As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

November 13th terror attacks in [Paris]

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    local mobile phone nets are down.

jesus this must be scary as fuck.

Do you have quote for this? I got a good study friend that I had contact with about 30 minutes ago and haven't been able to reach him afterwards.

Germany's tv channel ARD said it about 6 minutes ago. nothing linkable, sorry.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    This is going to be the largest push towards the right wing parties in Europe - at this point I'm having a hard time blaming people flocking to them.

Except those right wing parties aren't exactly blameless in all this.

How do you come to that conclusion?

The scapegoating, the stereotyping, the pushes to use the law to other people of other religions?

The right wing in Europe has been priming the powder keg.

Fuck. that. This is (probably) wahabi extremists that thinks it's perfectly fine targeting civilians because the western world tries to stop them from beheading people.

And honestly, religion is the primary culprit in this - the right wing parties aren't forcing anyones hands in these kinds of attacks. It's being goddamn apologetic of the people perpetrating these attacks.

No; they target civilians in the west because one of their goals is to prove the incompatibility between the west & the Persian Gulf. They want to drive the xenophobia.

I don't agree with @AngelHedgie 's assertion that it's reasonable to blame the behavior of the attackers on right wing idiocy, but said attackers are certainly leveraging xenophobic attitudes espoused by right wing populism to further their own goals. Moreover, the idea that hyper-militarization & imperialism somehow creates a safety barrier against this sort of behavior is demonstrably false.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    There are some pretty scary videos showing up on Twitter. gunfights, wounded triage areas... this is messed up.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Do you have quote for this? I got a good study friend that I had contact with about 30 minutes ago and haven't been able to reach him afterwards.

If it provides you any piece of mind:

Cell networks jamming up is not unheard of if everyone jumps on them at once. Everyone who knows anyone in Paris probably trying to call them.

Happens after hurricanes around here all the time. Tower goes back online (or landlines, even), everyone gets on the phone and kills it.

It is also not unlikely that, in such times as this, they may cut off access to non-emergency personnel to prevent this.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    If anyone reading is or knows of someone who is outside in Paris who is seeking shelter, #PorteOuverte is trending with people to remedy that situation.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Yup, closing the borders. Ugh.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's a French news source reporting in English.
    http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    France has closed all borders.

Edit: source - President Hollande's remarks

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

If it provides you any piece of mind:

Cell networks jamming up is not unheard of if everyone jumps on them at once. Everyone who knows anyone in Paris probably trying to call them.

Happens after hurricanes around here all the time. Tower goes back online (or landlines, even), everyone gets on the phone and kills it.

It is also not unlikely that, in such times as this, they may cut off access to non-emergency personnel to prevent this.

Germany's tv channel ARD said it about 6 minutes ago. nothing linkable, sorry.

Made contact. He's at his hotel.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ugh.

This is not good. And the fallout of this will not be good.

Goddamit people suck

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ...Perhaps worth noting that this is also only a few days after ISIL took credit for taking down a Russian airliner (though it's not quite yet confirmed that the plane was brought down via bomb).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/live/vwwnkuplwr9y

Incase wasn't posted yet, good source of up-to-date news.

So sad, so angry. Fuck these people. I hope there is a hell for them to go to.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The Ender wrote: »
    I don't agree with AngelHedgie 's assertion that it's reasonable to blame the behavior of the attackers on right wing idiocy, but said attackers are certainly leveraging xenophobic attitudes espoused by right wing populism to further their own goals. Moreover, the idea that hyper-militarization & imperialism somehow creates a safety barrier against this sort of behavior is demonstrably false.

The xenophobic right wing and the militant terrorists have always relied on using each other as poster boys for why they need to do what they're doing.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There is an active hostage situation. I can't imagine how terrified those people must be. This is horrible all on its own. Can we hold off on talking politics until after there aren't 100 people's lives in jeopardy?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    This is going to be the largest push towards the right wing parties in Europe - at this point I'm having a hard time blaming people flocking to them.

Except those right wing parties aren't exactly blameless in all this.

How do you come to that conclusion?

The scapegoating, the stereotyping, the pushes to use the law to other people of other religions?

The right wing in Europe has been priming the powder keg.

Fuck. that. This is (probably) wahabi extremists that thinks it's perfectly fine targeting civilians because the western world tries to stop them from beheading people.

And honestly, religion is the primary culprit in this - the right wing parties aren't forcing anyones hands in these kinds of attacks. It's being goddamn apologetic of the people perpetrating these attacks.

