As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] You can safely store junk in your settlement. Tips for the OP? @ me!

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »

One bomb couldn't wipe out all of NYC, or even all of Manhatten. Not even the Tsar Bomba, with it's 100 MT yield, could do that (and the Tsar Bomba was too heavy to fit into an ICBM in any case).

@The Ender

Castle Bravo, the largest weapon the US ever tested at 15 mt, detonated in an Airburst above Times Square would generate 5 psi overpressure to Yonkers in the north, Jamacia in the east, Newark in the west, and Shepards Bay in the South. This would flatten most residential buildings in a total area of about 929 square miles[granted some of this is water]. Every single building in Manhattan would be flattened.

It would produce third degree burns to Morristown in the east, Hicksville in the west, Middleton in the south, and Spring Valley in the north. If you've never heard of these places its because they're way the fuck away from New York, or you're thinking the Middleton in the Bronx whereas i am talking about Middleton in New Jersey[Ok, you will see hicksville as a stop on the Long Island train]

Now, granted, we don't actually take out Staten Island completely with this blast, but we make up for it with Newark, Jersey City, and Hackensak. Its not practical; its much easier to simply blanket the area in smaller weapons. But on the other hand we don't actually plan on using those kinds of weapons anymore. Its not practical, its easier to just more smaller nukes.

A Minuteman 1 holds 3 1mt warheads and would flatten Manhattan and Brooklyn with a warhead left over to hit Staten Island or the Bronx. We have 450 of these in our arsenal now [so call it 1350 1mt warheads]. In the fallout world this would have been small potatoes. Because in the fallout world proliferation continued unabated, we were living in the 2077 world of the 1950's.

So lets say that they did drop a full sized Tsar Bomba equivalent in an Air Burst. Detonated at an altitude of 14.7km over times square, the entirety of the south end of Manhattan would be within the fireball; from Garvey Park to Wall Street. The 5 Psi range would be from Livingston (west), Irvingston(north), Westbury(east), and Fort Hancock(south). The only piece of New York that survives the 5 Psi range is Tottenham, and then only because Times Square is not the center of NYC.

If you want to go see just how amazingly fucking huge the blasts made by nuclear weapons are, go and look. Airbursts generate more physical damage. Ground bursts generate fallout.(Basically there isn't anything to irradiate if you detonate in the air and by the time what does get irradiated does come back down its mainly harmless/spread out too much to matter... at least for a single blast)

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Wow, I was not even a little correct. Spooky bombs.

Why did we even make this shit!?

Al_wat3cl1ps3
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

One bomb couldn't wipe out all of NYC, or even all of Manhatten. Not even the Tsar Bomba, with it's 100 MT yield, could do that (and the Tsar Bomba was too heavy to fit into an ICBM in any case).

@The Ender

Castle Bravo, the largest weapon the US ever tested at 15 mt, detonated in an Airburst above Times Square would generate 5 psi overpressure to Yonkers in the north, Jamacia in the east, Newark in the west, and Shepards Bay in the South. This would flatten most residential buildings in a total area of about 929 square miles[granted some of this is water]. Every single building in Manhattan would be flattened.

It would produce third degree burns to Morristown in the east, Hicksville in the west, Middleton in the south, and Spring Valley in the north. If you've never heard of these places its because they're way the fuck away from New York, or you're thinking the Middleton in the Bronx whereas i am talking about Middleton in New Jersey[Ok, you will see hicksville as a stop on the Long Island train]

Now, granted, we don't actually take out Staten Island completely with this blast, but we make up for it with Newark, Jersey City, and Hackensak. Its not practical; its much easier to simply blanket the area in smaller weapons. But on the other hand we don't actually plan on using those kinds of weapons anymore. Its not practical, its easier to just more smaller nukes.

A Minuteman 1 holds 3 1mt warheads and would flatten Manhattan and Brooklyn with a warhead left over to hit Staten Island or the Bronx. We have 450 of these in our arsenal now [so call it 1350 1mt warheads]. In the fallout world this would have been small potatoes. Because in the fallout world proliferation continued unabated, we were living in the 2077 world of the 1950's.

So lets say that they did drop a full sized Tsar Bomba equivalent in an Air Burst. Detonated at an altitude of 14.7km over times square, the entirety of the south end of Manhattan would be within the fireball; from Garvey Park to Wall Street. The 5 Psi range would be from Livingston (west), Irvingston(north), Westbury(east), and Fort Hancock(south). The only piece of New York that survives the 5 Psi range is Tottenham, and then only because Times Square is not the center of NYC.

