As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] You can safely store junk in your settlement. Tips for the OP? @ me!

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Are there more homes than the one in Diamond City? Or more specifically, a cheaper home? Need a place to securely store my shiz, but I'm still scratching for caps.

Also, has there been confirmation yet on how ammo works with settlers (not companions)? I want to give them something better than their shitty default pistols, but I'm tight enough on ammo as it is. Heard rumours of one piece of ammo in their inventory being enough?

Give them a gun and one bullet, and they get infinite.

It's easy to verify with a minigun.

Raiders gonna get turbofucked very soon.

Erin The RedArthilElldrenXavier1216RedTideUnlucky
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I predict settlers with miniguns would cause more problems then they solve.

God it'd be like an entire city of Ians.

Dracomicron
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Realized I had like 800 .50 rounds on me, so my .308 sniper rifle got mothballed and I broke out the .50 cal rifle instead.

Though I mostly find myself using the .45 combat rifle with a reflex sight. I might take one or two potshots from extreme range if I see an opportunity, but usually I just sneak in and start popping heads with the combat rifle.

I also found a silenced 10mm pistol that I need to use more.

I started with the intention of being energy weapons guy, but that .45 combat rifle is just so strong. And now everyone is dropping .45 rounds. I've got over 2 thousand of them.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    M-Vickers
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So is there a reward for clearing Andrews Station? Grabbed the note from the bounty board in Diamond City, but once I cleared it, the quest went away and there doesn't seem to be anyone to talk to about it.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Are there more homes than the one in Diamond City? Or more specifically, a cheaper home? Need a place to securely store my shiz, but I'm still scratching for caps.

Also, has there been confirmation yet on how ammo works with settlers (not companions)? I want to give them something better than their shitty default pistols, but I'm tight enough on ammo as it is. Heard rumours of one piece of ammo in their inventory being enough?

Give them a gun and one bullet, and they get infinite.

It's easy to verify with a minigun.
    Holy crap.

Yes.

Time to start handing out all those legendaries I'm not using.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    jdarksunErin The RedBionicPenguinBobbleNightDragonChiselphane
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ive had piper with a minigun for ages, its v fun

obF2Wuw.png
    can you buy power armor bits?

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Ah. Thats how that works. Was wondering why equipped weapons weren't sticking.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Combat armor, vault suits, and gauss rifles for everyone!

Yes Buttcleft, but its kind of rare.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Someone said that there is a guy who wants tools in Vault 81 and will pay top dollar for them.

What counts as "tools?" For now I am saving wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, and stuff like brooms and scissors and plungers because hey what do I know.

I've also heard that guy tends to disappear from the world for like everyone.

Also what other odd items might I need to save? List time we talked about this people mentioned overdue books.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Every vendor or should I keep a lookout somewhere specific?

Also thanks

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm playing on PC and I can't get Disco balls and strobe lights to work.

They have power, because the icon is blue in the workshop interface. I can see the disco balls spinning but there are no lights being emitted from either.

What the what?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

What?? I gave Piper a heavily modified 10mm pistol and ~100 rounds of ammo. She burned through that in no time and went back to her vanilla 10mm.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    MvrckTurambarMegaMekBionicPenguinBobbleOlivawjoshofalltradesUnlucky
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So is there a reward for clearing Andrews Station? Grabbed the note from the bounty board in Diamond City, but once I cleared it, the quest went away and there doesn't seem to be anyone to talk to about it.

The bounty board is Skyrim's Innkeep rumors.

I think it's just kind of an instant mini quest, you get an XP for finishing and done.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Switched back over to the PC for 60FPS playthrough. Other than some of the faces and the animation, I really can't see ho anyone can say this is an ugly game. Especially in daytime I am gob smacked by the modeling, and design that they put into this effort. I feel the same way about the next Elder Scrolls that I did about "the next Fallout" when playing Skyrim, i.e. - "If this looks THIS good, what the hell will the next game look like."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dug deeper into the main storyline, and did some side quests for the Brotherhood of Steel. I find myself getting more appreciative of the setting as things progress past the baby hand holding that is Garvey's prologue chapter. Had some very cool battles against super mutants, synths and mobsters. I also met some of the cooler party members like Piper, Nick and Danse.

Basically, I would encourage most people to do a bit of exploring for leveling purposes, and then go to Diamond city to at least move the story to a point where branching out and doing your own thing, "makes sense". The world is much more detailed and filled with interesting things the further away you get from Sanctuary.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Also thanks

As a mild-ish spoiler:
    The BOS quartermaster guy sells a fair number of parts.
    Otherwise, switch to apparel and look for T-45, T-51, T-60 (maybe others) at vendors. Not sure if there are any specially named ones. I've also started my suit collection. I am up to 6. Not counting ones I could have stolen and run off with.

