As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have it sitting on my desk here at work.

Taunting me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Yes, and yes.

It’s possible that the first and last stories were my favorites, but I liked all of them.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I went to the library and put a hold on Brief Cases. I grabbed the Aeronaut's Windlass because I think people may have said it was good somewhere in here. Larger than I expected!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

I picked it up digitally on Friday night. I find it rather worthwhile. If you got the last story collection revolving around Bigfoot, those same three stories are available here as well, so it would devalue the collection a bit... but, even with that, I found the stories well done and they left me wanting to see more of Jedi Butters, Lady Winter Molly, Mouse, Maggie, and, of course, Dresden himself. However, now that I'm listing the major characters from this book, I notice one large, important character was completely left out and not really even mentioned: Murphy. How odd that not a single story (at least ones not revolving around Bigfoot) had her in it.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Peace Talks'll be out before Winds of Winter

Winds of Winter non jokingly isn’t ever coming out. Sanderson is waiting for that phone call.

Sanderson says he'd be a terrible fit because it'd end with everyone getting married.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brief Cases: Zoo Day:

I'm not crying, you're crying!
    To the same damn moments, three separate times! Butcher, you magnificent bastard.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Peace Talks'll be out before Winds of Winter

Winds of Winter non jokingly isn’t ever coming out. Sanderson is waiting for that phone call.

Sanderson says he'd be a terrible fit because it'd end with everyone getting married.

Given Westeros' track record with weddings? Could still keep the intended body count.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    How's this The Cinder Spires stuff anyway? I'm looking for some light reading stuff again.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    How's this The Cinder Spires stuff anyway? I'm looking for some light reading stuff again.
    It's ok.
    The world is interesting, characters are varied and the story is fairly self contained even with the skyscraper sized sequel hooks.
    And the multiple viewpoints help with some of the issues Dresden Files had with Dresdens sometimes rather sexist world view.

Most of the characters on the ball are men, and the women of the book with major parts are kinda newcomers who need help and/or advice from the men.
    But that's done in a way that shows them growing into their roles, and they do play major parts in their own ways, and makes me interested in seeing where their stories go.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Zoo Day:
    The politics talking infected older people were amusing, you just need to know someone like that to get it apparently. It's not about the politics.

Maggie having anxiety is kind of a misstep for me as it's no fun to read, even if it's logical etc. I hope she overcomes it sooner rather than later or it's minimized like here. I dread when she somehow remembers Dresden and Susan.

And most importantly:

Mouse is a good dog!

@tbloxham What series of Jonathan Moeller's exactly? Frostborn? Edit: Oh, looking at the covers for The Ghosts you must mean those (not seeing your criticism much, they're just women with swords mostly with 1 back/ass shot, kind of cheesy but otherwise...) but that must be them.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the feedback. No stories on Marcone either?

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    There's the Even Hand story that is all Marcone. If you haven't read it yet, it's very good and quite informative regarding his character.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Zoo Day:
    The politics talking infected older people were amusing, you just need to know someone like that to get it apparently. It's not about the politics.

Maggie having anxiety is kind of a misstep for me as it's no fun to read, even if it's logical etc. I hope she overcomes it sooner rather than later or it's minimized like here. I dread when she somehow remembers Dresden and Susan.

And most importantly:

Mouse is a good dog!

@tbloxham What series of Jonathan Moeller's exactly? Frostborn? Edit: Oh, looking at the covers for The Ghosts you must mean those (not seeing your criticism much, they're just women with swords mostly with 1 back/ass shot, kind of cheesy but otherwise...) but that must be them.

Cloak Games actually is the worst ones. They are actually his best books for female characters, but the covers make it look like you are reading some erotic D&D fan fiction.

Like I said, I think its just he realizes that a good way to get lots of cheap cover art is to rent $200 of costumes and hire a model for the day and have her stand around in the costumes, and he always cuts out the head of the model because it means you still have the freedom to imagine the main character looks however you want (and it means he doesn't need to pay for hair and makeup and find a lookalike, just someone hot who wants $400 for a days photos) but it still comes out as a cover I'm vaguely ashamed of if my kids ever saw it on my Kindle! Sure, it's just cheesecake, and the characters inside more than make up for it, but its still a low point for me. I prefer his 'random geometric shapes' series of covers that he used back on some older books.