If you want to go see just how amazingly fucking huge the blasts made by nuclear weapons are, go and look. Airbursts generate more physical damage. Ground bursts generate fallout.(Basically there isn't anything to irradiate if you detonate in the air and by the time what does get irradiated does come back down its mainly harmless/spread out too much to matter... at least for a single blast)

To stuff in our metaphorical codpiece and declare ours to be bigger.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also first side quest post fort hagan in the main quest... trying to be vague spoilers.

Probably wasn't my smartest idea to give the brotherhood nuclear weaponry, but but the super mutants!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

@The Ender

War. War never changes.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I live near Spring Valley. Looks like it's ghoul-time for me if the bomb goes off.

For context, NYC is about 35 minutes away on the parkway. That's a huge blast radius.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

@The Ender

War. War never changes.

Whats even scarier is if you detonated something like the tsar bomba underwater just offshore if would create a tsunami ~1500 ft tall that could reach up to and kill all living things up ~900 miles inland.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know most people were immediately sent to Corvega by Preston, but I wasn't, and I just ignored the place for 120+ hours.

I finally found this weird note in the middle of nowhere:

49Loxxk.png?1

This gave me a misc objective to "recover the 10mm pistol at the Corvega Assembly Plant," and was my official breadcrumb to Corvega.

So I finally went there and cleared the place out, and holy crap it is huge, probably one of the biggest locations anywhere in the game, inside and out. At least it felt that way to me.

And I get to the end, and kill the leader, and loot his body, and the quest clears...I'm pretty sure this was all for a regular-ass 10mm pistol. Nothing special about it, not legendary or anything.

So yeah. What the hell man.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    MaddocEtchwartsGoodKingJayIIIMegaMekFencingsaxCobell
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Makes sense if you had gotten it at the right level. When pretty much everyone is using cobbled together pipe weaponry, a real 10mm machine forged pistol is a legendary. :)

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    so i decided to restart my game (7 or 8 days played, hadn't reached institute yet).
    And the first thing i discover after leaving Sanctuary, is that there is a mole hill filled with hazardous waste (and a congratulatory note for waste reduction) right beneath Red Rocket station.

Which i had completely failed to discover in my previous game.

I was looking for that damn thing based on the computer notes I found. Where the hell is the entrance?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You want to talk about things you can't believe you missed, did you find the root cellar in Sanctuary? Amazed I walked all over that town and didn't find it the first time.
    Up by the circle/cove there's a blue house. Behind it, CELLAR! Bunch of good stuff in it too.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    MorkathjdarksunDerrick
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Or, if we do keep playing games in desolate wastelands, maybe have the plot of the games explain why: it'd be kind of interesting if the major factions turned around and just nuked each other again, repeating the same cycle.

I think the plot of Fallout 2 was sort of this. The big bad of the game tried to Nuke the world again for some crazy reason and if you fail to stop him the human race would have been set back to far and never recover.

And come on people, Fallout Toronto. TO was one of the first places to get annexed by the US invasion of the great white north. One of the big towns would be Honest Ed's, CN tower would be the BoS HQ, and the nuked downtown core would be ruled by our Jet huffing super mutant mayor and his army of mutant league hockey players.

While I highly doubt it is anywhere close to canon, I'm pretty sure you Independence Day'd Toronto at the end of Zeta in Fallout 3.

That said, I'd love to see a location with winter. Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, something on the Great Lakes at any rate.

No one's entirely sure but the consensus is that the target was Algonquin National Park.

In the Pitt expansion Ronto does get mentioned so there's still some hope for at least a DLC setting.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    I live near Spring Valley. Looks like it's ghoul-time for me if the bomb goes off.

For context, NYC is about 35 minutes away on the parkway. That's a huge blast radius.

I'm in Brooklyn so I'm likely dead, but I feel like in the Fallout world, being a ghoul isn't so bad. The chance that you become feral is bad, not to mention all the racism, but it seems like ghouls are just scaly radiation-immunte humans for the most part.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

@The Ender

We'll probably the first hundred or thousand are for "good measure" deterrent threat. That is, with only a small number of small bombs it's conceivable that someone says "sure lets take that gamble". With a large number of bombs there is no conceivable calculus which makes war possible. Nuclear weapons probably prevented a war between the USSR and NATO (despite the many near misses)

For real though, it's the same reason we're building the ridiculously expensive f-35.

That being said the devastation we think of is probably higher than what you would see. Most likely the nations involved would ignore civilian centers in favor of smaller bombs targeting infrastructure. (In the 80s it was estimated that it would take about 100 500kt or smaller warheads to end the United States as a political entity). Because radiation from nuclear bombs isn't actualy all that threatening unless the bomb is dropped on the ground (and even then less than a reactor problem) the only highly irradiated places would be silos/bunkers that had to be busted and any unsafe reactors.

wbBv3fj.png
    m!ttens
    If you can't turn the rest of the world into radioactive glass, who is going to respect you?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    To be fair, nuclear weapons have probably drastically decreased the type of mass slaughters seen in World War I and II. Low intensity conflicts are the new norm, not total wars between major powers.

I'm in Brooklyn so I'm likely dead, but I feel like in the Fallout world, being a ghoul isn't so bad. The chance that you become feral is bad, not to mention all the racism, but it seems like ghouls are just scaly radiation-immunte humans for the most part.

I've never fully understood the Fallout universe's insistence that ghouls are somehow no longer human. People say it about ghouls, ghouls say it about themselves...what the heck? Functionally it's like any other extreme disease/disfigurement that even exist today. People with cancer are still human, people with elephantitis are still human. Why is a ghoul not human?

I get that they kind of want it to be like a fantasy universe type thing, with the elves and dwarves and ghouls and super mutants and all that, but they aren't a different race. They're unfortunate (fortunate?) humans who suffer from an affliction, that's all.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I've never fully understood the Fallout universe's insistence that ghouls are somehow no longer human. People say it about ghouls, ghouls say it about themselves...what the heck? Functionally it's like any other extreme disease/disfigurement that even exist today. People with cancer are still human, people with elephantitis are still human. Why is a ghoul not human?

I get that they kind of want it to be like a fantasy universe type thing, with the elves and dwarves and ghouls and super mutants and all that, but they aren't a different race. They're unfortunate (fortunate?) humans who suffer from an affliction, that's all.

They could well be another species, depending on levels of genetic divergence + what kind of offspring they produce when mated with humans (non-viable? viable but sterile? sterile males but fertile females? etc). They definitely fit the phenotypic species concept, and while the biological species concept has fallen pretty out of favor (because it isn't useful) I would suspect that the genetics + mating of ghouls/humans would place them as separate species.

Morkath
    edited November 2015

They have been changed at the genetic level to no longer suffer from radiation, and have VASTLY increased life spans. Some can grow plants out of their body and actually regenerate from radiation.
    They aren't human in the sense that they have been mutated into something else by the radiation, like super mutant's have been changed by the FEV.

e:
    I guess technically the plant was a FEV thing, not a ghoul thing.

Morkath on
    Glowing Sea was a lovely exploration, lovely.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    DanHibikiMegaMekToyDFencingsaxAshe
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I have done some building (spoilered for h-scroll)

Hangman's Alley:, a small favela I built in the middle of the city
    BAs4Ls1.jpg

Sheffield's, a bar I made at Sunshine Tidings Co-Op:
    M6COlfC.jpg

Fort Tenpines (formerly Tenpines Bluff):

front:
    yaHJ0PZ.jpg

side:
    b56L2Mz.jpg

interior courtyard:
    Ciade1S.jpg

jdarksunMegaMekdavidsdurionsToyDPLAcooljammer00Crippl3Commander Zoomknitdanenvoy1
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

@The Ender

We'll probably the first hundred or thousand are for "good measure" deterrent threat. That is, with only a small number of small bombs it's conceivable that someone says "sure lets take that gamble". With a large number of bombs there is no conceivable calculus which makes war possible. Nuclear weapons probably prevented a war between the USSR and NATO (despite the many near misses)

For real though, it's the same reason we're building the ridiculously expensive f-35.

That being said the devastation we think of is probably higher than what you would see. Most likely the nations involved would ignore civilian centers in favor of smaller bombs targeting infrastructure. (In the 80s it was estimated that it would take about 100 500kt or smaller warheads to end the United States as a political entity). Because radiation from nuclear bombs isn't actualy all that threatening unless the bomb is dropped on the ground (and even then less than a reactor problem) the only highly irradiated places would be silos/bunkers that had to be busted and any unsafe reactors.

History really doesn't support your idea that the nations would be really nice and ignore civilian centers. In both Hiroshima and Nagasaki the great majority of the dead were civilians and in many places military infrastructure is so tied into civilian centers it would be impossible to only target them.

And as for radiation there's a reason why everyone agreed in the 60s to only test nukes underground. There is a significant amount of radiation that gets released into the atmosphere whenever a nuclear weapon gets detonated and with enough bombs it is entirely possible for that radioactive fallout to poison the world.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Started this game up and got back to Cogsworth before stopping for the night. One thing taunted me though, that Cryolater gun in the Master locked case. This is why I build up Security skill.