The game seems to have some substantial trouble with global asset management. I'll save, get murdered by a mine then reload and the mine will be gone. That's not too much of a problem (other than missing out on disarming the mine), but it has also happened with some quest-specific props/things. Mildish faction spoilers:
    One of the BOS quests has you getting in a vertibird to attack a fort. That worked out until I got shot down. Then I reloaded and went back to the vertibird and it spontaneously took off and I couldn't get in it. Used tcl to clip up to it and I still couldn't get in.

Had to quit to main menu and reload before it would let me continue properly.

Also, the combat rifle is ridiculous. I have a bunch of .45 from people dropping submachine gun ammo. The tommy gun does like 17 damage. The combat rifle does 85 with that same ammo. I wonder if it automatically factors my perks into that ammo calculation or if the trend is really that dramatic. The base double-barrel to combat shotgun was not nearly as dramatic.

I also don't usually go big guns, but if I get an HE minigun that will change. I also wonder if the explosives perk affects HE damage. Because my double-barrel makes a huge explosion when it hits the water.

What?? I gave Piper a heavily modified 10mm pistol and ~100 rounds of ammo. She burned through that in no time and went back to her vanilla 10mm.

Yeah, my reading has been that settlers and companions use wildly different systems. Settlers use the 1-bullet system, whereas companions use ammo as normal for anything that isn't their unique weapon.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I guess I should head to Diamond City to pick up the main story, I suspect I've already thoroughly looted some places the story will send me to.

jdarksunmanwiththemachinegunPreacher
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »

I just realized you can put followers in power armor... just now...

At level 30...

Welp.

btw, I found a particularly cool set of power armor and have questions:
    The X-01 Power armor. Is there lore in the game somewhere about this suit???

It's heavily implied it's the official designation of Enclave power armor. The Enclave is the corrupt remnants of the U.S. government which survived the Great War.

jdarksunPLAUnlucky
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    How do you skip ahead in conversations? I've seen people mentioning doing it, but no buttons seem to work.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    How do you skip ahead in conversations? I've seen people mentioning doing it, but no buttons seem to work.

Square or X.

Erin The Red
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Also thanks

As a mild-ish spoiler:
    Otherwise, switch to apparel and look for T-45, T-51, T-60 (maybe others) at vendors. Not sure if there are any specially named ones. I've also started my suit collection. I am up to 6. Not counting ones I could have stolen and run off with.

The game seems to have some substantial trouble with global asset management. I'll save, get murdered by a mine then reload and the mine will be gone. That's not too much of a problem (other than missing out on disarming the mine), but it has also happened with some quest-specific props/things. Mildish faction spoilers:
    One of the BOS quests has you getting in a vertibird to attack a fort. That worked out until I got shot down. Then I reloaded and went back to the vertibird and it spontaneously took off and I couldn't get in it. Used tcl to clip up to it and I still couldn't get in.

Also, the combat rifle is ridiculous. I have a bunch of .45 from people dropping submachine gun ammo. The tommy gun does like 17 damage. The combat rifle does 85 with that same ammo. I wonder if it automatically factors my perks into that ammo calculation or if the trend is really that dramatic. The base double-barrel to combat shotgun was not nearly as dramatic.

I also don't usually go big guns, but if I get an HE minigun that will change. I also wonder if the explosives perk affects HE damage. Because my double-barrel makes a huge explosion when it hits the water.

Perks (and your current buffs) are factored into the displayed damage of a weapon

jdarksunErin The RedDemonStacey
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Also thanks

As a mild-ish spoiler:

Weapon type can factor heavily into weapon damage. There's a conversion for the pipe revolver to make them use .38 which will do more damage than the normally .38 pipe guns.

Likewise the alien blaster has a Science! 4 mod that has it use fusion cells that still involve it doing far more damage than a laser will (though that makes more sense).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    ED! wrote: »

Square or X.

And leftclick on PC.

Unlucky
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Square or X.

And leftclick on PC.

I totally haven't accidentally shot people in the face trying to skip their dialogue. Not at all.

Pixelated PixiejdarksunErin The RedCommander ZoomBobbleOlivawminirhyderUnluckyXeddicusNightDragon
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I progressed really far into my first character but decided to restart in order to play a more coherent character that made use of companions.

Companion Spoiler:
    My goal is to team up with Hancock and just roam around high on Psycho punching Super Mutants in their dumb faces.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Square or X.

And leftclick on PC.

I totally haven't accidentally shot people in the face trying to skip their dialogue. Not at all.

To be fair, that technically does end a conversation.

