As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Wolf, Part Three By Tavis Maiden

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Wolf, Part Three By Tavis Maiden

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    What's up with sending the kids to do this stuff? I don't even let my son bounce on the back of the couch! I kinda feel like the storyline PA stuff ought to come with a built-in What The Fuck explainer that you can expand by clicking below the comic, or, like, something where you can hover over characters and it pops up what the hell is going on. I love the creativity and I *want* to get more invested in what's happening, but it feels like I'm looking into these worlds through a peephole sometimes and it gets frustrating.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @PeriSoft What men must know, boys must learn.

My question for this particular universe is "Are the monsters they hunt always evil?" We can assume that the things they do are for the safety of the people they're meant to protect, but being dangerous is not the same as being evil. And since there has already been demonstrated a rift between the Lookouts and the Daughters, with both sides given fairly sympathetic positions, it seems to imply the Lookouts are not necessarily the "good guys". Also, there's the Thornwatch, described as "oath breakers"; but I assume they'd left the Lookouts for personal reasons rather than, say, simple cowardice.

I guess I'm wondering if the stories will ever hit a point that reveals to the reader that, like many other valued institutions, the Lookouts are no longer what they started out to be. They still provide a necessary service, but there are acts and attitudes behind the veneer that are not in line with their stated goals.

I've got some super edgy headcanon going on here, guys. So edgy.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    @PeriSoft What men must know, boys must learn.

My question for this particular universe is "Are the monsters they hunt always evil?" We can assume that the things they do are for the safety of the people they're meant to protect, but being dangerous is not the same as being evil. And since there has already been demonstrated a rift between the Lookouts and the Daughters, with both sides given fairly sympathetic positions, it seems to imply the Lookouts are not necessarily the "good guys". Also, there's the Thornwatch, described as "oath breakers"; but I assume they'd left the Lookouts for personal reasons rather than, say, simple cowardice.

I guess I'm wondering if the stories will ever hit a point that reveals to the reader that, like many other valued institutions, the Lookouts are no longer what they started out to be. They still provide a necessary service, but there are acts and attitudes behind the veneer that are not in line with their stated goals.

I've got some super edgy headcanon going on here, guys. So edgy.

No, I don't think most of the monsters the Lookouts hunt are evil. I think most of them are just hungry. The comics certainly haven't shown any evil intent for most of them. They'd need to show them killing and/or causing mayhem without needing to for me to feel they are evil. This "wolf" seems pretty hungry. The sphinx is driven to riddle. I don't know anything about huge owl-panther. And that treephelant was probably not doing anything to anybody. It's a fantastic version of man settling a new territory.
    Mike said the Thornwatch are ghosts. Which explains why they can be summoned at a moments notice, and why summoning them is taboo amongst Lookouts.

I think we need a name for the culture the Lookouts are from.

• Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    @METROIDKILLAH Yeah, I remember that. But it doesn't seem like the boys are being *taught* so much as being thrown in the water to see who swims. Granted, that wouldn't be unprecedented in history, but humans also tend to try to protect and guide their offspring rather than just say, "Hey kids, time to go fight the big wolf whatever thing! Have fun with that! Maybe some of you will live!" Human societies just don't tend to OPERATE that way, so it pulls me out of the story when I feel like that's happening.

Maybe there are good narrative reasons for it, but I'm not feeling like that background is there enough. I'm pretty obsessive about PA, so if *I'm* not seeing this stuff, then I have to imagine that normal people are totally freakin' lost.

• Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    Well, who knows, there could be a bunch of older Lookouts hanging out behind nearby trees and watching. Maybe this is a final exam and these are well-trained operatives, even though their age, to us, indicates they don't know shit. Based on their fighting skills and coordination here, that seems pretty likely that they've already been taught quite a bit.

• Options
    Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Remember when PA made amusing video game-related comics instead of this sort of drivel? It seems like these projects have not the slightest hint of story to them, nor any wit or character development. I can understand that they're looking to push their medium, but a fight sequence against a giant wolf isn't the way...

Goodfella2487 on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Remember when PA made amusing video game-related comics instead of this sort of drivel? It seems like these projects have not the slightest hint of story to them, nor any wit or character development. I can understand that they're looking to push their medium, but a fight sequence against a giant wolf isn't the way...

Looks like you'll have to find other sources of free entertainment.

