Options

East 2016 Hotel Partners

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    We are going to be hanging at the Marriott Copley Plaza, so no back and forth for us .. Would love to be closer but could not juggle getting passes and hotel at same time.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    We are going to be hanging at the Marriott Copley Plaza, so no back and forth for us .. Would love to be closer but could not juggle getting passes and hotel at same time.

Yeah, it's all luck. Last year I nabbed 2 3 day passes and a Westin room and I was on Cloud 9. Probably the first and last time I'll ever get both.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    I attended in 2014 and had same issue with hotels except I had the foresight to book a room at Seaport outside of the conference rate. More expensive but got where I wanted. This time going was a last minute thing so was not as prepared. The Marriott is on the subway route so it's all relative.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    The walk from the intercontinental isn't too bad, probably about 15 mins at a good pace, I couldn't handle it personally by the end of the weekend because of problems, but I ended up walking to south station and getting the t to the bcec, so that's also a suggestion. I stayed in 2014 when it was pretty warm so it was a nice walk, but I imagine not so much if its all snowed and iced up again.

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I remember that Abby, I got one ahead of time at the Seaport as well that year, and again for this year. For 2016 I booked in advance at the Element and if I didn't I'd be quite far out from the con as I'd have to have a friend assigned only to hotels as like you said once can only focus on tickets or hotels at once and both are a rat race. For those with the funds it is the only way to guarantee a close hotel, as every year I bomb out with the con rate hotels that are nearby after getting my passes. I enjoy long walks but I travel with a large party (10 of us this year!!) and they would prefer to be close by to be able to go back and rest or offload swag if needed during the day.

For the Intercontinental walk, it is fine if you are fit and have no health issues impacting walking that make the con itself challenging, about three quarters of a mile, the walking you will do inside the BCEC will far surpass your round trip walk to the hotel most likely. It's the hotels that are miles out that are the problem.

FYI Saturday AM for 2015, the line to get into the Con was almost to the Intercontinental, or maybe even past it! And it was doubled up so it was over a mile long. That was odd.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Karoneth wrote: »

FYI Saturday AM for 2015, the line to get into the Con was almost to the Intercontinental, or maybe even past it! And it was doubled up so it was over a mile long. That was odd.

Really? We went in pretty much no fuss, no muss. mind you, we might only have got in like 10:30AM (Remember, bag check slows things down a bit)

Still, anything is better than the year the tickets were pre-announced, booking-wise (For the 2014 event). The hotel site and all their booking computers get utterly annihilated (and I was moments away from a Renaissance booking). I ended up with the Revere, then snagging a room at the Downtown Hilton a bit later. But dear GOD was that a miserable booking experience.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Yes, 10:30 was no line at all, right at 10 was the incredible line.

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular

Really? We went in pretty much no fuss, no muss. mind you, we might only have got in like 10:30AM (Remember, bag check slows things down a bit)

Still, anything is better than the year the tickets were pre-announced, booking-wise (For the 2014 event). The hotel site and all their booking computers get utterly annihilated (and I was moments away from a Renaissance booking). I ended up with the Revere, then snagging a room at the Downtown Hilton a bit later. But dear GOD was that a miserable booking experience.

My group got there late on Friday so we literally walked right in. Saturday we got there super early because we had the FF14 panel we wanted to attend. It was on the second floor on the right side of the building. We looked out the window and the line was literally across the bridge and past that. It was insane.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I never had to really line up at all that I recall, but we were early risers so we got there for opening ...

aBByNormaL on
  • Options
    SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    I never had to really line up at all that I recall, but we were early risers so we got there for opening ...

We were there pretty early on each of the 3 days but Saturday, we made sure to be there VERY early. The security line was down the street and across the bridge. I was kind of blown away, but by that time we were in line for the FFXIV panel so I didn't really care

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    Man, hotels are scarce this year. I have never been able to book a hotel in the Westin, but usually we stay at the Park Plaza hotel. Wasn't even able to book that. I also usually book the hotel for Thu-Sun and had to settle on Fri-Sun at the Omni Parker.

• Options
    I still don't have anything booked yet :-| as we need 6 nights, I was just too annoyed and was already 3 hours late for work so I just left the hotels. I'm hoping something pops up..

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    Dragant, once the hotels are transferred from OnPeak to the hotel itself next April, you should call the Omni and see if a Thursday opened up and tack that on your reservation for the same rate, explaining that it was unavailable at original booking. A lot can change between now and then.
    Purple, hotels do seem very scarce even with the two new ones, almost like more folks are staying overnight, or fewer rooms are available. We need more hotels!

• Options
    I think they didn't book enough of the new ones, I can get rooms there off Expedia but it's like $3k for the stay as apposed to $1400 from on peak, it's ridiculous

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    It would be about exactly 3K after taxes for six nights for the largest suite at the Element. Maybe that is all that's left...checked, yeah $421 before taxes at Element is cheapest, BUT they DO have at least one room available, everyone take note as you can't get much closer to the BCEC than next door! The Aloft is completely sold out for that 6-day stay. I didn't check to see if they had rooms for individual days. So if you have ample funds there may still be rooms you can book at the individual hotel sites. Seaport also appears totally booked though for that period.

• Options
    tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    Anyone ever stayed at the Hyatt Regency before and could tell me what it's like?

• Options
    Anyone ever stayed at the Hyatt Regency before and could tell me what it's like?

I actually stayed there a year ago on a business trip I made to Boston. It was a wonderful stay. The hotel is rather beautiful and has a great view of the city from pretty much every side. I would stay there again if I had to travel back to Boston so I'd say you hit an enjoyable place. I can't say anything about the PAX conditions, but I quite liked it for my business stay.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Purple and anyone else looking for a room,
    Look at hotwire and priceline express deals for some deals. The lowest price for same areas as the partnered hotel seems to be around $150 in the Copley Square on hotwire but priceline has a hotel near the Boston Common for around $200 a night (I believe to be Boston Park Plaza Hotel but could be the DoubleTree). They are close enough to the partner hotel that you can grab the shuttle from one of the other hotels.

Also you may want to look at the South Boston-South End Area. The 2.5 star in South Boston is probably Holiday Inn Express and takes 30 minutes on the T to get to the con center or 10 by car for about $160 a night

tipsy,
    I stayed at the Regency two years ago for PAX. It was great place to stay. Close to some cheap and great food in china town and toward the Commons that are open late (Gene's Chinese Flatbread Cafe, Taiwan Cafe and Maria's Taqueria for example). CVS and 24-hour 7-11 is up the block. The bus shuttle went well but you can easily walk to the con center (about a mile away).

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    A bank of rooms just opened at the Boston Park Plaza!!! $178 a night...JUMP ON IT!

Now I can dump this patch work of reservations I have...releasing rooms at the Liberty and Langham.

ClannMorgan on
  • Options
    I just got a deal in my email for the SPG hotels which include Westin, Sheraton, W, Aloft, Element etc. They are having a 25% off sale good in the Boston area until September 6th next year. So if you give up getting a room at con rate but find one at normal rates you'd like, this makes it less of a sting, but still pricey.

http://www.americas.starwoodoffers.com/new-england?EM=EMAIL_BOSTONCVB_CYBMON15_EAST

• Options
    I just got a deal in my email for the SPG hotels which include Westin, Sheraton, W, Aloft, Element etc. They are having a 25% off sale good in the Boston area until September 6th next year. So if you give up getting a room at con rate but find one at normal rates you'd like, this makes it less of a sting, but still pricey.

http://www.americas.starwoodoffers.com/new-england?EM=EMAIL_BOSTONCVB_CYBMON15_EAST

Argh...all the con days are blacked out for the hotels in the area, Aloft, Element, Westin, etc., except for the 24th, which is a Sunday check in. This would have been great because SPG save an additional 5%.

• Options
    Unsurprising about the blackout. I'm just trying to keep an eye out for anything closer. I guess that's all we can do lol.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    Oh rats, I hadn't actually put the con dates in, it didn't mention a blackout. Apologies, looks like the hotel brands have caught on to PAX being a big deal. :(

• Options
    millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular

Very nice, up to date hotel. What you would expect from a flagship of a higher-end brand in the middle of a city. Zero complaints.

Never stayed there for PAX so I can't comment on PAX-atmosphere or shuttles. But I can say it's also only about 1mi total walking from the show, so a 20-30min walk if you are able-bodied. If the weather is bad, you're also ~1 block from the T.

Also, big thanks to ClannMorgan about the Park Plaza tip.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Solanales wrote: »
    Unsurprising about the blackout. I'm just trying to keep an eye out for anything closer. I guess that's all we can do lol.

Since most of the larger hotels are owned by a hand full of parent companies its not surprising that they would have black out dates across the line. I was just hoping there was a glimmer of hope to get a closer hotel.

What really stinks is that I live like 15 mi away from the con, but would prefer to pay to stay closer as the time wasted commuting, $$$$ parking and the convenience of being able to quickly pop back to the room for a mid afternoon nap is totally worth it. But not at the inflated prices they have listed now...they are like double the normal rates.

ClannMorgan on
  • Options
    Solanales wrote: »

Since most of the larger hotels are owned by a hand full of parent companies its not surprising that they would have black out dates across the line. I was just hoping there was a glimmer of hope to get a closer hotel.

What really stinks is that I live like 15 mi away from the con, but would prefer to pay to stay closer as the time wasted commuting, $$$$ parking and the convenience of being able to quickly pop back to the room for a mid afternoon nap is totally worth it. But not at the inflated prices they have listed now...they are like double the normal rates.

I have friends that live just outside of Boston, but they do the same for PAX. I mean Boston commuting is no joke anyways, so I can understand that.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    For folks in my group who live only an hour away and commute to PAX, I offer them our rooms to nap in or stash stuff during the day. I'm sure it's helpful if you can get one at an affordable rate, but if its not walking distance from the BCEC, it's not much better than just driving home for Clann.

• Options
    For folks in my group who live only an hour away and commute to PAX, I offer them our rooms to nap in or stash stuff during the day. I'm sure it's helpful if you can get one at an affordable rate, but if its not walking distance from the BCEC, it's not much better than just driving home for Clann.

Being from Boston and knowing what the traffic into and out of Boston proper is like, even on the weekends, not to mention the added traffic from the con, staying in town is worth it for the right price. As I would not have any where to drop off stuff, nap, or change. After walking the convention floor, sitting in panels and just being around so many people during the day I just feel icky and enjoy freshening up prior to going out to night activities. Driving home, just to turn back around to come back for parties, night panels, etc. is not something that I'd want to do. A usual 20 minute commute can turn in to 1.5/hrs in the blink of an eye, all this commuting would eat in to time I can spend enjoying PAX.

I was toying with the idea of just doing a room share for just the days, with no over nights. Having looked at what is available in the RS thread I don't yet see this as being more cost effective than just staying a little further away, when I add on the expense of parking or taking an Uber/Lyft. Yes, I know that roomshare situations are typically for overnights, but I have yet to convince my SO on the merits of that.

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    A bank of rooms just opened at the Boston Park Plaza!!! $178 a night...JUMP ON IT!

Now I can dump this patch work of reservations I have...releasing rooms at the Liberty and Langham.

How are the rooms at the Park Plaza? I have a reservation at the Hilton Boston Back Bay and I wouldn't mind paying a little less and being closer. I really haven't heard anything about the property, though, other than the bathrooms being extremely small.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options

How are the rooms at the Park Plaza? I have a reservation at the Hilton Boston Back Bay and I wouldn't mind paying a little less and being closer. I really haven't heard anything about the property, though, other than the bathrooms being extremely small.

I've only been in a BPP room once, when my sister was getting married that's where we got ready prior to the ceremony. It was an end unit so the room had a great view, regular size bathroom, and the room was a good size. Knowing the area the hotel is in a great location, short walk to the Common, tons of restaurants around it, and there are several T stops - red, orange and green lines within a short walk as well.

• Options

It's a very old hotel currently in the middle of a $95m gut renovation that's scheduled to be finished in Summer 2016. They finished the lobby/public space this summer and were supposed to start on the rooms this fall. Rooms are generally on the small side, and if the room you get isn't renovated by con-time (presumably most should be finished by that point), it will be pretty dated feeling.

The Back Bay Hilton is a pretty nice hotel (note: Do not park on site, it's >$30 a day), so I wouldn't currently put them in the same quality tier.

On the other hand, it's cheaper and a mile closer, close enough that I don't mind walking back from the BCEC/Downtown if I'm out late.

• Options
    Room share for just the days is interesting Clann, and I can see in your case how it would be very helpful. I'll send you a PM.

• Options
    millerm277 wrote: »

It's a very old hotel currently in the middle of a $95m gut renovation that's scheduled to be finished in Summer 2016. .
    The renovated rooms look nice.
    zjqx6f9c8az6.jpg
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/03/10/park-plaza-getting-million-makeover/tICUg00diA2aPXT28L2jnL/story.html

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I decided to jump on the Park Plaza. The new rooms like nice, and even if we end up in an old one, I keep reminding myself that we're saving $40 per room per night and we probably won't be in the hotel much anyway. I also have a list of 9 hotels I'd still prefer to book, but if this ends up being what we get, I think I'll be happy with it.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    millerm277 wrote: »

It's a very old hotel currently in the middle of a $95m gut renovation that's scheduled to be finished in Summer 2016. .
    The renovated rooms look nice.

Yes, I agree. (Although that is obviously a PR photo). However, if you look at say, Tripadvisor's photo section for the the hotel, you'll understand what I mean about some rooms currently being very tiny/awkwardly laid out and dated.

As I said, I've actually changed my reservation to the Park Plaza because it's in my price range and closer than the Holiday Inn, and I'm fine with the unrenovated state. Just I wouldn't want people to go in expecting a typical size room (especially if you were going to overload it with people on the floor) or a modern room when neither are guaranteed at this point, at least with the options given in OnPeak.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I've stayed in the old rooms in the park plaza - they're fine. They aren't expansive or grand, but they're functional hotel rooms in one of the most convenient spots in the city.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    People are saying the Park Plaza is small, would you say too small to do 4 (possibly 5) people? I'm booked at the Boston Marriott Copley Place but Park Plaza is looking tempting between being a bit closer and cheaper.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    People are saying the Park Plaza is small, would you say too small to do 4 (possibly 5) people? I'm booked at the Boston Marriott Copley Place but Park Plaza is looking tempting between being a bit closer and cheaper.

They're in the middle of a 100 mill reno to resolve stuff like that. Also, note that not ALL old rooms were small, as you would occasionally get a huge one due to the logistics of steam pipes etc.

• Options
    Phoenixwing666Phoenixwing666 Registered User regular
    Anyone have any information / opinion about the DoubleTree Bayside hotel? It's where I'm booked now but I'm wondering about shuttles after staying at the Omni last year and having a great shuttle experience.

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular

Thanks for that - just booked mine for Thurs-Sun!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png