Now that I look at them, I realize its the missing heads on the women which makes it seem so sexist to me. The camera just looking at their bodies just seems SO creepy. If I disregard the missing heads, the characters aren't shot that awfully, its totally the missing heads which makes it seem like "Check out that ASS!"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077TKQC6T/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&linkCode=li3&tag=jonmoepulwr0f-20&linkId=606a63d9435d0df41259aa5bab8c7e80

Ghost in the Glass has most of the head, and looks fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloak-Games-Thief-Jonathan-Moeller-ebook/dp/B013M7OZG2/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Compare that to 'Thief Trap', where the missing head makes the whole thing look super weird.

However, they are still good books, and of a very similar style to the Harry Dresden books, and since Moeller writes about 1 a week, you can read his next 3 series before the next Dresden book comes out. How many times will the heroes stop the Villains from raising all the dead in the entire world at the same time? I'm betting 3 times!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    It's ok.
    The world is interesting, characters are varied and the story is fairly self contained even with the skyscraper sized sequel hooks.
    And the multiple viewpoints help with some of the issues Dresden Files had with Dresdens sometimes rather sexist world view.

Most of the characters on the ball are men, and the women of the book with major parts are kinda newcomers who need help and/or advice from the men.
    But that's done in a way that shows them growing into their roles, and they do play major parts in their own ways, and makes me interested in seeing where their stories go.

I think it's worth noting that only one male character has a perspective we follow. All the others are women (or cats). That makes the feel very different even from Codex Alera where it was 50/50 male/female perspective.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The cat identifies as male and even the newcomer female POVs are actually skilled at their own things. Like one is very coming of age-ish but what I remember of the other was that she was pretty all around competent in a general way.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He just needs to write a mini crossover and get Peace Talks done. It sounds like Dresden is going to need all the help he can get.

Mouse and Rowl would have an interesting talk.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The cat identifies as male and even the newcomer female POVs are actually skilled at their own things. Like one is very coming of age-ish but what I remember of the other was that she was pretty all around competent in a general way.

Both of the women are doing a coming of age thing. Gwen is competent at many things but doesn't have much real world experience and tends to let her temper get the better of her. Bridget has less experience and practice then Gwen, but makes up for it by being the most level headed person in the cast. Bridget just flat out doesn't panic much. And when she does she doesn't let it affect her behavior.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I didn't care for the Aeronaut's Windlass. Couldn't even finish it.

Don't remember too much about it. Talking cats. No reason for it, just... the cats can talk and are people.

A bit too fancifully whimsical for my taste.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I may have come of sounding bit too critical of the characters.
    The women of the story are young (one preteen (i think) wizards apprentice and 2 (very different) young nobles just entering the royal guard training).
    The men (apart from the cat) are all older (youngest being few years older than the noble ladies, oldest being the wizard who is atleast in his 60s, probably lot older).
    Yet, the women in the story more than pull their weight, both narratively and through actions they take.
    The pirate captain (possibly the most archetypical protagonist of the bunch), is the weakest character in the story i think, being rather bland and stereotypical cunning rogue type hero, but even he is pretty ok.

In some ways, i think the wizards apprentice is the most critical person for the plot, but not going to spoil it.

edit-
    On cats, not really story spoilers, just my theories based on stuff in the books.
    I think the cats were genetically modified to be bigger, stronger and smarter to be able to deal with vermin, including the spider monsters.
    They might not be able to take down an adult weaver (don't remember the name exactly), atleast without horrific losses, but they seem incredibly effective against the larva in a way that humans simply are not (small size may help because the are fighting creatures their own size, instead of being swarmed by dozens of smaller ones).
    At some point in the past, cats rebelled to gain independence, but they still remember how humans used to treat them as pets, which is why they are so incredibly independent, and being given food by humans is forbidden.
    But they still act as pest control, having an "understanding" with lot of the noble houses, even if in some cases nobody has actually talked to a cat in generations (i assume servants leave out somekind of payment out of tradition and having themselves possibly forgotten why they do it).

This on top of habbles (habitats), the humans that seem to have cat genes spliced into them, spires themselves and the vat grown meat (along other things), make me think the spires is happening in the distant future on earth (or a colonized planet) with people living in ancient arcologies designed as safe havens from whatever is making the ground unionhabitable for humans (as well as direct sunlight without protection).

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So three months later my library finally got Brief Cases in and it was wonderful to read through. Dresden Files from other viewpoints is fun. Butter's story was great. The author notes on each story were a really welcome addition. I'd love to read something similar on all his books. Now I'm considering a re-read because he kept saying when the short stories occurred and I couldn't honestly remember what the plot of the books were.
    Grevane from the Wild West story was a villain in Dead Beat?? Or was he the dead guy they were summoning? Or was that the one with the Denarians?

I also really enjoyed Aeronaut's Windlass. It has a very engaging world and the way the events roll it is a really tough book to free your face from. My wife read and enjoyed it as well. We hope Butcher can write a sequel to it soon.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So three months later my library finally got Brief Cases in and it was wonderful to read through. Dresden Files from other viewpoints is fun. Butter's story was great. The author notes on each story were a really welcome addition. I'd love to read something similar on all his books. Now I'm considering a re-read because he kept saying when the short stories occurred and I couldn't honestly remember what the plot of the books were.
    Grevane from the Wild West story was a villain in Dead Beat?? Or was he the dead guy they were summoning? Or was that the one with the Denarians?

I also really enjoyed Aeronaut's Windlass. It has a very engaging world and the way the events roll it is a really tough book to free your face from. My wife read and enjoyed it as well. We hope Butcher can write a sequel to it soon.

Re: Spoiler:
    Grevane was one of the Kemmlings who was attempting to do the Darkhallow ritual, along with the Capiorcorpus and the Cowl / Kumori duo.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ah, the bright spark of hope when I see the Dresden thread bumped up in the morning.
    And the crushing disappointment when I see it's not an update on the next book.
    And the tiny joy in contributing another post to get other peoples hopes up in the same way...

• Options
    I had also just finished up Brief Cases. It was a fun collection. Also really liked Zoo Day and how it kept making me get even more excited as the reveals went forward.

Harry, Maggie and Mouse go to the Zoo? Good.
    Maggie POV retelling of the same. Great!
    Mouse POV retelling? Mouse is awesome!

• Options
    Yeah. Those names sound familiar but I don't really remember their details. I guess I should do that reread.
    Maybe I can try and figure out if he actually was writing the conspiracy through all the books or just went back to try and tie it in at the end. Of course It'd be easier if I remembered the conspiracy heh.

On the Molly Story
    So are they saying Cthulu is an outsider trying to get through the gate? Because Carlos makes it sound like they are already here also.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited August 2018
    On the Molly Story
    So are they saying Cthulu is an outsider trying to get through the gate? Because Carlos makes it sound like they are already here also.

Both.
    Their is a big wall in the Nevernever where the cthullu folks are always trying to get through and the Winter Court constantly wars to keep them away. However, folks can lead them around the gate by worshiping them or other magic rites and some of that has happened a few times. There are Outsiders that are past the gate though they tend to not be real subtle and get swatted as best they can. How much wizards can really do against outsiders is an open question then some of the latest books talk about with Demonreach and such.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Cinder Spires- just know that it's different than Dresden and Codex in fundamental ways.

• Options
    Dunno if someone put this in here, but it's from a June 1st AMA. So maybe he'll be done sometime in the next month.
    level 2
    jimbutcherauthor
    AMA Author
    689 points
    ·
    2 months ago
    Living without a workspace greatly impacted my ability to perform as a professional, but I fell in love with a girl who is awesome and I was tired of not being near her.

I started building a house that was supposed to be finished in nine months. It took three years. So it's been very difficult to get much work done in that time. Now, finally, I've got a house, and as soon as I'm not promoting Brief Cases I will be kicking of the big middle scene of Peace Talks, and then all I have to do is write the roller coaster to the end of the story.