I believe 100% in the rights of people to exercise their religion. I believe that people of different religions and cultures are being mistreated in many places across the world, including France, and I believe that noone is inherantly good or bad based solely on their religion and culture.

But I just don't know what to say any more about this. I can't exactly blame people for abandoning inclusivity and multiculturalism after this sort of attack. It's NOT the fault of everyone who might be similar to the attackers, but I don't have any good ideas for how to make it stop.

Yes, improving society and the social safety net might help, but any sort of activities like that will have a massive lag time between being enacted and results. People who are willing to kill innocents aren't going to wait 5 years to see how your increased funding to urban schools helps with urban poverty.

I'm stuck just hoping it's not who we all dread that it is, for the worst possible reasons.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    France has closed all borders.

Edit: source - President Hollande's remarks

BBC just confirmed this. State of emergency and borders are closed.

This is just so, so awful.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Ugh.

Goddamit people suck

If the fallout is anything like what I'm seeing on social media now, I'm getting off Facebook. This just came across my Facebook feed.

Yes, that's my reply, so I don't care if my face is posted here.

mlj4re1782zo.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    There is an active hostage situation. I can't imagine how terrified those people must be. This is horrible all on its own. Can we hold off on talking politics until after there aren't 100 people's lives in jeopardy?

Eyewitness reports from people who escaped the theatre is that they were executing the hostages (kinda not surprisingly, these aren't the "I want a bus and a suitcase of money" hostage takers).

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Eyewitness reports from people who escaped the theatre is that they were executing the hostages (kinda not surprisingly, these aren't the "I want a bus and a suitcase of money" hostage takers).

This is so horrible. There isn't really anything else that can be said.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Listening to a french reporter on MSNBC, saying that their are reports that the gunmen at the concert are killing hostages one by one. :(

• Options
    CNN: Hostages texting that they are being killed 1-by-1. Begging for police raid.

I don't even. Like. Fuck.

• Options
    Police are now confirming that the bombing was a suicide attack.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

:(

That must be the most unbelievably terrifying thing to go through. How awful.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I guess the only hope is for law enforcement or the military to ntervene and save some people at least, but they may have the building rigged to blow up so saving anyone may be impossible. So terrible.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ugh.

Goddamit people suck

If the fallout is anything like what I'm seeing on social media now, I'm getting off Facebook. This just came across my Facebook feed.

mlj4re1782zo.jpg

France gives out free guns?

Also, you need better friends.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The concert was Eagles of Death Metal, and there hasn't been an update on their page.

Which is obviously not good, but with the panic and downed cell networks not exactly unheard of.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Ugh.

Goddamit people suck

mlj4re1782zo.jpg

France gives out free guns?

Also, you need better friends.

It was a person in a group I'm in.

Yeah, there's more of the same coming out all over Facebook. I'm shutting it off and staying here.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I guess the only hope is for law enforcement or the military to ntervene and save some people at least, but they may have the building rigged to blow up so saving anyone may be impossible. So terrible.

Rigging a building seems like it would be complex. Obviously law enforcement needs to be careful but it will be tragic if no attempt is made to save the hostages.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    CNN: Hostages texting that they are being killed 1-by-1. Begging for police raid.

Jesus. The French have the best anti-terror police/military force on the planet, so here's hoping they get there soon.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The concert was Eagles of Death Metal, and there hasn't been an update on their page.

Which is obviously not good, but with the panic and downed cell networks not exactly unheard of.

Gawker had an update from one of their member's mothers. She got a call, band is fine, crew they're not sure.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There are reports that this may be in retaliation for the US drone strike on Mohammed "Jihadi John" Emwazi.

If that is the case, the ramifications are utterly chilling.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I live less then 30 km from the border to france in Germany. This whole thing is just shit, shit shit.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Death count at "at least 40".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There are reports that this may be in retaliation for the US drone strike on Mohammed "Jihadi John" Emwazi.

Smacks of bullshit. Planning attacks this widespread and organized in 24 hours? Seems unlikely.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    This sounds like something that had been planned for a while. Very coordinated attacks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Rigging a building seems like it would be complex. Obviously law enforcement needs to be careful but it will be tragic if no attempt is made to save the hostages.

It has been said this was sophisticated attack. I don't know how "sophisticated" it would need to be for that to be a concern, but it's a scary possibility I hadn't considered.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    The hostage killing in the Bataclan theater has only been reported by CNN (so far ?), and by no French media outlet that I can find. Let's just hope that it isn't actually happening

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

this whole seems way too planned out to be such a quick reaction, doesn't it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg