As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 is over! Tix for PAX South 2017 go on sale in a month!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Goose! wrote: »
    I think if it were a bigger problem they might resort to that.

Not to hash semantics, but having to acknowledge that its a "bigger problem" recognizes that it is a problem as it currently exists, but just that they don't want to do anything about it. If they would have people pick up their badges instead of throwing them into the ether, this would all be moot. The 3 day badges sold out in 9 minutes and already there are almost 100 and climbing postings on Ebay with people selling multiple tickets at 2x or 3x pricing. They already kill a portion of the main exhibition floor just for a queue, why not put it to better use if people are going to be waiting in line every morning anyway? (And it's not like they're not used to standing in lines on the show floor anyway...)
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Didn't Khoo give an interview about the pass problem before? Wish I could remember where it was so I could link it/read it again

Anyway I'm pretty sure the jist was that it's a problem and they know it's a problem but they've tried or explored basically every possible solution and none of them actually fix the problem in a satisfactory way

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/how-penny-arcade-manages-pax-ticket-sales-and-why-your-crazy-idea-to-fix-them-wont-work/

Kwoaru
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think if it were a bigger problem they might resort to that.

Not to hash semantics, but having to acknowledge that its a "bigger problem" recognizes that it is a problem as it currently exists, but just that they don't want to do anything about it. If they would have people pick up their badges instead of throwing them into the ether, this would all be moot. The 3 day badges sold out in 9 minutes and already there are almost 100 and climbing postings on Ebay with people selling multiple tickets at 2x or 3x pricing. They already kill a portion of the main exhibition floor just for a queue, why not put it to better use if people are going to be waiting in line every morning anyway? (And it's not like they're not used to standing in lines on the show floor anyway...)
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Didn't Khoo give an interview about the pass problem before? Wish I could remember where it was so I could link it/read it again

Anyway I'm pretty sure the jist was that it's a problem and they know it's a problem but they've tried or explored basically every possible solution and none of them actually fix the problem in a satisfactory way

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/how-penny-arcade-manages-pax-ticket-sales-and-why-your-crazy-idea-to-fix-them-wont-work/

I've read that interview before and I still call bullshit. The idea that badge pickup would take 2-3 hours and yet SOMEHOW some of the largest sci-fi, comic, and anime cons have had that model for years and have a fraction of that projected wait time? Sure, maybe it's 2-3 hours if you've got 10 people working the reg booths. They've got the MCCA at their beck and call and the resources of ReedPop. If you've got even 20 folks checking IDs and handing over badges (which is all you need) and that line will fly.

People are lining up on Friday morning already and for some far longer than 2-3 hours just standing outside. And its not like everyone in attendance all weekend long shows up on Friday morning all at once. So if they're going standing around, why not make productive use of that time and eliminate what is still a problem, even if there is a debate concerning its scope. If its because the way PAX is structured its only the core PA staff actually doing all the work such that you don't want to relinquish control or have the manpower, that's fine. But don't basically lie straight up about how unfeasible it is when cons your size and larger are doing it with less wait times. Dragoncon has somewhere between 75-100k people coming through. It took me roughly 15-20 mins to get my badge including walking over to get it. Hell, locally here at AB, we processed 27k and the longest wait time was 20 mins.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hmmm...I might try AirBNB

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Why not use the roomshare thread on the PAX forum? That's what I did for my first PAX, worked like a charm.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I picked up badges and a hotel just in case, but I'm still debating whether or not I want to call off my plans for South to do this instead, or try to do both.

That second option is not looking too viable right about now.

Decisions.

[IMG][/img]
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    You are a very angry person.

If you think I am full of shit and a liar, then I guess I don't know what to say to you, other than you are dealing with a very limited amount of information, whereas I am dealing with not only reams of it, but real data - not numbers pulled from press releases or out of thin air.

You and I have the same goal, which is the best possible experience for attendees (or at least that is my goal). If you think for some reason I am not a good steward of this show, a role I have been doing for 10+ years, that is your opinion - most likely an unpopular one.

You are more than welcome to attend other shows. Take care.

Some guy.
    PsykomaRayzeDisruptedCapitalistcabsyLoonyEclipse
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Why not use the roomshare thread on the PAX forum? That's what I did for my first PAX, worked like a charm.

Because I would ideally be in my own private room and not sharing a room, and if I did share a room, I'd rather it be with someone I know (like youse guys).

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Hi Robert!

Thank you for everything you do <3

Romanian My EscutcheonCelloDisruptedCapitalistKwoaruDysSlacker71
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    You are a very angry person.

If you think I am full of shit and a liar, then I guess I don't know what to say to you, other than you are dealing with a very limited amount of information, whereas I am dealing with not only reams of it, but real data - not numbers pulled from press releases or out of thin air.

You and I have the same goal, which is the best possible experience for attendees (or at least that is my goal). If you think for some reason I am not a good steward of this show, a role I have been doing for 10+ years, that is your opinion - most likely an unpopular one.