My goal is to have it in the can before I get married in September. :)

• Options
    Yeah. Those names sound familiar but I don't really remember their details. I guess I should do that reread.
    Maybe I can try and figure out if he actually was writing the conspiracy through all the books or just went back to try and tie it in at the end. Of course It'd be easier if I remembered the conspiracy heh.

On the Molly Story

Re: Molly Story
    It sounds like some of the Outsiders have managed to make it through the gates since the beginning of time and are generally considered Bad News by everyone in the know.
    I don't think we know if these are top tier ones that powered through, or weak ones that slipped through unnoticed.

Either way, it's probably not an ideal situation.

I mean, if Cthulhu is one of the weak ones that managed to sneak through unnoticed, then try imagining what's on the other side waiting for it's moment.
    If Cthulhu is a big dog that powered his way through, then the army at the gates have already failed and all of Winter's War is nothing but a delaying action.
    I suppose best case scenario, Cthulhu showed up before the gates, wound up on the wrong side of the wall when it went up, and decided to sleep out the eons until the matter was decided one way or the other.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It’s not like I think he’s gonna turn Harry into a Nazi or something, but I think there’s a painfully high chance we get some subtle digs. He already busted out the “trust but verify” line in the Peace Talks preview chapter. The saying wasn’t created by Gamergate, but they sure loved using it, and him choosing it might point to the kind of company he was keeping at the time he wrote it. I’m not going to be surprised to see something like a woman with dyed hair getting a stern lecture from Harry about “how the world really works”, or a female character who turns out to be a “professional victim”.

What. That's just a phrase that comes up in discussing security... don't tell me it's yet another phrase poisoned...

I'm not too concerned about Butcher's stance on women after The Aeronaut's Windlass though. Much better than early Dresden books in that regard.

What is the status on his writing anyways? He'd nearly stopped for life issues or something wasn't it?

It gained popularity as a response to an Anita Sarkeesian slide at one of her presentations that said “listen and believe”, referring to not automatically dismissing people when they come forward with stories of harassment (sort of a #MeToo precursor). GG decided that it meant us crazy SJWs think people should blindly believe everything they’re told, and started using “trust but verify” as a slogan for how rational and discerning they were.
    On the Molly Story

Both.
    Their is a big wall in the Nevernever where the cthullu folks are always trying to get through and the Winter Court constantly wars to keep them away. However, folks can lead them around the gate by worshiping them or other magic rites and some of that has happened a few times. There are Outsiders that are past the gate though they tend to not be real subtle and get swatted as best they can. How much wizards can really do against outsiders is an open question then some of the latest books talk about with Demonreach and such.
    We know of at least two ways to hurt one.

Blowing them up with mundane explosives. Specifically, He Who Walks Behind got offed (temporarily) when Dresden blew a gas station sky high underneath him.

And second, soulfire-boosted spells punch right through whatever innate resistance they have. This oneay be more permanent.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Gatekeeper
    basically says that his job is to give people (or whatever) returning from the battle outside the gates a once over with his crystal eye in order to make sure no Outsiders are hitching a ride. He also basically says that the inspection mostly works.

• Options
    He Who Walks Behind
    I thought he was a Demon?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It’s not like I think he’s gonna turn Harry into a Nazi or something, but I think there’s a painfully high chance we get some subtle digs. He already busted out the “trust but verify” line in the Peace Talks preview chapter. The saying wasn’t created by Gamergate, but they sure loved using it, and him choosing it might point to the kind of company he was keeping at the time he wrote it. I’m not going to be surprised to see something like a woman with dyed hair getting a stern lecture from Harry about “how the world really works”, or a female character who turns out to be a “professional victim”.

What. That's just a phrase that comes up in discussing security... don't tell me it's yet another phrase poisoned...

I'm not too concerned about Butcher's stance on women after The Aeronaut's Windlass though. Much better than early Dresden books in that regard.

What is the status on his writing anyways? He'd nearly stopped for life issues or something wasn't it?