Also LOL @ wanting more "Gabe and Tycho on a couch playing a vidja game" comics because the side projects don't have enough story.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

Also LOL @ wanting more "Gabe and Tycho on a couch playing a vidja game" comics because the side projects don't have enough story.

It's not that they don't have enough story, they have zero story. And at least the "vidja game" comics are consistently funny.

Goodfella2487 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So now it is apparent what this outing meant to be: These babes sought to dispatch this "Wolf", as with the Lion-Tree!

On a non rhyming note: 'The Wolf' has a notably singular description for a baddie in this realm. Other beasts (Basilisk, Tree-Lion) seemed to have been recurring problems around which poems and training games were developed.

If there is only one Wolf, but he fucks off after getting a belly full of kids, my initial read of this being a sacrifice disguised as a mission may still be the case.

Why is there no lookouts wiki

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

Because none of the comics offer enough definite information to create an article bigger than a "stub."

• Options
    edited November 2015

Because none of the comics offer enough definite information to create an article bigger than a "stub."

Exactly, you just solidified my point. Is it too much to ask for a little narrative? Some background? If the reader is constantly asking "why" then you'd better set aside some time to reexamine your plot structure, because dramatic fight sequences do not equal story.

Goodfella2487 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Exactly, you just solidified my point. Is it too much to ask for a little narrative? Some background? If the reader is constantly asking "why" then you'd better set aside some time to reexamine your plot structure, because dramatic fight sequences do not equal story.

Look dude, I have my own problems with the way the Lookouts stories are executed, but ultimately this site is entertainment Mike and Jerry provide for free. They are going to make comics about what they want, whether that's video game joke-a-day or Lookouts or Automata or whatever, and if you don't like it you're free to take all the money you're not spending elsewhere.

In this case your criticism is particularly off-base because a big part of the reason Tavis is filling in with a Lookouts story right now is that Mike has been seriously ill. Bitching because a guy takes a break from producing entertainment for you that you pay nothing for because he's been sick is a pretty shitty way to behave.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Ah, apparently that Cryptozoic series was just 6 issues. I thought it had been ongoing.

• Options

Ah, apparently that Cryptozoic series was just 6 issues. I thought it had been ongoing.

I actually forgot about the Cryptozoic series. Would be interested to know if it firms up any of the details about the setting but I am guessing it doesn't very much just because nobody ever pops up to say "In the Cryptozoic comics..." when we're confused about stuff here.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I think it was supposed to be ongoing, but it was cancelled after 6. In 6 issues very little happened. I think the biggest reveal is one of the Lookouts was a girl. I don't think it even finished the story it was setting up. It unfortunately did very little with the setting. I wonder if it's even considered canon.

• Options

Look dude, I have my own problems with the way the Lookouts stories are executed, but ultimately this site is entertainment Mike and Jerry provide for free. They are going to make comics about what they want, whether that's video game joke-a-day or Lookouts or Automata or whatever, and if you don't like it you're free to take all the money you're not spending elsewhere.

In this case your criticism is particularly off-base because a big part of the reason Tavis is filling in with a Lookouts story right now is that Mike has been seriously ill. Bitching because a guy takes a break from producing entertainment for you that you pay nothing for because he's been sick is a pretty shitty way to behave.

Sorry, but your argument that "this content is free" yet it somehow can't be subject to criticism is really weak. Automata and Lookout have been around for a long time, and Gabe continues to evolve as an artist, but in terms of story it's as if they've regressed to a point that they cannot even grasp the concept of beginning, middle, and end. It's just a shame because the worlds they created are pretty cool, but the execution is horrendously lacking.

• Options
    K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be ongoing, but it was cancelled after 6. In 6 issues very little happened.
    This does not surprise me.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular

Sorry, but your argument that "this content is free" yet it somehow can't be subject to criticism is really weak. Automata and Lookout have been around for a long time, and Gabe continues to evolve as an artist, but in terms of story it's as if they've regressed to a point that they cannot even grasp the concept of beginning, middle, and end. It's just a shame because the worlds they created are pretty cool, but the execution is horrendously lacking.

I agree. It's the same argument structure used to defend other media / productive work: "This food is not flavored." "Well, why don't YOU become a master cook?" Even the 'free' part is wonky - I could argue I have invested time (I think time investment is also valuable) reading the comics even from a money making perspective the creator are supported: ads on the site / ads on their YouTube channel. I think the criticism from Godfella was a bit ham fisted in the first post and hit some nerve, but was well explained in further posts.