You are more than welcome to attend other shows. Take care.

Wow, I didn't expect a response. I'm not angry, but frustrated. All the same, I'll try to keep my language more civil if this becomes an actual conversation.

I'm not claiming you are full of shit, but the article itself is quite infuriating with references to "Armchair convention organizers" and "one weird trick", like it's all a bunch of gimmicks called out from the peanut gallery. As someone who has, at this point, also given literal blood, sweat, and tears for 10 going 11 years for conventions and attended cons for more years than that, it seemed rather flippant and by proxy made any responses seem rather dismissive. I recognize that may be out of your control, but that set the tone for my response.

I also recognize that yes, I do not have the data specific to how all of PAX East operates, but I do have the data from my own convention, a considerable amount of experience both running a convention and attending others to know what does and does not work for registration. I think you would at least agree, that there is a scalping issue small or otherwise. My initial solution to the problem would be tying IDs to tickets to be picked up at show or even add a Thursday pre-reg pick-up to combat any waiting times. I like PAX, it's a good show. And like all good things, I like to see it get better and my criticisms stem from that. Obviously this is your business and you can deal with that problem as you see fit and run your show as you would like it.

I was merely expressing my opinion, and only my opinion, on the matter in a thread discussing the convention, and doubt my remarks are worse than others being shared around the internet on the subject. I am not trying to denigrate your role as steward of the show, I think the rest of it runs fine. I apologize if my criticism of one facet of the convention reflected on the rest of it. I wish you success in the coming year and best of luck.

The Otaku Suppository on
    I found an AirBNB that was very highly rated and was its own place with separate entry rather than a room in someone's place for cheaper than any hotel and it's near the T. What can you tell me about Forest Hills/Jamaica Plain @The Otaku Suppository

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's nice over there. You'd have to take the Orange Line which is sometimes slower to show up than the other subway lines, but it's not bad. Lot of hipsters live over there.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    I found an AirBNB that was very highly rated and was its own place with separate entry rather than a room in someone's place for cheaper than any hotel and it's near the T. What can you tell me about Forest Hills/Jamaica Plain @The Otaku Suppository

When you say Forest Hills/JP there's a number of neighborhoods in that area that run the gamut. JP itself is alright. It's a rapidly gentrifying area. Lot of hipsters like Disrupted said. If it's near the T, make sure its the actual train, and not a bus. That will just complicate the commute. Also, bear in mind, late night service for the T might be discontinued by the time the con rolls around so the trains and buses will stop running around 12:30 instead of 1:30-2.

DisruptedCapitalist
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fixed my hotel fuckup the other day, so goddamn relieved

Turns out when you're clicking days in the Onpeak system, they last day you click is the day you want to check out, not there last day you want to stay

Accidentally booked Thu-Sat instead of Thu-Sun at first, and ended up calling the hotel to book a room for Sat night at their normal rate, like $250 more than the Onpeak rate

Just logged into the Onpeak system the other morning and was able to snag Saturday night for my reservation though! And then go cancel my expensive single night reservation through the hotel. Probably saved myself somewhere in the neighborhood of three hundred bucks to spend on other dumb stuff and/or alcohol

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I got a Fri and Sat, could have done Sun too but I'm not spending $150 on tickets. Also, damn hotel prices are up a lot over the last few years. I'm not even 100% sure I'll keep the tickets. I might have to make South my main one and only now, even though I've never missed an East and it doesn't feel right not going.

Let's split a hotel room then!

I somehow didn't see this until now, and didn't realize you were going. I'm rooming with @rhylith so reach out to him and see what can be done.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Yeah @javen if you want to room with us that's fine!

I'll give you the details when I get back from the holidays.

I have to wait until closer to April for AirBNB I guess since apparently the prices on their right now are just for the winter?

Hey PAX East thread. I know PAX South comes first, but I just got my AirBNB booked for realsies finally and I am excited! I am staying on Beacon St. so I'll be way closer to Jillians. So that's neat.

Maddoc
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fuck me, Spirit Airlines has made searching for flights obnoxious

They always show up as the cheapest option because you're going to drop another fifty bucks just for a carry on bag

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    We just decided to road trip it, I think. Cheaper and easier for me to figure out how the hell to get there if I end up changing cities before April.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    tynic
    I would do that, but no car sadly

Oh wow this is coming up quick isn't it?

MaddocKwoaruDys
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Maddoc you should have told me you were looking at Spirit Airlines flights so I could have warned you that Spirit Airlines is shit from a butt with a Microtransactions practice that EA would be jealous of

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    oh hai pax east thread

So now that this thing has resurfaced, I have a question that requires answering. Okay, more like questions. Which is like a question, but plural.