5gsowHm.png
    Erin The Redminor incidentBRIAN BLESSEDCommander ZoomElkiBobbleEl MuchoOlivawjoshofalltradesminirhyderXavier1216UnluckyDedwrekkaNightDragon
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

yeah i hacked 20k 5mm ammo and gave it to her because it was hilarious

obF2Wuw.png
    jdarksunEtchwartsTransporterUnlucky
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    My game just freaked the eff out. Something wierd happend to its renderer. Blue textureless objects, effects artifacting, the works. Then it suddenly ran smoother. Like a lot smoother. Felt like 60 FPS to me. Like a whole bunch of shitty post processing effects got turned the fuck off, and now the game runs smooth as butter.

If only they had optimized the game for both 30 FPS and 60 FPS, like Naughty Dog did for The Last of Us remake. I'd prefer the game with less of its modern effects bells and whistles, because it'd look cleaner and run smoother. Oh well. I turned the console off for now. Might be playing this a bit too hard right now, I guess what that event was saying to me.

BranniganSepp on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The game seems to have some substantial trouble with global asset management. I'll save, get murdered by a mine then reload and the mine will be gone. That's not too much of a problem (other than missing out on disarming the mine), but it has also happened with some quest-specific props/things.

Yeah, if you save and set off some mines and load, they will always be gone. If you really wanted to disarm the mine, you can load an old save in some other location and then reload your recent save and it will be back.

I used to do this all the time in Fallout 3, where I'd load a save and no dead enemies would have their weapons anymore for looting for some reason! Load far away, reload, and they're all back.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Joolander
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm getting tired of failing assistance missions to colonies since the win flag never tics. I hope "failing" doesn't hurt me too much.

Edit: NINE PEOPLE DIED? I fucking cleared everything, goddammit!

Magus` on
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of failing assistance missions to colonies since the win flag never tics. I hope "failing" doesn't hurt me too much.

Just build a lot of turrets.

Settlements with a high defense don't get attacked

jdarksunErin The RedMoridin889Mvrck
  • Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    Dear thread,
    Can someone help me come up with a PC to buy that costs around $700 that can run Fallout 4 reasonably well? PM would probably be best. Thanks!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Aww..thats no fun.

The whole reason I build the turrets is to see someone get shredded by them.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Al_watvegeta_666
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Also - my save is definitely broken. My character is stuck with permanent 95% VATS headshot probability, at all ranges with all guns? Jup. Totally breaks the game for me. Like the whole progression factor? Kinda pointless now.

I guess I'll just roleplay it. Like my character is a mutant gun fu gunslinger. Just suddenly the universe made sense. His hands are made for holding guns. His destiny is to shoot all the heads. He's like jedi mindtricked himself into never missing another headshot again. Mediclorians! My gun-toting hands are the hands of their Chosen One.

Jup, I guess I'll beeline this thing, before this bug sucks all the enjoyment out of the game, and queue up my next playthrough with a melee centric brute for sometime in 2016, when hopefully many more bugs have been squashed.

P.S. My predicament started sometime after I got Mc Cready's affinity perk (+20% headshot chance in VATS). Don't know if it's bugged for everyone, or if it's just a special little snowflake bug just for me. Be forewarned.

BranniganSepp on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Sure, but doesn't help me right now, I think? For some reason the game thinks the place still needs saving even though everyone is saying thanks for killing the synths. Man, what?

Magus` on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've got a companion question under the spoiler.
    Is there a quest associated with Paladin Danse's perk? I've had a couple of long conversations with him, but no perk has dropped. And he's not really giving me any on-screen indicators of his approval, but like I said, he keeps talking to me and praising me. It hasn't happened in a while, though, so I'm not sure if I bugged it or what. Is there a point in the main story I have to get to first?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited November 2015
    Demi Gourd wrote: »
    Dear thread,
    Can someone help me come up with a PC to buy that costs around $700 that can run Fallout 4 reasonably well? PM would probably be best. Thanks!

I have a Core i3 3.3 (147), 8GB (40) of ram and a EVGA Nvidia 760 (300?). Fallout 4 defaulted to all High settings. I turned off Godrays, and lowered down to medium shadows. Increased textures and decals to Ultra. 60FPS with some slight dips into mid 50's.
    Head's up. Killshot perk is officially bugged. Gamebreaking, depending on your preferences. Don't underestimate the corrosive effect of this bug.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Killshot

Might want to just mention the bug; that page has what I assume to be a nice easter egg (if you've played FO3).

ED! on
    Head's up. Killshot perk is officially bugged. Gamebreaking, depending on your preferences. Don't underestimate the corrosive effect of this bug.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Killshot

This discussion has been closed.