It gained popularity as a response to an Anita Sarkeesian slide at one of her presentations that said “listen and believe”, referring to not automatically dismissing people when they come forward with stories of harassment (sort of a #MeToo precursor). GG decided that it meant us crazy SJWs think people should blindly believe everything they’re told, and started using “trust but verify” as a slogan for how rational and discerning they were.
    On the Molly Story

Both.
    We know of at least two ways to hurt one.

Blowing them up with mundane explosives. Specifically, He Who Walks Behind got offed (temporarily) when Dresden blew a gas station sky high underneath him.

And second, soulfire-boosted spells punch right through whatever innate resistance they have. This oneay be more permanent.
    I thought there was an implication that Harry had some special quirk that allowed him to hurt Outsiders? And that may be why he's able to damage them?

And I think he even once speculated that he never actually beat He Who Walks Behind at the gas station, but there was some nefarious other purpose there.

Both of those were like, one-liners, so I may be misremembering

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    He Who Walks Behind

Nope.
    Outsider, and a high ranking one. Blowing him up seems to have done little more than banish him and mark Dresden's aura in some way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    He Who Walks Behind

Naw, that critter's origin was confirmed in one of the recent main series books. I forget which one though.
    It was something very vaguely like;
    Person: Not everyone can take on an outsider and live. (maybe at such a young age or something)
    Dresden: Wut?
    Person: He Who Walks Behind, he's an outsider.
    Dresden: Wut wut?
    The cosmology and whatnot of the Dresdenverse has changed a lot since the first book, so I suspect that at the time of writing your take on HWWB was correct.

• Options
    He Who Walks Behind

Naw, that critter's origin was confirmed in one of the recent main series books. I forget which one though.
    Person: Not everyone can take on an outsider and live. (maybe at such a young age or something)
    The cosmology and whatnot of the Dresdenverse has changed a lot since the first book, so I suspect that at the time of writing your take on HWWB was correct.
    Didn't He Who Walks Behind come from the evil wizard raising him(Justin??'s) Death Curse? If not how did he get on Harry?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    He Who Walks Behind

Didn't He Who Walks Behind come from the evil wizard raising him(Justin??'s) Death Curse? If not how did he get on Harry?
    Yes, DuMorne called him up which is part of the evidence we have that Walkers can bypass the Gate if they've got help from the inside. The Molly story that started this tangent also mentions a church devoted to them.

• Options
    He Who Walks Behind

Yes, DuMorne called him up which is part of the evidence we have that Walkers can bypass the Gate if they've got help from the inside. The Molly story that started this tangent also mentions a church devoted to them.
    The church sounded like it was dedicated to Cthulhu specifically, rather than Outsiders in general. Though I may be misremembering.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    He Who Walks Behind

The church sounded like it was dedicated to Cthulhu specifically, rather than Outsiders in general. Though I may be misremembering.
    In Dresden lore I'm pretty sure Cthulhu is just an Outsider who got good PR along with a bunch of other things from the mythos. Doesn't Carlos complain about it and the whole Lovecraft thing?

Edit about books in Dresden and thoughts:
    So at what point does Cthulhu as written by Lovecraft replace the Outsider who created the stories? Can belief be hijacked like that? We know from Butter's first day on the new job that supernatural beings can be created by new loci of beliefs so....can we make a vaccine Cthulhu? Create a nexus of belief that basically hijacks a lot of the mystical mojo that Outsider Cthulhu is trying to use to break through?
    1430259697891.png

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    He Who Walks Behind

In Dresden lore I'm pretty sure Cthulhu is just an Outsider who got good PR along with a bunch of other things from the mythos. Doesn't Carlos complain about it and the whole Lovecraft thing?

I am pretty sure...
    One of the things the White Council has done for years is try and limit or destroy knowledge of outsiders especially because that is the best way to prevent them from gaining entry to our world. And Lovecraft kind of fucked that up. Also this is why Mab and the other Fae do a lot to plant stories and such about them into the general literature to maintain that belief and power from it.

u7stthr17eud.png