Since we've done karaoke at Prime and South, I was looking into doing it at East so that we can achieve the Holy Karaoke Trinity. Though I figure I should gauge interest before making any actual plans

So, the relevant questions;

1) Who would be down for a Karaoke type deal on Friday and/or Saturday night? We would be at Limelight Studios, which is not super far from the convention center and has a bunch of positive reviews on Yelp and Google. Also, they do private rooms.

2) Since I haven't organized a karaoke night on this scale before now, would it be shitty and/or bad to ask people to kick in anywhere from $5 - $10 for the room?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited February 2016
    Can the place initially appear to be completely deserted and look like something out of one of the Saw movies from the outside? Because that adds to the experience.

Goose! on
    Ketargodmode
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Can the place initially appear to be completely deserted and look like something out of one of the Saw movies from the outside? Because that adds to the experience.

Does it have a long hallway out of every Korean revenge flick?

Because that also adds to the experience.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    CelloGoose!godmode
    edited February 2016
    Zonugal wrote: »

Are we talking about a Snowpiercer type long hallway? Narrow metal walkway above dangerous active machinery?

I need details so that I can craft an evening of excitement that caters to all potential tastes.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Maddoc you should have told me you were looking at Spirit Airlines flights so I could have warned you that Spirit Airlines is shit from a butt with a Microtransactions practice that EA would be jealous of

Yeah, the problem is that when you use any of the flight search places, Spirit is included in those searches and is usually the cheapest displayed options even though they're definitely not the cheapest if you have even one bag.

As always, I will recommend http://www.skiplagged.com because it rocks

Yeah, I've been checking them too but it is looking like the only way they can save me any significant amounts of money is epic eight hour trips and fuuuuck that

Man I like PAX east because it always feels more laid back. I am most likely going to sit out of karaoke because it consumes an entire night, adds more chaos to an already hectic weekend, and just ends up another excuse to drink too much. Much rather go get some good food and find a place to hang out and relax.

DidgeridooNaphtali
    I always do a bad job of splitting time between hanging out with forumers, and hanging out with my friends who live up in Mass because that's where I grew up.

I should probably go to South next year or something just to ignore the con itself and hang out with people.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Are we talking about a Snowpiercer type long hallway? Narrow metal walkway above dangerous active machinery?

I need details so that I can craft an evening of excitement that caters to all potential tastes.

I think he might mean like in Oldboy?

Anyways, I might be conned into this, depending on what eve the Giant Bomb panel is.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    Zonugal
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Nah, that hallway was definitely like the Raid 2

I walked around the corner at one point, stared down at a group of people that just showed up and fully expected one person to have a set of hammers, and another to have a baseball bat

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    ...Boston: THE VIDEO GAME

With soundtrack, by Boston.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Produced in Montreal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Produced in Montreal.

With voicework by PK Subban?

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
    oh hai pax east thread

So now that this thing has resurfaced, I have a question that requires answering. Okay, more like questions. Which is like a question, but plural.

Since we've done karaoke at Prime and South, I was looking into doing it at East so that we can achieve the Holy Karaoke Trinity. Though I figure I should gauge interest before making any actual plans

1) Who would be down for a Karaoke type deal on Friday and/or Saturday night? We would be at Limelight Studios, which is not super far from the convention center and has a bunch of positive reviews on Yelp and Google. Also, they do private rooms.

2) Since I haven't organized a karaoke night on this scale before now, would it be shitty and/or bad to ask people to kick in anywhere from $5 - $10 for the room?

1) You'll want a private room. Don't even consider the alternative which is fighting 100 delusional Broadway hopefuls hogging the stage in the main room.

2) It's not unreasonable. Rooms cost money and karaoke is generally not free.

Romanian My Escutcheon
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh hai pax east thread

1) You'll want a private room. Don't even consider the alternative which is fighting 100 delusional Broadway hopefuls hogging the stage in the main room.

2) It's not unreasonable. Rooms cost money and karaoke is generally not free.

Yeah, in my experience, something like $5 per person per hour is pretty reasonable. And private rooms are 100% the way to go.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I not attending PAX-East, but as a mega-narcissist I can say I vastly prefer an open bar/lounge to a private room.

I want strangers to see me perform.

I want them to witness me.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Goose!NeoTomaSlacker71Elaro
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I not attending PAX-East, but as a mega-narcissist I can say I vastly prefer an open bar/lounge to a private room.

I want strangers to see me perform.

I want them to witness me.

The problem with open bar (assuming you even do care about people you don't know, which I don't at all) is that the more people there are there to perform for, the more people there are that also want to perform, which means you get to perform less.

Like, if I just wanna hang out and see some public spectacle while eating some greasy bar food, public karaoke is fine.

If I want to actually sing and have fun with my friends, it's private all the way. Especially if you already have a big group of people of your own. I was subjected to the hell that is public karaoke on a cruise ship, and just...my god. You would have been like a cool, relaxing balm compared to the horrors released on that stage.