My feeling is that the creators (Jerry and Mike) are hanging between two extremes (not counting attending and organizing events like PAX, or creating merchandise and videos) - The Gag every two days comic strip and their dream projects. What I want to see is that they invest more time in the later. While PA is based on current events and has to be created spot on, the later can be preproduced and fleshed out over a loong time span. Then they could use PA as launch platform for something which has a foundation. Currently it feels I only get some insight in these fantastic words through broken glass pieces.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Criticism goes both ways. Anyone who extols their right to be unpleasant and demanding in their criticism is on shaky ground when they complain about their own viewpoint being critiqued.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I've always seen the "story" comics as just a glimpse into other worlds. They don't give me many details, but things are open enough that I can make up my own head canon and that's always been good enough for me. I feel like I have a fairly solid view of the larger Lookouts world just from the few stories they've done over the years. Is it inaccurate to what Mike and Jerry have in mind? Probably, but until they clarify things, I'll stick with what's in my head. ;) If they do clarify, I'll easily replace my own head canon with the truth.

Would I read an ongoing Lookouts webcomic? Sure. Would I want PA to do storylines that take a couple months to resolve so we can get "more story?" No, because I too like the Gabe/Tycho comics and would miss them if they went away for months at a time...unless the story that replaced them was really good.

I figure Mike and Jerry don't owe us a non-stop stream of a certain kind of comic. And I don't say that because it's free entertainment. I just say it because it's their project and their site and they can do what they want and know that it's likely that at least 50% of us will be satisfied with whatever they come up with. Comics like this give them a chance to write/draw things other than yet another Gabe/Tycho talk about a video game comic. They have their fun for a week or two and then they go back to business as usual.

If you miss Gabe and Tycho that much, do what I do and hit the "random" button a few times and read some of the classics.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I don't mean that they have to provide an ongoing Lookout series for free. I would even prefer if it were something like a fully realized graphic novel I could buy, with spinoffs and teasers sprinkled in PA.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I like these segues. Segoos. Segways. That Nightlight story they did a few months back is probably the best thing they've ever done.

Did people used to hate the CTS strips too, or do they fall under the 'classic category now? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    i always hated them

they reminded me of adam savage in a trenchcoat and fedora

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    I'm typically a big fan of any of the Lookouts comics, but this series is not doing it for me.

It's pretty sparse in terms of the poem/story aspect. And the art is really not working for me. I really wish Jerry and Mike would helm the Lookouts stuff versus constantly farming it out to others.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I've always liked these comics.
    I like stories that don't try to adhere to expected categories.

I really like the little details in them.
    The kid skins on the ground in the last comic were a great touch.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Fucking Dark Souls.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    foodle wrote: »
    I'm typically a big fan of any of the Lookouts comics, but this series is not doing it for me.

It's pretty sparse in terms of the poem/story aspect. And the art is really not working for me. I really wish Jerry and Mike would helm the Lookouts stuff versus constantly farming it out to others.

As has been mentioned, both in news posts and here in this thread, the reason this was "farmed" was because Mike was violently ill and unable to create for a period. He's on the mend and the last one of these is tomorrow and then, if he's feeling up to it, Mike will be back working and everyone can complain about that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The biggest thing the Cryptozoic comics dropped was that the Scout Master and the Village Elders were at odds over some kind of pact or tradition, where it was heavily implied that at least some of the Lookouts are actively expected to die as some kind of offering or bargain with the forest to let the rest of the village live.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    briguy wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be ongoing, but it was cancelled after 6. In 6 issues very little happened. I think the biggest reveal is one of the Lookouts was a girl. I don't think it even finished the story it was setting up. It unfortunately did very little with the setting. I wonder if it's even considered canon.

That girl
    is a nascent Daughter. Her parents are terrified of letting her go into the Forest to be what she is, so when the flowers appeared, they cut them off - but they kept growing back. A Forest crone showed up to try to take the girl, but they drove her off. They then made an arrangement with the Lookout troop leader (who might be an uncle or something; I forget) to hide her. It's obvious that this arrangement can't last forever.

In the Cryptozoic comics, the girl's latent connection to the Forest allows her to subdue the monster, which shows that her Daughter abilities are very much present and developing - and she doesn't have her older Sisters to guide her through the process. Given what we've seen of this world so far, it's a good bet that that will be very dangerous, both for her and for everyone around her.

The "reveal" you're talking about showed that the flowers in her hair are back, and they're blooming.

Calica on