Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

As cool as winter, as hot as summer and all Wizard [Harry Dresden]-Next book is not out!

1202122232426»

Posts

  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't take that release date as gospel. The system for store pages seem to require a date to put the page up. They posted false dates for the last book.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    SleepNitsua
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I wouldn't take that release date as gospel. The system for store pages seem to require a date to put the page up. They posted false dates for the last book.

    As someone that works ecommerce I'd put money down that yeah release date is a required data point.

    Also I might need a reread on this series which feels daunting for some reason. Though I might not do one just to see if butcher made it approachable without one.

  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Part of me is eager to finally get this, part is kind of tempted to wait until it’s in paperback or maybe the next one is in the editor’s hands. Basically, cut down the next wait by letting this lengthy one drag out a bit.

    Yeah yeah, has his own space finally, etc. I still don’t think we’re going to see the annual releases like he had going, which means 2022 might be optimistic for the next one showing up.

    Maybe it won’t be all that bad, I never expected a 6 year wait between books either.

    You have a local library, right? That's my plan until the paperback comes out

  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I may re-read them myself. Or at least the last book.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    webguy20
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I typically reread the two previous ones before a new Dresden Files hits. Which will be a delight going into Peace Talks, because Cold Days and Skin Game are 2 of my favorites (along with White Knight, Death Masks and Changes).

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    ElvenshaekimejdarksunMancingtomJayrichoZibblsnrtRchanen
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I just went ahead and reread the whole series this month. Might have to do Skin Game again right before the new one comes out.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 30
    Veevee wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Part of me is eager to finally get this, part is kind of tempted to wait until it’s in paperback or maybe the next one is in the editor’s hands. Basically, cut down the next wait by letting this lengthy one drag out a bit.

    Yeah yeah, has his own space finally, etc. I still don’t think we’re going to see the annual releases like he had going, which means 2022 might be optimistic for the next one showing up.

    Maybe it won’t be all that bad, I never expected a 6 year wait between books either.

    You have a local library, right? That's my plan until the paperback comes out

    Procuring one isn't the problem. I have and will likely continue to buy hardcovers.

    It's the 'omg I got it and devoured it within hours of owning it, so, when's the next one, what do you mean it's 2+ years away?' element I'm considering.

    Like, if Butcher has found his groove and is comfy in his own space, and knocks out another within a year, awesome. But between his other series and short story compilations and work on other aspects, consider me a little wary of my natural inclination to exacerbate my own wait, as it were.

    Realistically, yeah, I'll probably have it at release, but I guess I'm still working through some stuff. And while it's great that he's gotten married and has his new house and all that, who knows what the next 6, 12, 18+ months might bring to put continuing the saga on the backburner.

    Not trying to rain on the parade, perhaps I'm just projecting somewhat from the years and years of waiting, and suspecting it'll be years more to come. I keep coming back to Butcher himself saying he envisioned 20'ish case files books and an 'apocalyptic trilogy' to capstone things. Another ~7 books could be a decade or two even at fairly regular pace without any major life or story snags.

    At a time I should be happy we're finally getting a continuation, we've been waiting long enough maybe I'm a bit reluctant to fully embrace that enthusiasm once more. It is fraught with peril and likely to lead to frustration. Not to mention the concern that, like so many things over the years, all that waiting and engagement may or may not be wrapped up well in the ending. When might it end, and will that end even be what fans/I want?

    Eh, I guess we'll see in time.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I'm pondering a reread from Summer Knight and onwards. The first three books are so much rougher than the rest they can be tough to get through for me.

    kimeMegaMan001webguy20ZibblsnrtMoridin889
  • RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I'm pondering a reread from Summer Knight and onwards. The first three books are so much rougher than the rest they can be tough to get through for me.

    I can understand the sentiment, but isn't the party in Grave Peril supposed to be the secret linchpin to the entire series?

    Elvenshae
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ah I don't even remember that. I'll probably need to do a full reread. I remember only really struggling with the second book. First one was good enough to get me to read the second unprompted and the third one I rather liked.



    steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Don't forget how eminently readable Butcher is. I think it's one of his greatest strengths as a writer.

    But yes my own rereads also skip the first two.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    webguy20kimeMoridin889
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I'm pondering a reread from Summer Knight and onwards. The first three books are so much rougher than the rest they can be tough to get through for me.

    I can understand the sentiment, but isn't the party in Grave Peril supposed to be the secret linchpin to the entire series?

    That is true, and Grave Peril is decent as well. Probably worth starting with considering how the fallout from that book shapes the series in general.

    kimeKetBra
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    It could be just that I've read it more recently but I really want more Aeronaut's Windlass as well.



    steam_sig.png
    BlackDragon480destroyah87Elvenshaesee317JayrichoBanzai5150Mancingtom
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Don't forget how eminently readable Butcher is. I think it's one of his greatest strengths as a writer.

    But yes my own rereads also skip the first two.

    It had been so long since I'd read the first two that I'd relegated them (especially Fool Moon) to the category of "not that great, before he really hit his stride".

    Re-reading them this year, I was reminded just how engaging even Butcher's bottom-tier stuff is. One of those "bad for him is still very good" situations.

    ElvenshaeKetBra
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I pretty much only want Dresden Files from Butcher. I've tried his other stuff and it just doesn't work for me, especially Codex. I can appreciate its hilarious origins as a monumental "challenge accepted" but it's just bleh.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I pretty much only want Dresden Files from Butcher. I've tried his other stuff and it just doesn't work for me, especially Codex. I can appreciate its hilarious origins as a monumental "challenge accepted" but it's just bleh.

    I recently reread Alera and I could not disagree more.

    It might even beat our the Dresden Files as my favorite series.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    destroyah87Rchanen
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    It could be just that I've read it more recently but I really want more Aeronaut's Windlass as well.

    As the proud property of a kitty, yes, I want more fun with Rowl and his tribe.

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    ElvenshaeJayrichoDavid Walgas
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed all three series, but fell off at the end of Codex on my first attempt at a reread. Aeronaut's Windlass left me really wanting to know what happens next, and wanting to know more about that world in general.

    Can't wait for more Dresden, and more Aeronaut's.

    JayrichoRchanenBanzai5150
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Don't forget how eminently readable Butcher is. I think it's one of his greatest strengths as a writer.

    But yes my own rereads also skip the first two.

    It had been so long since I'd read the first two that I'd relegated them (especially Fool Moon) to the category of "not that great, before he really hit his stride".

    Re-reading them this year, I was reminded just how engaging even Butcher's bottom-tier stuff is. One of those "bad for him is still very good" situations.

    They are solid, sure. But especially Fool Moon is very below the quality of the rest of the series.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    BlackDragon480WACriminal38thDoeCantideMoridin889KetBra
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    Fool Moon is definitely the weakest. Storm Front is Butcher's first novel and it shows, but it's also pretty tight, actually. Fool Moon retreads the same emotional space wrt Murph and Dresden and so is just not very interesting.

    Grave Peril is definitely worth hitting on a re-read because between Michael, the party, and Lea, it's essentially the start of the actually throughline narrative of the series.

    ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    BlackDragon480Tofystedethkime
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fool Moon is worth it if just for the loup garou and Marcone, even though it is the weakest

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    NitsuaJayrichoSleep
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Fool Moon is worth it if just for the loup garou and Marcone, even though it is the weakest

    That’s not how you spell “the Alphas”

    But yes. Fool Moon isn’t that great on the whole, but I still like it for the same reasons listed.

    steam_sig.png
    PailryderSleepvalhalla130
Sign In or Register to comment.