before he dies are just shitheels.

On the other hand, the longest gap in the Harry Potter series was 3 years and Rowling had at least as much attention and pressure to continue as GRRM.

The longest gap in the Wheel of Time was 4 years, and that was because Robert Jordan actually died.

In close, I have no idea. I just want to read my books and the authors to have good lives.

• jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Go read (and then re-read) The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle before dunking on Patrick Rothfuss for not releasing a book.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    He did release a book in 2014, it was just not the book that folks wanted him to release.

Which for all the GRRM is lazy stuff you can say about him alot. He's released a few books since Dance, just not the ones folks wanted.

• HeirHeir Registered User regular
    He also wrote all the lore and world building for that new video game coming out.

camo_sig2.png
    Elvenshae
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Heir wrote: »
    He also wrote all the lore and world building for that new video game coming out.

From the E3 stuff, it sounds like he mainly was involved at getting the major points together (world cosmology, etc) and less so fleshing out the fine details.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Go read (and then re-read) The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle before dunking on Patrick Rothfuss for not releasing a book.

I have. It's a picture book aimed at young adults. It certainly didn't take as much as...

You know what, nevermind, I don't want to drag the thread further off topic.

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    Speaking of games, though, I’d love to see a Mass Effect-style Dresdenverse RPG.

Take a page from the tabletop game and build up a single city/region to explore in detail. I’d pick New England for that Cthulhu goodness.

Elvenshae
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Speaking of games, though, I’d love to see a Mass Effect-style Dresdenverse RPG.

Take a page from the tabletop game and build up a single city/region to explore in detail. I’d pick New England for that Cthulhu goodness.

https://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg/ ?

steam_sig.png
    Lorek wrote: »

Yeah, that, but a video game.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Yeah, that, but a video game.

Oh ho ho, wow, I totally missed what you meant by an RPG. Wowza, yeah, a Dresden video game would be awesome.

steam_sig.png
    NitsuaForarMancingtomjdarksunvalhalla130Elvenshae