@The Ender

History really doesn't support your idea that the nations would be really nice and ignore civilian centers. In both Hiroshima and Nagasaki the great majority of the dead were civilians and in many places military infrastructure is so tied into civilian centers it would be impossible to only target them.

And as for radiation there's a reason why everyone agreed in the 60s to only test nukes underground. There is a significant amount of radiation that gets released into the atmosphere whenever a nuclear weapon gets detonated and with enough bombs it is entirely possible for that radioactive fallout to poison the world.

History does; both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were targeted for their military production. Additionally the US military doctrine does, as well as the US military studies which examine the best way to destroy the United States with nuclear weapons. Granted, this was from memory of congressional/military studies from the 80's so things might have changed, but i don't particularly see a reason they would. You nuke heavy industry and military targets and the cities don't matter anymore.

wbBv3fj.png
    You can't really judge what our military would do versus what the fall out military would do. I mean in fallout the US took over Canada CANADA!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I hear this weird noise behind me when I'm crafting so I stop and turn around...

qrhJgcS.png?1

Piper what the hell are you doing.

MegaMek
    She was thirsty! You are constantly dragging her to every glowing hellhole in the wasteland, and when was the last time you offered her a drink or a meal!

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    You can't really judge what our military would do versus what the fall out military would do. I mean in fallout the US took over Canada CANADA!

True. Indeed that was my point, that the game is inaccurate but it doesn't matter. Either way, I can correct dumb incorrectness. And so will do so here about the fallout issue

@Renegade Wolf

Yes there were minor fallout concerns for the PTBT in terms of global increased cancer rates. But the royal we had detonated about 500 bombs atmospherically before that point with a total of 340 megatons being detonated in the 2 years before the treaty. And the concerns were minor compared to what we are talking about as "irradiated wasteland" because well, the amount of increased radiation just isn't even that much.

To give an example. At Chernobyl there were 245 tonnes of nuclear material present at the accident(about 1800 at Fukushima). Little Boy (Hiroshima) had a total weight of about 5 tonnes which was for 140 pounds [.07 tonnes] of nuclear material. The entire weight of Tsar Bomba, the largest weapon we ever set off was 30 tonnes[it was also exceptionally clean]. At the same ratio that is .42 tonnes of nuclear material.

So yes, there was a concern, but it wasn't a "poison the earth we're all going to die" concern. It was a ".5% of the population might develop a cancer they would have otherwise not" concern. Which is super bad, but not exactly the end of the world.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if noise from generators and/or turrets negatively affects settler happiness? I seem stuck around the 80 percent mark and I'm running out of ideas.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Derrick wrote: »
    Does anyone know if noise from generators and/or turrets negatively affects settler happiness? I seem stuck around the 80 percent mark and I'm running out of ideas.

It very well might. I built a wind farm because it annoyed me. Other things might be a lack of services. Or synth inflitrators.

wbBv3fj.png
    Morkath wrote: »
    She was thirsty! You are constantly dragging her to every glowing hellhole in the wasteland, and when was the last time you offered her a drink or a meal!

She's just cranking away, pumping water all over the ground!!

If they're going to let you pump water they really need to have a trough or bucket included too.

Morkath
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

She's just cranking away, pumping water all over the ground!!

If they're going to let you pump water they really need to have a trough or bucket included too.

Piper is a strong, independent, single woman, who runs her own business and is the sole guardian of her younger sister. She don't need no "Sole Survivor" telling her how and when to pump her own damn water!

hippofant on
    Dr. Chaos
    edited November 2015
    Someone should do a Fallout 4 12 Days of Christmas with 12 Gunners gunning and 11 Pipers piping.

EDIT: 9 ladies Danse-ing. RISpSQx.gif

UncleSporky on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I just did the quest with this guy named Pickman
    On one hand he is an incredibly disturbed man even if most of his victims are raiders.

On the other hand, I've probably killed 50 times the people he has by the time we've met.

Oh well, at least I got a cool knife.

jdarksun
    Someone should do a Fallout 4 12 Days of Christmas with 12 Gunners gunning and 11 Pipers piping.

And 6 Danse's Synthing!

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

And 6 Danse's Synthing!
    Five mirelurk kiiiiiings

5gsowHm.png
    PLA
    Syngyne wrote: »

And 6 Danse's Synthing!
    Five mirelurk kiiiiiings
    Four french robots.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Syngyne wrote: »

And 6 Danse's Synthing!
    Five mirelurk kiiiiiings

Four Vertiberds

Edit: Damn it!

never die on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    3 Fat Mans

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Two Glowing Ones

This discussion has been closed.