We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

As cool as winter, as hot as summer[Harry Dresden]-Battle Grounds is out!

1373839404143»

• zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    White Council/Harry
    Rereading stuff about the Starborn, and it doesn't say they are capable of stopping outsiders, iirc it says they can control Starborn.

I really think him being kicked out is a Black Council plot. We already know they are cozy with the Outsiders (right? With the mordite?), so it would make sense if they are trying to ostricize the WC's best weapon against the Outsiders, and they may be hoping to turn him?

Also, I finally started reading Side Jobs, and there is definitely a bit where Bob is talking about how being married to a Sidhe puts yourself under their control, and they can screw with your brain. I don't know that Mab is necessarily doing that to Harry (although would he recognize that? It is written from his perspective), especially with him pointing out how his effectiveness is tied to who he is. But I could also see the way that bond works being real concerning for everyone else.

Am I misunderstanding who you are referencing?
    Harry is getting hitched to the White Court, not the Sidhe.

To clarify
    You are correct about the future.

However in the short story about Bill and Georgia's wedding, Bob says

"He’ll be bound to her, the way the Winter Knights are bound to the Winter Queens. She’ll be able to impose her will over his. Change the way he thinks and feels about things."

Bob's not wrong, but...
    I think he's only technically correct. Mab is able to give him tasks to complete, and he is duty bound to carry them out. That's definitely imposing her will on his, but not nearly as sinister as what it seems like Bob is saying. Plus the Maeve situation and the Hades heist had Harry being given direct orders by Mab, but being able to interpret them creatively in order to achieve Mab's (remarkably reasonable, all things considered) goals in a non-psychotic way. And changing the way he things and feels about things is rather overwrought too. The implication is that she'll be performing mind mojo, but when you look at what's changed with Harry and his take on Mab and Winter in general, the biggest impact was probably his visit to the Outer Gates. The next two were the death of Maeve followed by Peace Talks/Battle Ground. No mind-mojo involved, just hanging out and working with the person responsible for guarding all of reality, whose main tool is throwing her people into a meat grinder. Heck, even Molly is becoming slightly more sympathetic to the situation that Mab is dealing with. The message I got from the end of the Molly/Carlos short story was that Mab would absolutely love to have additional options for dealing with the Outsiders that doesn't involve child soldiers or any of the other stuff that Winter's 100% military activation would involve.

Also
    It is also implied that she feels every death in winter. So not only is she throwing an army into the meat grinder, she feels every single one of them die and get injured.

So I get her being cranky and when she says Molly isn’t ready to be Mab.

GiantGeek2020Zibblsnrt
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    White Council/Harry
    Rereading stuff about the Starborn, and it doesn't say they are capable of stopping outsiders, iirc it says they can control Starborn.

I really think him being kicked out is a Black Council plot. We already know they are cozy with the Outsiders (right? With the mordite?), so it would make sense if they are trying to ostricize the WC's best weapon against the Outsiders, and they may be hoping to turn him?

Also, I finally started reading Side Jobs, and there is definitely a bit where Bob is talking about how being married to a Sidhe puts yourself under their control, and they can screw with your brain. I don't know that Mab is necessarily doing that to Harry (although would he recognize that? It is written from his perspective), especially with him pointing out how his effectiveness is tied to who he is. But I could also see the way that bond works being real concerning for everyone else.

Am I misunderstanding who you are referencing?
    Harry is getting hitched to the White Court, not the Sidhe.

To clarify
    You are correct about the future.

However in the short story about Bill and Georgia's wedding, Bob says

"He’ll be bound to her, the way the Winter Knights are bound to the Winter Queens. She’ll be able to impose her will over his. Change the way he thinks and feels about things."

Bob's not wrong, but...
    I think he's only technically correct. Mab is able to give him tasks to complete, and he is duty bound to carry them out. That's definitely imposing her will on his, but not nearly as sinister as what it seems like Bob is saying. Plus the Maeve situation and the Hades heist had Harry being given direct orders by Mab, but being able to interpret them creatively in order to achieve Mab's (remarkably reasonable, all things considered) goals in a non-psychotic way. And changing the way he things and feels about things is rather overwrought too. The implication is that she'll be performing mind mojo, but when you look at what's changed with Harry and his take on Mab and Winter in general, the biggest impact was probably his visit to the Outer Gates. The next two were the death of Maeve followed by Peace Talks/Battle Ground. No mind-mojo involved, just hanging out and working with the person responsible for guarding all of reality, whose main tool is throwing her people into a meat grinder. Heck, even Molly is becoming slightly more sympathetic to the situation that Mab is dealing with. The message I got from the end of the Molly/Carlos short story was that Mab would absolutely love to have additional options for dealing with the Outsiders that doesn't involve child soldiers or any of the other stuff that Winter's 100% military activation would involve.

Also
    It is also implied that she feels every death in winter. So not only is she throwing an army into the meat grinder, she feels every single one of them die and get injured.

So I get her being cranky and when she says Molly isn’t ready to be Mab.

Hence her request in Battle Ground
    for Harry to kill Molly should Mab fall. Not literally (mostly), but something needs to be done about Molly's empathic nature in order for her to be an effective Winter Queen. Literally killing Molly only being possible on Halloween.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!